"R" We ready

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

its a 11:30 ish and its 37°
are we really ready for what coming
where did summer
snow in the UP!!!

Thumbnail by notmartha
south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

gag.....I hate winter.....why am I still in Michigan?

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

I know most of the time I get out of work at 7:30 pm. Now I have to remember to bring a jacket with me. It was cold last night! The sky certainly looked like autumn! Brrr. Have not turned on the furnace yet. Many people at work have already! Little to early we have all winter to pay that stupid bill huh? My front garden sure was beautiful this year. My Ice Ballet swamp milk weed is such a pretty color and my Autumn Joy Sedum. The obedient plants are purple and beautiful! Love the colors of autumn. The trees are changing we have lots of yellows and some reds. Very nice. Except for all the white thats on its way...... Ronna

Macomb, MI(Zone 5b)

Shhhhh, don't say white and that other word thats starts with a W or an S......ughhhh!
It was 60 in the house this morning and I turned the switch from cool to heat this morning to take the chill out. But on a better note atleast the sun is out this morning seems to make my day a whole lot better...I just hope it stays out! ;o)

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Not ready at all, need more warm weather!!!!!

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

I've been trying to get ready. It got down to 41 at my house last night. When we woke up this morning it was 67 degrees in the house. We haven't turned on the furnace yet and will try to delay doing so. We're all wearing fleece sweatshirts to stay comfortable. We're watching our heat bills too. We had foam insulation put in the walls of our house a few weeks ago and I can really tell a difference in the house already. We hope it will help with heating costs.

I've got both the vegetable garden and my flower garden put to bed for the winter. I've put a blanket of leaves mixed with grass clippings over both. Today we'll work on cleaning out the pole barn and getting ready to bring our boat home from the marina and winterizing it. I still need to put all the hoses and patio cusions away and bring my geraniums in the house for winter. I will go ahead and plant my mums I bought. They're in full bloom now and I'd like to have them next year. I may wait till next week to do that though.

We got all the bedding washed and put out on the line to dry yesterday. We won't put the flannel sheets on for a few more weeks. We still have a lot of leaves to come down so we'll be working on that for the next few weeks I'm sure. I love ash leaves because they're already brown and dried up when they hit the ground and are great for the garden. I try to get the outside stuff done early so I don't have to be outside doing it when it gets too cold. I get stiff and just can't do it any more. I was chilled when I came in yesterday after being outside all day. Homemade soup went down good with a pot of coffee. :)

I doubt we'll get any more warm weather. The nights will go down to the 30's and the days won't hit much over 50. I might be wrong though. I don't think so though.

Take care everyone and stay warm!!

Brenda

Jerome, MI(Zone 5b)

Oh dear...everyone is right where did the summer go...It must have been because it was so late getting here...Hubby just brought the boat in...only was out ..4 times this year..every year it seems..it is less....Bought in two plants last night..got down to 40's outside..lol have not turned the heat on yet..but...after this am..I think I will at least put the electric blanket on..lol...the flowers are beautiful still..but it is only time...not ready for this..lol..but..I have no choice..
hahaha..ok everyone...have a great day...

enjoy sending smiles..Diana

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

well I'm here to testifie its cold out at 4:30 in the a.m. !!! puppy potty time I'm still trying to get every thing done for winter the pontoon is all done but I still have bulbs comming hope there here by this week end so I can get everything done I'm sure this will be my last chance ;0(
Gloria

I still have 7 knock out roses to get into the ground. It is cold, windy and rainy here...just plain nasty. I have the woodstove going even!!

Jerome, MI(Zone 5b)

Aw great...Our Pontoon is out too...but still have to finish that job..power wash and stuff..and cover it...lots to do when you live on a lake...They say rain for the weekend..geeze..I was liking the last couple of weeks.. Oh well...

have a good night...smiles..Diana

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

I think wwe will get some more warm weather before the cold is here to stay!!!!!
the Pool is put away-whaaaannn
I still have HOT peppers in the garden-going to freeze them!
I was out collecting dl seeds today again --a few more then i should be done
I still have blooms and reblooms!
I have more bulbs coming and will have to plant them before the snow flies!

sarv- you can send them roses to me if you have to many to plant ;)

darn chilly 2nite!!!

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

morning every one man it got cold here last night !!! I think I'm going to get some knock out here next year
the little mister should be home I think Sat. thank goodness then maybe I can get the rest of my stuff done hard to garden and watch Traveler at the same time hes way to much help he discovered the tomatoes last night !!! he loves them ripe or not so they will be the first thing gone tonight well got to get ready for work the venison is piling up at the store so far I don't see where no baiting is slowing it down any ;0)
Gloria

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Pretty cool this morning 34' here. Nice for hunting though, maybe that is why you are working so hard.

I passed on a couple deer yesterday. One was ok, but I like larger. It is just as hard to process a med sized one as one that has 25 more lbs of meat. (can you tell we do our own?)

Gotta work today, or I would be out there again.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

My co-op bulb order came so I still have those to plant. We got our first frost last night but not a bad one. Everything still looks ok in the garden. I still have peppers to pick so I hope we get some warmer weather.

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

well as of yesterday at the store we have done 5 karaboo 3 bear 1 antalope and 12 deer and I have no idea how many lbs. of boned meat oh I forgot all the ducks and geese!!! they were shooting up a storm this morning on the lake (for geese) sounded like a war zone ;0) I hope it warms up today I have a lot to get in and out of the beds
Gloria

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

It got down to 32 here last night and there was frost on the ground this morning. I brought my geraniums in the house yesterday. I still have some seeds to pull. Got the pole barn all cleaned out. Still have the boat to pull out and winterize and the old barn and garage to clean. Taking a break this weekend though. I'm sore and played out. Lots of work.

Have a wonderful weekend everyone.

Brenda

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

I think today is opening day of duck season. It sounded like the 4th of july out there. I can see at least 3 different groups of hunters out there.

I sure didn't see any deer in the woods with all that booming. When I got back to the house, I walked out to see if I could see hunters out there. Just then I scared up some ducks that were out front, they went right over the hunters.
Ooooops.

Maybe they could scare some deer my way later. Fat chance.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Very chilly here also.... Insulated the crawl space and walls. Man its cold in the basement over the winter maybe it will help keep the floors warmer? The wind sure has been blowing and the wind is sharp.
Have to remember to take a coat with. The trees sure are getting pretty though!!!

Have not heard a word from our son who know is in Iraq. Sure would make my day if he called his mommy! Kinda scary with him there. But isn' the saying "no news is good news?" Have a great week all my michigander friends! Ronna

Bad Axe, Mich., FL(Zone 5a)

With this colder weather I just want to sleep in later in the day. Finally got moving and mowed the grass. Then I set fire to my brush pile that has been there for two years. Anyone want to bring hot dogs. We could also have smores.LOL My front was toasted but my buns were not hot crossed. Had to come in and take a hot shower to warm them up.
There was frost here Saturday morning and I didn't get up early enough to see it this am, but I'm sure it was there.
I took the screens off the garage so I could park my car inside because I was afraid there might be some of that white stuff coming real soon. I'm not ready for that.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Raining today, but here is an early morning picture from yesterday out my front window.
(it was a little dark yet and should have used the tripod, but...)

I love fall. It is my favorite. How can you not like the cool fresh air, the pumpkins, cider, the colors of the trees, the crunch of the leaves when you walk in the woods. Instead of worrying about the s*** that will come. Enjoy some of the nicest days Mich will give you.

Thumbnail by cpartschick
AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

That sure is a beautiful picture you took there. I love fall. My woods are mostly ash trees that don't have very good fall color. SInce moving here I've planted a lot of maples just for the fall color. I can't wait till they're really big and beautiful. I will probably be cursing all the leaves though. :) The ash tree leaves come down all dry and cruching and are great for tilling into the vegetable garden. That part I like.

It's a dreary, cloudy, rainy day today. Mom, who is 92 with dementia, keeps wanting to go back to bed. She thinks it's bedtime. :) I keep telling her it's morning not nighttime. Poor thing gets her days and nights mixed up.

I'm getting struts put on my van. I had new tires put on yesterday and found out it needed struts. They ordered them and gave me an 8 o'clock appointment. I got up early and drove 17 miles to Standish only to find out the struts weren't there yet so I came back home. I got back at 11:30. I think I'll call before I leave this time to make sure they're there. Hated to have that big bill but we have to take care of our vehicles and keep them maintained.

Still working on fall chores. Got the big pole barn cleaned out nicely. Still have the old barn and garage on the hit list to clean next. I think I will go ahead and plant the mums I bought. They're in bloom and looks so pretty but I'd like to try to winter them over so I'll have them next year. I planted a row of them last fall but only one survived. I think I waited too long to get them in the ground. They need some time to root in before the ground freezes.

Have a great day everyone.

Brenda

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

rain here today too and i slept in!
myself i cant stand fall-it a sure sign winter is on the way(everything is dieing in the fall and it depresses me to the max)
Im a spring/summer girl-full of new life and growth and WARMTH

I still have more bulbs and daylilies coming in the mail!!! hope to have some warm days to plant them
oh and i have glads to dig up-i hate diggin and storing stuff all winter!

your pic is pretty-the trees are always pretty when the change colors-right before they dropp all
their leaves and become naked for winter!!! ;) lol

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Thanks. I just went for a walk in the woods and the maples are incredible. Too dark and rainy for pictures, but it sure is pretty.

It is suppose to be a great weekend. I hope everyone gets their bulbs planted and then gets to rest and have a beer or something. Enjoy this great weather.

I will be out trying to lure that huge lilly eatting doe that has been taunting me the last few days, into coming close enough to me to turn her into supper.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Yes very rainy here today also.... The sun never even broke thru the clouds. But when we left work the sun set was georgeous. Your photo is beautiful cparts.... Dont you just love autumn. I like the sweater weather. Its warmer this week than last. But not hot fine with me. Sorry notmartha!! LOL. You can take a nice brisk walk and not sweat. Not even sweat when you are watching t.v. Especially when your sleeping. Have a great week Ronna.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

I agree, and thanks for the compliment on the picture. I wish I would have used the tripod now to get a clearer picture.

Hopefully I will get out this weekend with the camera.

Notmartha has not started to get hotflashes yet. She may change her mind in a couple years about the hot weather.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Georgeous weather this week! Nice autumn days. Sunny. Aaahhh.

Jerome, MI(Zone 5b)

Well you can not beat today..I will take this till..what? March..maybe April..hehehe....going to be good till..Tuesday I guess...I will take it..lol...

happy day all...smiles..Diana

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

yes i was loving it too after i got out of that baby shower!!!! :)

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

oooh oooh whos having a baby?? my last night was a lovely night the kids behind us had a bomb fire a big one I was to tierd to even go over there its still burning!!! they were quiet though been real busy with the puppy we start puppy school on Wednesday hope every one has a great day won't be many of them left be for the you know what blows ;0)
Gloria

Sugar Valley, GA(Zone 7b)

Good Morning everyone...Jylgaskin met me over on the poultry forum and told me to come and say Hi...

I am in the process of moving to MI, near my youngest son, who lives in Colon...We are hoping to be there by Thanksgiving...My Grandparents lived in the tiny town of Flowerfield south of Kalamazoo, and I lived there in the mid 40's and early 50's, and spent all my summers there...
I am a retired Army nurse, and my DH is retired Navy, special ops...We are both Vietnam Vets, and that is my work now...Working with Vets on a volunteer basis, and I hope to get back at it once we get moved up there... I finally filed for my Soc.Sec. last week, though I have been eligible for some time now, so I guess I will be officially retired soon...

I love to garden, thanks to my GrandFather, and I hope to have chickens and brown eggs, and other livestock once spring comes...My son boards horses on his farm, so I guess we will be well rounded...

I raise Orchids, roses, and thanks to a dear friend, daylilys now...
I am looking forward to good black MI dirt, and being able to have my perennials that Gramps had, and all of my bulbs, and poppies and all of the summer annuals he raised..He had the most beautiful Tulips this side of Holland...I just hope I can do him justice when I get back to the dirt to do it with...This OH soil is nothing but hardpack clay, and everything struggles like crazy to grow here...

I hope everyone has a wonderful day, and I will check in from time to time as the packing goes on, and moving gets closer...

Dusty

This message was edited Oct 15, 2008 9:59 PM

Jerome, MI(Zone 5b)

Wowow well welcome back to Mi.....I know you will enjoy..the old feeling of home..lol...but...as to the soil...well not all of Mi..has great soil....we do not ..but...It still grows things well..with help...

So glad to have you be with us...Just join in..anytime...

sending smiles....Diana...

Sugar Valley, GA(Zone 7b)

Thank you Diana...It seems St Joseph county does seem to have really good soil...at least the parts I know, and where I'm going...Once I get my chickens and brooder house and compost area set up, my soil will really be ammended on a yearly rotating basis...This is the setup below that I am planning to do...One year the chickens on the left, and the garden on the right, and the next year you reverse it adding the compost before winter...Hopefully this both fertilizes and ammends the soil.. so we shall see how it works...

Thanks for the Welcome Home!

Dusty

Thumbnail by DustyDS

Welcome Dusty!! There's nothing like Michigan although in the middle of the winter, I yearn for Florida!

My dear cousin is a vet and was just put into the local Veterans Home. He is so happy there. I used to go make sure he was ok and clean his house. It is a wonder he is still alive..he live in squaler(drat..can't figure out how that is spelled!) , smoked non stop and had more mice in his house than dust bunnies. I bought decon by the case load. Now when I visit, he is cleaned up, freshly shaven and looks so nice. He lost an arm, and his clothes were always a mess. Now he is so nicely dressed. Anyhow, my hat goes off to all that help our servicemen.

Back to the garden. It is 80 deg here and almost too hot!!!

Fostoria, OH(Zone 5a)

Just got back from a trip to Harbor Springs, Petosky, Charlevoix and had beautiful weather the whole week. 60's,70,s even into the 80's. We got a real surprise when it came to to color! Boyne Highlands in Harbor Springs was beautiful; lots of reds and oranges. We took the drive up the coast (Tunnel of Trees) to Cross Village and saw no color at all. The trees were green, lloked very dry and leaves turn up the way they do when the are in drought. Go back into the middle of the state; Gaylord, Grayling and they have wonderful color there. The natives were saying that the warm weather keeps the water so warm that the trees don't get the cool weather they need to turn.
Lots of apples, sunflowers ready to harvest and cloudless days!
THIS is why I LOVE MICHIGAN!!

Thumbnail by ladydragon5
Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Wow what a great picture!
This fall has been prettier than ever.
Welcome to the Mi forum, Dusty.

Thumbnail by cpartschick
Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

Welcome back home dusty I can't imagine living any where else I love fall and spring here hope to hear from you a lot let us know how the move goes we will Cheer you on all the way ;0)
Gloria

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Welcome Dusty! I'm glad you joined in. I hope your move back to Michigan goes smoothly. We just moved to mid Michigan a few years back. We lived in southeast Michigan. Hubby retired and we just love it up here. Fall colors are about peak around here I'd say. I like your plan for the garden and chickens. I think that is a very smart plan. We've tossed around the idea of getting some chickens but so far haven't got any. We just now got around to cleaning out the old barn. :)

Hope you join in here often. We have a nice group.

Brenda

Welcome, Dusty!! Glad you are making the move back to Michigan and I hope everything goes smoothly for you. Join in with us anytime.

Sarv48, where south of Grand Rapids are you? I grew up in Allegan until I married and moved to the eastern part of the state.

doro..I'm in Caledonia...just south of Grand Rapids....nice town.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.