June Daily Weather II; Plants are a Jumping!

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Mornin' All! It's 66* at the moment. And am hoping it'll rain somemore today. I thought that it would rain some last night, cuz we were under a severe storm watch until 11:00 last night.

Adina, Love those Clouds!
E_B, you shouldn't stay gone so long! :D But I Love your yard/garden! They Are jumping! :D
Kiska, Things can be a little involved at times & summer is the time when things like this happens. It will get better. Moose! :D

The trivia question is....
What is the greatest recorded thickness of ice on earth?
a) .97 miles
b) 1.97 miles
c) 2.97 miles
d) 3.97 miles

Have a Great Day!
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Good Morning it is!! It rained lightly but steadily through the night. My bird bath has a nice 1-2 inches in it.. I'm so happy :) Thanks for sending it this way :) I'm going to the lake this weekend and to be honest, I would love to sit on the deck on watch the rain and I could be quite happy with that if it did rain more.

Hi Sidney :) It' been too long since we've hung out in the same threads :) I too still have pots that haven't been put out for summer! I always have something that needs doing!

Early, great garden :) What is the lovely white fluffy tall queen anne's lace looking plant?? I could use some in my cottage garden too :)

Kiska- OMGoodness! And I thought I had issue with the bunnies eating my stuff.. not so much with Moose! :) We do have an increasing coyote population though and I might have to use my kids play set as a hunting stand at night. My neighbor had her cat killed two nights ago.. Mine is alive and well and would hate me for keeping him solely indoors..... I have to sound so brutal about shooting them, as I've even had years of life where I didn't even eat animals, but now I have small kids and I'm a momma bear... and I want them out of here.

My well guy is digging wells like gangbusters and he was 1 month out when we got on his drill list. I told my husband to go for it when a neighboring county got taken down to one day a week watering and I got real nervous. My husband and I went back and forth over whether we wanted to do the well since if they don't hit water, you pay for the drilling either way. We really think they will as we know of some wells in the area. Chances are good. The health department/water authority is clueless and we called over and over to see if we needed a permit to drill and some would say different things.. We finally got to a top guy and we need an "intent to drill" form, so got it. :)

Thanks for the warm welcome here ya'll.. I'll hang out here more often!! Be back after the weekend :)

May yours be Rosey :)

Susan

Thumbnail by soulgardenlove
Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Early –Your garden is gorgeous!
Kiska – I love the moose pictures!
Joey – I’m thinking D. Lots of ice in Antarctica!
Susan – I’m so glad you got some rain. Hopefully the weather will turn for the better for all of us.

75.9 °F / 24.4 °C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 86%
Dew Point: 71 °F / 22 °C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Pressure: 30.09 in / 1018.8 hPa (Falling)
Heat Index: 76 °F / 25 °C
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Few 3000 ft / 914 m
Scattered Clouds 25000 ft / 7620 m

Today
Mostly cloudy with a slight chance of thunderstorms during the morning...then chance of afternoon thunderstorms. Highs in the upper 80s. East winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 50 percent.

New blooms!

Thumbnail by MySharona
(Zone 5a)

Good morning all! I'm too far behind to comment on all the great photos posted but I've enjoyed them all.

Sally - yikes! hope things dry up soon!!

RJ and Susan - nice to see you here and Susan glad you got some rain!

Blooms!! Nice to see you back :-)

EB - beautiful garden - it looks so peaceful :-)

It seems to be the same story everywhere - there's either no rain or far too much of the wet stuff. We haven't had a decents soaking rain in I don't know how long - seems to me that June has to be about the dryest on record. Meanwhile Britain is drowning in rain - it said on the news it's the wettes June ever there .......... seems they've gotten all our rain ........ No sign of rain here in the forcast - I'm getting very tired of this watering business - I'm used to getting plenty of rain ;-) Hope all the areas that are far dryer than we'll ever get will get some relief soon.

Adina -sorry to hear about your mother's illness. Hope she'll continue to improve. Your house is shaping up nicely. The heatwave you've been having along with the rest of SE Europe was on the news here as well. Sounds brutal.

It's sunny, pretty calm (for a change) and already up to 61°F! Looks like a wonderful day in the works :-)

This photo was taken a week ago (June 22nd) when I took the girls for a walk at a nearby lake. The lupines are flowering now and paint the hillsides blue :-) The girls love picking them. They're called Alaska Lupine so I imagine you've got plenty of them over there in Alaska Kiska! ;-) They're an introduced species here and very controversial. It was planted on barren hills and places where the vegetation was eroding - and is growing very well - some say too well and worry that it'll wipe out our fragile, low growing vegetation. It is pretty though ....... and I do prefer the blue hillsides to the brown/gray barren ones ;-)

Have a great day all!
Rannveig

Thumbnail by rannveig
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi Sidney...Susan...good to chat with ya.
Hot Humid today, not going to get technical..we all know how it feels!

Probably will have pop up thunderstorms....Anyone traveling for the 4th of July, here's a tips from a guy who works for one.
HAVE BACK UP PLANS!!!! The flights are full, and should you experience a disruption, think about what I just said...those next flights are full! Tips are: Use another city to connect to your destination. IE, if you get stranded in DFW going to Florida, think DAL and Southwest...or if you need to use the same airline, think via Cleveland, Columbus, S. Carolina...you will be surprised how many "non hub" cities you can fly to and get seats non stop to where you want to go. A prepared traveler is a happy traveler who gets to their destination before unprepared travellers. Take Carry on Bags should for sudden changes of plans.. Think outside the "HUB". Do you know that many airlines now, if you experience a disruption, you can go to a kiosk and re-book yourself. In any event, there is no need to stand in a long line to be rebooked... Call the airline reservation, and have them re-book you. Take the reservation numbers with you..put it on speed dial!! You will be the first to get what's left, or --you tell them your back up plan... What about this flight through this city?

Have a fun 4th of July...and wouldn't you know it...while I was typing this....that pop up shower happened !
Rj

Pictured is Clerodendrum Minahasse

Thumbnail by rjuddharrison
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

And pack a blanket in your carry on bags! Should you end up sleeping in an airport (which is not fun - especially with two preschoolers), you find out fast that they are cold. Or at least Philadelphia's airport is. Brrr...

As Randy just said, we are expecting showers and thunderstorms off and on all day. Hopefully they will be more on than off and we won't get much accumulation.

Rannveig, that picture is SO sweet! The lupines are lovely, too. :-)

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 9:53am CDT (43 min ago)
Temperature 81 °F 27 °C
Dew Point 75 °F 24 °C
Humidity 82%
Pressure 30.02 in 1016.6 mb
Wind Speed 6 MPH 5 kts
Wind Dir S 170°
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 9 mi 14.5 km
Heat Index 88 °F 31 °C
Current Conditions Light Rain
Remarks 0.01" of precipitation last hour.
6 hour min temperature ending 6:53am CDT : 73.0°F / 22.8°C
3 hour precipitation ending 9:53am CDT : 0.01"

(Zone 5a)

Selma and her friend in a field of lupines :-)

Thumbnail by rannveig
(Zone 5a)

Thanks Marylyn :-) As you know little bunnies are fun to photograph ;-)

Here's the lake we visited. Those white flowers are invasive non-natives too - don't remember the name of it .......

Thumbnail by rannveig
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

They look like Queen Anne's Lace - wild carrot. http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/688/ At least that is what I was assuming they were. Serves me right for assuming! LOL Are they something else?

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Howdy all,
Good to see that you are back EB.
Been watching the weather and we have a little 'something' coming up the east side of Florida. Small rains are coming off the Atlantic and going from east to west for a change.
87º.
Gott get out in it.
Sidney

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

86°(F), bright, sunny, gray skies. wind calm.

Wish I could get out side more.

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Joey - your rain dance worked!! two nights of thunder and lightining and 3/4" rain total. Did not do the computer last night or the night before.

EB the white clover is prominent in our lawn also. Regular grass goes dormant when it is hot and dry and the white clover takes over. The same bees that are drinking clover honey and also pollinating my little cherry tomatoes - one at a time.

Things really are starting to bloom. Temps have dropped from above 100 deg. for two days with high humidity - to - high 80's with high humidity. Very nice change.

Here is a lily - but I don't know what kind - pink, I guess. LOL

Thumbnail by se_eds
(Zone 3b)

67*F. 1:30pm, sunny w/clouds moving in...hoping for rain. Like w/Rann/Iceland, the rain has been far and few between. July is normally the rainy month, so perhaps it's going to be.
Rann - the lupine is beginning to bloom here, too. I also thought the white looks like Queen Anne's Lace. The girls look so pretty among the flowers.
soulgardenlove - sorry to hear that the coyotes are killing pets; how very upsetting it would be.
m2k - did it rain a bit more? Love the photo; looks a happy place to be a trout or, the trout-keeper:))
rj - great advice about flying; anymore, if I can't get a direct from Anchorage to ----, I really hate to go. Alaska Airlines will begin direct to Hawaii this fall-sure will be great.
Dyson - sure looks great weather-wise for you - are you in too much pain to be out more?
Sidney - did the rains come your way?
MySharona - Canna Lily? going to be very pretty, no matter what it is. The baby moose was along the road a few days ago in the boggy area getting a drink. Didn't see mom, but she must have been nearby.
se_eds - so glad it's cooler and has rained. The lily is just beautiful.
Can't recall if I've posted this before, but don't dare check now and lose this..
Gdaughter/ hide/seek in the rhubarb.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

Rann – Sweet pictures! The Lupine is gorgeous. Why is the area across from the lake barren?
RJ – My DH works for an airline as well. We only travel with carry on bags, 1 large plastic bag with liquids and powders in the carry on. 3oz only for any liquids. Learned the hard way. Love the Clerodendrum Minahasse!
Marylyn – Philly Airport – egads!!! LOL! I hope to never travel through that one again!
Sidney – I saw that too. No rain today.
Dyson – When is your surgery scheduled? Are you able to use a cane to get around?

91.2 °F / 32 °C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 37%
Dew Point: 62 °F / 16 °C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Wind Gust: 4.5 mph / 7 km/h
Pressure: 30.06 in / 1017.8 hPa (Steady)
Heat Index: 91 °F / 33 °C
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 6 out of 16
Clouds: Few 3300 ft / 1005 m
Scattered Clouds 25000 ft / 7620 m
(Above Ground Level)

Tonight
Mostly cloudy early in the evening then becoming partly cloudy. A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms in the evening. Lows in the lower 70s inland...in the mid 70s coast. Southeast winds 10 to 15 mph becoming east 5 mph after midnight.

Thumbnail by MySharona
(Zone 5a)

Marylyn - thanks for the link - I've been wondering about this Queen Ann's Lace I keep reading about. Not the same plant though ...... I think it's Anthriscus sylvestris (Cow parlsey or Wild chervil) - had to look it up ;-)

Thanks Kiska - great photo of the rhubarb leaf :-) Do you make rhubarb jam? That's the most common jam here - used on waffles and pancakes (crepes) with whipped cream ....... very yummy ;-)I've never tried rhubarb pie, sounds delicious.

I noticed this really cool cloud when I was getting ready for bed 3 nights ago a bit after midnight.

Thumbnail by rannveig
(Zone 5a)

Sharon - the area accross the lake is "natural" lava field that the lupine hasn't gotten to yet ;-) The area around the lake is a forest growing area and the lupine was used to help the trees along since it works like a fertilizer.

That's the coolest cloud I've seen in a long time!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Wow.. both of those cloud pictures are wonderful!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

That is a cool cloud!
MySharona...oh boy...yes we do learn don't we about traveling. I've had to go backwards to get forwards a few times. Memorably leaving Denver, I knew there would be no way getting back to Houston and hopped over to the Newark flight. You know...I made it back to Houston that evening , and the other poor standby folk were still trying to get out of Denver the next day. Back up plans. The older I get, the more I enjoy staying at home with friends. Both of my hips have titanium implants. Can you imagine getting through security every time?? Beep!

The downtown and Heights area where I live received a good rain shower this morning, but remained clear all afternoon making the kick off for 4th of July week travel "somewhat smooth" in terms of airline travel.
Naturally the rain commenced directly after I completed watering the potted plants. No worries though, rain water trumps tap water any day.

Rj

RJ - Funny! I had a stress test done about a year ago. I had to carry papers that showed I had been injected with "nuclear" stuff. Set off the security everywhere I went! Courthouses, airports, etc....Geez!

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Hi! Everybody! :D We got somemore rain! :D And the fish are happy! I gave them their meds this mornin' & by this afternoon they seemed really happy. (none were floating belly up!)

Se_eds, Glad that I could help! ;) But looking at that beautiful Lily, I think that you need some more (your grass still seems dry). I'll see what I can do! :D
Rann, those are beautiful Lupine! But not near as lovely as those "bunnies" of yours! :D And that CLoud! It's Awesome! :D
Susan, Glad that you got some of the "Wet"! :D
Sharon, that new bud is gonna make a Great FLower! And your sky pic is Great! :D ~ Does that mean you were something like a "nuclear reactor"? ;)
Kiska, that rhubard is soooo massive! So is my "new name" the "trout keeper"? LOL! :D
Rj, Thanx for the advice, but I prefer staying on the ground....My one Paranoia! :-)
Sidney try not to work too hard! Have you heard from your potential job yet?

The answer to the trivia Is....C! 2.97
The greatest recorded thickness of ice was measured by a radio echo sounding in Antarctica.

Have a great Evening! It's getting Dyson Dark! :D
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

All the shots today are amazing but rannveig that Lupine shot is perfect!

I woke up to the tailend of a long soaking rain...
We've officially had 3.854" of rain in the last 7 days not counting today.
That's at the airport 14 miles south of us.
I've had over 5 here. At one point the 1 1/2" rain guage was full and overflowing.....so.....

Looks like a clear dry weekend coming w/ Highs in the mid/upper 80's and Sunny...
Lows in the upper 50's...... and dark....

Ric

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Ric, send some of that rain in Se_eds direction! :D I know your flowers are happy!

Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

Joey - I was Electrifying!! LOL!

(Zone 3b)

5pm - sunny; a bit of a breeze.
Rann - it sure pays off to stay up till midnight - that cloud is spectacular. As to rhubarb, we use it in a lot of ways; from sauce to desserts.
MySharona - the sky in your area is beautiful as well.
wow Ric - a nice weekend indeed, complete w/darkness.
m2k - and, even large, remains good and tender. Wouldn't dream of changing your name; Music2Keep just brings so many good thoughts to mind:)) Very pretty fern; in your woods?
rj - of course, if you'd washed your car instead of watering, it probably wouldv'e rained, too:))
View of Knik Glacier/Knik River from top of the "Butte". about 2 weeks ago.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Quoting:
rj - of course, if you'd washed your car instead of watering, it probably wouldv'e rained, too:))

Is that what's causing all of the rain?? Randy, quit washing your car!!!

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

We got over 6 inches of rain at work these last 2 days. We actually got flooded out in some areas. The island garden and the arbor were flooded when I left this morning. At the island the water was half-way up the wall when I left. Our roads were flooded in places and the lake was higher than I have ever seen it. For those of you who don't know, I work at a botanical garden. lol. Fun til bad weather hits. lol

I left about 10:45 this morning since I was losing my brakes on my golf cart, it was getting treacherous, and because I was so wet I was squishy and left water where ever i went. My jeans were so wet it wasn't funny. My boss kinda laughed when he saw me and let me go home. I was really happy cause I was also getting cold.

When I finally left I went to take the gravel road that would take me to the hwy and didn't get very far on there because it was flooded out really bad over by the bridge. I talked to some guys who were there then we all left and I went to take the hwy home. Well, I get by a major subdivison there called Oakshire and there was water over the road there. Luckily it wasn't bad enough I couldn't get thru. I just had to be careful. I made it thru there and there weren't anymore high water spots. It was a crazy day for everything around here.

Pic of the sun coming thru the trees. Taken at the lake.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Good Morning! The temp is 68* & it's quite muggy! But it should shape up to be a fairly nice weekend. I need to check on the fishies, so will make this "short"! :D

Pepper, you have another nice lake shot there! All that's needed there is a lounge chair! ;)
LOL! Marylyn! I agree! Rj, please quit washing the car!
Kiska, thanx, but the fern is on my front step ~ in a pot. It loves it there as it gets virtually no sun. It grows like crazy until I bring it in for the winter, then goes dormant.

Tthe trivia for the day is....
What is the tallest snowman recorded being built?
a) 13 feet
b) 43 feet
c) 83 feet
d) 113 feet

Have a Great "4th" Week End!
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Gray, 68°(F) here also.

Reporting Station: KROA
Relative Humidity: 78%
Wind: 280° (W) at 6mph
Gusts: 0mph
Pressure: 30.06in
Yesterday's Precip: in
Yesterday's Low Temp: 72°F
Yesterday's High Temp: 86°F
Dew Point: 64°
Visibility: 10mi
Ceiling: Unlimited
Heat Index: 71°
Wind Chill: 71°
6hr Precip: 0in
6hr Low Temp: 71°F
6hr High Temp: 77°F

(Zone 5a)

Good morning :-)!! It's another sunny day, a bit breezier than yesterday and a tad cooler too - barely 60°F at a 11:45 am. Thanks everyone for your comments :-)

Pepper - very nice photo from the lake - glad you got home safe :-)

Joey - That's a very pretty fern and the daylilies are gorgeous :-)

Kiska - yes it can pay off to stay up late at this time of year ....... it's pretty impossible not to ;-)

We went on a midnight drive/walk last Saturday (23rd) and took Hildur Eva with us ( in her pyjamas under the coat and with teeth brushed so she was ready for bed when we got home.) Selma Rún voted to stay home for some odd reason - Hildur Eva kept saying she should have come with us. lol She really enjoyed it and managed to stay up until we got home at a 0:45 in the morning ;-) We drove by this golfcourse on the way - it was quite busy ..... Anyone up for some midnight golf? :-)

Thumbnail by rannveig
Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Okay first Joey I'll go with D.
Rann, I am so impressed with how much you have taught me about Iceland. It too is a land of enchantment and tradition. Thanks. I have Lupine envy.
Wish we were gray.
Driving over to Archer to visit a good friend.
80.1 °F / 26.7 °C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 53%
Dew Point: 61 °F / 16 °C
Wind: 2.2 mph / 3 km/h
Wind Gust: 2.2 mph / 3 km/h
Pressure: 30.00 in / 1015.8 hPa (Rising)
Heat Index: 81 °F / 27 °C
40% chance of rain.
Sidney

Still raining. Have heard that the flooding at work is worse though I am hearing this second hand. Gonna find out here in a bit when I email a coworker. We were gonna have fireworks tomorrow but since the place is supposedly still flooded that most likely isn't gonna happen now.

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Pepper, Out here in the southwest the fireworks ban is because of the DRY conditions and thanks for keeping us updated on the flooding there.
I just read where LA has had only 3+ inches of rain for the entire last year from Jul 1st till now. No wonder the area is a tinderbox.

Our low was 65* and right now it's 101* headed for 104* with a humidity of 4%.

Up on the mountains, the green leaves on the trees go crunch if you crush them in your hand.

Rann, I surely wish i could just blink myself to your house right now. Sun all night would be such fun especially with those lovely temps. Our sun is something to hide from these days. Your bunnies are exceptionally wonderful to watch as they grow. And I love your fields of lupine [invasive out-landers or not] .

Going to be a full moon this evening. Hope I can remember that as the evening approaches. I get so used to hiding in the house from the sun, sometimes I miss the sunset. ~~Blooms

(Zone 3b)

11am - 53*F, lightly raining.
Blooms - I can understand why you would hide from the sun - don't forget the moon:))
We don't see the moon yet, due to the 24hr light, but, by August we will. We're losing 2+minutes a day and will increase more and more quickly.
Rann - I can recall, when in my 30's, staying up late/w/kids and taking it all in. Now, guess I'd just rather get some sleep. I do like to get up around 2-3am, just to admire the golden glow. Stepping out for a moment to hear the birds and otherwise, quiet, is a special time.
Music2Keep - have a great weekend - things planned at the trout farm?
Marylyn_TX - guess what - I washed my car for the first time in ages, and, today it's raining:))
pepper - love the lake - seems like the fireworks will be cancelled there; maybe later?
We took our coffee down to the Matanuska river this morning and an eagle was there, too.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
(Zone 3b)

In flight -

Thumbnail by kiska
Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Kiska, how wonderful you can share that sighting with us in the lower 48. Don't get to see them much here, although Utah has a fair share of the great birds.

The fireworks have been moved to the 6th. I haven't called anyone at work. I went to our website instead. Some of the indoor activities are still on and the upper terrace around the VEC is still open but the gardens themselves are closed pretty much in most places due to the rain. It is raining pretty hard here still.

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Rann, are the lupines native? I always think of lupines as western U.S. plants.

Pepper, I wish I could send you some dryness.

Updated: 12:51 PM PDT on June 30, 2007
Observed at: Van Nuys, California
Elevation: 797 ft / 243 m
90 °F / 32 °C
Clear
Humidity: 31%
Dew Point: 56 °F / 13 °C
Wind: 5 mph / 7 km/h / 2.1 m/s Variable

We went hiking today. When we left the park, we saw that they had put up signs saying that the park was closed for today due to fire danger. They do that when the combination of temperature, humidity, and wind reaches a certain level. There are no fires burning around here right now. (Knock on wood!)

I'll have some more pictures later, but right now I need to take a nap. Can you guess what is the significance of the site in the picture?

Thumbnail by Kelli

Something to do with military?

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

It has a blade on the front so perhaps the driver was trying to clear a path when a flood struck and buried the vehicle in mud?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.