Sept. Daily Weather, Part III What's happening in your yard?

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Oops – Stephanie – I missed welcoming you!
Kiska – Yeah, he’s a cutie LOL! Nice sunset!
Celia – Thank you : ) Your geranium is pretty! BTW – UFO :O
Marsue – It was smallest tree frog I’ve ever seen too. Congratulations to your GS on the win!
Sidney – LOL! I’m going with skyscraper on the trivia.
Dyson – Glad you finally got a pretty day. I think I’m going to play hookey on the first really nice Fall day we have.

77.0 °F / 25.0 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 57%
Dew Point: 61 °F / 16 °C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Pressure: 29.95 in / 1014.1 hPa (Steady)
Heat Index: 79 °F / 26 °C
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 13000 ft / 3962 m
Mostly Cloudy 20000 ft / 6096 m

Tonight
Partly cloudy. Patchy fog after midnight. Lows 67. Southeast winds 5 to 10 mph shifting to the southwest after midnight.

Kiska - No frog in sight! Here's a picture for you - hummer taken yesterday

Thumbnail by MySharona
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Oops - joey happy birthday type thingy. Adina happy anniversary type thingy. Everyone else - throw a shoe at me when you have a type thingy coming up!

Dark now and the "air handlers" are still on at the plant. So nice and quiet here after they shut down. But since the DW works at that plant I should be thankful for the noise this evening.

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Sidney...............I'm going with "C" Sidney! I'm impressed!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/665696/

early_bloomer

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

I'm impressed, too! congratulations on having a coleus named after you, sidney!! :o))

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

kiska - some use parsley only as a garnish. We use it so many ways, chopped fine and frozen or dried in the microwave. I use it in meatloaf, filled hamburgers ( with onion and celery), soups and stews, spaghetti sauce - any where you normally add a green herb. It is very high in calcium. Some people make parsley tea, also. Have not tried it. My DH favorite is boiled potatoes garnished with fresh parsley and butter. Good also as a garnish on oyster soup or clam chowder.

Beautiful day here. Sunshine after two days of rain is a blessing - but the rain was sorely needed. Our deep well problem won't be addressed until tomorrow. Oh WELL!. We are lucky that we still have electric and gas and the refrigerators and freezers work. Sufficient unto the day, is the evil thereof.

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Evenin' All! :D Thank you all for the well wishes, Rose, balloons, & thingy! :) I had a great day. 'Got lots of neat stuff, but I got to tell ya what JW got me. :) He got me a night shirt w/ several moose on it & it says..."I Moose Be Dreaming"! LOL!!
Marsue, I, like you, am way behind!
Adina, I'm late, but did you save me a piece? :D Looks Yummy! :D
Sidney! CONGRATS! On the "killer" Coleous! :D Really somethin' else having a flower named after you ! ;)
Sharon, I hope that Gary is feeling better...0 Platelets? :-O My prayers will be longer tonite.
Kiska, Frost! I suppose that it won't be long before you will be showing us those gorgeous shots of snow on you deck! I put Parsley in my potato soup. It compliments the sour cream. :) Gee! What a sunset! :D
Stephanie, Welcome! :D

Oh yea, the weather!
The high today was 73 w/a cool breeze. It's been great! The rain was out of here by Saturday nite & we had a total of 1 1/4". We did have one hard shower Sunday...
At Dublin...
Clear: 59°F
Feels like: 59°F
Barometer: 30.1 in
Dewpoint: 57°
Humidity: 94%
Visibility: 10 miles
Wind: 3 mph W
Sunrise: 7:17 AM
Sunset: 7:08 PM
UV Index: 0 Low

I've been mulling over my new job prospects...2 to be exact. One is with the public water system & the other is w/ a trucking company. What to do...

See ya in the morinin'! :D
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
(Zone 7a)

Very pretty flowers, Joey. Glad you had a good day.

It was nice again today. Special nice because my hubby announced yesterday, he quit smoking! No stinky smoke drifting into the house, no leftover odor in the garage, no having to dodge him when he's outside and I'm trying to walk past, no cancer...

I quit years ago and he promised me he would, too. Nice surprise. I'm pleased.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Sidney – Congratulations! I’m so happy for you!
Se_eds – I’m glad you finally got some rain! I use parsley in almost every meal I make. I use mine so much the plant gets too small and I have to buy another...
Joey – JW has an Alaskan sense of humor LOL (moose)! Pretty cluster of flowers. Make a list of the pros and cons of the jobs. It’s mostly all about the benefits, needless to say especially the medical…sheesh it's crazy how much Medicare has paid to the doctors, hopsitals, etc...
Celia – I’m very glad Darrell has decided to quit smoking. Beware – he will get grumpy, but that is short term. Here's a link for y'all. It's the benefits of quitting by day, month year, etc...
"Within the first 20 minutes of quitting, the healing process begins."

http://quitsmoking.about.com/cs/afterquitting/a/after_quitting.htm

72.7 °F / 22.6 °C
Overcast
Humidity: 80%
Dew Point: 66 °F / 19 °C
Pressure: 29.92 in / 1013.1 hPa (Falling)
Heat Index: 73 °F / 23 °C
Visibility: 3.0 miles / 4.8 kilometers
Clouds: Few 4000 ft / 1219 m
Mostly Cloudy 13000 ft / 3962 m
Overcast 20000 ft / 6096 m

Areas of fog in the morning...otherwise mostly cloudy with a 20% chance of showers...then partly cloudy in the afternoon. High 85. East winds 5 to 10 mph.

Taken yesterday from my front door towards the cul-de-sac - suns rays shining through :)

Thumbnail by MySharona
(Zone 7a)

Yea! Sidney!!! Such an honor.

Sharon, that's a lovely shot. Calendar worthy IMHO.

Our weather service is down today. I'm expecting the same as the last weeek. 85º-ish, high clouds, slight breeze.

Second flush on snaps.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Sharon: good picture of the hummer. Love the sun's rays coming through the trees, too! Very pretty and serene looking! I'm going to send that link you posted to my former daughter-in-law (DGS' mother with whom we still have a good relationship). She's been trying to quit smoking--hopefully it will help her.
Celia: congrats on Darrel's quitting! Let us know how he progresses!
se_eds: you made me hungry with all that talk about parsley, etc. My mother used to make "parsleyed potatoes" quite often. I don't know why I haven't served those in a while--think I will do that soon.
Joey: That surely must be a cute nightshirt!! LOL Is that a goldenrod in your picture? What Sharon said about choosing the right job is true.

We have some lovely weather predicted for the next few days--cooler, too. However, I need to get out and water the flowerbeds today--they are getting thirsty.

Today: Sunny
High 76°F
Precip 10%
Wind: NNW 11 mph
Max. Humidity: 57%
UV Index: 7 High
Sunrise: 7:02 AM CT
Avg. High: 80°F
Record High: 94°F (1998)
Tonight: Clear
Overnight Low 51°F
Precip 0%
Wind: NW 6 mph
Max. Humidity: 75%
Sunset: 6:53 PM CT
Avg. Low: 54°F
Record Low: 39°F (1999)

a bloom on my "jester" corn plant.

Thumbnail by marsue
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Lows in the 40s and highs in the 60s. Sunny outside now and the cooler temps feel great!

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

LOL, everyone, I just thought that would be a fun trick trivia question.
Daddy told me one time he had a professor that asked who authored a book he had never heard mention of before. So desperate he wrote in the professors' name.
He was the only student to ace that test.
Kiska, I think parsley is also a good nibble to lose weight. Good in my vege/beef soup.
Joey I know JW took much care in his choice of gift for his favorite granny. Is that Goldenrod?
Celia your snaps are so pretty. what's your secret?
When I quit, so far now 5 years in Nov. Parsley would probably have been better for me than the 30 lbs of sunflower seed i ate in the first year. Too much salt!
Marsue, that is a neat ear of corn. I bet the seeds will give you a bumper crop next year.
Sharon I love your sunbeam picture.
I love the slow roll to Fall in Florida.
83.1 °F / 28 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 46%
Dew Point: 60 °F / 16 °C
Wind: 2.2 mph / 3 km/h
Wind Gust: 4.0 mph / 6 km/h
Pressure: 31.01 in / 1050.0 hPa (Falling)
Heat Index: 83 °F / 28 °C
I better get out and enjoy the low humidity.
Sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Happy belated birthday, Joey! Sorry I missed it. I was out sick, or rather, in sick. DH caught something on the plane from Tulsa. I'll be all right in a couple days.

I'm going to have to get some coleus next year. I've grown them in the past. They'll grow here.

It is not 28% humidity. It's more like 60%, but it will go down as the day goes on.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 9:51 AM PDT on September 30, 2008
86 °F / 30 °C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 28%
Dew Point: 49 °F / 9 °C
Wind: Calm
Pressure: 29.96 in / 1014 hPa (Rising)
UV: 4 out of 16
Clouds: Few 15000 ft / 4572 m
(Above Ground Level)

This place is called Nez Perce Ford. This is where the Nez Perce crossed the Yellowstone River while trying to escape from the army to Canada rather than be put on a reservation.

Thumbnail by Kelli

One of the most unphotogenic creatures you will ever encounter. This was our favorite picnic spot, though.

Thumbnail by Kelli

For a change of pace, some pictures from the yard.

scrub jay - Sometimes when I go out to feed the fish, he comes in and lands on the chiminea and waits for me to put feed out for him.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Virginia creeper turning red - This is a sign that Santa Ana winds will be starting any time.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Texas ranger

Thumbnail by Kelli
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Hi! It's a cool 70° outside..gonna get down into the 40's tonight.! Nothing like having the windows open! :D
At Dublin...
Fair: 70°F
Feels like: 70°F
Barometer: 30 in
Dewpoint: 61°
Humidity: 73%
Visibility: 10 miles
Wind: 6 mph SSW
Sunrise: 7:18 AM
Sunset: 7:06 PM
UV Index: 4 Moderate
Observed at Dublin / New River Valley.

Kelli, Thanks. :) I can certainly see why that is your fave picnic spot! And you are so to photogenic! One things for sure...you have mastered your new camera! :D
Sidney, Yes it's Golden Rod. It was very showy this year! Love that (those) Coleous! Thanks for the new desktop. :)
Marsue, These 2 jobs are totally in opposite directions. They both are office jobs, but one has the potential of being an 'outside' job & the other one requires me to have a CDL. I used to have one, but it has run out years ago. I have also had EVOC training. Both of these places have called me...I didn't go lookin'. LOL! Ya think that maybe I could play them against each other a little. No, in all seriousness I need to find out about the water service benefits....Very Key!
Well, I need to go turn in a resume...

Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
(Zone 3b)

36*~ overcast w/steel gray clouds that are ominous.
Well, the date for my daughter/family to move to Washington state has been set. They all fly out on October 15th. She/my husband drove out last week; she picked up the key, put up curtains, stocked the pantry and my husband left gifts in the gkids' new rooms. They made it down in 4 days/ driving 15 hours a day.
Flying back to Alaska takes only 3 1/2 hours.
The cost for driving out came to $2,100 for 2,400 miles and that included at least one hot meal a day and a couple of nights/motel.
Joey~JW's shirt sounds so cute~glad you've got two offers from which to choose.
MySharona~now, that's cute and so pretty.
kelli~very beautiful setting for a picnic and I think you're waay too hard on yourself:))
kwanjin~good luck to your husband~sounds great.
Sugarweed~loved the Coleous trivia and the story of the professor's quit.
se_eds~thanks for all the ideas for parsley; really a big help as I just couldn't think of a thing. Guess it's time to get creative.
Thanks, too, for all the ideas from the others here.
marsue~here, the hoses have been put away/the water turned off outside and the snow shovels put in place.
Have a good day outdoors watering; sounds pleasant.
Dyson~not quite sure what an "air handler" is, but hopefully it's not a dangerous job:))
pepper~sounds good there.
7:30pm ~ another view of the bonfire/marshmallow roast.

Thumbnail by kiska
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

60* sunny and a cold north breeze. Today we gather heat.

Marsuem sounds like the same spiders :o)

Kelli, I enjoyed your pictures.

Adina, I don't have a lot of apples on my lone apple tree, but I picked a lot off of friend's trees.

Sharon, keep looking up. I'm not sure it's just a midwest thing :o) Something I need to look up.

Kiska, we're close to frost later this week.

Sharon, I hope Gary is close to being done with all of this.

Kwanjin, tell Hubby how proud I am of him for quitting!!!!

Sugar, your Dad is a smart guy!!

Kelli, get well!!

Happy Belated Joey!!!

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Sunny, Nice around 70° not to cool and not to hot.

The air handlers are the enormous fans that suck the sawdust from the forming equipment into an enormous catchment system. They are very loud when they are running.

(Zone 3b)

Dyson~certainly does seem it would be very loud. Thanks for the info.Loved seeing the word, "sunny".
bp~frost makes the next change very dramatic; definitely the end of one season.
2pm and 43°/sunny; the overcast skies gave way this afternoon.

Are you sure we're all on the same planet?

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 2:51 PM PDT on September 30, 2008
100 °F / 38 °C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 13%
Dew Point: 41 °F / 5 °C
Wind: 4 mph / 6 km/h / 1.5 m/s Variable
Pressure: 29.87 in / 1011 hPa (Falling)
UV: 5 out of 16
Clouds: Few 13000 ft / 3962 m
(Above Ground Level)

The next series of pictures is from West Thumb Geyser Basin. It's right next to Yellowstone Lake.

Thumbnail by Kelli

This is the same little bubbler thing as in the photo above.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Abyss Pool - It's 53 feet deep.

Thumbnail by Kelli

This is called Black Pool. It used to be black but the temperature got hotter and killed off the dark micro-organisms. (Marsue won't be getting in any time soon.)

Thumbnail by Kelli

Yellowstone Lake - Summer water temperature is 45F. Kelli won't be getting in any time soon.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Thumb Paint Pots

Thumbnail by Kelli

Blue Funnel Spring - I still think it looks almost good enough to get in, the key word being "almost".

Thumbnail by Kelli

Celia – Thanks : ) My snaps are toast. I have one little cluster left, will have to replenish next year.
Marsue - I can’t wait to see Jester all bloomed out.
Pepper – Love your temps : )
Kelli – Now I have to look up who Nez Perce Ford was! Beautiful spot for a picnic, you are photogenic! The Scrub Jay is pretty, seems to be quite social too. I nknow you are really looking forward to the Santa Ana winds (NOT). Great pictures : )
Joey – Good luck on the job decision! What’s EVOC training and water service benefits?
Kiska – It cost almost a dollar a mile to make that trip. That’s incredible. A marshmallow roast sounds nice, but still too hot here for it. Nice fire pit!

78.4 °F / 25 °C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 63%
Dew Point: 66 °F / 19 °C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/hfrom the North
Pressure: 29.83 in / 1010.0 hPa (Falling)
Heat Index: 81 °F / 27 °C
UV: 1 out of 16
Clouds: Few 4400 ft / 1341 m
Scattered Clouds 8000 ft / 2438 m
Scattered Clouds 13000 ft / 3962 m

Now
Through 745 PM...isolated showers and thunderstorms continue to develop across northeast Florida. The showers area moving east at 5 to 10 mph. The heaviest showers will move into near Dunnellon...Ocala and Belleview. Expect brief gusty winds...heavy downpours and dangerous lightning with thunderstorm.

Tonight
Partly cloudy with a 20% chance of showers early in the evening then mostly clear. Low 67. South winds 5 to 10 mph.

Cannas still blooming

Thumbnail by MySharona

The Nez Perce are an Indian tribe. They were among the last to be subdued by the U.S. government.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nez_Perce_National_Historic_Trail

This message was edited Sep 30, 2008 4:07 PM

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

I just have to share this with y'all. It was posted on another forum here on DG:

With all the concerns about our economy we may be seeing the following:

Watch for these consolidations later this year:

1.) Hale Business Systems, Mary Kay Cosmetics, Fuller Brush, and W R.
Grace Co. Will merge and become:
Hale, Mary, Fuller, Grace.
2.) Polygram Records, Warner Bros., and Zesta Crackers join forces and
become:
Poly, Warner Cracker.
3.) 3M will merge with Goodyear and become:
MMMGood.
4. Zippo Manufacturing, Audi Motors, Dofasco, and Dakota Mining will
merge and become:
ZipAudiDoDa .
5. FedEx is expected to join its competitor, UPS, and become:
FedUP.
6. Fairchild Electronics and Honeywell Computers will become:
Fairwell Honeychild.
7. Grey Poupon and Docker Pants are expected to become:
PouponPants.
8. Knotts Berry Farm and the National Organization of Women will
become:
Knott NOW!
And finally...
9. Victoria 's Secret and Smith &Wesson will merge under the new name:
Ti***Ti***BangBang

Who thinks up this stuff? LOLOL

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

MySharona, what a nice FOG picture. That is really neat!

Kiska - my god, that is a BIG marshmallow fire. LOL

Marsue - what would we do with you? That was really neat.

We are in early autumn mode. Foggy mornings, midday temps of about 70 degrees. Wonderful working weather. The recent rains all soaked in with no runoff. I am cutting back plants, debriding dead leaves, weeds etc and mulching. LOVE IT!

(Zone 3b)

That's funny, marsue~thanks for the chuckle.
se-eds~you should have seen the size of the marshmallows~we got them last May while in Mexico and they are probably 4X the size of those here. But, we did let the fire die down:))
kelli~what a gorgeous place to have visited. Thanks for posting the different places/views.
Temperature is now up to 47°~a real scorcher :))
I wonder when Rann gets back from vacation?

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Hi!
Kiska, I was wondering about Rann too! Did she say when she would be back, if so, I missed it. Love the fire. Gee, I didn't know that they made marshmallows that big! You should have taken a pic of them! :D
Marsue! LOL!!! I had to send it to my DS. She'll wet her pants! LOL
Se_eds, It really has been great weather, huh? I love it too. :-]
Sharon, EVOC is emergency vehicle testing. Driving between cones, etc. The water service (Red Sulphur Public Water District) is one of the jobs I'm looking into. Your Canna is Gorgeous!
Kelli, Again...Wonderful pics! I almost feel like I was there with you! ;) I hope that you weren't real sick! And I hope you get up to par really quick. :D
Sally, Thanks! :D
Dyson, Does it require wearing ear plugs? I think the loudness would make me dizzy! LOL (I'm dizzy already!) :D

Have a good night!
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

58° calm enough the I hear neither wind nor rain and dark.

Marsue – That is hysterical! Thanks for posting!
Se_eds – I can’t wait until our temps get like yours. I just love working in the garden in cooler weather.
Kiska – The marshmallows have to be that big so the mosquitoes don’t carry them off!
Joey – Your flower is beautiful!
Dyson – Me too :)

71.2 °F / 21 °C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 76%
Dew Point: 64 °F / 18 °C
Pressure: 29.80 in / 1009.0 hPa (Falling)
Heat Index: 73 °F / 23 °C
Visibility: 6.0 miles / 9.7 kilometers
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 20000 ft / 6096 m

Now
Through 8 am...patchy fog is expected across the area. Visibilities will generally be 3 miles or more...but a few locations will have visibilities of a half mile or less. Motorists should remain alert for sudden changes in visibility...especially in low spots and near marshes...rivers...creeks or lakes. The fog will dissipate by 830 am.

Today
Mostly sunny. High 89. West winds 10 to 15 mph.

I'm hoping this is Summer's last gasp here, but it probabaly isn't. :P The temps drop the rest of this week.

Less than 3 months to Christmas! I really love Christmas enjoy all the decorating for it. Here's an orange picture for the beginning of October - taken 10/3/07.

Thumbnail by MySharona
Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Here's a brand new thread http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/908725/
Come on over!!!
;)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.