June Daily Weather II; Plants are a Jumping!

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Marylyn – I forgot to tell you that I made the rhubarb pie. It was soooo good!
Joey – Pretty lily? I love the ruffled edge.
Pepper – Glad you’re ok. I can’t imagine be wet and cold this time of year. We’d just be wet and soggy and hot.
Joey – I going with Sidney - D!
Rann – I have Lupine envy too! It’s so pretty. Reminds me of Texas Bluebonnets.
Blooms – Me Too! It gets so hot and humid that we stay inside. I’ve been missing a lot of sunsets this season.
Kiska – Thank you for posting the eagle pictures! You are so luck y to see them in the wild. I think they are so beautiful and majestic. May I have permission to use as wallpaper?
Kelli – Bonnie and Clyde’s get away car?!

Maybe we need to wash our cars?!! I haven’t heard anything about the fireworks being postponed. I e-mailed First Coast News – maybe they’ll run a story.

My Powder Puff is popping!

Thumbnail by MySharona

Oops forgot the heat!

91.9 °F / 33.3 °C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 36%
Dew Point: 61 °F / 16 °C
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 5.8 mph / 9.3 km/h / 7.7 m/s
Pressure: 29.97 in / 1014.8 hPa (Steady)
Heat Index: 92 °F / 33 °C
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 6 out of 16
Clouds: Few 4500 ft / 1371 m
Scattered Clouds 25000 ft / 7620 m

Tonight
Partly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of a shower or thunderstorm. Lows in the lower 70s. Southeast winds 5 to 10 mph shifting to the south after midnight.

Thumbnail by MySharona
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Pepper is kind of close. It has to do with the military, but not the real military.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Kelli: M*A*S*H???
Rann: Love the lupins!!
Kiska: Great shot of your eagle. We see one occasionally but usually waaaaay up in the top of a pine tree.

HHH today, but (yahoo) we're now having the traditional late afternoon t-storm. Maybe I can skip the watering routine tomorrow. :)

Pic from my vacation.
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC

Kelli - Oooh, MASH was filmed in Southern CA.
Deb - I hope that guy didn't hurt his head! Great picture and flip!

Yes, this is where MASH was filmed.

Great picture, Deb. Looks like a lot of fun.

Here's another MASH relic.

Thumbnail by Kelli
(Zone 3b)

Deb - just love the photo - someone from your ship? . The eagles have a nest at the river's edge and have been in the area for a few years now.
Kelli - interesting location - lots of relics?
Thanks, Blooms, my pleasure.
MySharona - thanks, and you're welcome to use them..Did you get the thunderstorm this afternoon? The rain here didn't last long, but it's better than nothing.
pepper - seems that the 4th celebrations will last a few days instead of the one.
Palmer Post Office - hanging baskets are at nearly every home and business.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

My dad would be soooo jealous!! He loves that show. I bet you can still hear the ghosts of the show there. lol

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Kiska: Oooh. Those baskets are absolutely gorgeous! Yes, that was someone from the ship, which you can see in the background.
Sharon: Nope he didn't hit his head. Here's the next pic in the sequence.
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC

Kiska, the jeep and ambulance are the only MASH relics left. A brush fire went through there in 1983 or '85. A lot of this particular park used to be owned by 20th Century studio and they filmed things here when a lot of space was needed. I'm sure that list is almost endless, but what I remember, besides MASH, is "How Green was my Valley", "Planet of the Apes", and "The Swiss Family Robinson".

Since we're at the end of the flower season, today's picture show will be mainly about history. This area is called Reagan Ranch because it was owned by Ronald Reagan before he was governor of CA. This is not to be confused with his Santa Barbara County ranch that he had when he was president.

This message was edited Jun 30, 2007 4:12 PM

Thumbnail by Kelli

This is called a bedrock mortar. You can see a large hole in the center of the picture and a smaller one at the top. This is where the Indians would grind acorns into flour. That was the staple food of the people who lived away from the beach. This is a shady spot and also there was a nice breeze there. As I'm sure you know, these folks may have been "low tech", but they weren't stupid. :-) (The Indians who lived here were called the Chumash. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chumash_%28tribe%29 )

BTW, this probably would have been a tough year for the Indians. I haven't seen any acorns on the trees. They had a story to explain events like that. Every night, two divinities, Sun and Sky Coyote played a gambling game. On the winter solstice, they added up the score. If Sky Coyote won, he took his winnings in the form of game, acorns, and other foods, which he tossed down to earth for the people to enjoy. If Sun won, he took his winnings in the form of human lives and it would be a dry year.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Just some scenery

Thumbnail by Kelli

This is Malibu Creek. This particular spot is a bit of a pool and is maybe two feet deep. We saw a bass in there.

Thumbnail by Kelli

This is called Indian milkweed. The Chumash used the fibers from it to sew together the planks of their boats. They used the particular material because it wouldn't stretch when wet. These boats were for use in the ocean, not on creeks like Malibu Creek.

Thumbnail by Kelli
(Zone 3b)

Nice trip you've taken us on, Kelli - once again, seeing the rocky hills is not what I had thought of about SCalif. Malibu creek is very pretty, too.
Thanks, Deb - looks like a number of you enjoyed the port/playtime.
The sea gulls were harassing the eagle - it was above some carrion they wanted.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

That's neat that you get to see eagles.

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Hey Joey.............You like fish? We got fish! Follow the link to the Pymatuning Spillway. It's about 15 minutes from my home.

http://www.post-gazette.com/journal/default.asp

early_bloomer

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

We have quite a few eagles too. Here's a map of eagle nests found in Pa. I put an X on the map marking my location.

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Good Evening! It's beena very pleasant day here w/a hi of 77*! The fishies are Much improved. And the O2 saturation is right on target! We had a nice steady rain for about an hour today and every "body" Loved it! :D

E_B, thanx for the carp info. Do they stay there? I am guessing, but do folks feed them? And the caption was right ! "Soup!" :-O You live really close to Chris (ladygardened1), huh?
Kiska, Love the eagles! I have yet! to get a pic of the ones here. I'm always "doing" something at the raceways, with no camera in hand. Palmers' flowers are Wowsers!
Kelli, Thanx for the historical journey! Right up my alley! :D Love those pix! The Indian milkweed is Gorgeous! and so is the scenery! :D
Deb, looks like you had a heap of fun! :D Keep 'em comin'!
Sharon! Love those flowers! :-O Beautiful Lily! :D

The answer to the trivia Is...D
The tallest snowman recorded being built is 113 feet 7.5 inches by residents of Bethel, Maine. The snowman took 14 days to complete.

Have a good evening!
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Joey..........People feed an unbelievable amount of stale bread to the carp. You can buy it at several places in the area. 3 or 4 loaves for a buck. When the kids were small we used to save all of our old bread in the freezer until we had a big garbage bag full. My favorite trick is to save an old loaf of unsliced bread until its good and hard and then toss the whole thing in. The fish go nuts trying to get it but it's too big for them to bite so it just bounces around. It's like a big game of carp volleyball. Chris lives just 7 miles up the road from me.

Kiska.........Love the eagle pics. Moose in the garden huh? I guess I'll stop whining about woodchucks and rabbits.

rannveig..........The lupines and your daughters are both lovely. That cloud photo is wild.

kelli............The old MASH relics are neat. That show is still one of my all-time favorites.

Deb........The angle those photos of the diver were taken from sure makes it look like it ended badly.

The weather here is wonderful! Temps in the 70's, blue skies, fluffy clouds and a nice breeze. The perfect summer day with more of the same expected tomorrow.

Photo..........Foxglove, columbine, iris and hostas fill one of my shady gardens.

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer
(Zone 3b)

9pm; 60*F, mostly cloudy w/sun peeking through in some areas.
Early_Bloomer - love the map w/eagle's nests and that you've indicated your location, as well. About half/hour ago, one flew very low over the backyard; the gkids were as excited as we were to see it so near. Your flower garden is just beautiful.
Kelli - thanks.
m2k - nice hearing that the fish are thriving after a rough few days. Good for the restaruants, too, right? Your area is so pretty and green.
Nearby farmland.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Early, Light, Gray, 61°

Gonna cook something (a pot of something), should be ready by lunch time.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Dyson I hope you're feeling better.... !

Kiska the change in the scenery there is AMAZING!
From white to green in record time....

e_b that's a lovely little scene. Are those Columbine seed heads?

Ohio is getting more and more Bald Eagles.
In 1979 there were 4 nesting pairs.
Now there are at least 150 as of 2006 w/ 206 new young!
None nesting in our county .... yet.... but one pair is minutes from where we had the R/U.
There is though a juvenile male just minutes from here.
He was only about 20' above us one Saturday as we were driving over the bridge.
I've seen him twice now flying over at work.

Here's a plant from our neighbor's yard.
See if you can ID it....hint....it's NOT Astilbe....

Ric

This message was edited Jul 1, 2007 8:39 AM

Thumbnail by henryr10
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Good Morning! It's a really nice 64* outside, with the highs predicted in the 70's. :D

Yeah! Eagles, Every Where! :D

E_B!, Gotta LOL! at the "carp volleyball!" :D I have a question....how do you get your Foxglove to grow so tall? Does yours bloom every year? (OK, that was 2 questions) :) Mine grows very small, 1ft or a little more & they only come up every 2 years.
Kiska, Love the farmland pic! My kind o' place! :D Yes, the restaurants really have no idea what was almost lost! The ones we are treating will be ready for the plate in Nov. if all goes according to plan.
Dyson, What ya cookin'? I can be there in a couple of hours! :D (BTW, when are you due for surgery?)
Ric, I don't know what that beauty is!....Please Tell!

The trivia for the day is....
Early in a tornadic thunderstorm, the pressure falls due to increasing rotation. This causes the inflowing wind near the ground to accelerate as it rises toward the updraft. What is this quotation describing?
a) Funnel cloud formation
b) The Suck Zone
c) The combining of two super cells
d) Waterspouts

Have a Great Day! :D
Joey
(black raspberries, that I have already been munchin'' on) :D

Thumbnail by music2keep
Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Brand new thread!!! http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/742283/
;)

Post a Reply to this Thread