It is June let's see the daylilies and everything else !

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Several different ones opening up

Thumbnail by Riverland Thumbnail by Riverland Thumbnail by Riverland Thumbnail by Riverland Thumbnail by Riverland
(karen) Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

My daylilies are just starting but here are the first two bloomers

Mary Reed
Two Part Harmony

Thumbnail by kjuddy Thumbnail by kjuddy
Ripley, MS

Glad to see my two part harmony isn't the only one that doesn't double all time, I though mine probably didn't get enough sun. Usually it will be single until the last few blooms then it will double. I love the bloom either way.
Got to get busy for the big birthday bash tonight, having a barbeque for the big #2 birthday boy

Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

I am going to be so busy re-mapping and re-tagging all my DL's!! I have made so many mistakes this year naming mine! The guys who moved and divided some of mine I still have no clue on some of them (haven't bloomed yet), and I already realize some of my mistakes now that they are blooming. They trampled on a lot of the tags, ripped them out of the ground somehow, even in the beds they didn't work in, and I didn't have all those beds properly mapped. Oh well, I'll get it done eventually.

Yesterday we had several rains and a huge storm late in the day. I got home just before the storm came and managed to make a few pics but the rain had already made some of the DLs kinda ugly. I'll post some of the pics tonight or tomorrow. I missed a few in the last day or so, but there will be other opportunities I'm sure. Sandra a lot of the ones you gave me are just now beginning to bloom. Irish Linen is one I know for sure. Genna, one of the ones I mis-ID'd I think is one from you, Crimson Flood.

Hope y'all have a big bash for Eli, Sandra!

Cindy and Karen - those are really pretty pictures! We love seeing all the DLs but I guess you know that!

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Happy Birthday to Eli! I know the big birthday bash will be enjoyed by all who attend--especially Eli! LOL

I love all the beautiful daylily photos. Thanks for sharing them, ladies!

Genna, I have plenty of peonies that I can share with you. They are white with a pink edge to them. Very pretty and fragrant! I could just stick my nose into one of them and leave it there. LOL I will have to do some research to see what is the best method but I'm thinking I can just dig up a couple of them and put them in a pot. :D I hope it is that easy!

Elaine, I did some research online for a dwarf nandina. The info I was reading said that the Moon Bay could get up to 3 ft. tall and I don't want one that gets that big. I found one called Harbor Belle that only gets one foot to 18 inches high which is what I want. My problem is finding 12 of them in one place. None of the places around here have the dwarf variety and they only have 2 or 3 of the other varieties. I didn't come across the variety named "Flirt" but I will look for it online and see what I can find.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I loaded up the truck with stuff to take to the storage unit and just as I pulled out of the driveway the sky fell! Lots of wind and pouring rain. I got about a 1/4 of a mile away and small trees limbs were down everywhere. The trees were just swirling. I decided I need to go back home until it cleared up. I circled around on another street home and a big limb had fallen in the middle of the street. Looks a lot better out not but the flowers sure took a beating. Strange, strange weather!

My next door neighbor started a 2 day garage sale this morning. She didn't pick a very good weekend. She is a crafter and decided to clear out TONS of her crafting stuff. Of course I'm a sucker for that kind of stuff too. I've looked at those punches that make dfferent shapes but felt I couldn't justify the cost. She had tons of them for sell for 1.00 and 2.00. I only wanted a few shapes - a big circle and a couple of flowers. Now I have them for whatever project I think I need them for. I got a whole plastic bin of glue guns, glue pot (never seen one of those before), glue sticks, mini paper cutter -Fabric cutter wheel.....on and on. Tons of stuff for 20.00 She even had the power punch and templates to put the punches in. Doesn't take much to entertain me! Most of the stuff I got was actually brand new. Still in the original packing with price tags still attached.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Wow, Charlotte, what a find in the crafting supplies! Also, from what I have seen on FB, you guys down there in central AR have had a toad-strangler of a rain this afternoon! We have had rain today but nothing like what you all have had.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Marilyn we did have a toad-strangler! But what scared me was the wind. There was lots of wind with the rain and the wind was a funny pattern. The wind was why I decided to go back home when I started out the first time. I didn't feel I needed to be driving around in it and I felt I needed to get Richard to go downstairs. There just was any warning. It started slightly raining then the wind just picked up and went crazy! There are limbs down all over the place. The big fig tree leaves in the back yard are still all messed up and all swirled around. Didn't take long to blow over thank goodness. Lots of power is out. Thankfully we didn't lose ours.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

So glad that storm has blown over, Charlotte, and that no major damage was done at your place. I'm glad you didn't lose your power. The sun is shining here right now and it is actually very pleasant outside. We just might have to go out and sit in our new rocking chairs on the front porch. :D

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Just discovered the post I made didn't post! I've done that more than once. Probably just hit enter and not send!
It was really strange here this afternoon. A light rain started and then the bottom just fell out along with really high wind in a strange pattern. The leaves on my fig tree are still all twisted and misshapened. Lots of dead limbs came down and lots of small limbs. I am just discovering that there was some damage downtown. A roof was blown off a warehouse type building and windows were blown out in a business right in the downtown area. Looks like an old car dealership or something like that. I have a pot of begonias on the deck on a table. It blew the pot off the table and it's a really big pot. The table is under the pergola which has a plexiglass cover on it and azaleas back up to it. So it was not in an open spot where you would expect wind to be able to knock something down. Very protected area! Strange. Let's see if I can hit send this time!

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Thank God Yall are safe!!! I saw a video that Loretta posted on FB and it was scary!!!!

Everyone's pictures look great!!! My favorite are the curly edged ones.

Well who put Mary down for coming home at 2 months? We have a winner!!! Her niece threw her out without notice Wed. after her 1st chemo session. I think the girl must be mental from the things that Mary has said. Mary is gonna say with her BIL until I can help her get an apartment.

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Jeri so sorry to hear of Mary's problems.

Charlotte I heard about all that wind that area had. My Sil Mary in TN was without power for 24 hrs lots of damage around her.

Almost all my names are gone on my day lilies after the flood and moving them. I just enjoy them now.
Marilyn I do have one called LaddyBoy. The sun was on it yesterday so not a good photo.
It is the middle one

This message was edited Jun 7, 2014 4:00 AM

Thumbnail by Riverland Thumbnail by Riverland Thumbnail by Riverland Thumbnail by Riverland Thumbnail by Riverland
Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Had to add these. My vitex is in full bloom and my first calla opened . I don't have many of them anymore.

(karen) Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Charlotte I came by and got the pot of monarda - THANKS!! I came right after that storm blew thru. I was eating lunch at US Pizza on RParham with my sister, then swung by and picked up the pot. Your neighborhood was full of tree limbs and pieces of leaves. Crazy how quickly that blew up and how quick it was over.

Beautiful daylily photos ladies!

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Karen I noticed they were gone when I went out to pick up some of the leaves and limbs. Yes it was very crazy! No sign of any really bad weather when I left my house and then less than 5 minutes later wind was whipping everything around!

I have a lot more daylilies blooming today but don't have time to post now. My hydrangeas in the back are really looking pretty now too.

Jeri sorry to hear about Mary! Hope you can get her situated soon and her doctors can get things coordinated.

Ripley, MS

Jeri, I think I said 6 weeks, but that is just mean to kick her out like that, right after a treatment !
Where is she now ?

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Brennan(her god child) flew up and she already had the car loaded when she picked him up at the airport and they headed out. They should be in by now. I was thinking they would make it by 5:00 PM. Mary already talked to the Dr's assistant here and she is back in with Dr. Fort she just has to get everything transferred back here next week. She wants to wait on getting the apt. so she can recover from all this extra expense. Dee took her food stamp card away from her before she left.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

So they drove home. That's a long drive especially for someone that is not well!

It's started raining here again this afternoon. We're going to need a boat soon.

My son sent me an email telling me Jake in is Vienna, Austria this weekend. For some reason he has Mon off so he decided to spend the weekend in Vienna. It's a 6 hour train ride. I'm sure he will have a great weekend. He's not coming back until Mon pm. All by himself traipsing around Europe. Glad he taking advantage of being young and free and not being afraid to take off by himself.

Ripley, MS

She should call and tell them her food stamp card was stolen, that makes me mad !

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Mary thinks they were gonna have her committed. They wanted her power of attorney. I laughed and told her we both probably needed to be committed.

I'm beyond mad!!!

That's really low how Mary has been treated. So sorry, Jeri, but I know you will rest easier knowing she is back where you can keep her safe and help her.

My rain gauge was max'd out at 5 inches when I went to empty it today. That is in about 3 days of heavy rains off and on and it's supposed to rain more tonite. There were trees down in several west Alabama communities and a semi flipped on it's side just outside Huntsville the other afternoon. I know we were worried when the trees started swaying Thursday evening. Scary stuff.

We went out to eat tonite for our anniversary. Great meal at one of the local restaurants. We're at the lake just relaxing. Worked on the weeds in a couple of beds this morning after I ran so got that done and moved a small hydrangea before it got too hot. I still need to dig some daffs but that will be next. I had to go into town for some fertilizer for my blooming plants and buy a card and groceries. Where does Saturday go?

Oh good grief, Jeri! They are probably using those food stamps. Our posts just hit at the same time. Makes you want to just wring their necks, doesn't it?

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Jeri that's absurd!! Glad Mary was able to get out of that mess! Yes I bet they are using the food stamps!

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

For some reason I can't go to sleep tonight so I thought I would play with my garden pictures. Here are some daylilies that were blooming yesterday. These have tags somewhere but it too hard to dig for them. Can't tell for sure which one from the little previews but one of them has a fern growing under it. I didn't plant the fern it's a volunteer. I think it's the first picture. I was wrong it is the last picture.

This message was edited Jun 8, 2014 12:50 AM

Thumbnail by cperdue Thumbnail by cperdue Thumbnail by cperdue Thumbnail by cperdue Thumbnail by cperdue
Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I can't remember the name with out checking but the first picture is a mountain hydrangea. The clusters are not as large as the old fashioned mopheads. My gardenias are blooming. I'm really going to need to prune this bush back when it get through growing. I prune it every year but can't ever seem to get it cut back enough. The 3rd picture is more mountain hydrangeas. The fourth is a drop dead gorgeous red day lily. It has an unusually large flower. I think it may have come from Cindy. The last is just a bunch of mop head hydrangeas. They haven't fully gotten their color yet. To the right of them are several oak leaf hydrangeas. It was too wet to get back in there. I'm going to move them somewhere. I haven't decided exactly where yet but they are hidden. I also have another variety of hydrangea planted to the right. My plan is eventually take out some of the mop heads and replace them with newer varieties. I like the mop heads but I just have too many of them. This is just one section. I have mopheads by the side of the workshops, in a different spot in the back beds and a really huge one by the side of the garage.

Thumbnail by cperdue Thumbnail by cperdue Thumbnail by cperdue Thumbnail by cperdue Thumbnail by cperdue
Ripley, MS

Sorry you couldn't sleep but the photos are beautiful, I haven't mad many pictures this year, I have really got to slow down some and enjoy the flowers. I slept with Eli 2 nights and he is not a good bedfellow, so I use the word sleep lightly

Jeri, have you already rented out Mary's house? I'll bet she wishes she had just stayed put, bless her heart, all this and the cancer back too. It is sad that they only wanted her there for her benefits.

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

I wouldn't treat an animal like they treated Mary. She's lost over 20 pounds. No it wasn't a rent house it is my guest house. But nothing here has changed. My place is for sale. In talking with Mary now they encouraged her to come to Pa. but she was seriously upset about the change. She told me I was right and that made me cry. I had no idea it would be as bad as it was. She just had everything in place here. I was impressed how fast they processed everything up there. Here it makes you want to pull your own teeth out it's so painfully slow. I guess all the politicians stole the money.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

So sad that they would take advantage of her like that!! There are some bad people in the world! Sorry she had to be the victim. I know it really hurt her!

The crazy weather continues. We've had really heavy rain every day for several days now. We had a tornado warning just a few minutes ago. I think it's passed now. But it's not going to take much to uproot trees the ground is so wet. We drove around the neighborhood after we ate dinner and saw several trees that have already come down. They are breaking off right at the ground.

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

I really have a hard time even comprehending that one human could treat another like they have treated Mary. I'm like you Jeri I would not treat an animal like that. Know that I am willing to help in any way it can .
How long has your place been up for sale? I knew you were talking about selling.

Charlotte love the blooms especially the daylily in the middle. I love the neon colored throats . I love the hydrangea but just can't grow them well. I always say I am a poor excuse for a southern gardener because I can't grow a mop head hydrangea. I have several of the newe varieties but they have struggled under my care.

Happy anniversary Elaine.

Asking for You prayers Jimbo is having some heart problems again . Will know more when we see the dr . Hopefully that will be tomorrow.
My white crinum is blooming but my dark pink is later

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I just happen to have the perfect conditions for hydrangeas and azaleas and don't really do anything but plant them. The mop heads self root and most of my neighbors have hydrangeas that came from my yard. I am serious when I say I don't remove anything that falls in my backyard and what falls in the front goes into the compost pile. If it falls on the stone, I rake it up and put it in the compost pile. Everytime I mow the grass in the front the clippings go in the compost pile. I've even been known to steal my neighbors clippings! I have a guy coming to clean gutters this week and to also get all the pine needles off the top of the plexiglass on top of the pergola. I told him I'm a crazy lady that keeps all her pine needles. I told him I knew it would be a mess but that I didn't want him to bag the pine needles but to just push them off into my azalea bed behind it. He was kind of quiet for a minute then said he did have one other customer that wanted to keep hers too and she also put hers on her azaleas.

Cindy praying for Jimbo!!

Cindy, praying for Jimbo too. Hope everything turns out ok with him. I love that neon eye! Might have to look for some of those! As if I needed more DLs! I didn't even get around to posting all the pics I took this weekend. We took it easy yesterday. Spent the night at the lake Sat night after we went to eat and just took it easy reading and such. Had a few chores to do down there yesterday so we did those and enjoyed our day. It rained hard Saturday night and was cloudy most of yesterday and rained again really hard this morning. I'm surprised my veggies don't have fungal diseases.

Mary, it still just makes me furious how Mary was treated. They had an agenda, obviously, in getting her to PA. Didn't care one whit about Mary, just what they could milk out of her by eventually getting power of attorney.

I think the trick to hydrangeas is getting them established the first year. They are heavy 'drinkers' the first year and if your soil and conditions aren't just right and you don't pay attention to them, they suffer. Just keeping them watered, mulched and happy for that first year and then they seem to do ok. I have pretty good luck with them too, especially the natives, but 'Annabelle' and 'Endless Summer' do well for me too. I have a 'Lady in Red' that didn't do anything for a number of years until we took down 2 sweet gums that were nearby. Last year it took off and was gorgeous. I have heard that due to the harsh weather last winter, the 'big leaf' hydrangeas may not bloom as well this year.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

A lot of the big leaf hydrangeas got damaged by the cold this year. Of course they bloom on old wood so it will take a year for them to recover. I had some limbs I had to cut out of the ones in the back but I still have a lot of blooms on them. I'm not going to have any blooms on my variegated lace cap big leaf ones. They got too much damage. They don't grow as fast as the others do anyway. I have a couple of lady in red's and they don't do much for me. I will only get a few blooms from them this year. They did get quite a bit of damage this winter. Love my pee gee. I have 2 tree form ones and 2 or 3 of the low growing ones. They don't bloom until late but they bloom on new growth so the weather never damages them. The serratas bloom on new growth also - they do well for me. I had planted a couple of the endless summer varieties last year. I didn't lose them but it's going to take a little time for them to recover. I had planted a new variegated variety. The variegation is yellow rather than white. I can't remember if I planted it last year or the year before. I don't think I'll have any blooms on it this year.

Still raining here. This is getting old. Everything is going to be totally drowned! I haven't been to my garden in several days. I had lots of tomatoes that are soon going to be ripe. All this rain may ruin them. My squash has lots of blooms and some small squash. I noticed a couple of small ones that had rotted and fallen off the other day. They may all rot! I'm about to give up on growing squash. If the squash borer doesn't get them it seems the rain will!

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Jimbo is added to my prayer list!!! Please let us know something after your Dr. visit!!!

Happy Anniversary to you and Earl!!! How many years does this make?

Everyone's pictures are lovely and Yall are making me re-think D/L's. LOL!!!

I don't know what they think she had???? If they had her committed somewhere that would take her money plus some so that just doesn't make sense to me. What good is a power of attorney when you have nothing? I want to get her an apartment but again she has nothing but a few clothes and some pictures. Everything in the guest house was mine.

I put the FSBO sign up in January but all of Central is for sale right now. All my cousins have their places listed with realtors so I'm just miking their overflow. I told Mary that it could be years before it sold but it freaked her out. She has to know that I would NEVER have put her out on the street. That is where I rescued her from.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Jeri I certainly understand why you want to go ahead and get Mary situated in an apartment. Like you said it may take years for your house to sell but again you never know and a buyer could come along tomorrow. I'm sure it will take a little time to get all the paper work done for an apartment and to get her situated. If you wait until the house actually sells you will have that to deal with along with everything else. Best to get her settled and located. You were talking about finding her some thing close by so she can still spend lots of time with you and it will still be easy for you to check on her.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Jeri, I am so sorry to hear about Mary! I know that was a rough drive back just after a treatment, but I am thankful she is back where I know she will be taken care of............ you might need to do some checking because probably not only are they using her food stamp card now, if it is sent thru the mail they will probably continue to use it for as long as it comes without Mary having to go back in for renewal. Somehow that needs to be stopped - they surely don't deserve anything after treating her like that! They probably just assumed Mary had some money, or maybe they thought if they got power of attorney they could get what little she has coming in. You never know about people these days............... sounds like they were scum to me! :(

Cindy, I am praying for Jimbo. Hope ya'll are able to get into the doctor quickly and find out exactly what is going on and get it resolved.

Elaine, happy belated anniverary........... Leigh and I had ours on Thursday, June 5. 32 years...... that is a LONG time to live with a man! LOL We didn't really do anything special except we went to eat at a local restaurant that we have never been to before. A lady here in town purchased and redid our old historic post office down town and created the "Postmaster' s Grill"..... it is a very upscale restaurant for Camden. The main entrees run between $23 - 35 each....quite pricey for our little town with no economy. It has been open probably a year and a half. We just went downstairs to the bar section because the kids thought the menu was different down there. But, those were the prices off of that menu. We just ate sandwiches, but they were very good. I had a shrimp po boy and Kyle had an awesome shaved steak sandwich. Jessi had a burger but it had special trimmings on it. Leigh didn't have a sandwich but had some type of breaded chicken which he said was very good. It was just something different for us to do on our anniversary and so we could say we have been there! ^_^

Jessica worked for my sister for two days pulling out and cleaning out for a huge estate sale that she had this weekend. My BIL's aunt in her 90s and she has always had a lot of money and no kids so she bought and bought and bought "stuff"....... lots of items were pulled out that had NEVER been used! Hundreds of things .............. They worked trying to get everything priced for 2 days, then Jessi and I went back over there after we went out to eat on Thursday evening and kept working until almost 11. Then I was back over there very early the next morning to help her work the sale. Our last customer didn't leave until after 6 pm so it was a very LONG day! We didn't have any rain, although it would cloud up occasionally and look like it was about to rain, but it so extremely muggy !! It was almost unbearable and the temp was HOT! I worked again over there until after noon on Saturday but she had some other help on Sat. and I had some things I needed to do at home. I had been trying to finish a dress for a friend's daughter who turned 1 yesterday. I finally finished it yesterday morning - and we went to the party yesterday afternoon! It has been a whirlwind weekend and I don't think I even sat down except when eating or driving. I was exhausted last night..............not a good way to start off the week.

Got some good news this morning. Looks like this plant is going to stay open and available....
"the situation will be re-evaluated last in 2015" but the rumor is that they may still reduce staff....so we aren't sure. The info that we do have came from a newletter that is sent out by newsletter every month about the board meeting.............the big bosses haven't told us ANYTHING! :(

I love all the photos! Cindy your flowers are gorgeous as usual! Charlotte, love those hydrangeas. I love mopheads too but they struggle for me too. Mine seem to be doing better as far as growth the past couple of years but they still have not bloomed.

Better get back at it....................hope everyone has a great day!
Genna

Ripley, MS

So if I am understanding this right, Mary still doesn't want to move back in the guest house because your place is still for sale ? So she is just bunking with you until you can get her an apartment ? Maybe you can get her an apartment that has low rent. It would be nice if we could all know the future---or it would scare us to death, but Mary should have known you would have included her in the move, when it does happen.

Cindy, please let us know about Jimbo. Has he lost any weight from his tummy since I saw him? That is why Amanda and Ben started losing weight, Bens heart doctor told him very plainly he was about to have a huge heart attack if he didn't change some things, his blood pressure was out of control, his cholesterol was horrible and he was close to 300 mostly carried in his tummy. You know you have my prayers.

Charlotte, your daylily reminds me of this one, of course it may be something else there are so many beautiful ones. Mine are really starting to open today and it rained all morning on them!
http://www.daylilies.org/DaylilyDB/detail.php?id=7457&name=Navajo%20Princess

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Sandra I do have Navajo Princess so I'm sure that is it . I tagged them all but the tags but most of the tags are up in the plant now.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Haven't thought about the low rent option Sandra............. Jeri, shouldn't she qualify for that? Maybe even assisted living? We have a lower rent assisted living facility here that has apartments..... they have 1 BR apartments, LR/Dining and a small galley style kitchen. They are very nice, but they also have a common dining area where meals are prepared for them twice a day I believe. If I remember correctly, the residents are always on their own for supper and oddly enough, the kitchen closes for a full week at Christmas so the residents have to fend for themselves. I used to have a couple of dear friends from church that I would visit there occasionally. They have passed away so I haven't been in there in a while. Maybe Mary could be in something like that................ at least then people would be about and she would be able to visit with others, and get help quickly if she needed it.

Marilyn, meant to say earlier that I would love to have a start of your peony! I believe they are to be divided and moved in the fall - but I am not certain of that. Jessica will be thrilled. I am going to try to order her one or two off line.....that will probably be it until we see how they do.

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Sandra no he has probably gained 50 lbs since you saw him last. He is over 300 I don 't know how much because I don't go to the doctor with him. I had started him on a diet last Mon. Thurs night we were cutting limbs and afterward he had a heart attack but refused to go to the er just ministered the nitro and the aspirin himself . It lasted several hours. I am just praying it will be stints and not open heart. He is a stubborn man. It was just like his last heart attack. No telling how much damage was done refusing to go to the er. He will see the dr tomorrow 8:30. Please just keep praying.

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Charlotte I don't know when I will see you next but save me some of those self rooted mopheads please.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.