Michigan Gardening: "R" We ready, 1 by Loon

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Loon

In reply to: "R" We ready

Forum: Michigan Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of "R" We ready
Loon wrote:
It sure was a beautiful day. I had to spend the afternoon in the hospital with my mom. She had a bowel impaction. Didn't get it taken care of there so I had to come home and do some things to help it along. :) I did rush out and start whacking on my roses. Hubby jumped in to help since he knew I had so many to do. I cut and put the cones on and he came after me and laid rocks on top. We got them all covered up . I put air holes on the top. I know it's hot now but not for long. I hope they survive.

Yes, I have to cover them because I have such a large deer herd here who won't leave them alone and if it's not the deer it's the dang rabbits. Covering them is my only hope of getting them through winter. I used to cover my roses up years ago when I lived in the city and had good success with it. It's a lot of extra work but I sure don't want to have to replace them. You never really know what kind of winter you are going to have and we get so much wind here as well. This will give them a little added protection. I jus thope the heavy rocks will hold them down. I'm debating about dumping some bagged mulch around the outside of them to help hold them down more. I have the mulch out in the pole barn. I bought a whole skid of it. We'll see how the weather is. If it's cold they'll have to fend for themselves. :) I won't work outside if it's cold and windy.

We dumped the rose trimmings in the woods for the animals. Driving through I saw a small herd laying down. They got up and just stood and looked at me. I told them they better lay back down because in the morning there will be people out there shooting at them. I think gun season starts tomorrow doesn't it? Or is it the 15th?

Well, I'm beat. The granddaughter is coming here to spend the night after she finishes up her trick or treating. I can't wait to see her. She is going to spend the night. Yippee!! She is Cinderella for Halloween

Brenda