#20 Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeners

Midland City, AL

Carrie, that’s great news about the MRI. I hope everyone necessary shows up and it goes down right this time.
Good point about the floor rot. The longer it went on the worse it would have been. As it is, the repairs can be made with two sheets of marine grade plywood. The original material was cheap by my standards anyway. The wall struts were ½ “ x 4”, instead of 2” x 4” and stuff like that. I’m thinking about tearing out some walls and re-configuring rooms to give us a larger living room, but I want to think about that a little more.
Kay is still one sick puppy, but I have Tigger here to take in the slack. I can do it with her help. Tigger tires easily, but so do I. There is plenty of warning that she is about to have an episode. The idea of power tools in her hands doesn’t worry me.
It will take longer than normal, but we can get it done. Our winters are mild enough that we can do plumbing work and projects that temporarily expose the interior to the outside without freezing our backsides off.
I’ll mail out the dragonfruit This week, TTC. Any time is fine for us to receive plants with the greenhouse so it comes down to whatever is most convenient for you.
Beth, do you recognize the plant in Photo #2?
Here’s hoping everyone had a fun Halloween. Tigger went out to a costume contest. Nadi made her traditional Halloween meal of chili and “The Stuff.” Nadi claims her Halloween Stuff isn’t sentient and will not possess the people who eat it, but it sure looks like The Stuff the miner found oozing out of the rocks in the movie and it is almost as addictive. She tells everyone while it isn’t sentient, it is alive and presents this delicious concoction with the movie running in the background. We are all Stuffies here. That’s what they called the addicts in the movie. Nadi doesn’t lie or deceive well. If she can say with a straight face that Halloween Stuff is alive, I believe she is telling the truth. I would wager that one of the ingredients is active culture yogurt. Love those delicious little buggies. Ha.
We were all awaken about 2 a.m. It sounded like the world was coming to an end. It was RAIN. No thunder or lightening. It sounded like the base of Niagra Falls for a few minutes. It has rained most of the day, but never again with that 2 a.m. force.
Photo #1: Cotton rose (Hibiscus mutabolis)
Photo #2: No ID bloom I happened to see on the path to the cotton rose. Whatever it is, it’s a good autumn color.

Thumbnail by seacanepain Thumbnail by seacanepain
Midland City, AL

Kay thinks the mystery flower is a chrysanthemum based on the smell of the foliage. How chrysanthemums got into the irrigation trench remains a mystery.

Casa Grande, AZ

Hi gang, :D

Carrie, glad they stopped jerking around with that MRI. About time. Floor rot. UH-OH. That doesn't sound good and hopefully it is only minor. Definitely beyond me and my traveling tool kit. :( Sorry. Have to confess ignorance here.

My little rhyme I bear in mind about all home DIY related things is this:

"If you think you can, give it a go.
If you mess it up then rip it out.
It i's no use to pout.
You'll have to pay the pro.
And everyone can say, " I Told you so!"

Save this little rhyme so you can recite it back to me when I start tackling my kitchen and bathroom floors and counters by myself !!! :D
Sigh I'm so sick of looking at them. Let's see Neurologist, staples in the head, Vet bill, upcoming Drs. visit for Dave....sigh. Blah, blah, blah. Yeah whatever. Put on your big girl panties and deal with it, right? I think I have another Kit-Kat somewhere.

Sorry to hear Kay is still sick. Glad Tigger got out for Halloween. I used to celebrate it regularly and go out or host a party. Haven't done it in a long time. Not sure why. I should resurrect that tradition for next year. Also glad she can help. That's good! All I have to say is, Jim please mind your back. Not a whole lot is going to get done if you're in traction.

Kind of chuckled at your description of Nadine's "Stuff". Are you sure she didn't raid our fridge of the leftovers? (LOL). Zoe gets NO people food (eye roll) so Dave and I get a little lazy in that regards to left overs. We do have things that ARE sentient. I jokingly say I keep them for those kids that didn't get their science project done on time. They can just take one of ours in! It is one of my resolutions for next year; to be slightly more diligent with this.

Rain huh? Always a nice surprise if you're not already getting flooded. Ready for this? We got hail 2 days ago! Yesterday...about 45 miles from Phoenix there was an earth quake! It was felt in the Phoenix are but no damage and no one hurt. The Earth quake registered at 4.1, the second about 3 minutes later (after shock) was about 4.0 and the last one the next day was about 3.9. Coming from CA that's something we don't even pause for. It's got to be 6.0 or larger for us to notice.

I know it freaked a lot of people out though. I'm more freaked out by the hail. The earth shifts on its fault lines naturally. When I lived in Ohio we had small earth quakes. That's normal. It isn't normal to hail in the desert when the average temperature is 80 degrees in November.

How about you keep an eye out for dinosaurs and I'll watch for aliens!

Thanks for the dragon fruit. I'm real excited about it since it is so exotic and the blooms are something special! I can't wait to see it.

I'll put some crab cactus in a box for you and send it out in the next week or 2 at the latest. Dave has vacation from the 12-24 so it will be easy for me to get to UPS or the post office at that time. If I can get to it on the 4th or 5th I will. If not it will the week after during Dave's vacation.

It is an easy little bugger to grow. Pop into some cactus soil, water well when soil is completely dry; give it full sun with some dappled shade or mostly sun and some shade; sit back and watch it grow. It grows reasonably fast and the little tips do turn red when stressed (the way fire sticks do). It's a really cut plant. When it gets bigger you can break some pieces off and plant them to start more. Just make sure the pieces are at least 3 inches tall. It doesn't get taller than 1.5 to 2.0 feet max but it does spread.

I'm inclined to agree about your pretty red flower there as being a Mum. The only other thing I could think of would possibly be an Astor/Daisy variety.

Gotta go but here's some fun pics for you.
1.) HAIL on my walkway outside the front door.
2.) Lake swampy...my front yard after it poured.
3.) Casa Grande Falls; rolling right off my roof and between my 2 Ocotopus Agave and smack dab on top of my Natal Plum below.
4. & 5.) My neighbor's pole cacti across the street. Some variety of Cereus. Beautiful fruit. Sorry to have missed the blooms!

Peace. Out.
TTC.

Oh...fun song for the day "Why Can't You Be Like Endicott?" by Kid Creole and the Coconuts.

*Quite the performer; quite the musician; his band is magnificent; and his music such an unusual mix of sounds. He's been around for decades! I dusted off a c.d. the other day and got my husband, a trombone player, hooked on it! Watch the video of his live performance. It is amazing! Let me know what you think of him. *

Thumbnail by Agavegirl1 Thumbnail by Agavegirl1 Thumbnail by Agavegirl1 Thumbnail by Agavegirl1 Thumbnail by Agavegirl1
Casa Grande, AZ

Hi gang,
Hope all is well.

Jim,
Hope Kay, kids and yourself are well. How is the home improvement schedule moving along.
It has rained here off and on yesterday and has started off raining this morning! Expect crab cactus to be sent out the week of the 14th. I don't think you want a water logged one packed in a dark, enclosed box. Since it is a succulent it 'swells' when it rains. I'd like to let it restore its self back to normal, dry up a bit and make sure it won't get any mold or rot.

Carrie,
What's the news on the M.R.I.? I know you finally got one scheduled.

Bets........, you can get a chuckle!
It has rained off and on for 2 days. Did you do that and steal my sunshine?

As for me I've been busy

Song for the day, "You are my sunshine, my only sunshine, you make me happy when skies are gray, so please don't take my sunshine away....." (LOL)

Busy today. DH is off today and tomorrow. Busy good part of tomorrow.
Talk to you guys latter part of tomorrow or the next day.
Peace. Out.
TTC.

Hendersonville, NC(Zone 7a)

TTC wasn't me this time!@ It's still raining on and off (ask me, it's raining more ON than off!! glug glug) It's predicted to do so for the near future (which is a pretty safe bet in this area!)

I've had to wait to g3et my bulbs planted: the grouned is so wet, it's common to see big trees laying on their sides. . . their roots couldn't kept them standind with this super-saturat3ed soil! Big trees. . . not so big root balls! And with this clay soil, those roots aren't very deep, either!!

and trees, trees, trees everyw2here! Skinny, little things crowded so close together not even Twiggy could sdqueeze betweem them. . . .but tall, tall, tall!! Living next to stat3e and federal forest land, the only way to see the sky mis if you can quickly look up while driving: watch out for that semi on your bumper and all the crazxy drivers! You KNOW your in trouble when there's steep mountain side on one side of the road, a sheer drop[ off on the other (and you can also see the roofs of houses and tops of trees if you look real fast!). . . plus every few miles theres a run=away truck ramp! (a deep sandy "road" from the highway straight up a steep handy mountain!! Oh, have I forgot to mention: I'm afraid of heights.

Claps of thunder, the staccatto of rain furiously battering everything...and emergency sirens of police and ambulances racing to help are common: falling tree4s and mud slides...live wires, power interruptions (WHY don't they BURY the power lines anyway?) **Sad sigh** but my Granny LOVES the trees...and the mountains. . .

When my son was a tween, he'd try to embaraszs me while we were driving around in a small collegfe town by acting like a possesses mosh pit denizen: air guitar complete with violently nodding head and tongue hanging out!! (I was afraid someone who knew me in my professional role would see this wild child!) I'd start singing to hiom - "You are my suun- shine, my only sunmshine. . . " THAT would embarass HIM! I'd onl;y have to sing [badly, with giving him adoring glances] before he'd strop and behave himself. After a few days of this, he stopped his punk rocker act!

But I continued to sing to him, throughout his teens, whenever he was being especially difficult! It'd stop him in his tracks!! hehehe

I've oftyen thought recently of buyiong one of those greeting cards you caould record a short snippet. . . and send it to hiom as he's veing so trying!! ""You are my sun shine, my only sunshine. . .

Casa Grande, AZ

O.K. Bets I won't hold you responsible for stealing the sun. Now, did you steal my warmth? Today it is only 67 degrees. Brrrrr for us. It should be in the upper 70s low 80s! Today I have on long sleeve shirt, fleece sweater over that, jeans, socks and slippers! Brrr...!

What a shame about your trees. :( Poor things. Especially since big trees don't just happen overnight. Well, just think about all the good compost for later and cheap firewood if you use it. Might wind up being good for your bulbs after all...if you ever manage to get them planted. If not, I used to put mine in a brown paper bag in my fridge to mimic "Winter" and then plant them in the Spring. Worked just fine. Of course that depends on how many bulbs you got!

Here the rain doesn't take our trees, just our mountains and literally the ground you're standing on. Flash floods and heavy rain just will literally carve chunks out of the ground and all of a sudden there is a major ravine next to you!

Hear you too about crazy drivers. It rains here people act like they're driving in a blizzard with icy roads and freezing rain coming down. Either they crawl so under the speed limit they back up traffic (when you wish for that semi to give them that push) or they don't 'think' to slow down before stopping and turning so they drive like they do any other time (like @$$#&!#%) and cause major accidents.

I've always wondered about those power lines too. Ours are strung up on poles also. With the winds we have you would think they would bury them. My only though is they don't due to the impossibly hard soil, and the native plants. Saguaro are protected by law so if you go digging around under ground you messing with their roots, water, etc. Also the flash flooding may be another reason. That would probably leave a lot of the wires exposed. I dunno.

I do know wise cactus is annoyed by them as they frequently get in his way.

That's funny about your son. Kids can be a trip which is why I have none. :D
I enjoy other people's and the 'family dynamics' so to speak as an objective independent observer. Much more entertaining, a lot cheaper and pretty much headache free.

I don't know if I'd dig my Mom singing in public to me, but she was a lot of fun. I'd probably sing right along with her. One of my favorite memories was my brother and I singing "Joy to the World" out loud with her whenever we heard it on her car radio. She drove an old VW bug when they still had the engines in back and the trunks up front! (Would love to have that thing today).

It wasn't until she got older and I came home from California in my 30s that she started to do things to embarrass me and/or drive me insane. Remedied that. I moved 2 time zones away. :D Now if I'm embarrassed I did it to my self and can't blame her (LOL).

By all means buy him the birthday card! He may not like it now but I bet when he's our age he'll treasure it and get some good giggles out of it and being able to literally hear you sing to him. :D

Gotta go. Have company coming. Try to stay dry. I'll try to stay warm.

Song for the day: Joy to the World by Three Dog Night

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

YAY! I had the MRI on Tuesday at a competitor free-standing MRI facility. Very fast and professional! Unfortunately my MD didn't get the results immediately online, but they were available this morning and she called me this afternoon: negative for anything bad. Positive for MS, but we knew that. Ray and I have been so tense and worried but YAY! And I have a new PCA who seems like an Agave-type fanatic about tidiness and cleanness; the house is currently cleaner after three days than it was at any time during the past ten years. So I would say things are good! Thank you all for worrying with me.

mulege, Mexico

YAH!!!! katie

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

You got it, Katie!

Casa Grande, AZ

:D :D :D

Wise Cactus said our mortal prayers and mantras were heard! Oh..., he threw a few in too on your behalf! Figured it would only help matters since he has more pull in the universe than we do.

So glad your MRI revealed nothing more than the obvious.
Kind of chuckling about your description of your new PCA. I'd probably like her! Just give her a few caffeinated Diet Cokes or buy her a large latte at Starbucks and watch her go, and go, and go, and go, and go , and .....
My husband describes it as kind of like watching a wind up toy.
Enjoy the energy and the clean house. Sounds like she'll be a big help.
Hey...maybe she'll even let you call her Agave (LOL).

Speaking of which, Agave here is tired. Cleaned the bathrooms and tidied pre company, walked the dog, cooked for them (simple lunch but still...), entertained them and now I want to crash.

Hugs to all.
A.G.

Oh...Her Royal Zoe-ness sends big doggy smiles your way!

Thumbnail by Agavegirl1
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks, Zoe!

Casa Grande, AZ

Zoe says, "You're welcome."

Mommy says, " See that tongue? Now you know why I spend so much time wiping glass table tops, the t.v. , sliding glass door and the full length mirror. Pretty girl is a happy girl and a vain one! She likes to look at her reflection in these. Oh and stand there and drool all over them too!"

Eye roll, sigh.

Hugs to all.
TTC.

Casa Grande, AZ

HI Gang, :D

Is everyone alive and well?

TTC.

(Susan) Xenia, OH(Zone 6a)

Yessss..... getting back into the PA routine and getting ready for a big event a week from today-- - then you'll see more of me here.

~Susan

(Susan) Xenia, OH(Zone 6a)

Yessss..... getting back into the PA routine and getting ready for a big event a week from today-- - then you'll see more of me here.

~Susan

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

My husband is deliriously happy that I don't have a brain tumor! This week I have a several of doctor appointments: urologist and neurologist, Fun, fun, fun!

**glug glug glug. . . shiver, shiver, shiver**

Casa Grande, AZ

Well....it is so nice to hear from all.

Susan, so nice to know you made it back and are doing well and settling in. :D

Carrie....RIGHT ON! See, Wise Cactus's "in" with the big boys upstairs helped! Told you he was rooting for you (ha-ha made a pun!)

Zoe said, "Doggy smiles and petting, laughter, treats and squeaky toys are the cure to all that's wrong in life. Oh, and if you can't eat it, or play with it then pee on it and walk away! That includes doctors!"

Sometimes I think our pets are smarter than we are. I've never seen a dog with an ulcer have you?

Bets....Swim girl swim! Like I said got cacti and sunshine (don't tell where to stick either one...*grin*) You're welcome to head out this way and dry off a bit. Like I said, you'll get your revenge when we're cooking in 110-118 degrees in about 6-7 months. Just keep playing "sunshine songs!"

Jim and family,
Hope all is well with you guys and the kids and the home renovations. Got out a small box and found a block of Styrofoam for the bottom. I'm going to be putting the crab cactus in a little pot with some fresh soil for you and stabilizing it on the Styrofoam. Around that I'll have either some peanuts of bubble wrap. The plant will be well protected.

I'll be sending it out some time during the week of the 12th through 17th. I'll let you know what day it goes out so you can watch for it. Would you prefer U.P.S. (OOPS as I call them) or U.S.P.S.? Let me know.

Have a happy day.

Oh...here's the surprise I was treated to this morning. :D My bubble decided to happy ambush me!

Peace. Out.
TTC

Oh, song for the day: "Ever Fallen In Love?" by the Fine Young Cannibals.

Song is wonderful. Not apropos for the day but I heard it earlier and it just stuck with me. FYC is such an amazing band. Roland Gift the singer has such an intriguing and curious soulful voice and the music is fabulous.
Actually the whole C.D. has been a hit. Every one of their songs on that one (The Raw and The Cooked) got major air play and crossed pop, rock, soul/R. & B. and new wave-alternative air wave barriers. They were one of my favorites in college in the late 80s. Still are.

Thumbnail by Agavegirl1
Midland City, AL

My apologies for the long absence. It has been a rough, busy week and I have been in a foul mood.
That’s great news about the negative test results, Carrie. Do the doctors test your kidney and liver function on routine blood test? I ask because, if I were in your situation, that is the next possible explanation for a loss of appetite I would want to cross off the list. Considering all the medications you take, it seems only logical the doctors should screen for damage on a regular basis. I’m learning the hard way that what doctors logically should do and what they actually do is not necesarily the same thing.
Kay’s nephrologist verified the GP’s tentative diagnosis. Stage 3 CKD. Why weren’t the doctors aware of the problem when it was still in Stage 1 or 2? Once damage has occurred it is irreversible. Kay’s prognosis would be much better if we had known what the problem was sooner. All they had to do was a stupid blood test. I suspect the doctors brushed away Kay’s complaints about fatigue and her weight loss as Depression.
Tearing up floors and tearing out walls has been good therapy. I will do the repairs myself, but I think now I will hire a professional to do the installation. I hope to talk one of Kay’s nephews into designing the new floor plan.
Your heat stopped by for a visit, TTC, but it is gone now. Temps are expected to be down in the 40’s by Thursday.
Succulents and cacti travel fine through the postal service. I just wrapped the roots of the dragonfruit in a damp paper towel and slid plant and towel into a zip-lock bag. Soil is heavy and, since this is a humid environment, I worry that I might inadvertently ship some bad soil microbe or fungal spore. I popped in a couple of small cuttings in addition to the rooted plant just because I had the room and thought you might like having some extras to share with the neighbors. There are also a few sedums. ‘Evergreen’ and ‘Angelique’) You can never have too many small, groundcover-type stonecrops and they are more fun than bubble wrap or Styrofoam peanuts. (Well, I do know some people who think popping bubble wrap is fun, but you don’t strike me as one of THOSE people.)
We’ve lost some large tree limbs to the storms, but the trees themselves are still firmly fixed in the ground. The ground is saturated to the point the ants are out searching for dry places. Their mounds are popping up beside the roads like mushrooms and it is virtually impossible to work in the garden withoutt getting a few bites. If there are ants in N.C., it sounds like they need scuba gear.
It’s always good to see your post, Kb.
Hope your project goes well, Susan. Looking forward to seeing more of you on the forum.
Kay is the only one doing much gardening. Since Tigger is helping me with demolition, Kay is looking after her veggie garden. Kay’s touch is delicate enough that she is able to successfully transplant the excess seedlings she thins out. .
Indian summer brought back the angel’s trumpets for an encore performance. They provide such color and drama in the garden for such little effort, I can’t bring myself to pull them up despite the fact they are a horrible plant to have around honeybees. There is still so many things blooming the bees prefer, I’m not worried. Zinnias, marigolds, pineapple sage and anise hyssop keep the bees so busy they ignore the angel’s trumpets. I found yet another late bloomer to keep them occupied.
Photo #1: Mahonia ‘Soft Caress’ only grows to about 3 ft. making it easier to work into a shade garden than any other Oregon grape holly.
Photo #2: Another autumn blooming mystery plant. I like the form, but have no idea what it is.
(Jim)

Thumbnail by seacanepain Thumbnail by seacanepain
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Thank you, Jim. Ray is slightly less delirious (he has remembered he still has arthritis and back pain) but only slightly. There are some foods I can eat, chili for instance and Coca-cola, and carrots. Maybe I can only eat food that starts with the letter C? Coffee is good too. I have an appointment with a psychiatrist in January (earliest available). Jim, I don't know if they are routinely doing kidney and liver tests, but I wouldn't be surprised. Except for the MRI thing, which was not her office, she is really very thorough.

One explanation is that the baclofen pump really changes my resting metabolism. Before the pump, I was having a zillion spasms a day, which was no doubt burning calories. The pump takes away all those spasms. I could eat whatever before the pump and not gain weight. Since 2012 I have gained maybe 20-30 pounds. Ray says it's from fast food in Texas but I'm not so sure. My blood pressure had also gone up. (Also probably from getting older.) So now I am back to a weight I am more comfortable with. If I KEEP losing weight, I am still worried.

Now we are all worried about Kay! That's awful, that they could have diagnosed it earlier when it might have been less serious. My MS could easily have been suspected earlier with a simple reflex test, but there would have been nothing to do differently and no way to confirm MS without ruling everything else out. So I was angry but it didn't make any difference.

But Kay would have been healthier if the kidney disease had been caught earlier! You must be furious! I am furious!

Midland City, AL

What bothers me most is Kay’s story is so common. I would like to change the protocol doctor’s follow. There are too many people not being diagnosed until Stage 3. Stage 4 is failure. It is dialysis. I just don’t think it should be common in the case of a disease that can be detected through several blood test. There is no chemical evidence of MS a lab can detect? No telltale evidence in the blood or anything?
Well, all that dancing around when deliriously happy is hard on achy backs and joints. Lol.
Kay took the no chocolate, no nuts and no Dr. Pepper news hard, but otherwise she’s doing well. The low protein part of the new diet didn’t faze her. That is the part I would have balked at.

blood tests. . . the standard tet just quantifies what's usually in the blood" types of cells, sediment rate (how fast the solids separate from the liquid phase), glucose level etc. All in all, a routine spdhot of not very usefull info, but a starting point for more selecctive blood tests. This one is for indicating such thins as infections, anemia, disorders that change the amounts or ratios of ty[es of cells.

A test known as GGT (short for a long-named enzyme....gamma something, I forget) must be ordered specifically by the doctor; it givews a ratio of kidney functioning.

Another even more specific test, which also has to be ordered specifically by the doctor, is one for kidney and liver function (sorry, guys, can't remember its exact name). It delves into detail on enzymes, glomeral filtran rate, etc.

Nowadays, there's a disconnect between the lab (which does the testing) and the doctor (who must order the right test). . the test names change and what exactly is measured changes, so the doctor must be familar with the lab he chooses a.

Here's a helpful link, which helps take alot of the "mysteries" out of modern medicine (WARNING: your doctor, like mine, prolly won't like you gettiong informeed!)

http://www.webmd.com/

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Nope, no test like that for MS. Probably the closest is test of reflexes like the ones done routinely on newborns. That would have revealed my MS at least, I'm not sure about other MS. Mine started by affecting that part of my neurons. Ophthalmic exams could show optic nerve damage, which I didn't have until 1991. No blood tests for MS, no chemical changes at all.

Casa Grande, AZ

Hi guys, :D

Sorry for my absence. I'm sure you can guess why! Fell on my head again the last couple days (eye roll ...sigh). No damage except a few bumps and bruises from falling on the kitchen floor. Luckily several of the seizures were when I was sitting down on the couch. Husband told me I had one in the car on the way to the grocery store (See now why I don't drive!) and two in my sleep. Didn't hit face or teeth on anything and forehead only has a lump on it (eye roll). No wonder people think I'm a domestic abuse victim! Chewed up my lips pretty good though. (Common thing Epileptics do). Will be a little while before I put on some lipstick. At least the swelling on them has gone down. Oh well, whatever. Life goes on.

HEY...SONG FOR THE DAY: Elvis Costello "I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down"! No, seriously, it IS a real song. :D
Or it could be Ian Dury's "Spasticus Autisticus". It was released in 1981. He has a pretty thick English brogue accent so look up the lyrics. He had Polio and a very ironic and sardonic sense of humor about his disability and others. Nobody got offended in the day. He's like me, if you can't beat it you might as well laugh about it and find some humor in your situation. If you listen to the song, take it with the tongue in cheek humor intended. (Ian Dury is also the guy who brought us the anthem of "Sex and Drugs and Rock 'n Roll. That was his song. I'm sure you can find it but I saw an amazing biographical movie on him. Well done, well acted and factual and funny.)

Carrie I am happy for you. That is good news despite the appetite thing.
Kay how awful! Can anything be done now? This makes me so mad! I'd be through the roof if I was you guys.
Here's my medical rant!

Grrrrrrrr. Doctors. The ineptitude of them infuriates me. I think they should be held accountable for misdiagnosis and for NOT catching things in time ESPECIALLY since they are unwilling to sit and look through your medical chart and READ your past history or LISTEN to you. Truly listen to you and your complaints.

So,
I'm sorry to hear not everyone is doing well. Seems to come in clusters doesn't it?
As for blood work and finding what's wrong with you all I can say are these things:
1.) Get your records...all of them. Read them. Pore through them.

2) Make a list of any 'similar notes' different doctors have made. See if you have complained about the same symptoms to different doctors.

3.) See in the medical file how long you've been complaining about what is bothering you and note how long it is still persisting.

4.) LOOK AT YOUR BLOOD TESTS...all of them!

5.) LEARN HOW TO READ THEM (plenty of web sites to teach you this; punch in how to read a CMP13, a whatever type of panel, etc. AARP has a pretty good one)

6.) Learn what the 'therapeutic' range is NOT if you're numbers are 'o.k.' according to the standard range listed on the CMP. Remember my B12 problem and level issue? Standard measurement said 250pg/ml was the 'bottom' and below was abnormal. I was at 280 and they said, 'you're fine'.
When I did my research it said the 'therapeutic range' to function like a normal person should be 350-450pg/ml ! YIKES. Although I was 'normal' by numbers I was not functioning at all and bottoming out! Drs. only look at the numbers of what is the bottom and what is the top. If you fall in it you're hunky dory to them!
Uh...no! I fixed this problem and had a major turn around!

7.) Although doctors order the blood tests you can request them! Tell them I want one that specifically hones in on my kidneys, liver, etc.

8.) Independent labs. I use them. They will send you the results straight to your home and I carry them in to my doctor to show him what they found. They are not affiliated with doctors/hospitals a lot of times although they may do work for them on a contract basis. It is also usually cheaper too because you're not paying the doctor until you need to go in to get the results decoded. (See if his reading matches YOUR reading that YOU researched because you taught yourself how to read these things.)

9.) Read the detailed patient labeling. This is the 'onion skin' one folded like a little square. Your pharmacists does not put this in your bag. You have to request it. It is free. It lists ten times as many more side effects and additional information than that sheet they stick in with your pills. (Also how I found out I was being over dosed!)
Side effects and drug interactions are listed here you may not know about. Also tells you what organs they may affect in your body. Has chemical make up of drug also (so if it is high in sodium you may want to leave sodium out of your diet; if it is protein binding you may want to up plant and grain foods to alleviate constipation, etc.)

10.) Have you checked your RXs for common side effects. If you take 3 pills and ALL 3
say may decrease appetite it is a pretty good chance they are. Both my meds do (one even say can cause anorexia! Reason why I 'force' myself to eat!) I have a real loss of appetite problem even though I cut my meds but this 'loss of appetite' is common to both pills I take!

Like you Carrie I struggle to keep weight on.

11.) Say, 'let me think about that' BEFORE you take anything new or switch meds. Do some research. Again get the patient labeling. Read and see what it does and effects before you start pill popping. While it may alleviate on symptom you are having right now it could create a whole bunch new ones you didn't know about or weren't told about!
(Reason I'm such a PITA with switching meds with my Neurologist and insist upon doing my research first and getting back to him. I've refused a few for things like increased headaches
and incontinence...YIKES)

12.) Always...always...always check Dollars for Docs! Can't stress that one enough!

See if he is a pill pimp and getting kick backs from the drug companies. Maybe THAT is the reason he wants you to take this particular pill ! Remember I told you all that my doctor was deliberately keeping me sick and overdosing me so I had to constantly refill my RXs. I wasn't well. He was wealthier! ($600K + in 3 years) How many other people is he doing this too?

13.) Google it!
Seriously. I kept typing in What cause thinning hair? ditto eyebrows and lashes? ditto weight loss? ditto constipation? ditto weak brittle nails, chronic fatigue, aggression, anger, overly emotional for irrational and unexplained reasons.....on and on and on.
Aside from 9 million things I found the common thread to be a B12 deficiency listed!
Ah-Ha! Compare this with my CMP13 blood work results and common notes my past doctors made and Voila! One mystery solved all on my own! (The overdosing was the other mystery I solved on my own thanks to detailed patient labeling!)

All this does take time, patience and research but I have found it worth it. I saved my life twice.
I saved my wallet innumerable times. I've chosen doctors more wisely. This is what I've learned in 20 years too late.

So that is my medical rant for the day. I hope some of this was useful. I'm sure a lot of you are savvy enough to do these things but the real deep intense at home research was what really opened my eyes and directed my treatment. I HAVE improved by 50% thanks to me. Will never be cured but am definitely not the train wreck I was.

ON THE HAPPY SIDE.....:}

Jim glad the house work is going well and you are finding it therapeutic. It truly does help to delve deeply into something with you mind and body. I know the need and feeling of relief afterwards. Keeps me from wearing orange. It is not my color!

That second bush with the flowers is absolutely lovely. Let it grow! Can you split this and propagate it will it just grow wild. Either way it is stunning. Wonderful the Angel's Trumpets bloomed again. Such a pretty plant and I do love the flowers. Familiar with it but I think..not positive..it may be able to grow out here in shaded conditions. We have a bush we are currently taking down (don't know what it is) because it has become a mini tree, is beyond pruning without hacking it up, spits dead flowers and pods and leaves everywhere and is in-between my house and the neighbors and making a mess in her yard as well.

Do really, really appreciate the plants. That is so nice of you. I will package up the crab cactus and give you some pine cone cactus also. I may be able to find another little surprise for you. :D Never know!

Also happy some sun shine made it out your way. That's good news. It helps to see that big yellow thing doesn't it?
It has been cool here. In the low 70s and high 60s (I know..shut up. But you gotta understand 115 down to 70 IS cold.) It has been in the 40s and soon to be mid-high 30s at night. Time for me to cover the plants!
I was going to get some Santa Hats at the dollar store to put on a few of them! We don't celebrate X-Mas per se but it is cute for the neighborhood kids and it is nice to share some good will during the holidays.

Our "Thanks giving dinner" will be in the next week or so. Dave and his coworkers have time off. Dave is on vacation from the 12th through the 24th. He works Thanks Giving but is off again the 24th of December through the 4th of January. That will be nice to do things with friends also. Then it is back to the grind!

It will be nice though to have the time to catch up with friends who work a different shift or have different days off than he during these times.
We love to cook and entertain. We learned how to make home made pizza on the grill..YUM!

We'll also have some time to go hiking, do some photography, catch a movie (if we can agree on anything), maybe shop for some little stuff and just hang out. We don't get enough time for that.

Bets...Still swimming? Hope it is drying out for you.

O.K. this was an inordinately long post but needed to catch up. Talk to you all again soon.
Wise cactus is all atwitter about the Santa Hat he'll be getting. :D
Peace. Out.
TTC

Hip Hip hooray! the rain FINALLY stopped: the big yellow thing in the sky (I think it;s called the sun) has been shining every day. . . this isthe 4th straight day and anotherr whole week of sweet, dryness is predicted!

But it's cold! Ah well! at least it's not raining. . . andf I LIKE hot cocoa and a cup of steaming hot tea!

On the downside, my garden helper is still waiting for the MRI place to call and schedule him: his docotr FINALly agreeed to DO something aside from merely NAMING why he couldn't stand up straight and why he was in so much new oain (the quack oeiginally dismissed my friend by saying "You have a touch of sciatica.") My friend's insurance require him to get referrals first, so he's been in pain for almost a month. . . .and I foresee ab9out another month before anything gets done for him to be pain-free: aftger the MRI place calls and schedules him, he must make another appointment with his [primary "care") doctor to get the results and get referred to a specialist , make an appointment with the specialist..and THEN finally have his pain addressed/stopped! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr for referrals!

In addition, this poor man's wife went into hospice yesterday. She has terminal cancer but was under-going out patient chemotherapy to keep her cancer from spreading fast. . . it bought her another 2 months, but at one heck of a physical cost to her! It finally spread to block her stomach so she couldn't get any nourioshment. . . . he's moving VERY slowly, but is constantly on the go. . . to go see her, handle arrangements etc.

I've arranged to have someone come and help me plant my bulbs tomorrow. . then I can start planning on NEXT year's garden! With my bulbs planted, my gardens will have officially been put to bed for mthe winter!!! I'veselected Tidal Wave petuni9as (cheyy? purple? color TBA) for 1 of 3 gardens, singlet marigolds again for garden #2, those bulbs are all garden #3 get . . and then it'll be done!, and dwarf sunflowers along the back of garden #4. . but still must decide what to put in the majority of it! What fun!!!

And let's not forgfet my Tomato Jungle! I get to choose 2-3 replacements that'll perform even better in my climate! I've already decided on Mezxican Midget to replace Baxter's Bush Cherry (it'll be 1/2 inch tomatoes instead of 1 inch tomatoes) . . .

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

1/2" tomatoes are pretty small!

Today I had more blood tests (neurologist) and another urine culture. We told him everything we could think of. Basically, we were asking "could this just be MS?" All my drugs I have been taking for at least ten years; nothing new there. We had hand-carried my copy of the MRI and he just popped it in and looked it over. He agreed, nothing new there either. We will keep looking. He thoughtfully considered everything we said, which was really nice. He's young and thoughtful.

I hate that you have such seizures, Agave! I mean duh, epilepsy = seizures, but I still hate it. And I hate Kay's CKD, and everybody else who has problems, I hate those problems too!

Trip to Texas tomorrow for concerts, so if I am quiet that's why.

Casa Grande, AZ

Carrie,
I'm glad that the MRI isn't showing anything 'new'. That is a relief. I'm also happy your doctor is a good one. I'm relieved after all these years I finally found one too. They are so hard to come by. They're almost 'precious' when you find them.
So glad you're getting out and about. Sounds like you need to have a break. Enjoy the concerts.

Kay, I sure hope you're feeling better. Let us know what is in store for you and how you are progressing please? I was thinking of you.

Me, feeling better. Got plenty of rest and feel better. They just come in clusters and go away. Today I've been fine and most likely (fingers crossed) will be for a little bit. Yep. Hate that I have seizures too but...I try, so, so, so hard to just be thankful for people that feel for me, that I have my husband and a good neighbor to help, Zoe to be home with me, and.... you guys! :D It helps to have friends that can grasp the situation. Even if not fully they still 'get it' because they deal with things similar in their lives.

And yes, it is bad but I know it could always be so much worse. I just try to have a 'good attitude' I have to. It is the only way I can cope. Sick or perfectly healthy none of our tomorrows are promised so why not enjoy today and get a few laughs out of life..or try to?

Today I picked up some brick for a new bed and Dave got some things for a little project he's doing. I'm happy I can start work on it soon. We're supposed to get some rain so I'm going to have to delay starting for a few days. That's o.k. There is plenty of little things inside I can keep myself (and DH busy with) :D

Jim,
I did get the plants. THANKS! They look great. Rinsed the roots clean of all soil first since it wasn't 'native' and to prevent a chance of bugs. Then I got fresh soil and potted them right away. The succulents need to 'perk up' a bit but I believe that is just from travel and being repotted. The Dragon Fruit seems happy. It is currently in a nice ceramic pot on my patio table enjoying the sun. I'm going to let it grow to a decent size before I put it in a bed.

How are your projects coming? How is the family? BTW how is the weight loss thing going?

Bets...
So happy the sunshine found you! YIPPEE...sun! Are you out dancing in it? I am sorry to hear all that about your garden helper. :{ Poor guy. It has got to be so hard with his wife. I couldn't fathom. Makes my problem look trivial in comparison to cancer. On top of that they're jerking him around with the MRI. Doctors...grrrrrr!

Your garden plans sound real nice. I miss seeing 'flowers' sometimes...you know, those colorful things that don't grow in the desert. My mother always had a beautiful yard/flower beds. Oh well, now I have a different type of flower to enjoy. See, everything has an upside. :D

Can you round up those kids again to give you a hand? You had mentioned they did a real good job.

I'm not even going to talk to you about them 'maters! Let's not go there!

O.K. everyone have a great day.
I have to cook dinner.
Have a great day everyone.
Peace. Out.
TTC

1. & 2 My pole cactus is about 4'10" tall now. These are close ups of what looks to be 'arms' starting to form. All excited. :D

3.) New kid on the block. A Torch Cactus ( Trichocereus Grandiflorus) Gets these amazing flowers on it. Already fairly large in a .80 Qt. pot and has several arms already.

Song For the Day: "Good Enough For Us" by XTC ( not INXS)

Thumbnail by Agavegirl1 Thumbnail by Agavegirl1 Thumbnail by Agavegirl1
Casa Grande, AZ

Good morning gang,

Watched the news. Read the papers. Listened to the radio.
Put on my C.D.s

Wise Cactus says the wisdom of prophets are found in the words of poets. They and liquor bottles are the only one who have anything worthwhile to say. He also informed me I was reincarnated a generation too late!

Songs for the Day (get lyrics)

World Party "Ship of Fools" (English & Scottish Band) Hits me like a ton of bricks

Midnight Oil (Australian Band)

"The Power and the Passion"
" Blue Sky Mine" (real place)
"The Dead Heart"

Big Audio Dynamite (1/2 of the Clash & 1/2 of UB40)

"E=MC2"
"The Bottom Line"
"Sony"
"Medicine Show" (in praise of our opinion of doctors)

Marvin Gaye "What's Going On"

Stevie Wonder "Higher Ground"
"You Haven't Done Nothing"

So in honor of all the Carnival Barkers on EVERY SIDE, quacks and mountebanks, and greedy corporations ...happy listening!

Peace. Out. Viva la Revolution
TTC.

This message was edited Nov 15, 2015 9:19 AM

This message was edited Nov 15, 2015 9:30 AM

Casa Grande, AZ

Hi Gang! :D

Jim and Kay,

The crab cactus and pine cone cactus is getting mailed out today. When DH wakes up (?) we'll get to the post office and send it to you. Please look for it. :D

DH is on vacation and had his friend over for Sunday foot ball...ALL DAY LONG! (11:00a.m.-10:30p.m.) Let's put it this way, they behaved like typical guys. They ate, drank, drank, ate, drank and ate some more ( eye roll) and definitely were merry.

His friend is a nice guy. Would do anything in the world for you. Best friend in the world to have. BUT.........I swear the dude thinks Planet of the Apes is a documentary! He is endless grist for the mill when it comes to needing material for stand up comedy!

DH and friend claimed they 'tidied' up but I looked around at the living room, kitchen, bathroom (groan) and patio. Well, being the anal retentive-obsessive compulsive little Agave that I am let's just say I'll be real busy today!

I'll also be bringing plants in from the patio because we (meaning I) suddenly found room in our former office for them. It is the warmest and sunniest room in the house. I'll also be out covering my plants tonight.

It's going to be 59 all day and in the mid 30s tonight and to add insult to injury it is going to be super windy! The fact that we had an all day good soaker all day yesterday and the soil is good and wet isn't going to help matters either tonight. (Bets did you steal my sunshine and send me your rain again?) It is supposed to be cold and semi rainy all week.

Brrrrr for the plants and me! My back
is definitely letting me hear about the cold and damp. I have arthritis in my lower back (hereditary) and in the small of my back I have a bulged disk (thank you Brinks and lifting HUGE dog food size bags of loose coin). I've cranked the heat, busted out the warm jammies and fuzzy socks. It is finally boot and sweater time also!

O.K.
Talk to you later.
Hope you all have a great day and didn't get too depressed from my little rant yesterday. Good and well written songs though especially if you read the lyrics. (Hard to get around some of the singers accents). Kind of stuff I wish I wrote myself. I don't care if it sounds like they beat on garbage drums as long as it has great lyrics and something intelligent to say I'll listen to anything. (except country and hard core rap...tried, just can't do it.)

Have a great day.
Peace. Out.
TTC.

Happy song for the day: " Looking Out My Back Door" by CCR (Credence Clearwater Revival)

TTC sadly, I only got to borrow your sunshine for a few daYS. . . but it was long enough to get my substitute gfarden helper time to plant my bulbs: it's resumed our rainy streak. . . with the added misery of cold, cold, COLD!!!

I sxpoke to my regular garden helper's lady Thursday afternoon and she was fine. . . Friday early (6 am), she was rushed to the hospital where they found her cancer had grown over the entrance to her stomach, cazusing extremepain, rapid weight loss and near-constant vbomiting. Her doctgor put in an IV (for nutrition and heavy-duty pain meds) and transferred her to hospice later Friday night. She was zonked out so heavioly, she wasn't aware of anything or anybody: she died Sunday night.

All comcerned here are in a state of shock. As she had terminalk cancer, we knew her death was inevitable. . . I guess we thought she'd gradually decline first. This was so sudden.

Casa Grande, AZ

Bets,
My condolences. I am sorry for your loss. The words seem trite but they aren't. I've lost many people I've cared for. Some for legitimate reasons and some because they just self destructed. Either way it never seems quite fair. It isn't. It is just life as we know it.

Wise Cactus said that you should not feel bad but rejoice in that your friend is no longer in pain and is at rest. She's celebrating her release. You should too. Go do something she liked to do or participate in something she enjoyed to honor her memory. She would probably appreciate that and the affirmation of you living life more than your tears and knowing she left you sad.

Hugs to you.
Hope the sun comes out real soon.
Look for it. It will be there!

Casa Grande, AZ

Hi JIm,
Get your Plants yet?

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Oh, so sorry on the loss of your helper lady. Cancer is so scary.

We had a great time in (rainy and windy) Texas. Time to get ready for winter, here.

Midland City, AL

Yes, TTC, the plants arrived in great shape. Much thanks. I picked up some cactus mix from Home Depot. My local nursery did not carry it. He mainly does commercial work. The plants are in pots in the GH for now. We don’t have any south or east facing windows that work well for plants in the house though we may by the time I’m finished with the remodel.
Sorry you didn’t get a last bit of southwestern sun before New England winter sets in, Carrie. Was the concert worth the trip?
Do I understand things right, Beth? It is your garden helper’s wife who died? He with the back problems? Why do problems and personal disasters never hit one at a time? Life piles them on sometimes.
Tigger went off the deep end and will need long term hospitalization. Her problems are too advanced for us to manage at home. A person in a manic state can go for days without sleep, but we relatively normal types need our sleep. We can’t watch her 24-hours a day and that’s what she needs at this time. She is in police custody at the moment. She stole Amargia’s work truck and went in search of a high. Evidently, she found one. The police had to taze her to make the arrest. The police charged her with unauthorized use instead of grand theft auto. She will, at least, not have a felony charge on her record. There are many misdemeanor charges, however, including resisting arrest, driving without a license and probably reckless endangerment. She was on medication. She was released from the hospital only 12 hours before she went on her rampage. I doubt the authorities will cut her much slack. Isn’t there an Arab curse that goes: “May you live in interesting times.” Life has been way to interesting for my taste lately. I could do with some boredom.
Kay is scheduled for a CT guided renal tissue biopsy Tuesday morning and will be able to come home that evening if there are no complications. She is happy and active today. We just discovered we are going to be grandparents again sometime next July. Our youngest biological grandchild is nine and the oldest will be graduating from college in June. We were not expecting any more. Mama is in her mid-thirties and in excellent health. This new little boy or girl will be grandchild #7. I guess we will be heading up to New York next summer.
Here’s our take on euonymus, the Japanese variegated variety. I was determined to have fall foliage color and tried a burning bush. It never color up well here. After reading Carrie’s article on the subject, I was glad I relegated it to the compost pile. The Japanese variegated variety is well behaved so far.

Thumbnail by seacanepain
Casa Grande, AZ

Good morning gang! :D

YIKES! What a time it seems to be for everyone.

Carrie: Even if the weather wasn't cooperative I'm glad you got to go do something fun for yourself, spent some time with your husband and enjoyed some good music. Always nice to do.

Bets: Hope you are o.k. and feeling a little better today. Has the sun come out in more ways than one? Songs just for you: The Letter by Macy Gray. I think you will truly appreciate this one. I know it is what every person who left us would say after they left us.

The other one is "I Can't Wait to Meet You." It is a letter from 'you' to God saying how much you love and enjoy life and are glad and appreciative of being here but you Can't Wait to Meet Him because of how wonderful he is and the place you will be going to is and what your life will be like there.
Upbeat music too.
Fitting also as the C.D.s title is "On How Life Is". Both songs are on it.

Jim: Yikes! I'm kind of at a loss as to what to say on this. How heart wrenching. My husband said how sad.

He works with an inmate that when he's on his meds and takes them regularly he is just fine. When he doesn't want to (His right..can't by law force him) and it wears out of his system in 24-48 hours he kind of does the same stuff. Shows up to chow with no shirt on and 2 different shoes; cusses and defies everyone including the one Captain that's built like a brick wall and on S.O.R.T. (special operations response and tactical...basically the riot control police...you know the guys with BIG cans of gas, big muscles and no necks who ARE allowed to beat on you legally). Anyway this normally really easy going, mild mannered inmate wound up spending more time in segregation than the worse offenders! When on his meds he'd begs everyone to make him take them everyday but when he chose not too you couldn't 'force him'.

It got to the point where the whole S.O.R.T. team gave up on the hardline approach and everyone kind of 'skirts around' the protocol (ahem...illegal). Now they just talk to him real soothingly and say, "Hey..they're having a fun activity in medical, or there's a real pretty nurse in there let's go take a walk there and check her out..wink, wink).

Once there the nurses can usually persuade him to take his 'vitamins' or whatever they're calling them. It works out and he's normal. He's been better and has spent a lot less time in seg. When he doesn't want to take them they now just keep him in an empty cell by himself in an unused part of the unit instead of seg (ahem...illegal) until they can get him back on his meds. People have to be logged when put in seg by law which means time gets added to his sentence each time! This has been their way of "helping him" and avoiding adding unnecessary time to his sentence due to something he has no control over and doesn't do on purpose! Everyone there from looking at his jacket (file/record...another thing you're not allowed to do!) know he's in there for an awful lot of things he couldn't help from the descriptions of the crimes...and yes...legitimately for selling drugs illegally too.

You wouldn't think such compassion would be exhibited in prison but...there are circumstances that just have to be worked with in a common sense manner and they found a way to do so. Warden's only requirement is he wants to know or hear nothing about it (as it is ahem...illegal) and if they get caught the officers are responsible...not him, he had 'no knowledge'! Dave is one of the ones who assumes this risk. I'm proud of him for it even though it could jeopardize his job. Isn't it shameful how you have to bend and break the law to get people the help they need?

I know what it is not to sleep with things like this. I don't have children, flesh of my flesh, but I had an Uncle who overdosed. My brother spent most of his life from 15- 35 dealing with alcohol and cocaine addiction (He'll be 50 in Jan and has been clean since he was 35). My parents would find him asleep in parking lots, have to come get him out of bars, he got the crap kicked out of himself a few times. My mom used to make nightly drives through the parts of town she thought he'd be. Found him in the PROJECTS once wandering around in the street stoned out of his mind! They got in a fight when she dragged him into the car, he hit her several times.

He kept going up in front of the same judge repeatedly who was giving him a break. Finally judge said, "You don't want to fix your problem, I'll fix it for you. Can't do drugs in prison so off you go. Gave him the maximum he could which was 5 years!) My brother had not really ever done anything bad like robbery or owned and carried a gun for the wrong reasons, dealt drugs himself. But he wound up with a prison record. (Kind of ironic years later his sister and BIL wound up working in prisons!) He said it was the rudest awakening in life he ever got!

The best friend I ever had self destructed right before his 31st birthday. I still am mad at him and ask him 'why' when I talk to him in my head. Tooooo long a story there. He was my best friend since I was 18 and in College. We were room mates the entire time. When I got to CA we were again. Three months after I moved to C.A. he died. I had moved in with a 'boyfriend' in a nice side of town as opposed to the sleazy one where my friend resided. I visited him a week before he died. Always felt a special kind of guilt over all this. Still do. Too many questions with him.

STILL a cold case as they don't know whether he o.d. on his own or if someone was there with him at the time as there seems to have been from the types of things stolen. He had them just the week before when I visited. Lots of other details and particulars to this story and time in life but these are the highlights. I have a few things that belonged to him ( a shirt, a pair of his shoes, pictures, the letters and cards I sent him...he NEVER threw them out!). I was the one who got power of attorney as his family lived in PA. so I was the one who went through his personal effects and papers and property and sent them back. Killed a part of me inside and haunted me. Still does.

Tigger's meds probably wore off at the worse possible time they could have. She probably isn't normally like this. I'm glad the police cut her some slack. Maybe they 'see' in her what Dave and the others 'see' with the one guy in prison. Perhaps they did the best they could to contain things without physically laying hands on her/laying hands on her minimally, without hitting her with a night stick or shooting her if she was violent with them and refusing to comply with their orders. I don't know all the details but these things come to mind considering tazing versus the above alternatives.

If you know who her judge is perhaps you can write a letter on her behalf and explain things and the behavior. Or maybe you can ask to speak in private chambers before you go to court. Maybe house arrest/ankle bracelet with weekly parole and mandatory doctor visits? They really don't like to send 'non-violent' or 'non-major crime' offenders to jail or prison they're already too overcrowded. Tell the judge you'll post a bond?

NOT being funny but can you slip her the meds into food or something she drinks so YOU KNOW she's taking them? Can you get her a home nurse to help her and you guys?

On the lighter side...That sounds like good news with Kay's eyes. I'm glad she has been active and in good spirits. CONGRATS on the upcoming grandchild. :D Hopefully both mother and baby will be well. I'm sure that won't be a problem with all of the knowledge and advances in this area now days. Dave's mom had him at 37! (He has a half sister 10 years older and a half brother 12 years older. He's his parent's only biological child together.)

Women are still having children in their mid 40s (some people are just gluttons for punishment I guess) some I'm sure mid 30s will not be a problem with a little common sense a little more attentiveness.

Hate to say it right now but things are looking a bit up for me. I'll tell you guys more later. Yesterday though had a great day in that I made it to San Tan Valley Regional Park and did some real hiking. Dug out the old combat boots. :D Also went to pay homage to Wise Cactus pre holidays and listen to the voice of my Magi. Also got to see many of his friends and family. His kids are in puberty! Ages 75-100 as they are getting their first arms!

Pics below.
1.) Me sitting on my rock with Wise Cactus.
2.) Wise Cactus asked me to stand and listen to what he was saying as he whispered to me. (I'm 5 foot 3 to give you an idea of W.C.s stature and presence!)
3.) Dave and I at the S.T.V.M. park. I caught him cheating...he was resting!
4.) Wise Cactus's one child...look, he's got his arms....awww...how cute!
5.) Just some interesting new growth on a type of Chola Plant

More pics to follow.

Thumbnail by Agavegirl1 Thumbnail by Agavegirl1 Thumbnail by Agavegirl1 Thumbnail by Agavegirl1 Thumbnail by Agavegirl1
Casa Grande, AZ

1.) Hedgehog cacti
2.) a view of the mountains
3.-5) A few of Wise Cactus's kids: "Heeey There" , "Peace" and "Chatty Cathy!"

Peace. Out.
TTC

Song for the day: Three Little Birds by Bob Marley. (I love this one as we all need to hear it at times...it's so darn 'happy')

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Oh dear, Tigger! I don't know what to say. I wish all the strength in the world! You will need a lot. Sometimes I think we were better off in the olden days when a UTI or a stroke or kidney disease could be fatal. If we didn't live so long and have so many great drugs, we could just die young. I don't REALLY think that but sometimes I do.

I'm glad things might be looking up for Agave and Kay. I can't think these days.

Casa Grande, AZ

Good Morning All,

Spoke with Wise Cactus the other day and remembered a very, very important teaching he gave me that morning. He has been whispering much for me to learn and share things that have been passed to him; very, very, very ancient knowledge given by his ancestors centuries ago. I transcribed it verbatim exactly as dictated. Hopefully nobody will be upset by the sharing of this tidbit of knowledge Wise Cactus recited to me.

Verse 73: Courage, Patience and Paradoxes

The world we live in
requires great courage and patience.

Those with great courage, but little patience
tend to kill or be killed.

Those with great courage as well as great patience
will tend to survive.

But the Great Integrity never judges you
for whatever path you happen to take.

The Great Integrity never strives
but always fulfills itself,

Never is commanded
but always responds.

Never is summoned
but always appears.

Never is impatient
but all is done on time.

I told Wise Cactus I didn't understand. He said,

"Because there is great misery and conflict in the world we must acquire great courage and patience to survive. If we have courage and patience in order to survive we will ourselves spiritually to learn the Great Integrity. When we acquire courage and patience we may survive (spiritually) BUT regardless of this the world will always generate chaos and misery until all beings acquire the Great Integrity.

Killing or being killed is not necessary physical but spiritual, emotional and mental in this life.
We therefore develop either patience or courage to deal with these 'deaths'.

If we have only courage and lack patience we endanger others and ourselves but whatever means we use to survive the chaos and disorder of life, the Great Integrity does not pass judgment on us because we are all different.
We all utilize whatever mechanism we can to defend against inherited social conditions and wrongs and injustices.
The Great Integrity (and Wise Cactus) does not judge anyone for their choice because blame, guilt, and shame are alien and toxic to the Great Integrity (and Wise Cactus).

We may be able to transform the world but there are always paradoxes that will exists and remain in it.
Only living in the Great Integrity can we transform ourselves, lives, and respond to that around us naturally without being commanded, or coerced into compliance by the situations around us.
We will fulfill our lives and how we are to live naturally according to the Great Integrity. When we are guided. The Great Integrity does respond to summons but He always appears.

We will accomplish all that we need to do in this life and are required to fulfill naturally and with patience instead of the impatience which originates in our being because we are out of harmony with our lives and the processes of life that occur outside our control or generated by others.

We may chose to harmonize our lives by using patience or courage but we can not have others harmonize our lives for us because we want them to. We want the to choose either courage or patience to please us. That is their choice what method they use.
All we can do is order our own lives and selves and allow the Great Integrity to appear. Remember he does."

Hmm....I thought. I asked Wise Cactus why this was "Verse 73" and what ancient text this came from.

"Little Agave it is from the Tao Te Ching by Lao Tzu. It has been whispered to us 2,500 years ago. Please look upon it as something like a book of Psalms. There is as much wisdom here as there is in all religious and philosophical books. All teachers have much to say.

"Tao" means Great Integrity, the universal integrity, wholeness and human's (and cacti and agave) holistic way of being as we were designed to be when created.
Verses 1-37 are the Tao...the path; the road leading to integrity and understanding of the universe and how it works in our lives.
Verses 38-81 are Te is Virtue
Ching is Ancient Text.

It is simply a guide book meant to liberate us of our frustrations in regards to our own 'human' (and cacti) nature and understand what we can and can not control in this life and how to progress on our path as only we can individually despite others and their choices and how they impact our lives."

Ahh...I reflected upon much in my life and friend's lives and thanked Wise Cactus for his meditative teaching.

1.) As always Wise Cactus whispering to me.
2.) The semi feral cats that showed up on my back wall to commune and discuss their own lessons from Wise Lion perhaps?
3.) Cotton being ready to be harvested here. They've been working on it steadily. You see big bales of it in the fields and trucks heading to the ginning place not to far from where Dave works.

Thumbnail by Agavegirl1 Thumbnail by Agavegirl1 Thumbnail by Agavegirl1
Casa Grande, AZ

Happy Thanks Giving all :D

Thankfully mine came and went on the 23rd as Dave and his motley crew had to return to work.

Let's see: Made a 5lb leg of lamb (we don't care for Turkey) with roasted potatoes
Dave made a ham on the grill (boys and toys)
Made a homemade long grain and wild rice stuffing with shitake and oyster
mushrooms and pear
Steamed asparagus and carrots
Greek Salad
Black Olive Tapenade with assorted crackers
Wine and more wine. Did I say wine?

Our neighbor Shirley was kind enough to provide a home made
Pineapple Upside Down Cake and some cookies

Spent from 6:00 a.m. in kitchen until 1:00p.m.

O.K. Here's my experience. NEVER, EVER, EVER cook any holiday meal for anyone again and if I begin to think about this quaint halcyon, Norman Rockwell, 'family and friends' crap again I am to look for the first large, heavy blunt object I am capable of picking up and bludgeon my self in the head with it until I obtain some sense.

What I learned:

Whatever you have planned is never enough because the people you invite don't show up and those that do tote along 3 extra bodies with them and don't ask or tell you.(Uhm...tacos anyone?)

Whoever you depended on showing up was supposed to bring something and didn't because they didn't show up and the 3 extra bodies that did of course brought nothing except a 12 pack and an obnoxious child.

Whatever recipe you have perfected is not perfect or you have to try something new you've never done before because you've discovered you don't have some obtuse hard to find but absolutely crucial ingredient in the back of your cupboard and didn't realize it OR if you do it is expired.

By the time you discover this fact the nearest grocery stores are closed and the only one open is way too far away for you to consider.

Half of these people arrive too early and nothing is done so they roam free range through your kitchen and eat everything like a swarm of locust and get in your way and aren't 'super hungry' by the time dinner is ready AND those that are supposed to be on time are late and you can't reheat anything because it will be drier than an old bone.

No matter what you serve someone is allergic to it, doesn't like/eat 'that' or compares it to the best Thanks Giving dinner they ever had...meaning not yours!

The dog inevitably does something stupid she never does all year long like throw up on the rug when you are at the most crucial point in cooking and can't leave the stove and company is at the door.

By the time it is 'dinner' you don't give 2 hoots in Hell about eating it because you are full from tasting everything to make sure it is edible for everyone else and inebriated so that you don't choke the life out of everyone else.(obnoxious child and 12 pack toting apes).

Husband is absolutely useless except for when it comes to getting under your feet and watching t.v.
God forbid he start on the dishes...and more dishes...and even more dishes. Did I mention dishes?

When these people leave so does your Tupperware. Might as well plan on buying more because you are never going to see it again or them after you lambaste your husband about it.

No matter how well you've cleaned you are still finding food in places you didn't think possible for 2 days later and the dog who NEVER-NEVER-NEVER gets people food still looks sickly.
We won't discuss the back yard.

Want to know what I'm making next year? RESERVATIONS!!!
Plenty of nice restaurants, country clubs, hotels, casino-resorts offer beautiful buffets and/or a preset menu.

Hope you all have a happy Thanks Giving.
I'll definitely have a Merry X-Mas because I will have made nothing but RESERVATIONS!

Peace. Out.
TTC.

Song for the day. "It's The Most Wonderful Time of the Year" by Andy Williams
(Yes...hear the dripping sarcasm)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.