It is June let's see the daylilies and everything else !

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

You are bad Sandra!!!! That 1st one is named appropriately. LOL!!! Them purple ones are not day lilies. If they are I'm liking them!!! That red looks painted!!!

Ripley, MS

The purple are Japanese Iris, the white with the edge is Frilled Enchantment and the smaller one is a species I think. I have moved them everywhere trying to find a place they like and I am hoping this is it. I hope to have many more blooms in the seasons to come now that they like it

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

They are sure pretty!!! I'd say the way it's blooming you have found the spot.

Ripley, MS

I can blame Kathy Ann for this addiction!

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

LOL!!! Then I'm gonna have to talk to KA!!!

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I'm blaming all of you for my day lily addiction! I can't add anymore. It's not going to be but a few years and a lot of my front yard is probably going to be too shady for them. I have a willow oak that we planted 8 or so years ago and it has really taken off this year.

I'm in CA now. The kids graduate tonight. Kristi has already left to be there early to save seats. About 40 of us are all going to be seating together. Two of her friends are helping her save the big block of seats. Hope they are successful!

Jeri that great news about Mary's apartment. You've probably already thought of it but a small fan to help circulate the air might help cut down on the air conditioning cost. Hope you can get her all settled soon. Just spending as much time as she has dealing with all the red tape is enough to make any tired must less someone that is sick!

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Forbidden Fantasy is beautiful Sandra! So are the other blooms! I think your story about the apartment Sandra sums up all that is wrong with our country...... not that I don't think people need help - but for her to pay 1.00 while you paid 225 is very unfair - especially if she was ABLE to work. One of my co-workers daughters got her rent for 25 plus her education and insurance paid, they gave her a cash card every month for gas or groceries (like a debit card) and then also gave her 2500 toward the purchase of a used car!! I was appalled...... because she definitely wasn't the ONLY one living like that! AND she was working part time. Now, instead of having 1 baby, she has 3..... and so she gets more perks. :(

I agree with Charlotte- the red type is exhausting.... I hope Mary gets settled in soon.
Hope ya'll get your seats tonight Charlotte! Have fun - congratulations to them both!

Kyle took his MCAT this morning and thinks it went good.... now we wait the 35 days to find out if he is right.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Jeri: Good news about Mary's apartment! So glad for her (and you!).

All these day lilies are gorgeous. I love them but I just don't have room for them here. Well, I should say that I have lots of room (4 acres) but not all of it is suitable for day lilies--too many trees, too much shade. I'll just stick to the flowerbeds that are already here. They keep me busy enough. LOL

Charlotte, I hope your group was all able to sit together at the graduation. I know you are all very proud of the twins (and Jake, too). Have a safe trip back home!

Sandra, it is hard to pick a favorite but I think Frilled Enchantment is especially gorgeous!

We worked outside all day yesterday. In the morning, I did some clean-up in the big flower bed in the center of our front yard.. I pulled some weeds, cut back the stalks on the daffodils and put some fertilizer around them, cut back the fading leaves on the Naked Ladies, pulled out all of the artemisia which was getting 'leggy' and taking over part of the flower bed. I am sure there are enough roots left that it will come back but I am going to try to "color it gone" from that flower bed. I like the way it looks when it first comes up but it is somewhat invasive and it needs to go.

After lunch, when the sun was on the other side of the house and I had some shade, I placed the brick edgers in front of the new flower bed in front of the new porch. Al had tilled it up the day before. It took all afternoon for me to get the edgers in place--it was slow going. We then added some more dirt and peat moss to the bed and raked it smooth.

Today we are going to plant the nandinas. I bought a variety called "Firepower" because I could find neither Harbor Belle nor Flirt around here.

You ladies have a good day! :)

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

You are gonna love Firepower. Here they really put on a show with their color in the fall. There you may not notice it with all of Yall's fall colors but here it pops!!!

Ripley, MS

Jeri, I never thought about fall colors down south until Tommy told me one day about missing the season change living there in Mobile. He said there are very few trees that look like fall, just summer, summer, hurricane season, maybe winter, then summer again !

Marilyn, Kathy Ann gave me that Jap Iris, Frilled Enchantment several years ago and this is the first it has bloomed for me, I love it too and can't wait until it makes a huge clump like hers!

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Kristi and her friends actually pulled off the seating! It was fun to seat with all their friends and family. These were Krisi's book club friends and her best friends. Most of the group had kids graduating. I have met all of them over the years and have met the kids as well. There were 650 in the graduating class so it can make for a long ceremony. They didn't have a lot or very long speeches this time. Jake's graduation lasted much longer. There was a group of 7 kids that started together in kindergarten and have gone all the way through school together and have been good friends the whole time. We were able to get a group picture of them after graduation. The school had a senior party for the kids in a town close by. They took them by bus and then everyone was locked in until 2:30 when the bus took them back to the school for them to go home. This afternoon they have several parties they are going to and then we are going into San Francisco to eat and celebrate. Kristi decided to have a party for them later this summer before all the kids go to college. Kind of a farewell party.

When my parents lived in Houston they really didn't have true seasons either. They lived in a town called Dickinson and the neighborhood they lived in had all pine trees so stayed green all year. There were things growing in their yard that were strictly house plants in LR.

I leave here Mon afternoon and will have tons to do when I get back. I will get to see Clint's campus before I go to the airport. Will have to see Justin's another time as it is a 5 hour drive from here. He may end up having more visitors than he wants. Kristi's best friend and her husband had a late night snack with us after graduation and they are already wanting the four of them to go down and spend the weekend. He will be in Santa Barbara where Michael Jackson's Never never land is and Opra lives there also. Very pretty area and a very pretty town I understand.

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Yea we don't have the beauty of the colored leaves much down here. It has improved some, there are roads planted with that in mind so we're getting some color now.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Amy Scarborough, the woman I asked for prayers for the next 3 months, is back at MD Anderson again today. We are not sure what has gone on that she is back down there so quickly because she wasn't supposed to have another laproscopic test until the 3 months were up. Her daughters are asking for prayers please........ they are looking to see how many masses there are and the size from what we understand. Info is limited, but God knows and prayers are needed.

Thank you!

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Genna sorry to hear about Amy. I saw a more recent post on FB by you that sounded like they can treat her. Sounded like good news.

I'm at the San Jose trying to get home. Airline travel is not easy these days! My flight has been delayed leaving San Jose and would miss my connection in LasVegas. There are 10 of us connecting to LR in LadVegas. All the flights are totally booked and it was even doubtful we could get out tomorrow. Finally one of the passengers asked if they could get the LR flight delayed out of LasVegas. After a phone call by a supervisor they agreed to do it. But we have got to really hustle!

I had a great long weekend. Graduation was great . We went to a Brazilian steakhouse in the city Sat night to celebrate. Went to church Sun and then the boys left for camp from church. They had 3 big charter buses full of kids.

Things have been really hectic at their house for the last month. Now all the kids have gone and Kristi said I it's going to be too quiet this week.

The weather has been really beautiful out here but I know I'm going to go home to heat.

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Genna got you down for prayers for Amy and her family. I agree with Charlotte that is good news in it self that M D Anderson is gonna treat her.

Charlotte I'm glad you had such a nice visit with your family in Ca. That really saved the day by them delaying your connecting flight.

Mary is still delaying doing anything in regards to filling out the application for the apartments. Today she was asking questions about if it was nice or not so she is back stroking on discussing it.

Ripley, MS

I am sure Mary is just exhausted, maybe she will get it done soon, is your house getting too crowded???

Charlotte, I hope you are home by now, check in when you can !

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Sandra I'm on my flight that goes LR but I want be home until. 8pm. Hey are still boarding others. But we I'll leave very soon

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

No she is being honest when she said she didn't want to live by herself. She does not want to but she has no choice because I'm still selling my house I just don't know when. She can't stay where she is now b/c there is no room there either and dirty. There is still the motor home Sandra. LOL!!!

Ripley, MS

Safe travel Charlotte !

Jeri, put her in the motor home, she does not need to be in filth taking treatments!

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

That is why I'm trying to get her to move into the apt. Dee has cost Mary a lot!!! I hope not her life. Of course, I know she doesn't care either way.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Made it home safe and sound and not much later than my scheduled arrival time.

Jeri I certainly understand you wanting to get her settled in an apartment now. It sounds like it's just a short distance from where you are now so it's not like she would be stranded there totally alone. In an apartment she might also qualify for some home health care assistance. I know you will make sure she is taken care of. I also see where you must be totally overwhelmed taking care of everyone. You have a lot on your plate and need to also think about your health.

I didn't say before I don't think but Clint has a girl friend. I got to meet her Thursday night. She went to dinner with us and is the nicest and sweetest girl. Jeff and Kristi love her. Sunday I got to meet her parents and they are also very nice. Her grandmother was Clint's first grade teacher. Justin has a girl he took to the proms that he really likes and finally this weekend he decided to officially start dating her. He was hesitant Kristi said to actually start a relationship as he felt the timing was probably not right. He is going to Santa Barbara and she is going to Iowa in the fall. But they really like her too.

They are really into graduation parties out there. Justin and Clint went to several Sat afternoon before we went into the city for dinner. Then Sun afternoon Jeff, Kristi and I went to one. Amazingly I actually knew a lot of people there. Then Jeff took me to the San Jose flea market and showed me Clint's campus. Kristi went to another graduation party. Since there were so many parties going on this weekend Kristi and one of her friends decided to go in together and have a graduation going away party at the end of the summer for their kids. I also asked about graduation rings and they don't do those. They said they still offer them but no ones buys them. They also didn't send out the old style graduation cards. What they sent out is just an announcement that they were graduating. It had pictures of both of them and told were they were going to college.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Thank you all for the prayers. Amy's prognosis is not the best, but at least MD Anderson has given her some hope with this new treatment they will try on August 4. They have more or less said this will be the last chance for a possible cure. If you will continue praying for her we would all really appreciate it.

Charlotte, glad you had a nice trip and got to meet the girlfriends.....and that they were able to get you home fairly close to on time!

Jeri, sorry to hear that Mary isn't moving on that apartment. I hope they have more than one or I suspect it will disappear quickly....... :( Change is always hard and she has been thru a lot in the past few months. But, I agree, she doesn't need to be staying in bad conditions and undergoing treatments! Her immunity is too compromised already!

A few beauties that I have blooming...............
1. Westborne Corn Crib
2. Forever Island Clump
3. Sound and Fury
4. Ginny Mitchell
5. By Myself

Thumbnail by gen2026 Thumbnail by gen2026 Thumbnail by gen2026 Thumbnail by gen2026 Thumbnail by gen2026
Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

1. Purple pigment
2. Red Volunteer
3. Red Flag
4. Spellbinder
5. My first zinnia....... it is a gorgeous red!

Thumbnail by gen2026 Thumbnail by gen2026 Thumbnail by gen2026 Thumbnail by gen2026 Thumbnail by gen2026
Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

1. Jungle Butterfly
2. Johnny Cash
3. Buttered Popcorn Clump
4. My first bloom ever on Arkansas Magic
5. Circle of Friends

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Good morning, ladies!

Beautiful daylilies, Genna! Prayers went up for Amy this morning. We may not know what is going on with her but God knows.

Charlotte, I'm glad you made it home safely and that you had a wonderful trip. You all were certainly busy when you were there. I've been to Santa Barbara and it is a lovely place! Justin should love it there.

I got to see Kathy Ann briefly on Monday. I drove down to central AR to pick up my grandson, Zachary, and drove home by way of Kathy Ann's place. At my request, she had bought an Empress Wu hosta for me a few weeks ago plus she had some plants to give me. I also bought some of her wonderful goatsmilk soaps while I was there. She gave me a start--a big clump, actually--of a Brother Stefan hosta plus some gold raspberry plants. She also had a monarda and four shade plants for me (Solomon's Seal) but we got to talking and forgot to put those in the trunk of my car! LOL I will pick them up next week when I take Zachary home.

Jeri, I'm glad to know that the Firepower nandinas have the good color in the fall and winter. The guy at the nursery told me they did, but you never know how they are really going to perform.

On Thursday morning, Al and Zach and I are going to Springfield to go through the wild animal park. It is a drive-through park. We will have lunch somewhere in Springfield where there are lots of restaurants to choose from and maybe do a little shopping. :) In the afternoon we will go on down to Branson and see the musical production of Jonah at the Sight and Sound Theater. Seeing the musical is Al's birthday present. It is somewhat pricey but worth the cost of admission, though. His actual birthday was yesterday, the 17th.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

I meant to post this picture of a daylily I did not know I had. I mean I knew I had it but I thought it was a ditch lily so imagine my surprise when I saw the lovely bloom on it! One of you must have given it to me at one of the RU's sometime in the last year or two. It is not labeled so I don't have a clue as to what it is but it sure is pretty. This is the first flower open. There are several more buds on it. :) The second photo shows it with the Japonica Fallopia which Kathy Ann gave me last year.

Thumbnail by marsue Thumbnail by marsue
Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Marilyn glad Zach is getting to spend some time with you. Sounds like you have a fun week planned for him. I think all three of mine are probably going to be able to come later this summer. I think Jake may be able to come in Aug after he gets back from Hungary and then Justin and Clint the very last of Aug/first of Sept before they start college. Jake starts back to college earlier then they do. His college is on a different schedule than each of theirs. So my Aug is probably going to be really busy. I'm glad that even through they are now 18 and 21 they still want to spend time with me. I'm the only grandparent they have so I think it's especially important that they know I'm there for them. Also glad you got to see Kathy Ann.

I've got to get in my yard sometime soon and pull up some of those horrible weeds that spread like wildfire! They are everywhere - just about the only weed I have. I'm going to try putting some newspaper over them. No way I can actually pull up every single one of them. They are very easy to pull up pull up but just too many of them! I had some that had gotten into the lawn around the the edges of the flower bed. The lawn man came last week for round 2 treatment of the lawn. He used sometime that killed them in the grass but it probably would kill my plants if I used it in the beds.

I went to an auction last night and bought lots of stuff so I'm going to be hauling furniture all afternoon. I bought lots of pieces but most of what I bought is small so I'm going to save my money and pick it all up myself. I bought home a load last night and it's still going to take two loads today in my truck.

Genna nice day lily blooms. I took a bunch of pictures yesterday but I haven't had time to look at any of them.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

We crossed Marilyn. Nice day lily. Kathy Ann gave me a piece of the Japonia Fallopia also and then I realized I already had some of it growing that I had bought somewhere. I really like it but after you have had it a few years it does spread to places you don't want it. It spreads underground and comes up several feet away from the original plant. Not a big deal as it is easy to pull up. I have several I need to pull up now. I planted one in a container so it would stand contained. It actually lived through the severe winter this year.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Charlotte, at your auctions, could you be on the lookout for a small square wooden dining table.... maybe 3' sq or less...... Jessi is needing one for her very small apartment but we haven't had any luck finding one. I think Leigh just may make her one....at least that is the plan if we haven't found one by the time he gets finished making her a modified captain's bed and a cabinet type thing that he is working on currently.

Marilyn, what a nice surprise! Love the color of that daylily...... Sounds like ya'll have a fun week planned. I haven't been to see Jonah, but we went to see Noah's Ark there and really enjoyed it.

I have tons of DL blooms but only these two that were new ones. I was excited to see that my Wedding Feast did survive.........one tiny fan, with one bloom. Not nearly as large as it has been in years past, but at least it is there! It was such a beautiful clump and I am not sure what happened, but now I am down to one tiny fan. Didn't even realize that the one fan had came back!

The other photo is a noid - might be a tag underneath, but I haven't found it yet. Anyone recognize it? I think it was one I got at a RU but not positive..........

I took these yesterday evening, but I did notice that one of my new ones that is still in a pot has a bloom on it today. I didn't have my phone with me at the time, so I will have to get a pic tonight.

Thumbnail by gen2026 Thumbnail by gen2026
Ripley, MS

Well, ladies, looks like the HEAT is on, so hot this morning making pictures ! I suspectIwill stay inside for the rest of the day, I was hoping we wouldn't get this until at least July, but our heat index is 99 today !

Love all the beautiful daylilies, I am so glad your wedding feast came back, it is such a beautiful flower. My first Persian Market bloom showed up today and it is so tall I was almost eyeball to eyeball with it ! I will post some pictures maybe later today, I am using my camera most of the time now for the daylilies and don't have too many on my IPad

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Wow - that is a tall one!! It is a sorcher for sure................. it was horrible at my house yesterday evening .... just stepping outside got your soaked! :( I'm like you and had hoped it would hold off, but we should have known better................

Do you recognize that second one Sandra?

Ripley, MS

It does look familiar, but I could not come up with a name, I am having a hard time trying to keep my names straight, I think I am going to give up on a couple of beds and just say they are pretty daylilies !!!!

Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

Hi everybody. We got back last night. I think I told y'all we went to Earl's 50th class reunion in Ohio. They had an informal get-together at a restaurant Friday night for those who wanted to come and socialize. Saturday night was the alumni banquet which now is a big dinner with DJ afterwards which is for all classes, but the 'milestone' classes are recognized (25th, 30th, 40th, 50th etc), 2 scholarships are awarded, and 2 alumni awards are given out. He is from a very small town and in the past each class was trying to hold a small reunion, so this really worked out cheaper and better for most classes (especially the older classes) to hold reunions together. We visited with a couple of people Sunday and then went to Mammoth Cave. Took 3 tours there and went by the Corvette museum yesterday on the way to Nashville. It was really enjoyable. They have the 8 cars that fell into the hole on display thru August. Quite a sight. We stopped in Nashville to visit Earl's good friend from HS who had a stroke about 3 weeks ago and who didn't make the reunion. So sad. His right side is affected and his speech. He was really looking forward to the reunion, but he's doing much better and is in rehab. Speech will be returning and they are working toward getting him to walk now but it's slow.

When we got home I had 2 ripe tomatoes! Yay! So we had a BLT last night and will have squash tonight. Charlotte. I think you said you were giving up on squash. I say that every year and every year I keep planting more. I don't know why. This year the leaves must have a fungus as there are white spots all over it. All the rain I guess. No bugs yet but it's a matter of time.

The DL's have exploded! I really do mean to post pics just haven't had time. Marilyn, I think that yellow one may have been a NOID I gave you. Looks like one I have anyway. I really only have 2-3 NOIDs, but my tags are really screwed up thanks to the yard workers. I must get busy re-tagging while they are blooming. I have taken pictures so maybe that will help me with the 'relocation'. I also have printed off pictures from the AHS and other websites of what I know I have. That has helped me a lot. Oh, and Marilyn, I think the Firepower nandina will be a great choice for you.

Genna your DLs look beautiful! You've obviously kept up with your tags, lol! Praying for your friend Amy.

Charlotte, I used to fly into Santa Barbara when I was going to Vandenberg AFB a lot. Beautiful city. If you ever go to see him, be sure to try to drive up to Solvang. It is a neat little Danish town not too far away. Maybe a hour drive but worth a visit. So glad you had a great time out in Calif!

Jeri, hope you can get Mary settled real soon. I know it's weighing heavy on your mind. I'm sure she's just a little bit scared right now too after what she went through with those scoundrels up in PA.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Sounds like ya'll had a fun visit Elaine! Never heard of that Mammoth Cave.....was it nice? My sister and BIL went to the Corvette museum last year - like late August or Sept I think ..... they were telling me all about it and then were telling me that the sink hole had taken some of the cars in with it. Some of them irreplaceable models....... and I know most of them were on loan to the museum. :( I was just thankful they were not there at the time the sink hold showed up!

I got my first tomato last night.............. I have been watching for weeks on end and wondering if they were EVER going to get ripe. Then it wasn't even one of the bigger ones that turned! Guess that's the way it goes. I bought some tomatoes at the Farmer's Market while we were in LR on Saturday to tide me over until mine started getting ripe.

I have finally managed to keep up with MOST of my tags, but a lot of my tags have faded to the point that you can't read them. Thankfully, when I was labeling most of my DLs, I was using a pencil on those metal markers and I would mark the front and the back both. The back has saved me many times! But, I still have some of my very first ones that I lost the tags to before I started using those type markers....... and even then I have some that I can't read. :( I have purchased one of those P touch label makers and have started trying to get everything labeled with it - but I already have some of the labels trying to come off after only a month or so. At that rate, they will not hold up! I am trying to clean the tag as I put on labels now and make sure all the air bubbles are out hoping that will make them more secure. I have to stick my tags as deep as possible into the ground because the dog likes to chew on them and pull them up!~

Anyone been to Glacier Natl Park anytime in recent years? We are trying to plan a family vacation - haven't been on a real vacation in 5 years I think , and I am trying to go on a road trip before Kyle gets married...... One of the places he really wants to see is Glacier but in the pics it just looks similar to Colorado........wondered if it was worth the drive?? If we do that option, we will also go to Yellowstone and some other places along the way.....

Ripley, MS

Genna, I have had good luck using the p touch tape on my PVC pipes and also on blinds, I have learned that a map is still the best. I know people don't like to plant in rows, but with daylilies that you want to keep the names on, it is the best way to go !

the first picture is the east bed at the end of the trailer, it just looked so pretty today. I moved Playing with sharks there last year as it wasn't multiplying any where it was, it is so pretty I want more of it. Karen Sue is the bi-color and Two Part harmony is the third one. I also have Hollywood Lights in this bed, but it hasn't started blooming yet

A japanese iris, i have to see if Kathy Ann knows what this one is, i have lost the tag on it

Butterfly on Pow Wow Berry eckie

Asian artistry-one of my favorite Munsons !

Thumbnail by slcdms Thumbnail by slcdms Thumbnail by slcdms Thumbnail by slcdms
Ripley, MS

More

Vermillion Clouds
Isle of Zanzibar
Pirates Lady
Flutterby

Ripley, MS

Emperors Butterfly
Banana Republic
All Fired Up
Homewrecker

This message was edited Jun 18, 2014 6:14 PM

Beautiful, Sandra!

Genna, we have not been to Glacier but it is on our bucket list. Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons can take plenty of time to visit so we have spent lots of time there. I have also had the marker tape come off some of mine; the lettering fades too. I have good luck with pencils but they will fade after a couple of years. I have tried to keep a list of the varieties I have over the years, but as I have moved them (and the lawn guys moved some and didn't move the tags like they were supposed to do) I have to go back and reconstruct. That's what I am doing now with a lot of things.

These photos don't always load in the order I want, but I took pics of the beds in the backyard where most of my DLs are blooming. It really looks pretty good. I now have them around most of the pond and bordering the beds on the other sides of the patio and down the sides of the house. The single bloom pic is Fairy Tale Pink.

Thumbnail by OutsidePlaying Thumbnail by OutsidePlaying Thumbnail by OutsidePlaying Thumbnail by OutsidePlaying Thumbnail by OutsidePlaying

1. Hyperion (Sandra)
2. Double Siloam Peony
3. White Linen (Sandra)
4. Alabama Jubilee
5. Duke of Earl (since I am married to Earl, I had to have this one, Lol)

Thumbnail by OutsidePlaying Thumbnail by OutsidePlaying Thumbnail by OutsidePlaying Thumbnail by OutsidePlaying Thumbnail by OutsidePlaying
Ripley, MS

Elaine, were you able to smell the Hyperion? While it is a rather plain bloom they are the most fragrant of the daylilies that I have.
I think that should be Irish Linen, I probably wrote it wrong on your tag, it came to me from Terrye, so isn't it nice how we all share things !

The shot of your pond area is so pretty. I would love a pond if the didn't attract frogs !!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.