An AlohaHoya tour

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Here's the good thing though Christi...there are plenty of cuttings and seeds that are pre-approved by the agriculture state inspection...those will keep you busy enough..I even brought back a coconut sprout last time...may he rest in peace...

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Very quietly.....otherwise you have to go to the Dept of Ag to have the cuttings inspected and wrapped in front of them and they have to issue a certificate....

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Just don't buy them at the airport - they are real bandits!

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Sorry, had to leave for a bit....yes Christi, it can be worked. It is generally tougher to get them into Hawaii, than out...but even that can be worked.
Yep Randy, those are the little bat-faced whatchamacallits.
#15 - isn't this beautiful??

Thumbnail by Islandshari
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I bought alot at the botanical gardens...but if your like me Christi..you'll be at the airport stuffing your bag with more...for us..it's worth it..! I bought two australian fern tree pups there...there still both with me...2 years ago it was...right at the airport...you know where else I can buy australian fern pups...NO WHERE...

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

#16 Yet another beautiful (I'm out of adjectives!) one of Bob's specialties.

Thumbnail by Islandshari
Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

I'm off to help DD prepare lasagne for DSIL's birthday. So I will post more tomorrow if you are still wanting more. I also have some pics of other parts of the Big Island (yeah, I know...it's hard to believe, but there really is more there than just Carol's place!) that I want to show you...another thread, another time.

Closing for today with another ....Hoya...of course!

Thumbnail by Islandshari
Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

HI...#15 is a Vireya (Tropical Rhody) and it is MOST fragrant!!! #16 is a Bismarkia Nobilis palm #17 is a hoya cultivar called 'Black Star'.

Here is the scoop on shipping stuff out of Hawaii (I am a Certified grower so I have been thru all the hoops). Unless you buy from a Certified Grower who can ship, under their Stamp, your stuff back to Texas, it is best to do the Ag. inspection routine. Trust me. All boxes, FedEx and USPS are put thru Xray and there is a hefty fine if they find plant material and you haven't the proper stamps. Don't ask me why...it is a long boring story about USDA and California yadddayadddayadddda. IF you DO get the stamps on your boxes showing that the items are pest free, you can sail thru Texas Ag. Texas is one of the states that needs a special stamp. For years, before I was certified, I took my plants and plant material...down to the Ag. department, wrapped it in front of them, they put on the stamp and "Bob's your Uncle" (meaning, it was done!!!). Christi...I can explain it all when I am there and i can help you do it if you want. Our daughter knows the ag. folks well... She is Maui Plumeria Gardens .....

You have to know what is and what isn't allowed to bring into Texas and work around it....

it just sounds scary...it really isn't.

Carol

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

hhhhmmm. Randy I purchased a VERY large Australian Fern at HD last year. Like the one in your pond. Soon discovered it effected me just like poison ivy. Had to dig and throw away. Think I gave it to the gardener.. Carol, will depend on yours and Jenny's experience. Just thinking I would be in the seed freak mood. ooowwww, I can hardly wait. Have I said that before? Getting worse as it gets closer.

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Evening all, more beautiful pics to behold! Making Christi even more ready to get there! :)

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7a)

Boy did I miss out yesterday!!! Can't believe those Hoyas growing in the ground, so beautiful! Are they extra big BECAUSE of growing in the ground? Or just larger growing ones?
And the pic #12 with the 'airiness and grace' what is that ? And is that bloom coming from it?
The Vireya is lovely! That's one I've not familiar with- have to look that one up....
Did I ask enough questions in one post??LOL

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

#12 is a Mexican Weeping Bamboo, and the red is a Ti (Cordyline fruticosa) Leaf (leaves).

A Vireya is a tropical Rhododendron...does NOT like frost or very cold, LOVES the hot and the rain...there are lots of them and they are colorful, often fragrant and a NO care NO fuss plant. Relatively bug free here...and like it's cousin, grows fairly epiphytically.....

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I'm really looking forward to seeing Bob's palm collection..!

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

He will love showing it off, Randy...

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I need to get a memory card for my camera, and probably bring a note book..I'm learning as much as I can while slowly adding to my collection (thanks Jeanne!)

Redondo Beach, CA(Zone 11)

Let me know when Randy "shows it off".
-Don

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Another good place to see palms here is the Zoo. The landscaping is done, and maintained, by the different Societies (like the Palm Society, Vireya Society etc.) and the plants are tagged and kept in primo condition. That's where Bob learned a lot about what was what and how they looked all grown up!!!

Randy...if you are interested in buying some of the harder to find palms...there is a great grower here with a collection to die for...he is certified and ships, too!!!

This message was edited Dec 29, 2007 3:17 PM

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

It's OK.....Randy, just buy your heart out!!!! I'm always here to take extra plants off of your hands!!!!!!!!! LOL!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

LOL...okay Carol sounds good.
I'm growing some of these from seeds right now...

Thumbnail by rjuddharrison
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Oh dear! That looks an awful like the one that my DS gave me. I think it might be planted a little too close to the fence! How long does it take to get that tall? Our's is probably only 2-3 ft tall.

Jeanne

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I think these are 15 or 20 years..actually those are the trees I got my seeds from.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Yep...I definately wish I had taken notes!!!

#18 I think this is the cinnamon...

Thumbnail by Islandshari
Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Shari are you doing ALL of this from memory? If so, HATS off to you! ♥

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Clove or coffee???

Thumbnail by Islandshari
Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Tammy...that's why I'm numbering them so that Carol can fill in the details! Ha ha!

Randy...aren't these grand???

Thumbnail by Islandshari
Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Well you are still doing an outstanding job! :)

South Venice, FL(Zone 9b)

Shari, I think those are coffee beans on #19, great shot. Keep 'em coming!

Hi Tammy!

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Hi Cathy! Hey, Christmas is over and you said my corner was a Christmas Surprise! Now I am pouting! LOL

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Okay Carol, now which delicacy was this one? I remember tasting so many!!

Thumbnail by Islandshari

No pouting Tammy, you have dmail!

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Why, thank ya kindly!

Quick now....name that fruit!!!

Thumbnail by Islandshari
Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Well that sure is some BIG fruit!
Ok, I am kinda done pouting now! LOL Now I am just gonna be really impatient! HA HA HA

I am stumped. The leaves look sort of like a loquat, but that sure isn't a loquat fruit.
Carol, where are you???

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Not all the Hoyas were up high in trees...was this the one that smelled like butter Carol?

Thumbnail by Islandshari
Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

#24 I'm sure glad I'm not the only one that doesn't know!

Here is another angle on one from above. Both JB and I were taking pictures, and some were of the same things.

Thumbnail by Islandshari
Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Caught a great show on Discovery Theatre today..National Parks of Hawaii. Maui and the volcano on the Big Island. Your pictures are so good, Shari. They rival the professionals. Haven't told Jen yet, but I don't think 1 week will be long enough. hehehehe

Wish you were going to be there too.

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

I can't wait, Christi will be counting the hours and minutes soon! :)

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Yes, I'm salivating over those palms!! ...

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

You're so sweet. I'm soooo lucky to have my DG friends.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Randy, please take lots of pictures and notes while you are there!!!!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.