Photo by Melody

Accessible Gardening: #20 Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeners, 2 by seacanepain

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright seacanepain

In reply to: #20 Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeners

Forum: Accessible Gardening

Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of #20 Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeners
seacanepain wrote:
My apologies for the long absence. It has been a rough, busy week and I have been in a foul mood.
That’s great news about the negative test results, Carrie. Do the doctors test your kidney and liver function on routine blood test? I ask because, if I were in your situation, that is the next possible explanation for a loss of appetite I would want to cross off the list. Considering all the medications you take, it seems only logical the doctors should screen for damage on a regular basis. I’m learning the hard way that what doctors logically should do and what they actually do is not necesarily the same thing.
Kay’s nephrologist verified the GP’s tentative diagnosis. Stage 3 CKD. Why weren’t the doctors aware of the problem when it was still in Stage 1 or 2? Once damage has occurred it is irreversible. Kay’s prognosis would be much better if we had known what the problem was sooner. All they had to do was a stupid blood test. I suspect the doctors brushed away Kay’s complaints about fatigue and her weight loss as Depression.
Tearing up floors and tearing out walls has been good therapy. I will do the repairs myself, but I think now I will hire a professional to do the installation. I hope to talk one of Kay’s nephews into designing the new floor plan.
Your heat stopped by for a visit, TTC, but it is gone now. Temps are expected to be down in the 40’s by Thursday.
Succulents and cacti travel fine through the postal service. I just wrapped the roots of the dragonfruit in a damp paper towel and slid plant and towel into a zip-lock bag. Soil is heavy and, since this is a humid environment, I worry that I might inadvertently ship some bad soil microbe or fungal spore. I popped in a couple of small cuttings in addition to the rooted plant just because I had the room and thought you might like having some extras to share with the neighbors. There are also a few sedums. ‘Evergreen’ and ‘Angelique’) You can never have too many small, groundcover-type stonecrops and they are more fun than bubble wrap or Styrofoam peanuts. (Well, I do know some people who think popping bubble wrap is fun, but you don’t strike me as one of THOSE people.)
We’ve lost some large tree limbs to the storms, but the trees themselves are still firmly fixed in the ground. The ground is saturated to the point the ants are out searching for dry places. Their mounds are popping up beside the roads like mushrooms and it is virtually impossible to work in the garden withoutt getting a few bites. If there are ants in N.C., it sounds like they need scuba gear.
It’s always good to see your post, Kb.
Hope your project goes well, Susan. Looking forward to seeing more of you on the forum.
Kay is the only one doing much gardening. Since Tigger is helping me with demolition, Kay is looking after her veggie garden. Kay’s touch is delicate enough that she is able to successfully transplant the excess seedlings she thins out. .
Indian summer brought back the angel’s trumpets for an encore performance. They provide such color and drama in the garden for such little effort, I can’t bring myself to pull them up despite the fact they are a horrible plant to have around honeybees. There is still so many things blooming the bees prefer, I’m not worried. Zinnias, marigolds, pineapple sage and anise hyssop keep the bees so busy they ignore the angel’s trumpets. I found yet another late bloomer to keep them occupied.
Photo #1: Mahonia ‘Soft Caress’ only grows to about 3 ft. making it easier to work into a shade garden than any other Oregon grape holly.
Photo #2: Another autumn blooming mystery plant. I like the form, but have no idea what it is.
(Jim)