Bulbs: Forced Bulbs 4 Holidays., 1 by Lily_love

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Lily_love

Subject: Forced Bulbs 4 Holidays.

Forum: Bulbs

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Forced Bulbs 4 Holidays.
Lily_love wrote:
Are there DG members forcing bulbs such hyacynch, crocuses, paperwhites ect. for the Holidays? If so please join in. Everyone is welcome.

Here is what I've thus far. Paperwhites bulbs on rocks and water only; soiless container growing/forcing methods. I've started out with 8 bulbs; devided into two batches, then stagger them out for successive blooms. First batch was initiated last week, by goly! One of the bulbs is taking off and I could see a little bud is being formed. So I initiated the second batch today. These are fun projects to do. You can see the root system being formed in matter of days. Then the green leafy growth, and in no time; flowers!

Let's see yours. If you haven't explored growing/forcing bulbs before, and you're curious and interested. Your questions are welcome.

1. For bright light; I placed the bowls in my kitchen window with supplemental light. I learned in the past. If I didn't give these enough lighting, they tend to be leggy and the flower stalks will be weak, and flop over easily. So give your bulbs as much light as you can. ^:-)^

2. Same setting without light just to see the contrast.