An AlohaHoya tour

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

As most of you already know, during this past vacation, after an incredible day in Houston...and visits with family and friends, JB and I got the amazing opportunity to visit with Carol and Bob at their beautiful island home just outside of Hilo, Hawaii. My botanical skills fail me, so Carol will - I hope - supply us with the names and other pertinent info on this wonderful tour through her property. The pictures cannot convey the idyllic atmosphere, the ambience, the sheer joy that a walk though their property instills in every fiber of ones being. Their two dogs - Thelma and Louise certainly understand that joy...they are off like a shot for exploration and adventure if not watched closely.

Thumbnail by Islandshari
Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

This is an incredible gate that Bob built...his talents boggle the mind!

Thumbnail by Islandshari
Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

This tree looked just like it was "unzipping"! And of course the other botanical marvel in the picture is our very own AlohaHoya - Carol.

Thumbnail by Islandshari
Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

There were so many beautiful trees and plants to look at..JB thought this was a cocoa tree, but Carol said no...I just can't remember what it was!

Thumbnail by Islandshari
Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

The color throughout the walk was astonishing...you are surrounded by green, then you turn your head, or take a step and color just smacked you right in the eye!

Thumbnail by Islandshari
Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

And the size! I know Chrissy down under has plants that grow huge, but this was the first time that I actually got to see some REALLY big plants, that weren't in a botanical garden...wait, that is exactly what they were in, I just didn't have to pay a fee to get the tour!

Thumbnail by Islandshari
Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

How wonderful. So glad that you and JB got to enjoy yet another paradise. Not going to say I am envious of Carol but would like to trade places for just a brief while. hahah

Waiting for more.

Christi

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Hey, I have one of those. It is about 14" and has 3 leaves.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Ha Ha, me too!

More of the beautiful colors...

Thumbnail by Islandshari
Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

And of course, every once in a while, we would turn or look up, and there they would be - those beautiful Hoyas from which she took her name.

Thumbnail by Islandshari
Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Bob collects and grows some amazing rare palms and cycads. Here he is amongst some of them. I sure hope none of the rare ones got knocked down during this recent storm.

Thumbnail by Islandshari
Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

More tomorrow....

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Can't imagine a plant so large. I probably have some of those, too. About 10" with 3 leaves. hahahha

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks Shari....

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Lovely garden Carol. Thanks for posting Shari...waiting for tomorrows episode...

Port Vincent, LA(Zone 8b)

Yes, thankyou Shari for letting us share in your trip. How beautiful everything is in Hawaii.

Debbie

london England, United Kingdom

Thankyou Shari, everything looks so beautiful and lush.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Such a gorgeous garden!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Good morning all, the tropics are my most favorite place of all. As someone said before, I was born out of place. Love my Texas but boy do I ever love the islands and anything tropical..

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Wow...I just caught this thread... Thanks so much for the tour...great photos. That tree that JB thought a Cacao is Amherstia Nobilis... Hoping for a big flush of blooms next year 'cause she is only in the ground for 2 years. Came from a 30gal. pot.

Growing most plants is not hard...keeping them in check IS and disposing of the prunings can be a challenge. left on the ground most of them root!!!

That stand of tall grey leaves is Cigar Ginger...the flowers look like cigars...and we love the leaves for their whiteness!

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Okay, for today's batch I am going to number them, so that Carol can reference the numbers when explaining what we are looking at other than my adjective heavy but relatively uninformative descriptions.

This just took our breath away! So huge and beautiful!

Thumbnail by Islandshari
Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Even the most common of plants can seem magnificent in this surrounding!

Thumbnail by Islandshari
Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

See, my ignorance is showing! Some of their plants and trees are quite rare, and I'm not sure which is which. All I really can remember is being so in awe, that trying to remember the names of things was a near impossiblity.

Thumbnail by Islandshari
Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

I can hear the birds in the jungle. Almost smell the salt air.

Dallas, TX

Islandshari, Great garden and pictures!!!!!!!!! If you could find the name of the plant in your # 1 pic. on Dec. 27th. I would love to have one, i'am a variegated tropical plant nut! Going to green houses and turn on heaters,it's 30* Jerry

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Aloha Jerry! I'm sure Carol will tell it what it is shortly. Hang in there! Yep Christi, the birds were singing away...but we mostly smelled vog not salt air.
They were telling us that next year, this one will be tall!

Thumbnail by Islandshari
Dallas, TX

Islandshari, What is this plant??? thanks. Jerry

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

The number 1 is Variegated Erythrina
this is a similar variety in the PF
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/107659/
www.zone9tropicals.com
has them for sale
This message was edited Dec 27, 2007 6:52 PM

This message was edited Dec 27, 2007 6:55 PM

This message was edited Dec 27, 2007 6:56 PM

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Tall one sugar cane?

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

I believe it was bamboo...but it very well might have been sugar cane. Carol....Help!
Remember what I said above about color?

Thumbnail by Islandshari
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

yeah..might be...the purple stuff looks like cane

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

#6 We called this the one that should have been called a Christmas Palm...the red was so vivid next to the bright green.

Thumbnail by Islandshari
Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

My heart is beating faster and faster. 47 more days...

LouCCCCCC

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

#7 Another of Bob's beautiful trees.

Thumbnail by Islandshari
Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Oh darn....my post selfdestructed.....

The tall skinny thing is a new shoot of Dendrocalamus Asper - will top out at 160feet. A Timber Bamboo.

The other bamboo is 'Gitam' (Hitam)...a black timber bamboo which will get culms about 10" in diameter.

The cane is the black cane grown only by the chiefs...used for the best rum. I love it!!! It contrasts so well with lots of cactus. The pink flower in front of it is from a Ti close by.

The Sealing Wax Palm has the red crown shafts...

Gee...I love touring the garden this way!!!!

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

I think that last palm is a Cuban Royal...they have been in the ground for 3 years...really cool. OH...nothing on that road has been planted for more than 3 years...that was when we started...most have been in for 2. That red pointsettia was from a pot I was gifted....

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

WOW I am in such awe of your garden! I truly was born in the wrong spot! I will have to hope to be reborn on a tropical Island someday! :)
Shari, where is Marshall Islands? I have barely left our poor little Missouri, so I am PODUNK I suppose! ☺

Dallas, TX

AlohaHoya, That Timber Bamboo, cold hardy for us Texans? Rjuddharrison, Do you know? Thanks. Jerry

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Carol, did you misstep on the "poinsettia"? Where is it?

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I've seen very tender bamboo in gardens here, but this is what I reference for cold hardy bamboos
http://www.bambooweb.info/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.