It is June let's see the daylilies and everything else !

Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

Unique Purple (I think)
Athlone (Sandra)
Joan Senior
Roses in Snow
Bama Bound

Thumbnail by OutsidePlaying Thumbnail by OutsidePlaying Thumbnail by OutsidePlaying Thumbnail by OutsidePlaying Thumbnail by OutsidePlaying
Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Pretty beds Elaine! Everyone's day lilies are so pretty. I have taken pictures of a bunch of stuff but haven't had time to go through the pictures I took yet.

Elaine I'm sure I'll go to Justin's campus at some point and will remember the dutch town you mentioned. I've been all over the coast in that area just don't remember going into Santa Barbara. I've driven the coast with them a number of times from San Diego to San Francisco. The kids love to surf and we've hit every major surfing beach between the two spots. Then Richard and I rented a car one year and drove up the coast north almost to Oregon.

Jake is have a real aaah haaa moment this summer. We all have that moment at some point when we realize our parents know a lot more than we thought. For Jake it's happening this summer. He has realized that at 21 he has seen and experienced more than most people do in a life time and it's all been possible because of his parents. They have always taken them places and with them he has seen most of the western states, DC and the eastern coast all the way down into the Carolinas, Michigan, Indiana, Florida - Arkansas and I'm sure a lot of other places that I don't remember. He's been to Hawaii several times, Mexico and 3 or 4 countries in South America and now traveling all over Europe by himself. He realizes he would not be able to do and see all the things he is doing in Europe without their help. He even jumped out of an airplane when he was 18. That's what he wanted for his 18th birthday so they bought him the ticket and let him do it while they watched. Don't know if I could have done that!!! He got his first passport when he was 6 months old. It has his little picture on it and is stamped that he traveled to Belgium and Holland.

I decided this afternoon that weeds (or actually just one weed) has gotten to the point that drastic measures are needed! So first the first time in I don't know how many years I bought Roundup! I don't plan to use it in my beds but that horrible weed what ever the name of it is is coming up between the concrete on the patio even. It has little seed pods and it's impossible to pull it all before the seed pods appear. I sprayed between the cracks good this afternoon. I also sprayed with a very very gentle steam along the front sidewalk where the sidewalk and stone meet. I also have a lot of poison ivy this year. I used to have a lot years ago and kept pulling it up until I just about got it all and then for some reason here it comes again!!

I have picked several tomatoes and some zucchini. I have lot of tomatoes on my plants but the plants look terrible! I may buy some more tomato plants. The leaves are all turning yellow and shriveling up. I guess it's because of the all the rain and strange weather. Most of the tomato plants at our garden look that way.

Ripley, MS

I love Athlone, I paid 1.00 for it in an order I made once, I have probably given away 50 fans and still have a fair sized clump. I can't really explain why, it just looks so graceful the way the scapes stand.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Sandra I would love to have frogs!!! I want bullfrogs. I've even bought large tadpoles and put in my pond. Never saw a frog!

Genna where did Kyle end up going this summer for his project?? or whatever it was that he was going to do.

You are right, Sandra. I should have written Irish Linen. My memory is not so good this late at night. You wrote it correctly. I have been smelling all of them this year and yes, Hyperion smells so good. It is so perfect-looking too. I also have a huge NOID spider that I have had forever that smells wonderful. It always is one of the first to blooms and is covered with blooms. I also have a lot with huge flowers this year.

Charlotte, we have 2 huge bullfrogs! Elvis has been there since we first put in the pond. They scared the poor guy who was cleaning out the pond this Spring. He said he hadn't seen such big bullfrogs in a long time. We see their heads peeking out among the lily pads sometimes. There are other varieties out there too. They have really been sing in the past few weeks!

Thumbnail by OutsidePlaying
Ripley, MS

Charlotte we crosses, are you talking about vetch? If you don't want to use round up, you can always pour boiling water on the concrete, will kill them dead--I went on a kettle buying spree one year and bought several kettles to boil water in and used them for weeds, but now I have way to much area to do that.

Sandra, I meant to write that is a pic of the spider NOID I was talking about.

Ripley, MS

I just don't like frogs, sorry for all you frog lovers, but something about them just set my nerves on edge.

Ripley, MS

Not that is one huge clump! Have you ever divided it?
beautiful !

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

No Sandra it's not vetch. The seeds are super tiny and spread everywhere. A lady I'm FB books friends with was talking about how bad she has it too and she knew the name. I looked back though her posts but didn't see it. She has lots of posts. She is a meticulous gardener and has the most beautiful plants you've ever seen. She has been posting her day lilies and they are breath taking! She spends big dollars on them. Replaces some old varieties with some new varieties every year. My extension agent was at my house last year and she also know the name of it. She said the only thing I can do is pull it up! I'll take a picture tomorrow and post. You probably know the name of it. I have one of those electric kettles that heats up water super fast. Faster than a microwave but I have way too much space to boil water.

Oh yes, I have divided it several times. You want some?

Boy, going over that last post, the photos really got messed up in order. Should be:

Roses in Snow
Bama Bound
Unique Purple
Joan Senior
Athlone

Man, I shouldn't be posting late at night or paying better attention!!

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Thought I would post a few pictures this morning. These are from the campus of Santa Clara University. Santa Clara is next to San Jose. The weather there is obviously perfect for growing roses. There is a beautiful rose garden in San Jose. The campus had tree form roses planted with zinnias planted underneath. The pictures of the trunks are wisteria trunks. I had never seen any so huge! The building is the chapel but to the right of the building is a huge rose bed. The walkway of roses in the first picture leads to the chapel.

Thumbnail by cperdue Thumbnail by cperdue Thumbnail by cperdue Thumbnail by cperdue Thumbnail by cperdue
Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

These are a few from the back yard. I planted the hypertufa tub with dragon wings begonias this year. I like the begonias better than anything I've planted. The big leaf plant to the right in the tub picture is my hardy begonia. It's really taken off. The EE's in the first picture are in the ground. Surprised so many are coming back.

Thumbnail by cperdue Thumbnail by cperdue Thumbnail by cperdue Thumbnail by cperdue Thumbnail by cperdue
Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Some of my favorite day lily pictures I took yesterday. They all have names but no way I'm digging around to find the tags!

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Charlotte those roses are gorgeous!!! Can you imagine going to class everyday on a campus that oozes that much beauty on a daily basis. I'd have problems studying!!! LOL!!!

Ripley, MS

Love all the pictures, Jeri, I was thinking the opposite, people are probably so used to seeing the beautiful gardens there they probably pay little attention to them !

Charlotte, I figure as busy as Christi is she doesn't garden, does she do anything in her yard? It amazes me how things are so different in different parts of the country, even to different types of plants, the weather, the size of the plants--wonder how old those wisteria "trees" are ?

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

You are probably right Sandra. I would appreciate the beauty, everyday and thank God for it but I can see other people may loose sight of it.

I have seen some really old wisteria and they weren't 1/2 the size of that one. I'd say really old!!!

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Sandra you are exactly right! That's just what they see every day. No big deal. No Kristi doesn't do any gardening. Their house had a lot of gorgeous roses when they move there. A lot are still there but they gave to make it on there own. I love to just walk around the neighborhood and look at all the plants .

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Jeff said the campus was a mission to begin with. He said it probably dates back to the 1700's. The college itself has been there a very long time. All the building are built in the same style and color as the chapel and all have the dark orange/red tile roofs.

Charlotte, I love that lace-cap hydrangea. What is it, do you know? The campus is beautiful!

Ripley, MS

I would walk around in awe of everything, you know, Jeri, like I did in your garden !!!

I just finished putting out 2 pick up loads of pine needles a friend of mine brought me. She told me the other day, she would get her kids to load me some up. I told her I would pay the kids, she objected, but I insisted, well worth the money to me with my back !

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Elaine the name of the hydrangea is Edgy Orbits. Here's a link that tells about. Just for the information - don't know anything about the nursery. naturehills.com/hydrangea-edgytm-orbits
I don't remember for sure where I got it but I think it would have either been Garden Oy Vey or Homestead. It's one of my favorites. My soil is very acidic so it has a lot more blue than what is shown in the link. Mine has a combination of blue and pink and the blooms just have a lot of depth.

Sandra yeah for the pine needles! My favorite mulch!

Hooray for pine needles! My favorite!

Thanks, Charlotte. As if I needed another one, lol! It sure is pretty. My lacecap hasn't started blooming yet and may not, according to the 'experts'. But I haven't checked it since we got home.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Elaine this lace cap has been a really good bloomer. I have two climbing hydrangeas that I hope to see blooms on one of these days. It's supposed to take a while before they bloom but one is now 25 or 30 feet up a tree but no blooms! The other one I've just had a couple of years but it's a good way up another tree. Guess we just have to be patient. The leaves are pretty any way and they are two different varieties so maybe at least one of them will bloom one day!

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I wish you would look at this mess!!! Some dumb bird keeps tearing off pieces of my rabbit foot fern and then adding pine needles in an attempt to build a nest ! They are trying to put it in the aw I g above and it falls right out and leaves this mess on the porch right where you walk out the back door. It has been going on several days now.

Sandra here is my terrible weed!

Thumbnail by cperdue Thumbnail by cperdue
Ripley, MS

Charlotte, I am not sure what the weed is, but as thick as most of your stuff is, how are you able to spray and not get the plants too ??? Have you posted it on the ID forum? They can probably tell what it is

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I'm not going to spray the weed in my flower beds because like you say it is way too thick and I couldn't afford to buy as much as I would need to spray it all!! LOL I'm going to pull as much as I can out of the beds and then put some paper and mulch on the top and hope for the best! I may put some Preen over that. I got something by email recently that said to put preen over mulch now. It's an airborne weed spread by tiny tiny seeds. For that reason I'm going to put round up on the ones growing in the cracks in the stone, etc. It started out with just a few of them a couple of years ago and every year they get worse! So I've got to do something to break the cycle. They are extremely easy to pull up. They barely have any roots and they are all surface roots. But they germinate it seems before your eyes!

Charlotte, that is the same weed I have in one of my beds and I can't figure out what it is either. I have looked at photos and websites and still don't know. It fortunately is only in one bed. I figured out like you did that it comes from some airborne source. I never see it elsewhere. Thankfully it is easy to pull up.

Ripley, MS

Some of those nasty weeds come along in pots from nurseries and greenhouses ! I will put it on the ID thread and see if anyone knows what it is

These are all new for me this year and most are FFO
Jamaican Music
West Coast Blues
Lorikeet Springs
City of Angels

Thumbnail by slcdms Thumbnail by slcdms Thumbnail by slcdms Thumbnail by slcdms
Ripley, MS

Just some bed shots, see the tall lavender spider, that is Lavender Handlebars that Phyllis sent me last fall

Thumbnail by slcdms Thumbnail by slcdms Thumbnail by slcdms Thumbnail by slcdms Thumbnail by slcdms
Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Sandra your beds look really good!

Elaine that's how mine started. I just had a little in my front bed and now I also have it in the back. It has little tiny seed pods and when they burst open the tiny little seeds just go everywhere.

Jeri it looks similar but it's not the same thing. I'll also ask the lady I know that mentioned it on her FB page what it is. She knows the name for everything!

Ripley, MS

I used to be that lady, now I do good to remember my name some days-lol !
The roadside bed looks better now, I got the load of pine needles on it, now if it would just come a little shower and settle it down.
The daylily is sitting on a Rainbow, it has been blooming for a few days now and I thought this is the prettiest it has been.

Thumbnail by slcdms Thumbnail by slcdms
Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

It's mulberry weed. Here is a link to information on it. The lady I'm talking about is a former home economics teacher and MG.

http://www.uaex.edu/yard-garden/resource-library/plant-week/mulberryweed.aspx

Ripley, MS

That does look like a bad weed, I don't think I have any yet, but probably will as it seems to be traveling very fast here in the US now

Wow, I had totally missed the little seeds! I try to pull mine when they are very small but I had no idea they put out seeds with only 3 leaves! I no doubt have missed the opportunity to get rid of some prior to them spreading seeds and I know I have missed some and find them when they are 3-4 inches tall! I have no idea where they came from but they just came up in this bed 6-7 years ago and nowhere else. I've tried to keep them contained and so far so good. The mulch and Preen seem to have helped. I haven't had as many this year with a fresh layer of pine straw. Going out and weeding tomorrow. Probably will put down a fresh layer of preen in this bed too.

Great looking DLs, Sandra!

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I have never used Preen before but I think I'm going to buy some just for this weed. This is the only weed I have that just runs rampant. If I didn't have to deal with this one weeding my beds would be a piece of cake. I get some wild strawberry at the beginning of spring and several vines that I don't think I'll ever get rid of but other than that I don't get a lot of weeds until the Mulberry weed came along! I like the looks of Creeping Jenny but I actually have to treat it like a weed. I have to pull tons of it out of my beds every year. I didn't intentionally plant it and don't think I would again except to use in contained areas. Originally it came in a pot of assorted things and a piece fell off into the flower bed. I have a trumpet vine that started coming up around my azaleas in one area of of my front bed. I have it growing on the workshop in the back but have never had it in the front. Some of it keeps coming up right at the edge of the sidewalk. I'm tired of pulling it up and want to color it gone!!! So I'm putting Roundup on it. It's not where any day lilies are. Just azaleas around it. I pulled some of the vine on to the sidewalk and dripped some on the leaves. I will probably have to use a foam paintbrush on some of it.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Whew..... I got way behind and have been catching up! Such gorgeous blooms everyone!! I would love to have a pond too - but I am worried about it attracting snakes! Everyone I know around here that has swimming pools has snakes in them....... I really do not want any snakes! I love frogs, especially tree frogs, so that wouldn't be a problem.....

Charlotte, I had to come close to tripling the mixture in my RU in order to touch my trumpet vine that was trying to take over my fence! I sprayed it one year with a normal mixture - didn't phase it. Sprayed it later that year with double strenght and it seemed to stunt it for a few weeks but never killed it. Last year I was determined and I mixed it triple strength and sprayed it. FINALLY got it. I will admit that IF I had known the trick about using the foam brush, I probably could have coated the leaves really well by hand with it at double strength and gotten it - but I had so much of it that it would have taken a long time!

I need to go out in the woods and rake up some pine straw..... but there again, I am a little concerned with what I might find in it.

Here are a few of my blooms....
Midas Magic - first bloom I have had of this one. Planted it last year but it didn't bloom
Persian Ruby Clump - this one is one of my favorites - the picture doesn't do it justice.
Orange Crush - first bloom of this one for me
Startle
Hold your Horses - Look Sandra, I have had this one on my want list so long I forgot it is one of the ones that I ordered last fall and just got in back in May. It is still in the pot, but it is blooming up a storm!

Thumbnail by gen2026 Thumbnail by gen2026 Thumbnail by gen2026 Thumbnail by gen2026 Thumbnail by gen2026

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.