Forced Bulbs 4 Holidays.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks Kim. This Amaryllis bloom is taking it's own sweet time to open, and I really like the color, I've never grown this variety before.. It made more progress today, and so did the Hyacinth. I'm so glad that it's blooming this week, or I would have missed it. We're leaving this weekend for Florida, to spend time with my SIL for Christmas in Palm Coast, then on to Orlando for a soccer tournament with my son. I may have to take the plant in the car with me.

None of the other Amaryllis have made any progress. I guess they must have different bloom times. I usually find them growing and budding up in the basement when I'm not paying any attention to them.

Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165
Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Finally, more blooms have opened this week. The scent of the Hyacinth has gotten stronger, which I get to enjoy in the kitchen.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Such beauty! Perfect to bring in the Holidays! Great job Annette.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks Kim, I'm enjoying the blooms. Annette

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

We left for vacation just before Christmas, and with the weather turning cold, I had to bring in the forced bulbs that had been on the back deck. We came home home on Sunday to a bounty of blooms.

Narcissus Ziva has such a wonderful scent, and the Hyacinth was also a nice surprise as well.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Nicely done, and the timing quite nice Annette, here I've my very first white Amaryllis that's blooming now.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks Kim, and Happy New Year. Your white Amaryllis is just gorgeous. Annette

This message was edited Jan 13, 2013 10:51 PM

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

It's very pretty especially sitting next to 'mother of thousands' kalanchoe pinkish blooms. Annette, welcome home and happy New Year.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Sunbury, OH(Zone 5b)

Hi. My 3 year old amaryllis did not produce any leaves. It had one huge flower (see photo), but I am worried that it will die now. Does anyone know how I can get it to leaf out? The bulb is 3 inches in diameter, and the flower stem, although not pictured, grew 27 inches tall.

Thumbnail by feliks
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

filiks, here is a very well written article about the care for Amyrillis by one of our DG members. I tagged the article for myself as referrence. I hope that would answer some of your questions? http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/468/

Yours is beautiful. May I also add, it's not unusual for Amyrillis to bloom before the leaves will come out. In fact most of my forced amyrillis flowers will emerge first than the leaves will follow suit later.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Feliks, your blooms are beautiful!!!!

My Amaryllis also put out 3 bloomings stalks without leaves in December. The leaves finally started coming out in the past 2 weeks.

Sunbury, OH(Zone 5b)

My amaryllis produced 1 flower on a 2 foot stalk, but no leaves. How can I make it grow leaves so I'll have it next year?

Thumbnail by feliks
Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi feliks, here is my Amaryllis bulb on December 9, right before it started blooming without leaves, and here is is today. The leaves came out well after the plant bloomed. Be sure to water the bulb when the soil gets dry, and the leaves should come out eventually.

Sunbury, OH(Zone 5b)

Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you. I am so relieved!

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

You're welcome. I wish you the best with your beauty. Annette

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.