It is June let's see the daylilies and everything else !

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Lunar Max Clump..... it is much more yellow than this pic shows.
Becky Lynn - this flower is bigger than the plant. Last year I had one tiny fan that survived the winter from me planting the fall before..... and it had a big flower for such a tiny fan. Now, I have two tiny fans and big blooms again. If it ever gets to be a decent size fan, I wonder how large the blooms will be....
Rhapsody in Black - this one came from Sandra it is beautiful
Big Kiss - I believe this one came from Cindy or Terrye, but it could have also came from those we dug at KA's house. Can't remember and I don't have that part marked I don't think.

Thumbnail by gen2026 Thumbnail by gen2026 Thumbnail by gen2026 Thumbnail by gen2026
Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Anyone happen to recognize these two? The tags are gone and they are in my bed that is going to have to be totally redone. I moved almost all the DLs out of that bed last year, but somehow missed these two.......

They either came from Terrye, KA or Cindy..... LOL Not that that narrows it down much!

Thumbnail by gen2026 Thumbnail by gen2026
Central, LA(Zone 8b)

LOL!!! Genna!!! You could label it CinKAter and cover all your bases!!!

Ripley, MS

Good one Jeri !!! The second one looks like Grey witch at the end of the day, a little faded out, so if you made this late in the day, does that ring any bells? Don't have a clue on the other one

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

That's cute Jeri!

i did make it late yesterday evening, Sandra............ no, the name doesn't ring a bell, but at the time I got those at KAs I didn't know anything about DLs and it was pretty overwhelming digging and labeling all those so it all ran together! LOL That was several years ago because I remember I had to get home to watch Alex's football game!!

Charlotte, I forgot to say that Kyle didn't get into any of the research programs that he applied for - INCLUDING the one at OBU!! You do NOT want to know what I think about that!! There were kids who are going to be juniors who got into the research at OBU while several of the top students who will be seniors did not. They do not have a good system in place to select seniors first in my opinion. Kyle doesn't HAVE to have it because he is getting a BA and not a BS...... some of the others are required to have research before they can graduate and I am not sure what those are going to do!! Most of the ones he applied for out of state said that first priority would be given to those who planned to do research as a career and also some went to minorities first or kids who were first time college attenders in their family, etc. He didn't meet any of that criteria. Some of the places he applied had over 750 applications for only 10 slots or less. He is working at the bank again this summer. He was going to work here at the plant because they had a MAJOR jump in the payscale out here for summer help...... and he would have made more here, but then the bank called and wanted him to come back there. He would make about 500 less at the bank, but he would be in the ac all day instead of out in the heat plus the big factor was that when he didn't have customers at the bank, he could study for his MCAT. We decided it would be worth it for him to have the additional study hours. He took his test last Friday..... now we just wait on the score! Will be 35 days before we know............ They love him at the bank because he always balances....LOL and they treat him very well. Several have even said they will be at his wedding.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Genna sorry Kyle didn't get into a research program but it's a competitive world out there. That's the kind of competition Justin and Clint faced trying to get into a college they wanted. Grades are not the only thing they look at. That's why Jeff spent big dollars and hired professionals to help them with their application process. They were trying to get their applications to stand out among the thousands the colleges were looking at. The colleges they applied to are known for only being able to accept a small percentage of those that apply. Justin has a slightly better grade point than Clint but he didn't get accepted into the college Clint is going to. Clint also applied to the one Justin is going to and he didn't get accepted there. Jeff said sometimes the major makes a difference. Clint's major is a better fit with the college he's going to than what Justin is majoring in. Not sure why Clint wasn't accepted to the college Justin is going to.

Ripley, MS

What are the boys majoring in, Charlotte?

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Clint is majoring in environmental science. Justin is getting a double major in economics and accounting. We don't think about it being hard to get into a college here. Anybody that has a half way decent grade can get into any college in AR they want and I imagine that's the case in most of the states in our area.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I didn't take any individual pictures today but I have some just incredible clumps. The pictures don't even come close to doing them justice. The middle pink day lily is huge! Much larger than I remember it being last year. I should have put my hand in the picture so would have some to compare the size with. Somewhere down is that mess of leaves there should be a tag put it's too much trouble to dig for it. I'm just going to enjoy them whatever they are! I also just realized the first picture is not it's true color. It is a lot more red than what it shows in the picture.

Thumbnail by cperdue Thumbnail by cperdue Thumbnail by cperdue
Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

If you want to see an incredibly talented young lady that has a great future google Annie Wu flute or Annie wu pleasanton, ca.. She was a classmate of Justin and Clint's and they were in jazz band together. She made the President's Scholar list in the Arts and is in DC meeting with the President now. She plays the flute and has already performed solos at some big time places such as the Julliard. She played the Star Spangled Banner at graduation. She does classical as well as a sort of pop version. She has a scholarship to Harvard and will be in some kind of 5 year program and she will end up with a masters in music as well as something else I believe. Anyway if you google her you will find lots of stuff on Utube. She is also just an ordinary 18 year old.

This message was edited Jun 20, 2014 7:53 PM

Ripley, MS

Good they know what they want to do, so many kids don't when they first go to college.
I shared this on FB already, but didn't want anyone to miss it, one of my new ones this year

Mountains bow Down

Thumbnail by slcdms
Ripley, MS

Love your pretty clumps, Charlotte. I used to say the names didn't matter to me too, but then I kept buying the same ones over and over again, so I decided I needed to start keeping the names. That is the real reason I started keeping names on them!

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

I've really enjoyed everyone's pictures and aren't you the lucky person, Sandra, to get all that free mulch. I just paid over $350.00 for 50 bags. Then had to pay someone to go get it.

Genna I'm sorry too and I know that Kyle is really disappointed but I know that Kyle is a very determined young man and there is something better down the road for him. He's got the right attitude to not sweat the small stuff and keep his eye on the mark!!!

Charlotte, Jeff was really smart to even know about the professionals. I've never heard of it but it can never hurt now days to be prepared! I went to college to have a good time. I'm being honest!! You know I did that at USL. It was voted the Best Party school. That was when my parents had me switch to LSU. LOL!!!

Ripley, MS

I had given the girl plants before--the pine needles were in her yard--Yes, I was blessed !!

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

That's a beautiful one Sandra! Day lilies have been really pretty this year.

I do have a list of all the ones I have and the first year I took pictures and maybe also the second year I always labeled the picture with the name. I do have metal tags for all my day lilies but mine are so close together and also they have grown so much since I planted them that the tag is down in the middle of the foliage. So it is a real effort to find the name - however I can do it if I need to! I don't have room for anymore day lilies unless I decided to get rid of something and replace it with something I like better. Who knows I may do that some day. Kinda like in my house - nothing new can come in unless something old goes out! I did find a perfect little chest/side table for beside my chair this week. The old table is going to the antique mall! I've been wanting something with drawers in it so I can store some supplies I use all the time. I had even bought a little expensive thing at the container store that I could use but then be able to roll into the laundry room when I had company. I can put it to some other use now!

St. Simon's Island, GA(Zone 9a)

My daylilies have been exceptional this year too. Wonder if it was because of our cooler winter?

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Jeri it's probably not that common around here to use professionals. That was the first time I had ever heard of it. They hired a professional writer to help them with their essays. She didn't write it for them. What she did was talk to them about their interests and helped them figure out a topic that would stand out. She first talked to them on the phone and then they went to her studio in Berkley for interviews. Then she critiqued the essays when they were finished and helped them fine tune them. She was actually originally from Monroe, LA. Small world! They had another person help them with filling out the actually application. He basically does it for a living. It is common to use professionals in the area they live in.

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Yes Charlotte and the times are different from 1972. LOL!!! I know now it's a lot more competitive than back then almost beginning with getting into the right daycare. The internet has even opened that competition up to the whole world.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Oh my! I had forgotten about the getting in the right things way before school! Before Kristi quit work when they were little they had a lady that came to their house to keep the kids.
But you just jogged my memory and I remember her visiting all these pre-schools to find the right one. I even went with her to one. Then she signed them up before they ever went. They started pre-school at 3. It was not a day care but a school. They just went for a few hours in the morning.

I was just about as bad about that kind of thing with Jeff. I started him in kindergarten when he was 4. There was only one kindergarten in the entire town that had a 4 year old class and they only had one class. I had to sign him up way before he actually went. It was from 8:30 am until 11:30 am. I worked downtown and the school was downtown so I would run him by on my way to work and then run pick him up at 11:30. A lot of times I would have to take him back to my office while I finished up something at work. Then I would run by the house and feed him and then take him to the baby sitter for the afternoon. What I accomplished by doing all that was having a very bored child in the first grade! Kindergarten wasn't mandatory at that time and very few kids actually went to real kindergarten. So he started to school with 2 years of kindergarten where they taught most of what they taught in the first grade! But at least he really got a really solid foundation!!! Although he spent most of his time staring out the window at his German Shepard sitting right outside the class room on the lawn! Poor teacher!!

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Yes Charlotte, for some, school is even more important than when we went to school. Everything is competition now for the best. Most children back then did their best everyday. Now kids have so many problems they have attitudes in kindergarden. Jimmy was in a small private school for the 1st grade and the teacher taught 1st- 3rd grades. By the end of the year they wanted to move Jimmy to the 4th grade and I refused to let them. I think Jimmy resented that the rest of his school life, but I was afraid that he wouldn't be able to handle the maturer kids and be picked on. You just never know the right decision at times.

I visit both Brooklyn & Peyton's classes and it breaks my heart at the numbers of children that have nobody to attend their parties. Usually, Peggy & Leon, the girls other grandparents go also so we split up and grandparent some of the ones without parents or grandparents present. Brooklyn is going to the 3rd grade and Peyton the 1st grade now and most of the kids have been together since kindergarden so now we know them pretty well already. Peyton had the same teacher for kindergarden as Brooklyn so we already knew her and what to expect from her too.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Jeri I think you made the right decision. My good friend's grandson is the same age as Justin and Clint. Her daughter decided to start him in the first grade a year late. She didn't feel he was mature enough to start first grade. Very smart kid that was not the reason she held him back. My friend always felt she should have started him when he was supposed to rather than holding him back. She said her daughter just didn't want to let go of him! LOL

I think the lack of parent involvement is one of the things wrong with kids these days. Like you I was always involved in Jeff's activities and school. When the teacher would ask for a mom to do something at school he was always volunteering me without asking me first! He volunteered me as homeroom mother one year. I worked over 15 miles away from his school. When I would plan a party and start calling other moms trying to get someone to help with the party or bring cupcakes, cookies, etc they would tell me they couldn't because they worked! Well I did too and even worked in a different town but I arranged to take off work for the parties. I certainly felt they could at least make something and send to the school with their kid! Off my soap box now!!

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

When the kids were young a parent that went and bought cupcakes was looked down on by all and now you can't do home made anything for the children to consume it has to be store bought as my grand daddy would have said. LOL!!! Times have change!

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Times have changed! Doesn't the serving only bought stuff have to do with sanitation or something? We all survived on the delicious homemade stuff! No wonder the young generation today has so many problems!

Jake is really having a great experience in Hungary. They had a musical program for the kids at his school today. He was responsible for a lot of it. Several of the parents bought presents to him. He was really surprised to get the presents but really appreciated it. After the program the school took all the teachers out to dinner. They had catfish for dinner! He said it was coated in paprika (they use paprika in everything) so it was different. But he said he felt like he was in Arkansas eating catfish!

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

No I think it has to do with bad people putting broken glass and such in the cupcakes to hurt the children.

But they would call every year at the end of school for a carrot cake for teacher appreciation.

This message was edited Jun 21, 2014 8:03 PM

Well, spent three hours putting down 25 bags of mulch, changing out 5 sprinkler heads, planting a few stragglers, and now I'm showered, and I'm going to sew!

Ripley, MS

I had rather do most anything than sew----LOL---I assume from your avatar you like to quilt, my sister does too, but I didn't catch that fever. I do like to cross stitch and embroider when my hands will cooperate !

I love to sew! When it is too hot or too cold to work outside, my time is spent at the sewing machine. I always had several projects in various stages of production. And right about now, it is getting too hot to do any real work in the yard. Too hot for me and for the plants! Just a little weed-pulling and deadheading now and again.

Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

I had a lot to catch up on this weekend but managed to get it done, mostly in the mornings before it got too hot. Dug up an ugly ditch lily (don't even know where it came from) and replaced it with a 'real' DL. Dug some daffodil bulbs that need to be relocated. Weeded that bed that has the mulberry weed in it, and also the brick wall bed that borders the woods. Deadheaded almost all the DLs and some other things. We limbed up and trimmed a few trees. And picked several things out of the garden. Oh yes, and I managed to re-label almost all my DLs.

I have more daffodils to replant than I thought. For now I have put them under the house where it is cool. If I don't plant them now, should I put them in bags and put them in the refrigerator til late fall?

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Just flying through--we are leaving in about 1 1/2 hours to take Zach to Silver Dollar City. We've been to the wild animal park, to see the musical production of Jonah (fantastic, stupendous, wonderful!), been tubing on the lake twice and we actually made it to church yesterday! :) I'm taking Zach home tomorrow. It's been a busy and exhausting week but fun, too! It will be a long day today but worth the time with Zach. He will ride all the rides and Al and I will see the shows at SDC. They have a wide variety of shows and entertainment available for us older folks who don't want to ride scary roller coasters. LOL

All the photos of the day lilies, etc., are just gorgeous. I've read everything but there is just too much to comment on.

Sandra, what a score for you to get that free pine needle mulch! Wish I could find a source for some!

Gotta go get ready. Talk to you ladies later. Have a good day!

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Marilyn I know Zach is having a wonderful time. Although it can be tiring there is nothing more important than spending time with your grandchildren. Mine have finally reached an age they really don't want to do a lot of the things they did when they were younger. They just like to hang out and go out to eat. Jeff said he used to send them to camp with a pocket full of money to do all these special activities (paint balling, etc) - they didn't want any activities money this year! Jake is coming the 6th of Aug to spend a week with me before he starts back to college. He gets back from Hungary the later part of July. Justin and Clint are probably going come the first part of Sept before they head off to college. That one on one time without parents is important.

Elaine I should have been out doing what you did this weekend but I didn't! I'm trying to get some furniture ready for when my new booth space opens. I'm going to do all white painted furniture in it. I got 3 pieces done this weekend and have 3 more to go. At least I was cool. I have a window air conditioner in my garage and I also turned on a oscillating fan to keep the air moving and it was actually cooler than the in the house. I'm going to have to take a couple of days break and get some other things done before I start on the other 3 pieces.

Ripley, MS

Charlotte, I agree, when Mother and Dad are around they just can't say or do things they do without them. Amanda is coming home today, I have had lots of fun with Charity, she doesn't want to get out of the house, had to make her go to town with me Fri. As long as she has a book she is happy ! faith is not going to get to come until the end of July, she has been with Cayla while they cruised.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Whew....ya'll have been busy this weekend! I am just catching up!

Yeah, Charlotte, Kyle is used to competition - he knew it was a long shot to get in to them, especially because he was honest and told them he wanted to become a doctor. That limited his odds a lot,but that's ok because I would prefer him be honest. I had hoped to help him with his applications, but it didn't work out that way. I think I might could have helped him some, but not sure it would have made a major difference in the outcome. With both parents college graduates and him being a white male, he was already handicapped going in on all the applications, then to not want imply that he desperately wanted to pursue research for the rest of his life, also limited him. We knew it was a long shot. I was hopeful he would get in because I knew he would enjoy it, it paid well, and would look good on his med school apps, but I am thankful that I get to have him at home for this last summer.

Leigh and I spent all day saturday at this huge estate auction in town. It started at 8:30 that morning and ended about 8 that night and they were MOVING thru a lot of merchandise the entire time! They probably sold 30,000+ dollars worth of advertising memorabilia - coke signs, grapette, several others, thermometers, etc. I bought a small chest with some cute detail work on the front for Jessica and I to redo, bought Kyle a small drop leaf table and 2 chairs that they are going to use as a dining table - and that frees up the square table he has now for Jessica which she is excited about! I bought him a couple of crock pitchers that he wanted to keep his kitchen utensils in, bought one concrete birdbath for myself, Leigh bought some tools..... They probably sold 50+ pieces of concrete - they had all kinds of bird baths, fountains, concrete benches in different sizes, statues in all shapes and sizes, pots, etc. They had all kinds of collectibles, lots of antique toys, peddal cars that had been professionally restored, a house full of gorgeous oak furniture that was all high quality and completely redone - and it all went dirt cheap. Wish the kids would have had room, or that I had a place to store it, but they sold a 5' round oak table in immaculate condition and 6 chairs - all completely redone - with leather covered seats.....for 200! They would have loved something like that once they could get bigger apartments or a house - but I am out of room to store things!! Came really close to buying it anyway - then trying to get rid of some things we don't really need to free up some space....but I didn't. It was a LONG hot day!! I also bought a couple of fireking jadite pieces for Jess that she loves. I got a bowl cheaper than the ones we had been watching on ebay or in the antique stores - and at half the price of the one that sold at the last auction i was at. I also bought a casserole dish which we hadn't seen available before and it sold for barely more than the bowl. She wanted it really bad, and I got it for 40. I put it back though and am planning to wrap it up for Christmas and surprise her. They had several things that disappeared at this auction before they were ever sold....... I have never been to an auction where I knew things had been stolen before - and there were at least 4 things we knew of.... so I am sure as much stuff as there was, there could have easily been several other things I never noticed. We didn't get to eat supper until after 9, but I was so happy that Jess and Kyle almost had supper ready when we walked in.....they had been waiting til we were headed home to start it. I had orders some replacement grill top parts for my grill and that came in during the day and Kyle had even put all those in place for me! It was nice!!

My sister fixed lunch for us yesterday so we spent several hours at her house. We had a light rain as we were leaving there and it dropped the temps a little.... I should have gotten out and did some more cleaning up and weeding and putting out mulch, but I didn't. I had sweated so much the day before and was so nasty....i just didn't feel like getting that away again so late on Sunday evening. So, I spent the rest of the day trying to catch up on laundry, clean up the kitchen etc. Stuff that of course, really needed to be done!

My daylilies are still blooming quite a bit, my zinnias are really beginning to take off and my hibiscus and butterfly bushes are really putting on a show. We have had several fresh peppers and tomatoes out of the garden and have really enjoyed them.

Marilyn, sounds like ya'll have had a great week with Zach! Have a safe trip to and from taking him home.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Sandra, we cross posted. Glad you are getting some one on one time with Charity. I lost my last grandparent just as I was turning 6, but I still have a few memories of spending time at her house or walking to the PO office with her - just me and her. My kids LOVED spending time with my parents..... unfortunately, Kyle was only 5 and Jess 4 when my Dad died. Then they were 8 & 9 when Mom died, so they didn't get to enjoy them long enough! They loved Leigh's mom but she had a lot different personality and they didn't get to just spend the night with her or the afternoon with her etc like they did my Mom.

But, I feel the same way about my kids..................that I REALLY miss that one on one time I had occasionally with Alex before he got married. I love Natalie, but sometimes I just want to spend time with Alex. I miss those times. I know that I will miss my time with Kyle even more because he and I have always communicated so much. I know he will still communicate with me, but I know it won't be the same. But, I am truly thankful they have both been blessed with such sweet Christian young women.

Natalie's last day at her Snell job was last Friday..................... so if anyone hears of any jobs around LR, please let me know!

Hope everyone has a great day!

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I have lots of fond memories of the time I spent with my grandparents. My mother's father died when I was in the 6th grade and things changed a lot after that. But I spent a couple of weeks with them every summer. My grandfather was a farmer and raised cotton and corn. One of my best memories is riding with him in a mule drawn wagon to take cotton to the gin. Just the two of us would go. I also spent time at my dad's parents but not as much time. They also lived in town and not as much fun things to do as on a farm.

Genna the oak furniture went so cheap because no one wants it anymore. That's the kind of price I see a lot for oak furniture. It's good solid furniture but just not what the young people want now. I've bought a few pieces and painted it. That's the only way I can sell it.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Yeah, I know it isn't the "In" trend, but both of my kids would have loved it.....even if they painted it, it could always be stripped down in the future if the trend returned to oak instead of the particle board furniture. My kids are a little unusual because they really like antiques and appreciate the solid wood furniture - both said they would have loved to have had it. But there is NO way they can put a round table in their little apartments bc it eats up too much floor space - much less a 5'! :) I will admit Jess would have wanted to have at least painted the chairs- and probably put a cute fabric in the seats instead of leather, but it would have lasted them until they were ready to pass it on to their kids. Just couldn't store it.

They also sold one of the most beautiful cast iron beds that I have ever seen - it only sold for 325.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

When you start getting into wives Genna they usually have their own idea as to how they want to furnish their house. May not always be the same as what the husbands want but most husbands learn to stay out of that area! LOL

"Sunny Border Blue" Veronica Speedwell
Cardboard palm
Pineapple Lily, Persian Shield, and Raspberry Truffle coneflower
"Peachie's Pick" Stokesia
Coneflowers "Sombrero Coral" and "Pow Wow Wild Berry"

Thumbnail by happytail Thumbnail by happytail Thumbnail by happytail Thumbnail by happytail Thumbnail by happytail
Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Very nice Happytail..... looks like your yard is in full swing too! What are your temps like now? It has been being very hot here and very humid, but we finally got a nice rain this evening. My sister got one yesterday - she only lives about 10 miles from me, but we only got a sprinkle. tonight was fairly heavy rain that lasted at least 30 minutes so that should help some.

That cardboard fern is unusual........ don't believe I have seen that before.

Genna

Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

Happytail, your plants look great! Such pretty combinations. What is the variegated plant in the last photo? Love that. Don't know if some of that would survive in my zone but it sure looks great in the mixed beds.

Genna, it sounds like the auction was fun and productive. I know you hate to pass up a good bargain.

I too remember going to 'the country' to visit my Grandma and all my aunts, uncles and cousins every summer. My Grandpa (on my Dad's side) died when I was a baby and my Grandma lived with my aunt and uncle (one of my Dad's brothers). My Dad's two sisters lived close by so I would get to go stay with all of them and play in the country for 2 weeks. I loved it. Two of the families had small farms and my aunts let me help milk cows, gather eggs, feed chickens, pick the garden and just about everything else. The other aunt gardened (maybe that's where I get part of my interest in gardening) so we would pick flowers and work in the yard part of the day, cook, play the piano, and she at some point took up painting (that didn't rub off at all!). My cousin (her daughter) and I would lay outside at night on a quilt and watch the stars or just act silly. It was the best of times and I still remember most of it.

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Good morning all!!!

Your plants are looking good there Happy!!! I think you and I are in about the same zone. Other than last winter I think I went down to zone 8A.

Genna that was some really great deals and I'm certainly glad that Jim wasn't there. He likes to buy everything!!! The last antique auction I let him go to was years ago in New Orleans at the super dome and he spent $10,000.00 before I could blink. He filled up my already full house and then started on my daughters.

Yes I have to agree Grandparents are most essential in the growth and well being of children. In my case too, my grandparents raised me and I loved them dearly for that. That is why I am so proud now to wear the title of grandmother and I often think this is the icing on the cake of getting old. LOL!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.