An AlohaHoya tour

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

LOL..
palm wine...mmmm

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Wish I did have one...I would love to make Ginger Beer....SOOOooooo good.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

oh...I know..I've been wishing for spring today...cloudy, cold, windy...yuck..

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

LOL Randy!

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

I was about to freeze working on the new green house, but I wasn't about to say a word!

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Go ahead and laugh: I have a fire in the woodstove and am wearing woolly socks. Gets cool up here at night when the wind comes off the snow capped mountains (I am NOT kidding)...especially in the rain....

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Woulda never thunk it in Hawaii!

Has it stopped raining yet Carol?

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

We have lots of climate zones here... In the winter we sleep with a down comforter...can get into the lower 60s and that is cold with all the windows open/no heat...just DH and the covers!!! I can hear you gufawing out there!!!!

Stopped raining? Why, No, Jenny, it hasn't. The earth is so saturated everything is like a big puddles and the big puddles are like lakes and...and...and....

'they are coming to take me away, ho ho......"

This message was edited Dec 27, 2007 4:52 PM

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I believe ya,
I always take a coat to Hawaii...especially in the winter..I've been freezing in HNL before...

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

I would have to have heat then, too! DH works nights so I would get REALLY cold! ☺

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

It's a feels like thing...sometimes 59F can feel really warm, and 65 really cold

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

LOL-I like how you put that, RJ! :)

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

LOL...that's why they put the feels like temp to the actual temp...

It's 59 Degrees, Feels like" 49...in other words...it's below 60 and cold.

No down for us - a light quilt for winter, and yes, I do own two sweaters but rarely wear them. Our day temps are in the low eighties winter, to high eighties summer. Nights are low seventies winter with an occasional dip into the high sixties to high seventies in the summer. I do sometimes wear a windbreaker if I go out to sea in the winter because the sea spray with the wind behind it can be chilly...
ALWAYS wear a coat on the airplane! I always freeze my tush off...

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

WOW, When I grow up I am moving to Kihei!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

It the flight attendants were smart, they'd turn up the heat so everyone would fall asleep...that use to be one of my tricks.....cocktails and heat....makes the people fall asleep..

Remember the water bill on my side of the island!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

I'm one of those with a broken thermostat. Hot for the last 14 years. Our house is about 68-67 year around. Makes for a cheap natural gas bill in the winter..but the summer...well, we may not be able to afford groceries after we pay the electric bill...one way of going on a diet. Jenny, should I bring a jacket?
It was below 60 here today I just wore a vest.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

It's like that here tonight....chil-ley! Supposed to get cold next week! I think our summer is finally over......end of Dec. imagine that! LOL!

RJ Low's Tues 35 Wed 29 Weather.com

This message was edited Dec 28, 2007 9:31 PM

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

aah...our electric bills are killer ..they really do mean the difference of eating or not

Honestly, I would never travel without at least a light jacket. We do have some sea adventures planned and it's always better to have one even if you don't need to wear it. With the weird weather this year all over you never know...

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Got it.

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

I can water away in the Spring/Summer and the bill not be so bad, but we just got our first 'winter' utility bill and it is already over 235 bucks! But I freeze and have to keep it warm or my bones ache! :(

I am sure you know how much it costs to live in the islands, Food is outrageous, luckily we have plenty of fruit. Milk is $5.50 / gallon if you can get it on sale...bananas (which we grow all over the place) are $1.19lb, should be giving them away at .20cents/lb, and so on...

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

oh really...where did you hear that Jeanne?

I only see a couple days in the 50's next week...but..that is cold....
tue/wed/thurs in the 50's..the rest of the times it's breaking 60...should I look for a revision in those numbers?

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

My kids sure would miss their milk! But we can buy nanners cheaper here. Now why would that be? I hope to have some pink nanners this spring! :)

It's called "gouge the tourists" (and take the locals down at the same time) Acually most locals go to the farmers markets that are quite hidden away, we also do a lot of sharing with each other in the spirit of aloha.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Well it's quittin time folks...been fun...
sure been an active evening!
talk tomorrow...My shift coincides with you southpac folks!!!!
nitey nite!

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

And here I wanted to live there when I grow up! I couldn't afford to eat at those costs. But then again, I am learning to grow things, so maybe I would have to learn to eat more veggies! :)

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Sleep tight, RJ! :)

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

night, night, John boy.

night, Mary Ellen

God bless each and every one.

Chris

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

You all are making me sleepy, too! This holiday has just worn me out for some reason. ☺

mulege, Mexico

Yes, Jenny, I saw the Malabar chestnut. I have three little ones. They are growing well. I planted at least a couple hundred - I don't know what happened to the others as they all looked to be bursting to grow, but I'm happy to have three healthy ones.

My mangoes and some of the other plants are starting their spring growth!!

It's been cold and windy here but that's relative to most of you in the States. I still have trouble keeping straight what to do when down here but there's always lots to do so I keep busy.

katiebear

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

It is strange, with all the wonderful bananas grown here, to see locals paying/PAYING for Williams Bananas from Ecuador when the Dwarf Apple Banana grown locally is the best in the world!!!

Our elec. costs 34 cents a kilowatt hour....our bill is over 200$ every month: our hotwater is solar, we have no heat, everything is gas except for the fridge. We learn to turn everything OFF when not in use! I do run hotmatts in my greenhouse set at 73 degrees. I would love a big freezer but...NO WAY JOSE....we would never be able to eat.

gas is 3.42 a gal. now.

Got to buckle up and eat local!!! Swapping fruit/vegies is great!!!

Carol

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Geesh, I get back, and everyone has gone to bed! Buenos Noches, katiebear! Que pasa? Haven't chatted with you in a while, how are things in my beloved Baja??

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Oh Carol, how right you are about those fantastic Apple Bananas! The huge, stringy boring things we get here in the store just depress me! Give me one of those delicious little darlins any time!

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Shari....wish you were closer and we could have sleep overs and giggle and laugh into the wee hours. Our DHs would think we were nuts!!! You have such a wonderful energy and 'mana' about you...love being in the same space! i know it is a T R I P but we have to do it at least once a year.... next time it is on me....

Yokwe

We are going to be switching to solar for our hot water too, especially now they have extended the fed and state tax credits for another year (65%). How is the solar working out for you Carol? I hope it is going to be okay for us with our constant sun....
I do have a large freezer which probably doesn't save me any money in the long run - but it is nice to be able to eat mango in the off season.
Speaking of which - our spring growth has started on the mango too, Katiebear! New leaves and flowering spikes at the same time! Officially spring here!

Thumbnail by Braveheartsmom
Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Room and board and giggles and hugs?! Oh darlin...you can't keep me away now that I know where you live! Ha Ha! 'Sides, I gotta come and get my fix of rambutan!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.