Photo by Melody
Announcements
The ability to post new threads and comments is currently off-line. We are working to restore this feature.

Perennials: What new plants have you just put in the ground?, 4 by DonnaMack

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright DonnaMack

In reply to: What new plants have you just put in the ground?

Forum: Perennials

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of What new plants have you just put in the ground?
DonnaMack wrote:
Hi Warrior!

Thank you for all of the wonderful information. The setup that you describe is almost exactly what I had at the house I sold in September. I had a nice dark basement and two sets of shop lights on chains with a timer. I used to produce hundreds of plants, including my previous platys, in the manner you suggest.

My problem is that the new house has a full basement and all of it is lighted. I cannot make it dark! And shop lights have been embedded in the ceiling and cannot be lowered. I have therefore been forced to improvise by using the patio, which was actually warm enough for germination. So I am actually adjusting the heat by using the natural heat there (adjusting the windows). It is far less precise and the yields are lower, but until I can find a way to set up shop lights it will have to do.

I am going to take your advice and let them grow more.

This is what I used to have! Plus pots on retaining walls and all kinds of hardscaping. The pots on the stairs were the excess. This is the advantage of full sun, shop lights, APS kits from Gardener's Supply, and starting in January.

I'll find a way.