What new plants have you just put in the ground?

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Polly,

Well, in a few years you will be able to do quite a tutorial on viburnums.

Put in little stuff yesterday. Some of the finishing touches. Allium oreophyllum at the front of beds, where it will be seen. My last few WP Milners where I have noticed squirrel activity. And I'm expecting speciosum uchida any day.

I'm looking at the shadier areas of my yard for spring. I think I can get a viburnum dentatum Chicago Lustre there. I have already found several sources. Happily they include nearby garden centers, so I can assess them in person and wait until spring. Also looking at several for sunny spots in the yard that currently have garbage shrubs. Trilobum? Opulus? Carlesi? A truly hardy viburnum plicatum?

It was in the 50's. I gave my parkway sod a good watering, since we haven't had rain in a while. It's going to go dormant, like everyone else's grass, but it needs to do it slowly.

I've been looking at the hardy geraniums I installed a few weeks ago. Such lovely autumn color! Next year I'll be dividing them.

(Zone 4b)

Quote from DonnaMack :
I've been looking at the hardy geraniums I installed a few weeks ago. Such lovely autumn color!

I really like some of my hardy geraniums. I know "Max Frei" is a pretty old school traditional one but I like it lots as it gives a mass of blooms in the spring, it is so well behaved i.e. tight and compact, gives sporadic blooms late in the season and the leaves turn a lovely colour in the fall.

This past summer I planted a very new introduction called "Havana Blues". It is supposed to be a better behaved "Rozanne" (ie less sprawling).

This message was edited Nov 21, 2012 12:58 PM

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Biokovo and Karmina have wonderful fall color, and even the leaves are scented.

Donna, those viburnums are full grown now, but I'm not one to give a tutorial, I just planted them.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh, I have to go stick my nose in the geraniums!

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Polly do you like your Shasta, and what is the mature size and from what size and how long...lol (thankyou). You know those tags sometime are just not that accurate. Do you love your carlessii? yum!!!!

Rouge..Started with Johnson's blue then tried Rozanne and I just love my Rozanne, so where did you get the new variety? Have bunches of the hardy geraniums, just love'm all.

Hope everyone had a great turkey day!!! Kathy.

A few pix with my Rozannes.

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
(Zone 4b)

Quote from warriorswisdomkathy :
I just love my Rozanne, so where did you get the new variety?

"Rozanne" is wonderful in the right setting as it can be large and sprawling.

Between you and I ;) I was able to get this new variety shipped to me from Europe...5 bare root plants in early spring 2012. 1 died while in my care :( but the other 4 progressed well this past season and I look forward to seeing them do their 'stuff' in 2013.

This message was edited Nov 23, 2012 7:24 AM

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh, Kathy, is that Oregano Kent Beauty?!!! Is it hardy for you?

I love your color combinations and textures!

Would you please identify each of the plants in your pics?

Donna

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I love Shasta. Even when not in bloom it has a nice architectural show. I planted it about 7 years ago from a one quart which was maybe a foot tall, and now it's 6 foot tall. Which is about the max, I think. It is, however, very wide, which I didn't take into account, and it's growing into other shrubs. I would say to give it a good 10 feet for width.

Amended to say Shoshoni grows just a little smaller, so if you want smaller, look into that one.

This message was edited Nov 23, 2012 10:12 AM

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Ya, ya...I know..should have put the names of plants up..and thanks for the compliments Donna!
Pix1: Rozanne, annual alyssum (which had reseeded in) and yes Origanum Kent Beauty
Pix2: If you look closely (enlarge pix), you will see 2 verbascums, one is prurple and the other is lavender; Dianthus X Loveliness and a Rozanne
Pix3: Rozanne, Centranthus ruber (jupiter's beard), and Humulus aureous Golden Hops vine which was allowed to sprawl.

Just to let ya all know the Dianthus has died out and needs to be replaced. It comes in red, a couple of pinks, a couple of whites (pure and green eye zone), purple and lavender and short lived as it blooms profusely, (shucks...it doesn't reseed tho).

Polly....already planted the Shastas from 1 gallon sized containers, I believe they were Home Depot specials, put in 5, can't remember if I placed them 8 or 10ft apart. Am hoping for them to grow together, making a green backdrop for the plants in front. So I may have to consider a lighter colored flower such as the Daisies... Or I could dig my Salvia n. Pink and replant them to this area, only thing is I already planted Spiareas on both sides of the open area to the front of the Shastas. I guess I could try for a color echo effect if I use the pink. I should try to get a pix of my plans drawn to this point and see if I can post. Thanks, I'm getting some great feedback.

rouge...who do you get plants from in Europe...and have you had sucess ordering from across the pond? I've been eyeing a pink Centaurea montana for years now, was hoping it would make it's way to America but hasn't made it into commerce yet.

(Zone 4b)

Quote from warriorswisdomkathy :
rouge...who do you get plants from in Europe...and have you had sucess ordering from across the pond?

It was a one time thing Kathy. The grower was really so nice to send me the plants....gratis!

(Zone 4b)

I began this thread over 200 posts ago and now I might be one of the last to be planting something this weekend in a zone 5 (albeit it is a tree and not a perennial per se). I had been searching nursery after nursery late this fall hoping to find an Acer shirasawanum 'Aureum' aka "Golden Full Moon Japanese Maple". Well I was almost resigned to starting my search again next spring (it would be easy at that time of the year) and then I came across one about an hour away from my home. I picked it up last night. It is quite large considering how slowly this tree does grow i.e. 15 gallon container, 5 foot high. And this morning it is cold windy and a bit snowy. It is for sure dormant so I do plan to dig that hole this weekend. Anyone want to come help?

Thumbnail by rouge21
(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

Good luck to you!

My garden is frozen, I've been done for a couple of weeks now. Last week I was able to get a few more small bulbs in- white Muscari and Thalia daffs- using a screwdriver to punch down through the frost, but that was it. I was hoping this weekend would be milder, but it's actually colder. I'll still cover the raised veggie beds with cardboard, held down with bricks, hoping to keep the weeds down. That worked reeally well last year. But no way I'll be able to plant the garlic. Oh well, another chore put off until spring. Sigh...

Olathe, KS(Zone 5a)

Gee, I would love to help dig - cough, cough, but I am waiting for 2 more lily plus other bulb shipments, due next week - maybe. Have 20 large containers ready - much easier than getting soil ready - but much more expensive. But no voles can get them and I can move them around. One lily made it through 2 winters and summers in a much smaller tub - so I thought this should work. I did not know where so many different lilies could go in the ground. I have no intention of moving plants around in the soil - been there before. Use to have horrible color clashes. I am not a great gardener but I do have perfect color vision.

It was 19 degrees this morning - hard to dig up soil for coming 5 daffodils and 50 muscari - if necessary they will go in a tub too. I planted old and new plants in the worst possible time of year but had no choice - new home - major drought, 107 degrees, now 19 degrees - oomph. I had a lot of help from a teenager or I would not have survived.

I will be looking for small Japanese maples next year - only have one so far. Not sure which ones to get but want dwarf, not too expensive, for shade, and fall foliage. Already experimented with dwarf conifers - getting there. In the spring I can get some splits from peonies I gave a relative a few years ago - then want one more I used to have. I will have a great garden next year. Back yard is 95% ready now. Front yard is about 80% ready (many tiny shrubs) - can get more plants next year. Removed a mirror from front yard bird feeding stations and finally inside cats can see outside birds again.

Time to rest up gardeners - you did a lot of work this year.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I will take the time to rest as that, not tomorrow but next Sunday long range forecast is predicting 50 degree weather that I can go for!! Will do some winter sowing and more pre- weed prevention if or when that weather happens.
I agree about this past season what weather pattern nature threw at all and every.!!
Did get garlic planted few others missed getting done, I get slow sometimes I admit it lol

Has anyone tried planting garlic in the spring? Does it work? Or did I just miss it this year? I didn't pull all of this years plants, hoping they come back as clumps the way they did in zone 6... Maybe I can move some around? Always the optimist, lol!

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Good luck with your Aureum, rouge.
It's one of my all-time faves.
Pamper it ... it's worth it. I'm sure you'll love it!

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Still linning out trees and shrubs, got 1 more rose to get in but couldn't get the hole dug (had to water it til tomorrow...lol). Boy it was cloudy and a bit burry here today....hope tomorrow is better as I start getting perenns and iris in this week....Yeah!!!!! I can almost see my driveway....

Speaking of the Acer (maples), put 3 in the ground today, can hardly wait til spring as this is the only maple that is fragrant (Acer ginnala Burgundy). Maples are sooo pretty....

Pam...you can wait til a warmer day to get those in. Or put a black pot over the area where you want to plant (upside down, it will warm the soil for you, and do it later in the afternoon after the frost has left the ground....After all they don't go that deep. And yes, I've planted in the spring but didn't harvest til the following year. Bagged up some seed for you today, so far 12 goodies and sorry couldn't find the Asclepias, it died out a few years back so will have to regrow if I ever find more seeds. May have to order. Still have to find the centranthus I collected this fall might still be in the car...Geez...lol. If I ever get everything together it will be a miracle...lol.

pix 1 & 2: 220 Iris to get in.....

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

Wow Kathy! I can't believe how much you've gotten planted so late- You must have been piling it all up for months! Don't worry about the asclepias or centranthus, sounds like you've found enough to keep me busy. Not to mention, I finally made a list of all the seeds I've collected, bought, had left over and got from the robin and trades... Yikes!!! It's endless! We're closing the house this weekend so I'll be doing all my early seed starting in the city, and I'll need a bigger apartment, lol.

I may try the garlic tomorrow, but if I don't get to it no big deal. I really want it for top growth for salads and pest discouragement, so even if the bulbs don't mature it will be fine. I did get the cardboard down on the raised beds.

Last fall I planted a few different types of columbine seeds, both in a container and in the ground, and nothing happened. I know it was unusually warm here in the winter, then there was a very dry spell, then a 2 week freeze...maybe they started to germinate then dried up? Or maybe not. In any case, I didn't disturb either place so maybe next spring I'll have a surprise... Or not...

I also sowed some lunaria and some allium afflatuense seeds, maybe something will happen with those. I can't really WS until the end of March when we come back here, which is good for cool weather annuals and a few other things, so I use the Deno method in the frig for most perennials. I keep trying to figure out how to hang a window box out the city window, but the ledge is an odd shape so it seems complicated. It would be really bad if it fell!

Happy planting, you all...

Pam

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Well my ascelpias syrica? Tall Green is opening pods now and sows itself. Something to make the butterflies happy !!

I heard a podcast a couple of weeks ago about planting garlic in pots and, in some cases, even setting the pots outdoors for the winter. I think the recommendation was one garlic clove per pot. Heard it on "You Bet Your Garden" website. Some of you might be able to still plant garlic.

In the end I did get the garlic in- 4 giant bulbs worth of cloves, lined the long edge of one bed and the short ends of 2 others. The pot idea sounds good too, but we're gone now. I wish I had done it before we left.. In the spring I want to move some around the roses and see if it helps with pests. It's too much to hope it would keep the beetles away, but maybe other uglies?!

All the hoses are in, clay pots, frig empty and unplugged, the plumber is coming tomorrow to shut it all down. A brief hiatus, then seed starting...

But I'll still be lurking, lol. Happy winter, everyone. Pam

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Congratulations Pam!

And Happy Winter to you and everyone on this wonderful thread!

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Here's what I did yesterday....168 pots..whew. Gosh I'm hoping to dig and plop this week...ran out of the tall germans (Iris), so will have to dig a few clumps to fill in some gaps......

Weather is holding...sorta, today will only reach 30*, cloudy and foggy and it's already after 1pm...tomorrow and the next 6 days in the 50-60*. Hoping to get them all in, this area had been rotilled to atleast 12" deep and two years in a row (so no roots from the grasses), boy am I glad tooo.

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
Olathe, KS(Zone 5a)

Only one of two lily orders came today (Van E) - hope other (B&D) is not lost. I easily planted 9 large tubs. My ears are frozen (they are predicting light snow?). I would not be able to dig in the ground. How do you dig when it is freezing? If I was tasked to plant a jillion plants, I would choose another hobby. ;) Did not plant daffodils and muscari from this shipment yet.

Yesterday, one of my 3 neighbors actually trimmed his 2 apple trees that hang over my fence and in the utility wires - that we (helper and I) partially trimmed. So that goes off my to-do list.

You all amaze me with your energy and knowledge. Will keep watching.

(Zone 4b)

Quote from carolmo :
How do you dig when it is freezing?

I find for my zone that it takes a bit of time before freezing temperatures translates into truly frozen ground.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Same here,, planted Daylilies today!! I love them around trees and shrubs ,makes it easy to mow!!lol

Olathe, KS(Zone 5a)

Good - I need to put 2 new fruit trees in a little deeper. Supposed to get warmer Thursday to Sunday. Can then plant the daffodils and muscari and maybe the remaining lily bulbs if they arrive soon.

Might go get ear muffs? Must stop ordering.

Would black plastic spread over your planting area keep the ground a little warmer, maybe keeping it from freezing?

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

yes cindy it would...
I wouldn't be able to dig today since there is moisture in the ground...but if I wait til it's a bit warmer then I'm able to dig...that's why I'm planting like crazy now as in a few weeks yikes, a pick axe would probably do the job....lol. We've also had a lack of truely cold weather which helps a bunch....plus the ground is still loose from the recent rerototilling.
When I get done planting if there is still time I will water for a few days to settle the soil. Also have found that by late in the afternoon when the sun goes behind the trees above me (I live toward the bottom of a hill), it's time to head in for the day as the soil gets COLD!!!!
So right now, this area is in full sun but I can only plant til about 3-3:30 in the afternoon, tho sunset is more toward 4:30ish.

one of my newbie Iris Denver Delight

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

I bet it's heaven (except for the cold temps) to plant in nice fluffy rototilled ground. Sigh...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.