Forced Bulbs 4 Holidays.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Are there DG members forcing bulbs such hyacynch, crocuses, paperwhites ect. for the Holidays? If so please join in. Everyone is welcome.

Here is what I've thus far. Paperwhites bulbs on rocks and water only; soiless container growing/forcing methods. I've started out with 8 bulbs; devided into two batches, then stagger them out for successive blooms. First batch was initiated last week, by goly! One of the bulbs is taking off and I could see a little bud is being formed. So I initiated the second batch today. These are fun projects to do. You can see the root system being formed in matter of days. Then the green leafy growth, and in no time; flowers!

Let's see yours. If you haven't explored growing/forcing bulbs before, and you're curious and interested. Your questions are welcome.

1. For bright light; I placed the bowls in my kitchen window with supplemental light. I learned in the past. If I didn't give these enough lighting, they tend to be leggy and the flower stalks will be weak, and flop over easily. So give your bulbs as much light as you can. ^^_^^

2. Same setting without light just to see the contrast.

Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love
Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi, I did forced Paperwhites last year and had a lot of success. Some of our nurseries now have their bulbs going on sale, so I'm going to do maybe some Paperwhites and Hyacinths this year.

Did you chill your bulbs before putting them in the light? I did last year, and pulled the containers out so that I had staggered blooms over several weeks.

I'm glad your bulbs are doing well this year. Annette

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Hi Annette,

For those that I'll plant in the garden such as Tulips and others, I bought them early in the season to get the cream of the crop type of bulbs. I chill them because our zone 7b and warmer needed that cool treatment. Paperwhites and Amaryllis bulbs are pre-chilled so I was told. I usually plant my outdoor bulbs around Thanksgiving. Have you planted yours? I loved seeing your garden as you've shared. Have you got your 1st frost yet? Locally we've. Though, our microclimate afford us few more weeks of gardening here.

Ah, there is another method to forcing; yours planted in containers with soil and the works. Mine is on pebble rocks and water. Both methods work just as well.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Hey Kim, we've had several frosts already. All the epies and tropical plants got taken inside the week that hurricane Sandy went by GA.

I just got my tulips from Colorblends this week, they haven't been planted in the ground yet. I did plant some muscari in the ground last week that I got from Lowes. I'm only doing 200 tulips outside this year, I'm still recovering from my spinal fusion in August, and can't spend a lot of time bending over. I'm probably going to put the tulips in next week, just like you are. Based on how early we've gotten cold, I suspect they'll do well this winter without the prechill. I did take over the basement fridge last year and prechill all the bulbs.. I was so late in ordering this year, I don't have time to do it. This is the least amount of bulbs I've planted in the last 4 falls, I feel at a loss like I'm missing out on something by not planting a few thousand bulbs, LOL.

I've done the Paperwhites both ways. I got a few jars on sale from HD, that were meant for the Amayrillis, and used those for the forced Paperwhites, which were done on stone last year. I tried the Amaryllis on stones , they didn't do very well, so I'm going to plant those in dirt this year. I used the dirt method the year before for Paperwhites, crocuses, hyacinths, tulips, Amaryllis, and daffodils, and made several containers that I gave to friends for Christmas as the gift that keeps on giving ;~). I still have some of those containers with the bulbs still in them. They were dormant until recently, and are now growing again for the 3rd winter in a row. The Paperwhites in those containers didn't rebloom last winter, however. I'll need to give the containers a dose of Bulb Food, to see if I get any more blooms. Annette

This message was edited Nov 15, 2012 12:12 AM

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

We too have gotten some frost in neighboring area. But being close to the water, we haven't yet. Wishing you a speedy recovery so you can return to your gardening projects. It's so nice to give the gift that keeps on giving....

I too have tried to down size with my gardening , but finding it's difficult to do so...

Oh talking about epi. I've one late bloom that's about to open up. They too, among other tender perennials are indoor as well. Woke up this morning with temp. of 44F. degrees outside. Brrrrrr.

Most of my forced bulbs will eventually get to be planted outdoor. It's a hit- and miss kinda thing; sometimes they rebloom, other time they won't. But when they do, it's a nice surprise. Like this paperwhite that's now blooming out in the garden.

1. Paperwhite from previous year outdoor.
2. epi. late blooming bud about to open any day now.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

I'm glad you've gotten your Paperwhites to rebloom after being planted in the ground. I'll have to try transplanting mine outside next spring once they're done blooming.

Please post the epi bloom when it's open, it's nice to get surprise blooms at this time of year. My epies haven't bloomed yet, I have high hopes for next year. The Schlums are budding up however, so maybe I'll have some open blooms for the holidays.

Today, thanks to being inspired by your post, I picked up Paperwhite Ziva, and Hyacinth bulbs from Lowes, that I'm going to work on this weekend. I look forward to seeing them bloom.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

As of today, the Epi. hasn't opened up yet. I think it's E. hookerii and that it blooms in early morning, so I checked on it daily. Will keep you posted. Cuttings on those epis do take their sweet time before blooming. But the wait is worth it, I think.

Do share pics. of your forced bulbs. There are only two of us forcing bulbs? Ummmm.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Annette, I meant to ask you. How do you care for your epis? I keep mine out side in filtered shade during growing period. I just recently moved them indoor to protect from sudden frost, and they stay indoor until last frost pasts. I find that they bloom more readily when kept outdoor during the growing season.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

My epies are also put out after the last frost, until fall. They did get some afternoon sun, and I fed them with fish emulsion, and gave them a dose of 0-10-10 in the fall. They were brought in the week that Sandy went by, when we expected our first frost, and put in my basement near a window. I'll water them sparingly once per month, to maintain leaf turgor, although I know some people don't water at all during the winter. It's amazing that I got my Rhipsalis Gaertneri to bloom in less than 2 years, twice this year, but these epies won't bloom. I also have a Hylocereus undatus that I grew from a cutting. It had a huge bud, and stupid me knocked it off with the hose while I was watering the other plants. I hope it puts out buds again next year, and it really tolerates full sun.

I hope we not the only two forcing bulbs this winter. It's such a wonderful way to get early bloom, and great natural scents for the house. I'm all about the fragrance. I'll post some pictures once I get them all set up.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Forcing bulbs for the Holidays brings such joy during the dormancy in the garden in our zone. And like you said they emit pleasant fragrant. Speaking of fragrant, I forgot to pick up some hycinths this season, they're almost sold out on most stores. I did picked up some crocuses to top off my Tulips this year. I'm looking forward to plant those outdoor bulbs. It's a bummer when we missed out on our flower.... hope your Hylocereus undatus will rebloom in the near future.

1) Paperwhite 'Ziva' first bud that's about to open

2) Epi. hookerii bud just turned upward, a sign that it nearing opening. Hah, I too have missed this bloom earlier in the season; only discovered it when it made a bright colorful fruit-- then to be stolen by some little critter in the garden! I was thankful that I was given the opportunity to witness the fruit though. It was a first time I've had the fruit. It was a delightful experience.

3) Other fragrant tender perennials that we get to enjoy when we move them indoor are brugs; this one is 'Eternity' brug I think.

Like you, my tender perennials are in the basement; DH has hung many florescent lights, two fans to help air circulation, a water wand and most everything are standing on plastic kiddy pool to prevent excess water pooling onto the floor. We also monitor humidity level to assure plants health. Indeed, I do gardening year round, if I may say.

Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love
Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

I'm glad your P. Ziva is about to bloom, and the rest of bulbs also look very healthy. I finally put my P. Ziva bulbs with the Hyacinths on the stones this evening, after spending most of the day in the front yard putting in yellow and red pansies, with Bloomsday tulips underneath, and pink snapdragons behind for height.

I did take some pictures of the basement today, but for some reason I couldn't get them downloaded off of my phone, I wanted to show the epies, brugs, and plumies that are hanging out down there for the winter. I also found that the schlums are really budding up, and I have one open bloom. You are so fortunate that your DH prepped the basement for your with the lights, fans, and watering wand. My DH griped the entire time he and my DS were taking the plants into the basement for me this year, but he didn't want them in the garage like they were last year.

Here are the pics of Ziva and the mixed Hyacinths. I did 2 containers with Ziva and Hyacinths together, Ziva in 2 containers alone, and then 5 bulbs of the mixed Hyacinths are planted in dirt alone, and 6 Hyacinths on stones alone, I found it interesting that the bulb colors are different in the last picture.

This message was edited Nov 18, 2012 9:44 AM

Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165
Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

I also potted up my one of my Amaryllis bulbs, that had been on stones and water since last winter, it didn't ever bloom, and was just lanky the entire time. When I pulled it out, I was quite surprised to see the extensive root system that it had developed. It's now potted in dirt, I'm going to give it some Bulb Food to see if it will bloom this year. The second picture is what I call casualties of war from the big basement take in right before the first frost. Some of the epie pieces are labelled, and as for the others, I'll not know what they are until they bloom.

Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165
Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Here are some of my brugie babies taken while they were still outside. In order, Angel's Honeymoon, Fleming Island Rachel, Michelle Obama, and Klein Lady. These are all planted in the ground, and the only one I dug out was FIR, cuttings have been taken from the others. It's unreal how much growth they put on in one season. All plants were in one gallon pots, that were planted out in April, with amazing growth over one season. I plan on mulching them really well, once the top growth gets killed off.

They're planted in the 2 beds I put in in spring of 2011, and are planted between daffodils, bearded irises, and Dutch irises, and peonies. Unbelievably despite all the frost, and with the daffodils and muscari coming out, they haven't died yet, and are still putting out blooms.

This message was edited Nov 18, 2012 9:45 AM

This message was edited Nov 18, 2012 9:46 AM

Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Wow Annette, I love the way you pot up those bulbs in clear glasses. They'll be a show stopper in bloom, no doubt. Bulbs that have been forced has spent lot of energy, I think they need to be pampered in the garden with plenty of nutrients supplement for couple of years in order to regain their vigor. Ah those epi cuttings will make a nice basket in the future. And the young brugies in the garden are one wonderful success! Well done!!!

I happened on one Amaryllis called 'Souvereign' from Publix I couldn't resist. The bulb has two flowers stalks that's about to open. And the Epi hokerii, this morning (2nd pix) was tightly held, but after a busy day, I returned to find it's about to burst loose. (3rd pix). I'd bet it will be fully open by the morning.

This message was edited Nov 18, 2012 7:42 PM

Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love
Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks Kim. I can't wait to see your hookerii bloom open, it'll give me the fix I need, and I'm glad you're able to see this bloom. I don't think that I have a cutting of that one, but I do have Oxypetalum which has grown tremendously this year. I hope to get blooms from it in the spring, it should be more than pot bound.

I don't think I've ever seen any Amaryllis at Publix here. Every year someone that I work with gives me one for Christmas. One year I planted it out in the garden under the Hawaiian tropical ginger, and it comes back every year. I did however get what appear to be a rat tail cactus from Publix earlier this year, which I'd also never seen there before. It's hanging off the side of the shelf with the epies.

Ok here are the epies in the basement, a few of my catci, and the big branch in the cactus picture is a part of the H. undatus,and the Schlumbergera

Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165
Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Here's Fleming Island Rachel hanging out in a bucket, waiting to be potted, with some on the Amaryllis on the ground, brug cuttings waiting to be potted, brug plants, plumerias that are growing from cuttings, and then the trees, that I also grew from cuttings. At the base off the trees, I have pots of Curcuma (turmeric) that are dying down. I bought my first 2 plants of the turmeric 2 years ago, and just love the blooms. I bought 2 more this spring. They're interesting plants that die down in the winter, and when it warms up, they start coming out of the very dry soil. I don't water them all winter.

Today, was again spent in the garden planting the last of the pansies and Bloomsday tulips. I also had some mixed Parrot tulips that I pulled up when the leaves started dying down, put them in the basement, and saved to replant this fall. I was disappointed to find that a lot of the bulbs had become dessicated. I know some folk have had succes with pulling and storing tulips, so I thought I would do it this year. I'm saddened that they dried out, they had gorgeous blooms this past spring. I won't do that anymore, and just reorder them next year. I did get some Flaming Parrot tulips this year, so I'll just have to spread those around.

Finally, I went to Lowes for Bulb Food today, and couldn't resist picking up more of the pastel mixed Hyacinths. I found a few more containers that I just had to fill, LOL.

Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Whoa! Annette, love all those asortment of your cactus and Schlumbergera collection, as well as those cactus. I'm not familiar with the H. undatus, will have to look it up. There are quite a few more of the oxy with colorful blooms that are on my wish list. lol. Did your plumies bloom this year? Mine are getting much taller, in which I'll have to do something, such as grafting them down to a manageable size which will be a challenge next spring. I thought about doing that this spring, but didn't acomplished that task. Tsk, tsk.! Curcumas are exotic looking plant, aren't they? I do enjoy those tropical plants. Your FIR brug, is that a double blooming variety? I've a double white that I'm rooting in water now, hopefully I'll get it to bloom for me eventually one of these days.

Okay, here goes with the Epi hookerii; I noticed that hookerii blooms in the morning for me, where as the oxypetalum blooms during night fall, and will be done by daylight, thus called "Night blooming ceurus". Another difference b/w the 2 is that the oxy has an enchanting fragrant (to attract pollinators I surmised), whereas hookerii doesn't have any scent to its beautiful bloom.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks, and the E. hookerii bloom is just gorgeous. It's worth all the effort growing these plants if you can get a bloom like that. I hope that next year is my lucky year.

The FIR is a pink double with a delicious scent. It's the blooms in the second picture in the post ending in 934. I'll have to find the pictures where there's a better view with the second skirt down. I'm trying to root a piece of it.

The plumies did great this year, they were fertilized with just about anything I could throw on them including 0-10-10, MG, Bayer 3:1, and fish emulsion. I also sprayed the leaves with Epsom salt and molasses that I used on the brugs, I don't know if that helped them, but it didn't cause any harm. It's been the best bloom year ever. The Bridal White pudica plumie bloomed this year from a cutting that was started last summer. It's still blooming in the basement, and putting out another inflorescence now.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I hope everyone have had a wonderful Thanksgiving. Annette wishing you luck with the Epi. on the coming year. Patience does pay off when we get blooms from those beauties. Congrats on your success with the plumerias, great job!

Here is the Amaryllis that blooms on Thanksgiving for me.

We finally got our 1st frost. I'm glad at least I've some blooming indoor at this time.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks Kim. I hope that you had a great Thanksgiving as well That is one gorgeous Amaryllis bloom. I fed my bulbs some Bulb Food a few days ago, and I hope that they start leafing out soon. Has your Ziva bloomed yet?

The forced bulbs are sitting outside on my deck, chilling for now. I'm going to start bringing them in gradually so that I can hopefully have some blooms for Christmas.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

May I just say what a delight it is to sit here in the cold north and see your beauties. I stop by every couple of days. Just delightful. It's like looking into a beautiful, exotic world.

I put my last daffodils in the ground a couple of weeks ago. I purchased some lilies that are a bit tender in this zone so they are nestled in the back of my garage.

I wasn't going to get amaryllis this year. I may have to rethink that!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Hi Donna, welcome to the thread. Annette, the Ziva is about to unfurl, it's in a matter of days. Will send pic. when it does.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Hey Kim and Donna, hope everyone had a great day. Kim I can't wait to see the Ziva, mine are so far behind. The hyacinth bulbs already have roots forming, which started only a few days after they were put on the stones, but no top growth yet. I left everything on my deck outside, and we had hard freeze the last 2 nights. The brugs, Hawaiian tropical gingers, and the Rex begonias all froze. I hope the bulbs are ok.

Donna, I also got some new lilies from the Van Engelen sale, but I won't be planting them until the spring. I guess they should be fine in the garage. I got a few Dutch irises, Iris Dardanus, I thought this one was interesting, and Narcissus Billy Graham.
Now I'll have to find the time the plant them, LOL.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Cem,

I too have lilies in pots in the garage. They are under a quilt, and I just give them an ounce or two of water every month. I find they prefer soil in pots to zip lock bags with peat moss, having done it both ways.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Hi everyone, my Ziva paperwhite began to bloom several days ago. But, only one stalk that did. The remainder of the bulbs are trying to catch up. That happened because one bulb rooted earlier than others. Next time, I think I'll force them in pot with soil to promote uniform blooms. I've a couple lilies I keep them in my makeshift greenhouse. Some will blooms for me early as if they were "forced". Here are the blooms today.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Some added Amarillys to help brighten up this corner of the 'picture window'.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Nice blooms Kim. I'll have to check on my bulbs tomorrow. I've been out of town, and have no idea how they're doing on the deck outside. I was too lazy to check tonight when we got home, LOL.

I've been slowly adding small amounts of water to the dormant Amaryllis bulbs in the basement, prior to leaving last week. I'll have to see if they've put on any growth as well.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Welcome home Annette. The weather down our way has been unseasonably warm this week while you were away. Those forced bulbs you left outside may have taken off.... Looking forward to seeing your photos. OT; have you ever tried growing this lovely vine? The 'Blue Sky vine' or Thunbergia grandiflora? In their native habitat these vines will bloom althrough the winter. Unfortunately, here they will be frost bitten and go dormant One can find them from big box stores in the Spring. They do great here in our climate. Pic. was taken over the weekend.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi Kim, I love your Thumbergeria vine. I looked at it in the past, but I've never bought one. Is it fragrant, and do you have to bring it in for the winter?

I finally got more pictures of the forced bulbs and Amaryllis, including a new one that I got for Christmas from one of my co-workers. The forced bulbs are doing well, and you were right, some of them have started growing, since we've had some warm weather lately here as well. The first picture is of the recently planted bulbs, the second is of bulbs that were planted 2 years ago, that have grown again, it will be interesting to see if they bloom, the third picture is of the Amaryllis in the basement with no new growht yet, , and the last is of the new Amaryllis bulb that I received a few weeks ago from someone at work. My DH brought it home, and didn't tell me. I found it in the garage on top of the fridge today, so I potted it up tonight. The anemic stems showing are actually buds that are growing out of the bulb before the leaves, I assume the stems will turn green now that they'll be getting some light.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Here goes Annette; http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1023509/?hl=thunbergia+grandiflora

Above is an old thread I made on the Vines where I shared experience with this vine and how to cultivate them in our climate. Enjoy. Those bulbs you've will take a little time to harden up and take off. Good lucks, thanks for sharing your pictures.
Kim

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

The growth from the bulb that I planted last night has already started turning green in less than 24 hours, and is turning up compared to when it was first planted yesterday. Isn't Mother Nature amazing?

Thanks for the info about the Thumbergeria vine, I glad to know that it will survive in 7b. Annette

This message was edited Dec 5, 2012 9:39 PM

Thumbnail by Cem9165
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

You're quite welcome Annette, the Thunbergia grandiflora vines were discovered hardy in my microclimate by chance. For the last 3 years. I did have to replace them because I neglected to mulch them real well one unusually prolonged cold preriod. Thanks goodness, my local nurseries do keep them in stock, just in case I need replacement.

Photos of the forced bulbs today. The huge flower bud next to the Amaryllis belongs to 'Queen Emma' crinum. Another tender perennials in my collection.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Here is 'Queen Emma' blooming in the garden (container culture) over the summer months in my garden. These bulbs are now overwintered indoor.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=9240963

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Your blooms are beautiful Kim. The Crinum is gorgeous. I have a pink Amarcrinum that stays in the garden year round. It doesn't seem to be phased by the winter weather here. I'll have to see if I can find a picuture of it blooming from this year.

I brought in one to the containers of Paperwhite Ziva yesterday, and it seemed to grow overnight and the bloom opened today. I guess it liked being warmed up. The newly planted Amaryllis bulb has also put on some good growth in 5 days.

Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165
Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Here are the pictures of my Amarcrinum. They've been planted in the garden for several years. These are the pictures from last year in June 2011, after a winter where we got 8 inches of snow. Apparently I did not take a picutre of them this year. They are lovely plants. Annette

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Annette, your garden is so very beautiful. Those Amarcrinum are very big are they Amaryllis x Crinum? The 2 flowers in the front (1st pic.) are they daylily? I collect 3 kinds of hardy crinums here. One is 'Milk and White' which is white with pink stripes, a light pink, and a darker pink blooms called 'Ellen Bosaquet' or something like that. This winter I also explored with some 'nake ladies' bulbs in large container. I planted them last week, will find out how they will do in our garden this spring.

The Amaryllis paperwhites being forced indoor. They never cease to amaze me at the speed in which they grow in warm temp. I have to have at least a few of them this time of year. Thank you for sharing pics. of your lovely garden.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks Kim. That is a daylily on front, and the bulbs behind are Amaryllis x Crinum, I don't know the name.

I'm loving Ziva, the one bloom stalk is putting out a lovely scent. I keep sticking my nose in it, and made my DH smell it this evening. Of course his comment was "it's just a flower", wow, just gotta love that comment.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

The 'Queen Emma' crinum (a tropical crinum) inflorescent today. I added some Ziva paperwhite to the bouquet. Will share photos of the said crinum when it fully open for the Holiday.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Nice blooms Kim, the arrangement is very festive.

My Amaryllis bulb that was planted on on December 4th is about to have it's first blooms. It's had some amazing growth in the past 11 days. The second picture is of some Hyacinth bulbs that I bought in this pot last year. When it was done blooming, I put it outside on my kitchen steps, and despite the fact that quite a bit of the soil has washed away, it's started sending out buds again. I brought it in the house today, and I plan on adding a bit more soil to the pot tomorrow. The small portion of the bud that has opened acutally has a nice scent. Annette

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

That Amaryllis has a very charming shade of pink, and a mild scent is much welcome. I some how missed out on the hyacynch this year. Glad to see yours Annette.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.