"R" We ready

Sugar Valley, GA(Zone 7b)

Sarv... That is awful...I am so sorry....
I have been going through that since 2000...on my birthday to be precise... My Hubby had heart failure, and needed immediate bypass surgery...Sextuple....He was 27 days from being covered by insurance on his new job...It devastated us financially...If I didn't/don't work, we didn't eat...very simple....We have never been able to recover from that...It takes every cent I make in addition to his SS to survive...

That is why we couldn't take that house in Kazoo...I didn't care about the pool....It was just to do us through the winter...

We need a place down near Nottawa/Sturgis area.....

south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

There are so many people in this area living hand to mouth, that I don't want to complain at our status. We own our home and don't have any big debt. We spend way too much feeding my kids and my folks. That will have to come to a halt or at least cut back. I almost wish we were a couple years old so we could collect SS!!

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

sarv, I'm sorry about your husband losing his job. My husband retired last January and he has thought of trying to get a part time job for something to do. He's run into the age discrimination thing I think. He is 66 years old. He does get a good pension and social security plus we have my mom's social security (she lives with us) but who knows how long that will be coming with the economic news the government is going broke. We just try to count our blessings and live day to day and cut back where we can.

One thing that has helped us a lot is growing as much of our food as we can. I put most of it up in the freezer but have invested in two dehydrators I plan on learning how to use. I've already bought next year's vegetable seeds. Yesterday, we worked on putting my old plant growing shelving unit together out in the bunkhouse. We're almost done. It is big. It has three levels. Each level has it's own light unit that holds four 4' long grow lights. All together it holds 12 big trays and each tray can hold 50 plugs with seeds. I can grow up to 600 plants at a time. I don't plan on starting anything till April but I wanted it clean and assembled so all I have to do is bring the trays in the house and put my Jiffy peat pellets in and sow the seed then carry back out and put under the lights. I plan on running the lights at night since that is when it's the coldest. Hopefully, the lights will heat the small bunkhouse up. It is 10' x 16'. They put out a lot of heat. We'll see. I want to be as self sufficient as I can be and be able to grow the varieities of vegetables I choose. I bought all heirloom seeds which I can save the seed from. I'm still learning and working toward that goal.

The prices are all going up so high in the stores so hopefully by growing what I can we'll save on our food bill. I'd like to learn how to can and get the things necessary to do that.

Stay warm. We're working on that too. Trying to get used to a lower number on the thermostat. We're dressing warmer in the house and our beds are nice and warm with flannel sheets and warm comforters.

Brenda

south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

Thanks Loon!! Today was his last day...I have mixed feelings...it is kinda scary knowing that there won't be another check coming in and in reality no hope of another job. He just turned 60, so he has some time before SS. We worked outside bagging leaves and dumping them in the garden. We canned and froze some veggies this year, but next summer I'm sure we'll do more!

We are really home bodies....so no worry about blowing the budget on entertainment! But I do feed my kids/parents often. We will have to cut back there...and that makes me sad. I'm uncomfortable asking them to bring items, but I may have to get over that! My kids are both young families and their jobs are not at all secure either! This job situation is really the pits. Just heard that there are a ton of more cuts that were just announced today.

We are heating with at least half wood and the house is way tooooo warm for me!! I like it cold

Sugar Valley, GA(Zone 7b)

Same here Brenda....Flannel sheets and feather Duvets....Once we get in our own place, we will be using mostly wood for heat also...We are using nothing but electric heaters here at the moment...

I am a huge fan of freezing foods...I prefer the fresh texture and taste... Some things, like Beets, l prefer to be canned...I just hope I have a big garden space for next summer...

No news yet, so I am kinda bummed...

It was 19 here this morning so its gonna be a cold move when it finally gets done....

Happy Veterans Day everyone.....

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

morning every one ;0) its raining here right now Traveler (puppy) and I got in just in time I know how the down sizing of jobs feels I was scared when hubby got hurt and could no longer work and it was my check we were living on now he gets his ss and that makes it easyer but you learn to ajust the budget and we are doing fine for now
Traveler had his last puppy shots yesterday he weighs 45 lbs now so dose that mean hes not a baby any more?? the vet called them his big boy shots ;0) well have a good day I have to go get ready for work
Gloria

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Gloria, Travler sure has grown. I am not sure I would want him on my lap though. Ha.

I can also relate to what is going on here. Alot of you know that I had lost my job due to cutbacks in Jan of 06. Our income was cut in half. I hunted and hunted for a job and it was until last summer when I found a part time job that pays about 1/2 per hour what I had made. (and half the hours) It really helps and we are starting to recover somewhat. I never thought we would be able to make it that long with only one paycheck and the price of gas and heathcare skyrocketing.

We did major cutbacks, we bought whole foods, froze food, hunted wild game, cut and burned wood and other cost cutting things. It has been tough.

I had a hard time with my age too. And then as the time was longer without a job, that counted against me too. I was really fortunate to find this job, and I really like it.

Hope you all can make it though these tough times. It gets very depressing at times, but you have to think about what you have. A loving spouse, a warm house, health, whatever. It will get you though.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Yeah I right there with you all... My husband and I both lost our jobs a couple of years ago. On the same day. We both worked at Kmart for over 19 years and they do "work force reduction" and we gor reduced to nothing.... But we both have full time jobs and making either more or just a touch less than at that store.... We even like our jobs now and we are not working as hard. I only wish we had more sun in our yard to grow veggies and stuff. We used to can everything when I was a kid. It was work, but fun. We made it a family affair. Yeah we have our furnace turned down a little lower now also. But we will deal with it. Im at the age where I like it a little cooler also. My husband says a man shouldn't have to be cold in his own house. We do not have wood only natural gas. Thank God we have that and not fuel oil. Even propane is way high isn't it? Well its a nasty evening. We are having phone problems. Have to find out tommorow about that. Have a great evening. Ronna

Trenton, MI(Zone 5b)

I like my house colder and have made my family suffer for years with a cold house. We have throws and blankets in every room. LOL
Just a warning here: LOL ... But 2 years ago, we tried to keep the thermatat at 60 degrees day/55 at night. Burrrrrr, the 60 degrees in the day is too cold if you are home. I walked around with a coat on most times. So it is back up to 65 day/55 night.

For all of you struggling in these hard economic times, my prayers go out for you. My hubby works for GM, but thankfully he is still working.

tfa

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

cparts he is getting a bit big to be up here and I have to type with one hand hes still such a baby;0)
my little mister and I have an on going THING with the heat every year I like it cooler than he dose I jusst keep telling him to get up and move;0) speaking of work I have to go get ready I hate this time of year at the market ALL THAT VENISON lots of work have a good day !!!!!!
Gloria

Macomb, MI(Zone 5b)

Men are such pansy's when it comes to the heat....I tell mine put some darn clothes
on then....we all are in our sweats and have many blankets on the couch ect ect.
he doesn't know it but I'm reprogramming the thermastat to 62...it's at 65 now and
if it becomes to cold I just click it up one to get the chill out...we have to do all we
can do to be able to pay these unaffordable bills... so I guess we could do some
jumping jacks to raise our body temperatures...wooo hoooo or maybe if I put a
8 lb weight in his hand other than the remote for the tv and he could move that around
hmmmmm ;o)

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Morning everyone.

It's another cloudy, dreary day here in AuGres. It isn't as cold as it's been though. I heard on the weather it's going up to 55 today. Woo hoo!! I'm trying to talk the hubby into helping me put up the fake garland and red bows I bought after Christmas last year. I want to drape it all along the white picket fence. I think it will look so homey. I sure don't want to be putting it up when it's freezing and windy. Today's the day. Now, I just have to convince him of that. :)

I also tell him to put more clothes on when he complains of being cold. I tell him, "where's your fleece?" I guess he's getting the idea. Today after his shower he put on the flannel lined jeans I bought him and a nice warm sweatshirt. I think he has his thermals on under that too. :) I'm glad he's getting with the program. Sometimes I save any baking to do in the evening so the oven warms up the house. Our house is really tiny so it doesn't take much to warm it up. I like to bake a pan of cornbread or a cassarole for supper. After the sun goes down we close all the drapes to help hold in the heat. On sunny days it is great. I have lots of big windows that allows the sun to flood in and heat the house for us. Where is the sun by the way? I want my sun back. I don't mind the cold but need sunlight.

I want to bake some cookies for my diabetic husband, mother and couple of friends. I ordered a new type of sugar called agave nectar that is supposed to be better for diabetics. I'm eager to try it out. I also have on order some liquid Splenda that is very very concentrated. It's like learning how to cook all over again.

I want to pull my van into the pole barn and clean it out really good before winter. I need to Armour-all the vinyl and clean the carpeting etc. It's one of my last chores to do before winter. I bought the granddaughter her Christmas gift already. It's "hiding" in the basement. It is a doll that comes with her own toilet, sink etc. She is learning how to use the potty and brush her teeth and wash her hands. We're hoping that will help with the potty training. Stacey loves to role play so I think she will love that. I'll probably ......... no.....make that for sure..........buy a few more little things to go with that. :) The rest of us aren't really exchanging gifts. We all have everything we need. I wil get mom something to open since she's just like a kid.........probably a pretty sweatshirt. We've scaled way way back on Christmas gifts. I think others are doing the same. It's hard not to try to make a nice Christmas for the little ones though.

Weatherman says more showers are coming in tonight and tomrrow. I'm glad in a way. It's good for the trees, bushes, flowers etc. to go into winter with a good drink before the ground freezes. Looks like after Saturday the night time temps are going into the 20's. brrrrrrrrrrrrrr............. get under those covers and snug up. We have started a nighttime tradition of having a mug of hot sugar free cocoa before we go to bed. We sleep like babies. :)

Stay warm everyone. It's so nice to meet you all here in cyberspace and share and chat.

Brenda

Trenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Brenda, I can smell all that wonderful food you are baking at your house. Yummmm!

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Morning everyone!

The guns are going off here already. Season doesn't start till tomorrow but I guess everyone is siting in their guns or something. :) I'm surrounded by large parcels of hunting land. Across the road is 94 acres and I know the hunters are over there getting ready. My 28 acres ajoins another 28 and I know they're hunting. Behind my parcel there are a couple 40 acres I think all the way to the next road. Not sure if the hunters are out there now or not. On the other side of my is about 25 acres and I know they're hunting. They're baiting too because the dummys have their open pickup truck and trailer loaded down with clear plastic bags of deer feed. :) My husband doesn't hunt. I think my son is going to come hunt tomorrow but not sure. I told the deer to hang out here and just lay down for two weeks till it's all over. They don't listen though. ha ha ha

We got our garland and red bows put up on the picket fence yesterday. Looks really nice. I need to buy a couple more packages of garland and about 4 more bows. No telling how much it costs this year. I got all the rest on sale after Christmas last year. Oh well. '

It's wet and cloudy and dreary. I heard we're getting more rain and some place may get snow. We're all ready for it I guess.

I've got stripes on my lawn. Hubby must have missed his line when he was putting down the fall fertilizer. :) Makes for an interesting look I guess.

What is everyone doing this weekend? Only two more weeks till Thanksgiving. Is everyone cooking or going out or to friends/relatives?

Have a great weekend everyone. How many are hunting widows?

Brenda

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

I started a new thread over here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/923744/
figure this might be getting long for dial ups!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.