What new plants have you just put in the ground?

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

As for me the northern part of the country ,the fastest cold winds were the Blizzard of 78 , and of course the warm tornado winds of spring or other seasons.We all have lived with the wind bringing delightful change of season or being devastating of terror..
Everything just has to be in place to stay, including us, when the wind witch comes howling Not always easy to keep us, the earth, or particularly our homes and gardens, in place, when that happens.

Luv the pics!! As for the snow, your glacial tundra ,and the glaciers in the mountains can keep that, I am really not in to the shoveling or making snowmen that goes with that lol

I use to really enjoy the grasslands and animal migrations ,"way out west" during travels of years ago.

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

got 22 lilacs in, 4 viburnum plicatum shasta doublefile and 3 prunus cistena in today, yeahhhhh. Only a gazillion more to go in, lol...

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

22 lilacs! Wow! I had 8! How I loved them! How I miss them! You will never regret it!

By the way, someone gave me a heads up about robertianum on a private dmail, so no one would know how dumb I am (very sweet). They sent me this:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/601/

Out they came! I put in at least half a dozen. And although I put them in only about ten days ago, they were getting quite established - a bad sign!

Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Oh my...I'm thinking I picked up that geranium at the botanic garden sale this spring, better think twice if I wanna plant it, especially when there are so many other wonderful geraniums to pick from. Glad I read this post!!!

Donna...where I grew up, we lived in a house overlooking a huge lake and recreational area, there were miles upon miles of lilacs planted as hedgerows for campers, the rows also included Elyganus angustifolia (russian olive), and the fragrance in the spring was absolutely amazing!!!! Too bad that Russian Olive has been outlawed in my state as a reseeding problem on the western side of my state, I'd love to have some just for the fragrance alone!!!! My lilacs were bought from the state forest program as whips, potted them on for a few years and now am getting them into the ground, think I bought almost a hundred and were about $.35 (cents) each.....Needless to say I was thrilled!!!!!!! I'm lining the fences for approx. 1 acre, should be a wonderous sight in a few years, and heaven in the spring, when the fragrance fills the air, is there a magic pill to make them grow faster? lol.....

This message was edited Oct 29, 2012 7:49 PM

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Opppps forgot to add pix. My main border also has lilacs. I lined it on the outsides and ends with lilacs to make a room, it will be several years til they are truely seen. This border is 45wide X 100ft long. Another reason for the lilacs is once they are tall enough, the deer won't jump the fence and get in to eat MY goodies (flowers)....

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

That is a really fine garden ,has a formal look with the comfortable ,calming feel (as to the look) of a wild planting, kind of like a formal cottage garden. really nice!!!
As for me I am playing with my Daylily ideas and seeds, and general ideas for the places of the plantings. I have a couple of lilacs that came from the Arbor Day foundation,they are small still .
My garden plantings are in general disarray but that is not unheard of around these parts either.I will get it right some day?maybe?lol
Yes and I remember some old lilacs as street plantings ,they are mostly gone these days, kind of a shame ,but in 20 years or so maybe the next generation gets to enjoy the same.

Donna - I think I had read that about robertianum at some point but wasn't sure.
juhur - yep - still remember the '78 storm. Wind chills here were horrible.
Only new plant I put in the ground this fall was Hosta 'Whee'. It was an impulse buy and the name made me smile.

Holly Springs, NC(Zone 7b)

Plant Delights Nursery is having a Fall Sale and so I'll be putting in 9 new plants from my Wish List over the weekend: 2 new hardy ginger lilies, a Greystone dianthus, a Caradonna salvia, a Snow Dome Chrysanthemum, a clumping variety of obedient plant, and a few echinacea that I don't already have. Tony Avent, the owner of PDN, wrote an essay that is included in the new book, "The Roots of My Obsession: Thirty Great Gardeners Reveal Why They Garden", by Thomas C. Cooper. The essays are only a few pages long, but learning how each of these folks came to gardening is very entertaining...and motivating!

Olathe, KS(Zone 5a)

I really need a N step program. Freeze for last 3 nights and worn out from planting (and moving heavy supplies like bags of dirt and bricks). Put 20 bricks in new patio area - need 60 more. Still have 4 fruit trees coming next week but holes are dug. Still not done with the mulched patio area (helper got sick). Fallen oak leaves in back yard are shrinking - back looking better. I planted a lot of protector daffodils but needed many more - will wait til next fall. I do have room for more plants. Many more plants.

Sooooo, started ordering seeds for winter sowing from Swallowtail (in mail), Jung, and Baker Creek Heirloom. Primarily for tomato, sweet pepper, and fancy looseleaf red lettuce. Also to get alchemilla, much loved blue flowers (anchusa - 2 types, delphiniums - 4 types, short eryngium), short green and tall fragrant nicotiana, 2 columbines (blue and yellow), peachy verbena, and white filler flowers (shastas, petunia, vinca, stock, snapdragon). I have had all these flowering plants before. Wanted Sungold tomato but could not find plants this year- wanted Kellogs Breakfast tomato but never found a plant.

Found very cheap supplies at Dollar Tree to make mini greenhouses - aluminum baking pans with clear lids, and smaller styrofoam cups. I think I have bunny protection in the fence lower addition but will find out later. I see dratted squirrels digging in my new beds - think I will sprinkle freshly ground black pepper on the tops of the mini greenhouses and surround them with the large containers (to try to keep the lids on from the rodents). In any case, will not use all the seeds. Worth a try.

(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

Last weekend I planted the 5 new peonies from peonies.net- 1/2 off, and good sized roots with lots of eyes. What a bargain! I also moved all my little Platycodons that I grew from seed this spring. Some were in the ground, some in pots, 7 in all. I had them mis-marked, thinking they were short annuals I had them at the edge of a border. Then, much to my surprise, there were a few flowers on dwarf plants! They are Hakone Blue, lovely double flowers. Can't wait to see what they do next year.

I have a lot more moving and re-arranging to do, but it's doubtful that we'll be going to CT this weekend as Sandy knocked out the power in most of the state. By the time we get up there again it will be really too late (as opposed to now, which is too late, but maybe it will still be ok!). So that means more work for the spring... Sigh...

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Bravo on your platys. I started seeds that I did not attend to, and then started a second set of three colors and the yield is so high that I have as many as 4 plants in a one inch cell! I guess I have a choice of clipping some of them or waiting until they have true taproots before separating them. The last time I succesfully grew platys was in 2000, when I got no blue ones but got lots of white and pink. Subsequent batches were dug up by animals or installed too soon.

Here are my seedlings. Any thoughts?

And here are my "old platys" at the house I sold.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack

Ooooh, I love the pink, such a soft color! Is that one plant, or more?

Your little seedlings are so cute! Can you tease them apart? How many do you want to end up with? Will you grow them indoors through the winter?

Not quite 20 questions... Lol!

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

It was multiple plants. I originally got 11 white and seven pink and put some of the pink in the front of the house. I think there are three pink ones there - actually perlemutter - mother of pearl.

I want to end up with as many as I can get. I suspect that if I let them form taproots (they look like little carrots) I will have more success. The ones I teased out of the ground at the original site had them, and they survived. The ones without taproots keeled.

Can one have too many platycodons? I don't think so!

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Donna, what I would do if they were mine, I'm just sayin IF....I would grow them on a bit further. First set of leaves are not true, so after the first set of leaves or second, I would begin to pinch the plants. Put under stronger lights, and close, within a few inches. Personally , I use shop lights, Home Depot (under $12 for the unit and $2-6 for lights, depending on what you get, 1 warm and 1 cool is best but have gone with the $2 bulbs for both, next figure out a way to hang them. See pix, not suggesting you buid one but just an idea, I use cheap chain. Could get some 1x1 or 1x2, cut to 4ft lengths and build a table top system, ie rectangle, hang chain and lights. Chain allows you to adjust light height as they grow, helps with legginess. I grow many, many plants in each cell or pot and then divide into single cells, sometimes up to 50 (pix 3)

Next...after they put on a bit more heft, you can let the soil dry a bit (if too wet it's easy to break them, pop out of the cell and divide and repot into seperate cells or 11/2" pots, I always handle by the top set of leaves, gently.....From these I grew these (pix 4,5.). I just Love growing babies....What am I gonna do when I fill my gardens....?

I am sooo sorry....Lol...I meant to say how LOVELY your platys are, just scrumpious!!!!!!! I must say that is one thing I don't have in this garden yet, ooops, better do someting about that!!! But isn't soooo rewarding to see them fully matured! The plant that I am truely amazed by is Nicotiana sylvestris....Just a spec of a seed and by the end of the summer is 5ftx4ft.....and smells heavenly..Kath

This message was edited Oct 31, 2012 9:32 PM

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

Last night I got on the iPad in the middle of the night, as I often do when I wake up until I get sleepy again, and ordered the pink platy seeds from Diane's, just have to have them. Last year I had great luck with her blue ones, which I started in Feb under lights. I use T-5's with daylight bulbs, they work really well. Maybe this year I'll start even earlier, to get bigger plants by spring.

Of course while I was at it I ordered a few more things, including wild white petunia. Does anyone have experience with it? I thought it looked pretty cool...

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Those insomnia hours can be expensive Pam.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Hi Warrior!

Thank you for all of the wonderful information. The setup that you describe is almost exactly what I had at the house I sold in September. I had a nice dark basement and two sets of shop lights on chains with a timer. I used to produce hundreds of plants, including my previous platys, in the manner you suggest.

My problem is that the new house has a full basement and all of it is lighted. I cannot make it dark! And shop lights have been embedded in the ceiling and cannot be lowered. I have therefore been forced to improvise by using the patio, which was actually warm enough for germination. So I am actually adjusting the heat by using the natural heat there (adjusting the windows). It is far less precise and the yields are lower, but until I can find a way to set up shop lights it will have to do.

I am going to take your advice and let them grow more.

This is what I used to have! Plus pots on retaining walls and all kinds of hardscaping. The pots on the stairs were the excess. This is the advantage of full sun, shop lights, APS kits from Gardener's Supply, and starting in January.

I'll find a way.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Nice pix.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I'm not sure whether it was impulse or insomnia, but I just gave in to an impulse and bought Rose Constance Spry for the parkway of my new house. I had resisted this, and then I realized that the rose is slipping from commerce. Pickering discontinued this. They have been discontinuing roses for a couple of years because, they explained, there is not enough demand for them, even those they love. They announce that roses are in their last season, but somehow it escaped me that CS was one of them. I can only get it from Antique Rose Emporium by ordering three roses (have you seen their shipping costs?), Chamblees does not have it (love their one gallons). Heirloom does, but their roses are very small - I got some last summer, and while it's wonderful to have them, it is going to be a while before they put on any size.

So I panicked - and added it to my Roses Unlimited order. Which was already three roses. Rose du Rescht, Tess of the D'Urbervilles, and Zephirine Drouhin, all from my old yard. NUTS! But the thought of not having this great rose, which became enormous after only three years from a Pickering bareroot, was just too much.

Here is a three year old Constance Spry. In 2011

Pic 1, against my neighbor's house, with a Zephirine Drouhin to the right twice its age.

Pic 2, displaying its lovely cascading habit (many grow it as a climber.

Pic 3, 4 and heaven help me, the flowers.

Pic 5, here she is as a one year old plant, in 2009.

It only blooms once, but for six weeks, the flowers are five inches, and the scent is fantastic. Afterwards, you deadhead it, and it then requires no care, just looking like a handsome shrub. It's so big that the parkway is the only place I can put it.

I really need to stop!

Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Wow, just love the purple petunias and the Heliotrope, yum they smell soooooo good!!!! and just LOVE your roses...

Constance is a beauty. Was going to get Z.D. for it fragrance , lack of thorns and ability to take part shade, was thinking on the southeast side of the house as a climber. Some others I will be planting in the next few days are: White Iceberg (2), Wichuriana (1), Theresa Bugnet (2), Robinhood (11), Double Pink Knockout (3), Brilliant Pink Iceberg (12), in the next few days.....egads!

Today I put in: Cercise canadensis (1), Cornus Kousa (1), Betula nigra var. jacquemontii (1clump), Prunus glandulosa (Flowering Almond) (3), Caryopteris (3), Spiarea Anthony Waterer (5), and ran out of daylight so only got 1 red peony in....Whew, I should sleep like a rock tonight, lol....

Linum perenne (pix), no it's not in bloom, ya all have to put up with previous pix til spring...lol.

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I just had to reply with one of my Grandma stories, she had a flowering almond when I was high school(not to tell, not to tell) I loved the scent of that in bloom, it never grew large and it was showy for it's size. it came as one of those wholesale to the public root starts back when those had merit ,you know what i'm talking about ,nudge nudge.
She was always delighted by that also,(liked to say how pretty the shrub was at the start of every summer) well I was sent away one day and then returned (c'mon you all know, we have a way doing that) IT was not there,I asked,Where's the flowering shrub? she replied,I don't know,I guess it died.
IT was in such a nonchalant and regular voice all I could think at the moment was huh?, what? Took me by surprise to say..!
Well how is that for anticlimactic? lol

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I forgot really pretty pics all, just gorgeous!!!
wow is that story just awful ! ^_^

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Warrior you are unbelievable. I'd be in traction if I did all of that in THREE days. What an amazing garden you are developing.

Zeph is on the northeast side of my house. It is supposedly a zone 6 rose, but a St. Louis based rosarian said, nah, put it in. Do get it - you will never regret it, although it takes three years to show you what it can do. It spends the first two pumping out tons of foliage, and people wonder what is wrong with it. And my flowers are more double than many photos show.

You can also grow it as a shrub. The branches grow long and then fall over, as though you pegged it. It does need to be evenly watered or it gets blackspot (hence the soaker hose at the base to accommodate 15 minutes a week) but it blooms like crazy any way, through complete neglect and blackspot. And it can bloom into December.

I'm installing a new one in semishade in the spring. That's supposed to work. If not, it's joining Constance Spry on the parkway..

Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Just stunning Donna, will definately look for it next spring, I know of atleast 2 nurseries in my area that sell it...but it will be pricey...hmmm...maybe I should just get it bareroot from J&P.

Lol..juhur...I can't remember where I first came into contact with it (childhood somewhere, just loved the little rosebuds), but did grow it at a previous house and loved it, but I don't remember it having fragrance, if it does I'd be thrilled. Most of the shrubs I will be or am planting have all been favorites from childhood memories. I grew up in a town that had a mailorder catalog and retail outlet, Gurney's Seed and Nursery. They have long since been sold and moved from my hometown, but it sure did encourage diversity out in the boonies of small farm town in South Dakota, and I will always be thankful for their influence in my life!! Years later it was PBS and their gardening shows after I had bought my first home. That's how I got the Cottage Garden influences. Then came all the garden books (English mostly), you know the coffee table type books. I gotta say one of my all time favorites is the peony tho and will be planting more than 30, (walmart specials and years til they put on a good show, like Donna's above), how bad is that. I wish I had more time and energy yet this season to get my planting done....Six days to do as much as I can.....weather moving in next weekend and sitting the gkids over the weekend also, but sure would love another week of nice temps after that......PLEASE!!!!!!

Sure hope I have time to get these in tooooo. Kathy, and thanks for the feedback, it helps encourage me to get with it and accomplish some of my late season tasks. Later........

Yup, Donna was tired (good nights sleep tho) and sorta took the day off, a bit cool here and a breeeeeze, don't think it made it to 50*. Did place a few plants at their planting spot and dug a few holes, but I'm a wuss..gave me a chance to take it easy for 1 day as I'll be out tomorrow, gungho!!!! Tomorrow 60s and sunshine, yeah...!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

LATER 60's and through the 70 GSC was my store of choice Yankton S.D. their logo displayed back then,, these days Greendale Indiana is where they are as bought by Gardens Alive. I have some old red German garlic I need to get planted and some rhododendrons from them just planted.
They ship slow ,but their material is really good as far I care. Alright so I am a loyalist lol who can say?

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Pfg:
You asked about the white petunias. If I remember correctly, I planted this petunia several years ago--probably three or four. Seeds germinated fine, planted in the garden--did fine, lasted through the summer--fine. However, over all, I was a little disappointed in them. I was hoping they would re-seed-they didn't. I felt these petunias were no better than a six pack I could buy for less than two bucks. They were not very fragrant either. Hate to tell you this. Maybe these will be different than the ones I had.
I noticed Select Seeds has a heirloom petunia mix that is suppose to be fragrant. The petunias you get in the box stores aren't fragrant anymore. I may try this one just because I miss the fragrance petunias used to have.

I also like to grow heliotrope for the fragrance.

I don't usually grow too many annuals. The ones I do grow are because they either cost too much: (3.50 to 4.50 ea!) or you can't get them anymore. Cost too much: Heliotrope, Angelonia (which I will try this year) or hard to find: Tall snaps and fragrant petunias. I need to get my seed order started.

Hubby asked me to not grow so many plants from seed this year. He said surely our gardens were filling up with flowers!! He's right. I am really trying to control the winter sowing!

Jude the Obscure rose is still pumping out beautiful, fragrant roses! Temps getting in the low to mid 30's at night.

I've been putting mulch down--again. I put down four bags and bought ten more at 1.13/cu. ft. I also dug up about 8 small lantanas to winter over in the downstairs garage. I put bricks around the big lantanas to give them a little warmth through the winter. They are perennial to zone 7. I am one zone short do you think -anyone- they will winter over with the bricks? Any other advice?

Pictures are all so pretty.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

When you plant perennials late in the fall, do you fertilize, and if so, what do you use? Do you use one of those (expensive) fertilizers that focus on root development?

Olathe, KS(Zone 5a)

Fruit trees coming this week - maybe. Enough with the digging. I read up on the winter sowing thingie - plant in batches, starting mid January - OK. Sounds good to me. Missed getting one pepper seed packet I really wanted - backordered. Got ticked off and went on line to search for possible replacement. Found more sales.

I really wanted the old plain leaved blue flowered brunnera that no company seemed to want to sell. Found it at Vermontwildflowerfarm.com with about a 1/2 price spring preorder sale. Found other plants I wanted, such as old fashioned dicentra, asiatic lily landini, penstemon elfin pink, virginia bluebells, coreopsis moonbeam, siberian iris strawberry fair (new to me). Spring shipment, free shipping if over $39.00. Cost me 39.18. Original prices are really high. Hah!

A few months ago, 3 black landinis I planted turned out to be orange tiger lilies. Called company several times - wrote Watchdog and got a reply - sent me code for replacement but have to pay shipping - replacement code did not work - so decided to get lily from any place other than this bankrupted company. I will pay much more attention to the Watchdog.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Hi Happ,

If you fertilize at all in the fall you either want to use something that is activated by warmth in the spring (not now), or you want to use an extremely low nitrogen but higher phosphorus (the middle number) which helps root growth and fairly low potassium (promoted cell function and absorbsion of trace elements). I personally use Osmocote (which won't activate until it hits 70 degrees, which is late spring here) and supertriple phosphate in the fall. So basically I am putting down, for the use of the plant now, phosphate only.

I have heard arguments for using 0-20-0, and I can see why. You definitely don't want to use any nitrogen level that will push the babies into growth n0ow.

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Wow, juhur, you actually know about Gurney's, amazing....was one of my first jobs at age 16....lol. I filled seed orders for one season in the spring....oh my that was many moons ago...What was truely a delight was to drive by all the feilds they used to grow their stock. I remember they had a feild (acres and acres)of gladiolas, they would cut them and sell them at their store for .10 a stalk....LOL.

Got more planted in the last few days: 4 Viburnum opulus (snowball), 5 Lonicera tatarica, 11 Rose Dbl. Pink Iceberg, 4 Weigela rosea.

Birder...lol, have you thought about taking more of his lawn to enlarge your garden for all those newly aquirred plants? Just don't tell him....lol... And yes I've noticed that about the petunias too. It's all the breeding they have been doing to them...If you want the fragrant ones..yup start the old fashioned type from seed. Select Seeds is great, just got some seed from them a month ago, am thinking they were half priced...A couple you might want to try if you like fragrance is Zaulizianska capensis and Reseda odderata (reseeds), both can be sown insitu and wonderfully fragrant.......

Pix is Reseda, (Napolean's Josephine just loved these), sorry not the best pix, lol, new phone (camera).

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

wwk; that sounds like a lot of planting and digging,I'm still way behind on mine but then I always am. Who knows you may of been filling my garden seed orders back when, only problem there is we are not going to tell as age, at least I am not going to,,lol
Sounds like we like to shop similar places, last month I got red runner beans a couple of types of Centaurea and some pow wow Echinacea that are already growing ,That was late to plant but they are growing nicely, some of them take anything and I really like plants like that. (It is enjoyable when you do not have to watch a plant like hatching eggs or something)lol
For soil control and development I like Daylily ( Hemerocallis) ,and several to move and new ones to establish before freeze sets for winter. Contrary to some info they don't really like he blazing summer sun here though.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks, DonnaMack (as always). So maybe I'll just put down the phosphate. I know I can spend a lot on plants, but the price of Osmocote scares me!

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Lol...I'll use that Jack Benny saying, I'm 39.......

What centaureas did you get? Just love them, so far I have: C. montana (blue), C. montna 'Amethyst in White', both reseed and the white more so.
C. phygria in purple and yellow, both are light reseeders and
C. machrocephala (the biggest of all of them), here shown with an unopened Veronica (common name is hardhead, and blooms mid summer ( the others bloom all season), very light reseeding.
And I got a new one last year but didn't bloom yet, it's C. montana 'Blackie' 'spose to be a dark purple

The montanas can be used as indicator plants...if they start to droop it's time to water....read that somewhere....
If you ever find the pink montana I want seed.....lol, that or one of these days I will have to order the seed from England.

Egads...lol.. don't even get me going on perenns that need to get into the ground...I have a bunch, yikes!!!!

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

C scabiosa, C,americana, Should not be hard to grow ,but sometimes ,hey what can you say!!lol I had Americana growing a few years ago, they use to grow wild in some places near these parts, but that doesn't correlate to modern information either.

This is what happens when I am working on vegies instead of flowers!!lol
Now ya know why I love your garden pics I am all wanna be with flower thing.

Thumbnail by juhur7

I just ordered Petunia Axillaris, Wild Petunia, from Diane's Seeds. yours anyone have experience with it? It looked interesting, maybe it will do a better job of filling in.

Does anyone sell the dianthus loveliness seeds isolated by color? Or do you have some, Kathy?

I grew the centaurea Black Ball last year and was disappointed. I think it would look better massed, the way you plant, but it doesn't fit into my scheme. The leftover seeds are going in the robin, btw.

I have a friend who is a landscape designer. We don't talk garden very often, she says being a pro took the fun out of gardening for her, it's just work, so I don't impose... But I do know she only uses Plantone (Hollytone for acid lovers) for fertilizer. Before planting a new bed she amends the soil with peat and Plantone, way more than recommended, then broadcasts it spring and fall. Her gardens look wonderful and lush. I've started doing that here. Last fall I dumped a lot on one bed when everything else was finished, and this summer that bed was amazing. This fall I plan to do it on all the beds once I finish moving things around, which is right about now. Plantone takes a few months to break down, so it's perfect for this time of year. In the spring I did the rest of the beds but didn't get the same effect, it should kick in next year.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks, PFG. I think I have some Plantone in the garage I should use up anyway! But I would have assumed it had too much Nitrogen for this time of year.

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Pfg...I just got some pink from Select Seeds today, (#032 for $1.67, they are on sale....or ..d-mail coming).

I just got my order today and were 40-50% off. I had forgotten how much I ordered, ooops. LOL.
White and Apricot Foxglove, Asperula (f), 2 varieties of Polygonum (kiss me over the garden gate), Mignonette or Reseda (f), Zaluzianskya (f), 2 different Cynoglosums, Poppy berries and cream, Flax bright eyes, pink Lavatera, Viscaria, and Centaurea imperialis (think is F also)....(f)=fragrant.

Planted today: 1 Rose dbl pink Iceberg (all in now), 6 Weigela (all in now), 2 Buddleia Black Night, and 1 Large..... tree....Tilia cordata Little Leaf Linden. It was a B&B containerized from Home Depot.....If any of you are planting trees from any of the box stores now or in the future.......Please!!!!! remember, find the first or most upper root on the root ball... and don't plant any deeper than 1-2" at the most above that (soil line).... if not you could loose your tree. I had to clean off several inches (3-4), of soil from the rootball, staighten out the roots and put them downward and not wrapped arond the tree.... I hope it loves it's new home and all my TLC....

pix 1: a newbie this year was Penstemon palmerii (will top out at 4-6ft in height), the only fragrant penstemon...geeze, I forgot to smell it....duh!! Ok, next year.
pix 2: here's some jj's (which reseed for me and on the right is the Dianthus X Loveliness
pix 3..this is a lovely little Gentain (can't remember which one sorry and it's dark and scarey out there....), tho I did get two new varieties this year, still need to get planted.
pix 4: Asperula orientalis, just started blooming as the season was ending so no seed ( atleast I don't think so)
pix 5: foreground...Lythrum Morden Pink (not available in commerce any more...it's relatives are reseeding thugs but this one is sterile and is 48+",), in the background is a shrub rose and white daisy Becky

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Sigh ^_^

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Whew...2 more days of planting...Put in 11 Red Robin shrub roses, 2 Cercise canadensis (redbud), another Cornus Kousa which is Pink flowered, a Philadelphus (mock orange), 2 white Iceberg Roses, 1 tree Peony Feng Dan Bat (white), 3 Salix integra (Dapple Willow), and a Weigela Alexandra 'Wine and Roses. Gosh my backyard should smell GOOOOD next year....

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Wow!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.