What new plants have you just put in the ground?

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I'd be in traction. You are amazing.

Olathe, KS(Zone 5a)

Wonder Woman. I am in awe.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Kathy, you make me tired! I have grown the Zaluzianisk capensis 'Midnight Candy'. I WS it. I was disappointed in it. It did not smell that fragrant, and I thought the flowers were quite insignificant. It might have been where I had them planted. I have looked at the Resedda oddorata. From what I recall, it's not a very "pretty" plant but supposedly makes up for it by its fragrance. Is it really quite fragrant? I assume you grew it from seed as I don't ever see it in any garden centers. Does it reseed aggressively?

I used to grow several flowers for fragrance. It was a trait high on my list of priorities before I chose to grow a plant. Presently, I don't keep fragrance as a high priority. For me, it seems I had to get down on the ground and stick my nose in it before I could actually enjoy the fragrance. I am not an acrobat! Flowers I do grow for fragrance are Nicotania, purple petunias, Lavender and Heliotrope.
The Nicotania gently re-seeds around the mother plants and sways gracefully in the breeze. I have had helioptrope re-seed but it is rare.

Donna: My Jude the Obscure is still pumping out flowers--pleasant fragrance-so pretty. I guess I have switched to shrubs to get my fix for fragrance! You can stick your nose in them w/o getting on the ground!

I still have a couple of plants to get in the ground: A Pink Coneflower and a Foxglove. I wrenched my knee last week pulling weeds, moving plants, and mulching; so gardening has been put on hold. Tomorrow, I may "sit" and work on thrashing seeds. It's suppose to get to 70 tomorrow. I sure wish I was able to get outside and do some physical gardening.

My gardens are pretty full. I am going to focus on landscaping bones more this next year: brick borders and other activities.

Olathe, KS(Zone 5a)

Bought more daffodils at Lowes - dwarf tete a tete and double yellow Dick Wilden - never heard of it - will plant in next 2 days.

Long time ago, I also planted phlox midnight candy (had to stick nose in it but was nice) and reseda mignonette (do not remember exactly but was not thrilled). I also bought some plants for fragrance but again was not thrilled - want plants that one can smell easily. Heliotrope was ok but again had to stick nose in it. I planted the tall white annual nicotiana Only the Lonely several times - again, did not smell the fragrance at night - but I like the looks. I bought plants this year (drought got them early) and will winter sow soon.

At even older house I planted lots of lilies for fragrance. Mistake. The trumpet lilies were so fragrant I could not stand to stay outside. The fragrance really, really carries and is overpowering. I think I have one oriental that survived but do not know how it smells yet - plan to stick mainly with asiatic that have no smell at all.

I did have and still have 2 extremely fragrant tall, old, but not very pretty purple german irises that one can smell from many feet away. I put several sections of each in the back yard here. I kept trying to get more types but every time I ordered an iris for fragrance I am disappointed. I love these 2 - one is Sweet Lena - old collected one, other - who knows. I will keep trying to get really old ones. They smell like grapes with perfume added. The 2 are different - one is more perfumey.

I did have viburnum carlesii (sold out this year) that smells like cloves from a distance and put 2 types of viburnums in here (burkwoodii and juddii) - assume they also smell like cloves or carnations. I replaced a once blooming alba rose - Felicite Parmentier - that I had to get from Canada - other companies were sold out. This rose also sends out fragrance quite a distance. The new English roses Evelyn and Jude the Obscure are huge, blooming, but did not send out their fragrance. The one mock orange smells good but not from a distance - yet.

Moved 15 tomato stakes to back area of fence so they can get watered easier. Will put tall flowering plants on one side of fence next spring. Stark is sending 4 fruit trees and should be here tomorrow - finally! The holes are dug. Replacement peach, nectarine, apricot, plumcot. Just got the notice tonight and they stated it would be here in morning. Great - lovely weather today and tomorrow then cold and rain again Sunday when my teen helper can come over - hope he can do the oak leaves - blow and/or shred - if not raining. Odd that the leaves stay in the flower beds but not much on the mulches. Painted an old gas lamp post, finished laying bricks again (yeah, sure), and now have 632 of them in. Lot easier when working on the flat and hauling them with a wheel barrow. Laid out a small brick area by lamp post for the Shogetsu flowering cherry tree I may get in spring. Will lay landscape fabric tomorrow, then cedar mulch for my so called cheap patio. Almost done until January when I will start winter sowing in batches. Winter sowed at previous house using baggies but got turned in to city by idiot neighbor for having 'trash' in back yard. This neighborhood is not as ritzy and no one had turned me in yet for the work in progress. I insisted on getting a house without HOA so I could garden my way.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Ah, trumpet lilies! Yes, they are wonderful, but you have to space them. And they need, perhaps to be spaced for type. The same for Orientals. Too many, too close together, especially a mix of certain kinds, is gross. Is it just me? Stargazer turns my stomach. Especially indoors. It is very popular, and people kept asking if I grew it. I did. I was happy when it died.

I read that the Judd viburnum is a cross between v. carlesi and v. bitchiuense. Michael Dirr says that it has the best features of both parents. He thinks that it is actually superior to carlesi (as a former owner, hard to imagine) that some say is less fragrant but he can't tell the difference. So my dear, congratulations. I have found a place in my new yard where I may be able to put one.

I also read that burkwood is a carlesi cross. What fragrance you will have!

I have been much less ambitious than you. I found some reasonably prices camassia semiplena (a really cool camassia) at White Flower Farm. Years ago I paid $25 for five of them. Six were on sale for a third of that price, so I grabbed them. They were starting to sprout, so I put them in under a cherry tree (edible!) in the back of the house. All that is now left are minor bulbs, such as allium oreophyllum, which, thank goodness, is a close to surface bulb.

Mary Pavie, Sea Foam and Glamis Castle are blooming like mad. I have a couple of new Austins that are in major bud. Since it is going up to the 60's for a day or two they may perform for me.

And yes, I moved to a neighborhood with no HOA AND no watering restrictions - because no one waters! I soaker hosed my trees and noticed that they held their leaves and stayed green long after all the other trees in the neighborhood dropped their leaves. Cool!

For nicotiana scent, you might try good old nicotiana alata. My neighbors in my old yard would stop in their tracks in the evenings and ask what the wonderful scent was. I have been throwing the seeds around my yard in order to reestablish it.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I'm enjoying the talk about scents.

For lilies I love the LA ones, the cross between the Longiflorum and Asiatic types. They are LIGHTLY but lovely scented. We have large acreage, so the trumpets and the orientals are not too bad in the gardens, but not for the house, whew!

With the help of DGer GE (Jo), I've recently become re enamored with phlox. We were running out of plants by August since we are now getting earlier springs, and phlox is a great plant for late summer. Here's a website that has some that are extremely fragrant.

http://perennialpleasures.net/all-about-phlox

Nicotiana elata is a great idea, Donna! That would last into late summer, also. Definitely have to do some next year.

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

birder....ref. the Zaluzianskya c., yes it was fragrant and had bunches or flowers but I remember it was shorter...and the resedia, ya not the prettiest of all flowers...but it was soo fragrant and it does reseed. My first batch of both plants were started under lights inside in winter, potted on (6 packs), then out in the spring. Don't remember the Z. coming back from seed, but the migionette did....it was starting to make a patch but then I moved....that was about 10 years ago (ish), and I'm just now getting around to adding it again...Was hoping for it to reseed (the Resedia but the deer munched it as the seed was developing and ripening....so not sure if any got to the ground but did send for more and just recieved from Select Seed a week ago...it was on sale at 40-50% off. No, not that aggressive, but could be if you let it go for a gazillion years...lol, would be easy to pull tho.

carol...hate to say it but the orientals are stronger in fragrance than the trumpets..........ooops! If you don't mind a tall plant try Nicotiana sylvestris, they are wonderfully fragrant in the evening....and the only fragrant nicotiana are USUALLY from seed...Most nurseries don't care if they sell frag. or not. Look into N. sandersae,24-30", reseeds year to year (again Select Seeds or T&M.com). And gosh if you find that you still have some of those trumpets yet, send to me.....lol...what would you like in return...lol.
The Iris you are referring to is Iris palida I believe (grapes), I have it, it's a light purple and I just love it, (came from my sister who has since passed and I will cherish it forever), can do a trade in the spring...remember to contact me... (I have a hundred or so of various Iris and many, many are fragrant and different colors).The other is Iris palida Zebra or something like that... (stripe is yellowgreen/green and another is whitegreen/green, both also have the same flower and that grape fragrance...tho there are others also...Oh you lucky.......V. carlesii, burkwoodii and juddii....are ALLLLLLL on my most cherished want list. I just love those..every year I go to the Denver Botanic Gardens just to smell.....

The thing about fragrance though...it is subjective, also some factors such as climate, soil, heat, zone all are factors in how fragrant things are,how sweet or sour the soil is )(PH), can play into it.. Here in my semi arid zone 5-6, in Colorado...fragrance may not carry as much as in some humid areas. Also my evenings in the summer cool quickly after sunset....over night lows in mid summer only range 55-65* (6800ft). Some great prices can be gotten at Gilbertwild.com, and B&Dlillies.com. I've gotten from both and was PLEASED. (B&D breeds them too so they always have new ones..)

Polly...yes the newer varieties of lilies just don't seem to be as strong as the Orientals or the Trumpets, although they are crosses with both and the non fragrant asiatics usually.. If you're looking for a spring phlox with great fragrance look into P. divaricata types, only 18", but yummmmm!

Wonderwoman LOL...Good thing most were only in 1 galllons, only a few(few....what am I thinking ...was more like 35-40) were in 5's or larger.....And with the ground having been rototilled first it wasn't as hard as you all think, I went 12" deep, it is only the 5's and larger that got me tired....those roses were yuchy to dig...I didn't get as deep as the 5 gallon pots tilling....don't think anything has been that deep before...remember this was just a rural feild.... I was a good girl and ammended every planting hole with peatmoss..more in the acid lovers and several globs of those water absorbing crystals for each plant., now I need to get things deeply watered. Actually, I think I'm almost done for the season, I'll see, if I can get more perenns in... but most of the shrubs I wanted to plant in are now, total to today is 108. I'm just not ready to start a whole new area this late in the season. Groppleing here today...was trying to snow but just not quite there yet. Kathy.

This message was edited Nov 10, 2012 6:28 PM

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Fragrance is subjective I guess, the trumpets are much more fragrant to me than the orientals. And some of the newer crosses like the OTs are even more so. But the LAs are crossed with only longiflorum (Easter lily) and asiatic and are much more subdued. My granddaughter has a cutting garden, and those are her favorite.

It seems in spring I have plenty of fragrant things, and that's why I like the phlox paniculata so, it's later in the season.

This message was edited Nov 10, 2012 9:10 PM

Olathe, KS(Zone 5a)

Stark delivered the 4 fruit trees this morning - 1 day shipment - wow! I soaked them then planted them in case we could not do it tomorrow. They look healthy. May add some kind of root stimulator - they recommend theirs but too late. This place has a small but sunny back yard but it is really starting to look great (to me). When spring comes - flowering trees really make a difference. I have tons of fancy daffodils, mainly the so called pink ones. Then comes the iris, roses, and then daylilies. I have no peonies yet - want only one I had before - Vivid Rose, a double pink.

Might look at old fashioned roses for fence area - used to have several - most are once blooming but smell really good. Liked repeat bourbon Mme Isaac Pereire - might be good for fence with trellis. For fragrance, almost got Sharifa Asma but it was out of stock. It is still on my list.

Nicotiana sylvestris Only the Lonely is what I had as plants and will winter sow. It is supposed to be the most fragrant. I just have not caught it when it was.

Landscape fabric now down for patio area. 1/2 the cedar mulch bags needed now on fabric ready to be opened. Teen helper will be over tomorrow - if it rains we can still get the rest of the cedar mulch. Hope we have some hours before the predicted rain so those oak leaves from 2 giant trees can get shredded. Will plant the 2 new daffodils to get them off my to-do list. Spotted places on back door threshold that need caulking and touch up paint - it never ends. To-do list is getting much smaller - hard to believe. I have been at this since June. I now think I will be ready for winter. (Then I will touch up the inside of the house where it is needed.)

The oriental lily is now on probation. I did not know they were worse than trumpets. It is good I have tried so many different plants in the past so I can narrow this garden down. Many of you on this thread have much, much bigger gardens than me - I could not handle all you have done. This lot is only 0.2 acre. But that is enough. I almost got a place that was 3/4 acre and would have to mow a lot. I will not mow if there is any roundup left in the universe. Just kidding - kinda. Front yard now in clover, back yard in mulch and beds. I win.

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

lol carol...good for you!!!! I'm not wanting to mow either...that's why so much plant material is going in. And just for your info the N. s. only the Lonely is fragrant in the evenings til early morning. During the day scent is not noticeable...tho they have a newer one out...... sorry... , I better read up on it before I say anything...lol. I do know some of the newer ones have flowers that are upfacing during the day but N. sandersae 'Heaven Scent' most of their flowers hand down til early evening-8-9-10 am ish. (and on cloudy days). And do you have seed for the N. sylvestris?

Polly...I just love all the lilies sooo, I've got bunches and bunches planted but the deer have been eating them so if I ever get to where I can keep them out..... I see just the stocks...as soon as they set bud...chomp and they are gone....ONE DAY tho!!!!!! I do have a Lily formosiana (Lancer Lily) (think I got seed from Park Seed. Is a shortie at about 8-10", looks just like an Easter Lily on a SHORT stalk, but the fragrance is just wonderful.......They don't usually see this one so leave it for me, but alas, I have to get on my knees to smell it...lol. Will have to see if I have a seed pod this year and will collect, they were easy to grow under lights inside (winter). If I find a pod will post if any might like to try, or might even have some seed from a few years ago if any are interested.....(they have never seeded outside for me....). Pix on other 'puter at home, try to remember to post later.

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Deer just seem to know when buds are forming.Not just liliums but DL's as well. I spray like mad and have had good luck seeing lilies bloom with regular treatment.

Thumbnail by ge1836 Thumbnail by ge1836
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Warrior, it's a small world! I grew Lilium White Lancer from Park Seed years ago. I had to keep it in pots in my zone here, I would start it in January indoors, and it would bloom in September, extending my season. Must do that again. I got a bunch of similar seeds from NALS and used to grow a few different Formosanum/longiflorum crosses. I had to bring them in for winter but every year they would produce more flowers.

Don't you love the way lilies and roses add color and scent and extend your season? I actually had to pull out my nikkis a couple of weeks ago to make room for something else. I just threw down the seed and they took. And I still had borage and feverfew rocking out near the base of Heritage a few days ago. I put feverfew plants around the yard to provide some bloom (actually dug them up from my old house) and they really did perform.

Cool seeing them with the autumn leaves.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack
(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

I like Nicotiana Alata for fragrance. It goes for me all season. N Sylvestris starts so slowly, and doesn't come into its own until much later in the season. I decided not to do it next year. I do looooove N Langsdorfii, the little green bells... Not sure about fragrance though. Our layout gives good visual, but you have to go into the garden to smell it.

Olathe, KS(Zone 5a)

I really like the Easter Lily (longifolium) fragrance. Just looked it up and seems many people can grow it around zone 5. So if I buy a blooming one (just one) at Easter, then put it in a large pot for outside, do you think it will come back later? I will do this!

It has been years since I burned out on trumpet lilies. The scent was so overpowering I cannot remember if it was good but too much. I really wanted the lily Silk Road (gorgeous) but saw it was oriental x trumpet - so would this one be overpowering too?

I did plant an LA lily (Courier) at previous house but had to stake it (too shady area). It was not very fragrant. The stalks were really thick. Lots of blooms in the semi shade though.

So, I went to B&D website to see what they had left.
Lankon - easter x lankongense, droops, spotted july 3-5', lovely scent
Arbatax - asiatic hybrid, pk/white center, june 3-5', light scent
Strawberry Cream - asiatic hybrid, pk center/white edge, june 3-4', no scent
Candy Club - orienpet hybrid, pk center, w edge, july 3-4', sweetly fragrant
Siberia - oriental hybrid, white, july 3-4', sweet scent

If I get just one of the fragrant ones, it should be safe - right? I planted many, many trumpet lilies before when they almost got me - choke, choke.

Sylvestris was just beginning to come when the Casablancas bloomed. They're nowhere in sight for the Asiatics.
You can see how far from the house they all are in the long view..

Thumbnail by Pfg Thumbnail by Pfg Thumbnail by Pfg
Olathe, KS(Zone 5a)

I plan to winter sow the following nicotiana:
Perfume Antique Lime - 20" intoxicating perfume at night
Sylvestris Only the Lonely 4-5' intensely fragrant jasmine like perfume at night

I looked up the tall green one, Langsdorfii, and will try it next time. Looks great! Like green flowers. Thanks.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Carol,

I was trying to buy the lime green nicotiana but it was sold out. I grew it once upon a time, and I remember that it was scented, and quite nice.

Pam, what a gorgeous display of Casa Blancas!

Silk Road is not overpowering. I've had it in more than one setting. Outdoors, some distance from the house, and on my patio in the process of being transplanted to my new home. The photo in front of the burr oak had THREE of the plants, and they were never offensive (the other lilies are White Henryi, a trumpet, Acapulco, a fabulous Oriental (from B&D) and of course nicotiana alta . I did not find it overpowering in any case. And wow it's tough. It just has to be placed well, since the stem is very thick.

But if you want to try a beautiful, refined, delicately scented oriental trumpet cross, please consider Anastasia. It is on sale at Brent and Becky's bulbs NOW:

https://store.brentandbeckysbulbs.com/spring/productview/?sku=31-0139

I thought, honestly, that orienpets were crass. It changed my mind.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack

Here's a couple of pics, and one of N Alata Fragrant Cloud with a few other whites.

Thumbnail by Pfg Thumbnail by Pfg Thumbnail by Pfg

I swore no more lilies because of the spraying for red beetles... But those are really, really tempting!

Olathe, KS(Zone 5a)

Finally got good rain - lasted for hours. Now freezing again. Think I will wait til spring for more lilies. No time to prep soil and not enough containers for new ones. Thanks for all the good advise. Ready to hibernate. Except for the 2 daffodils to plant and 20 bags of mulch to lay out and many oak leaves to move and .....

I will get ONE fragrant lily like Silk Road next spring and try it out before I get more. I really do not want 6 ft or higher lilies - pain to stake and to cut down later. I have several asiatic lilies already in containers.

I really have to stop ordering plants and seeds. There are things I want for next spring, along with the 7 more fruit trees coming. Thanks all.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Pam: your gardens are just lovely.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh, I definitely would not order any lilies now. You are wise.

I'm with you on staking lilies. But there are some lilies that "bow" quite gracefully. Here is Anastasia, in full sun, completely unstaked, "bowing".

Speaking of daffodils!

You know, Pam, if anyone wants to organize a huge activity, they should hire you. I very much admire that you have done so much of the work yourself. I can only do it if I break it down in pieces. You go whole hog!

I got the most outrageous, huge, double nosed Mt. Hood daffodils from Old House Garden. They were ridiculously large. Each side of the nose was bugger than a standard daff bulb. I put in 5 at my old house and they turned into 20 in no time. Now I remember why.

I cheated by adding to my spring orders. I have four roses coming. then. I justify it in my mind because I will not be charged until then. I finally finished my parkway today. Three sections of sidewalk in front of my house, damaged for twenty plus years, were replaced at no cost to me due to the kindness of the king of Streets and Sanitation (nice note to him and the mayor), but it meant tilling the parkway, then thatching it, then laying down top soil. Tasks quite hard on the back. I have decided to wait until spring to seed, and then, once all has settled, Constance Spry, the gigantic rose, will go in. I could have planted a tree, but we have overhead power lines which would expose anything I really want to civic butchery, so instead I will plant a something beautiful and scented that will greet passersby. I can't wait.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Donnamac: There is something so special about lilies.
I spent the afternoon marking where the ones are that didnt come up and bloom last summer after the odd spring.

Thanks for the kind words! This is the first year I really feel it's coming together. There are some vignettes I'm happy with, and plant material has multiplied enough-- and I've bought and started enough from seed- to finally get some cohesion into the plantings. I love the eccentricity of English gardens, little -and big- surprises coming up everywhere, volunteers welcome, and this property is perfect for that. At the same time, I had to tame the wilderness. It's been quite an endeavor. Last year I finally had more beds planted than dead from Roundup. I still study the old pictures to find ideas about form, among other things. New plantings are so low! Originally there were phlox, tall white achillea, daylilies, Siberian Iris and other lovelies which had somehow come up or survived in the middle of thickets of invasives, and they succumbed under my new regime. Now it's hard to remember where there used to be height, bright color...

But it's definitely coming along. And the site is so special it's worth all the work. My goal, though, is low maintenance, so anything that needs extra care is out. I will spray the lilies I have, and love them, but would rather find more toughies for the big picture. My most recent discovery is Platycodons. I always thought they were difficult, but they love it here. And I finally found out how to get them going from seed, so there will be a lot more of them in the future. Another goodie is DIanthus. I plan to get them going in January under lights so they'll have a ittle substance by spring.

And for fragrance, Phlox likes it here, too. I've banished the magenta to the fringes, but love whites and lavenders, which I've bought, and the pink one that was here that looks like Bright Eyes.

Pics on the next post...

First is P Miss Tilly, borderline hardy here, in her 3rd summer
Second is P Hakone White, a double, only one plant. I got it from Lazy S, had it in a pot, and it only flowered once. In the fall I thought it was dead, but stuck it in the ground anyway, and voila!
Third, that gorgeous blue. This fall, ther was one last flush ( not this one) just before frost. It's only year 2 for this one, high hopes for next year. And the double blues I did from seed should kick in, too.
... And some phlox..,

Thumbnail by Pfg Thumbnail by Pfg Thumbnail by Pfg Thumbnail by Pfg
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Ge, how funny! I was doing the same thing the other day. I'm adding edging plants and was carefully marking where my lily babies from last year are. This January I want to start some longiflorum/formosanums from seed so that I will have lilies in fall. I haven't done that in years and I realize how I miss it. Also, the lilium candidums I started from seed a while back should bloom this spring. It was NALS seed raised by the late, great Ed MacRae, and is called 'Cascade Strain', supposedly tougher and more disease free.

I finally realized that my determined deadheading of my platys was robbing me of new plants. I was not able to be so compulsive about deadheading them this year, and what do I find? Baby platys! The ones that look like little carrots. I carefully dug under them, placed them in my new yard, and marked them, and they are fine. I now have a tray of them from seed, and am allowing them to mature. I may pot them up over winter. Blue, white and mother of pearl. I love those plants.

But Miss Tilly? Who is this lady?

She's a dwarf! They say 6-8," and she's only hardy to z 6-8. Mine doesn't get enough sun and is in a crowded bed full of huge rocks. I'd move her, but who know where her roots are-- I'd probably kill her. This year she put out 2 10" stems that flowered on and off all summer. I took seeds this year and plan to see what she'll do in a better spot.

Thumbnail by Pfg Thumbnail by Pfg

Donna, because of a picture you posted I went on line and found mother of pearl seeds. I can't wait to add them into the mix!

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

They are WONDERFUL! I grew them with several tender and one hardy salvia in pink and white.

In the second pic there is actually culinary salvia to the left that blooms pink (rosea) and there is a pink rose on the right. I love color echoes - two or three plants in a couple of different shades. The salvia nemerosa Rose Queen at the base is a bit spent, but here is a better pic - and it's grown from seed. The ones I bought always died. The ones I grew thrived (go figure).

Lovely with roses and allium christophii. I'm trying to recreate something of this effect in my new yard, alas, without the grasses! I love pink and white with different textures.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

My platycodon tends to get nasty looking at the base. Maybe overwatering?

Is the sage actually named rosea, Donna? Love it!

I like echoes, too. I've been playing with purples in one area, blues in another, strong pinks in a third. It's fun, some combos work better than others. Purples can get very somber. It doesn't help that that bed is at the far end of the long border, pretty far from the house. I'm adding some pops of brighter colors to pep it up. Blues are hard, in their own way they are very bright. But I love them, so I'll keep working at it.

We also have those huge daylily beds down the middle that dominate when they are blooming, and the other borders have to compete or be overshadowed by them. The DLs have to stay, says J. The former owner (mid 30's to 70's) was a hybridizer, and many are his accomplishments- un-named, as far as I can find out. But they belong here, so they stay.

Today I planted another 60 Daffs, bought on impulse at HD yeaterday, with my trusty cordless drill and the huge augur I bought last year. Took no time at all. Love it.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Pam: I have Hakone White plats.I love mine.Its been here for 3 years but hasnt increased much. I see you have a lot of Ginger. I also have it and find it invasive.It sprouts in the middle of perenns. and just takes over.
The mother plant has been banished to "no mans land" That area is looking better than some of the vignettists I agonize over,"who knew"

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Pix 1 Lily formosa Lancer, Donna...they are hardy in z5, I have some at my daughter's garden which is a z5b, and here at my z6a garden where this pix was taken.

Carol...the lilies they sell as potted Easter Lily (longifolium)plants are forced....You can get one and attempt to grow it, the ones they use to force are a different species, I do know lilium Regale is a Trumpet lily, bit different and definately hardy in z5. If you try one of those that was forced put it in an area that can keep it warmer, ie. south side of the house close to the foundation, it might work. Plant extra deep (6-8") and mulch, do not cut the foliage back, leave it mature til stalk turns brown and the can remove. (One way to get bulbs for free is to check local churches or sometimes garden centers or grocery store after Easter and get free or marked down drastically, Lowes and Home Depot too.)

Polly...I have Salvia nemerosa rosea Rose Queen (pix 4), seed or plants if you'ld like to try in the spring.....give me a hollar in Aprilish. (also have blue Blue Queen if interested. pix 2.)

Ok...and who's looking for Dianthus seed? I have Dianthus grationopolitanus (Bath's Pinks or Cottage Pinks, pix 2 lower left and pix 3), also Dianthus deltoides Zing (pix 5). Send me a d-mail, will ship.....Kathy

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Kathy, that's very kind of you.

Yes, I would love a plant. I don't do much with seeds. But I know I can find something to trade with you. Thanks!!!! I'll put you on my calendar for late April. We don't lose our snow here until then.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Warrior, amazingly enough a friend gave me several hardy geraniums, and at the bottom of the pot there were these very familiar looking things that I recognized as being bulbs with at least some formosanum in them, having grown them from seed myself. I called the person, who said basically, oh yes, those are formosanums I've been nursing. I immediately offered to return them but the person said no. Which is incredible, since they are of a size such that they will bloom next year. I didn't want to take a chance with leaving them in the garage, so they are potted up in my garage.

A lovely person in Alaska sent me some lilium speciosum alba she did not believe are going to bloom, and they are there too, along with two tender hydrangeas and a mystery peony I found about six inches down, budded but not blooming. I spoke to the people who lived here for 20 years and they did not put the peony in, so it must be a relic from at least 25 years ago, planted when there was till sun in the yard.

They are now all nestled under a quilt, and getting water once a month. As you can imagine, I can't wait till spring!

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh, oh!

Just got an email from B&D lilies. They have a "dented" sale of blooming sized bulbs. Amongst them is a bulb I resisted with all my might. Speciosum Uchida. I had it in my old yard. Sets of three.

Oh dear! It's on it's way. Going into pots like the Speciosum alba that was a gift. Speciosum needs more acid soil, so it will join the other in a pot in the garage.

Bad!

(Zone 4b)

Quote from DonnaMack :
Oh, oh!

Oh dear! It's on it's way.

Bad!

Donna, I used to feel guilty about the money I spent on plants...a ridiculous amount each season. But it really is a wonderful worthwhile redeeming way to spend one's time. There are so many other things in my life I can legitimately feel "bad" about...but not gardening.

Olathe, KS(Zone 5a)

Just ordered B&D Lilies - to come NOW. Will I see you at the n step meeting?

Lankon - easter x lankongense, spotted droop, July 3-5', lovely scent 1x
Strawberry Cream - asiatic hybrid, pk center/white edge, June 3-4', no scent 1x
Candy Club - orienpet hybrid, pk center, w edge, July 3-4', sweetly fragrant 1x - one cannot be overpowering, right?
Spec Album - white droop, Aug-Sept 3-4' , light fragrance (dent sale) 3x
Little White Kiss - white asiatic double, June 3-4', no scent (dent sale) 6x

Will put in large pots where I was growing food crops like lettuce.

Took a while to order - kittens had unplugged my keyboard.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I guess I shouldn't feel too terrible. SOMEBODY had to give those poor dented lilies a home.
Did I mention the 6 camassia semiplena I rescued from a sale at White Flower Farm, and just put in? I paid $25 for 5 years ago and was able to get 6 for a third of that price. They were under a linden at my old house. Here, I put them under a cherry tree.

And speaking of kitties and computers. The people who owned my home until last December, when they moved to New Zealand, left behind with me their two cats, ones of which is an 8 year old Siamese named Sophie. She loves to creep onto my computer keyboard because it's warm, often shutting it down.

No matter how I chastise her, she still does it. So here is a picture of Sophie against two images of pictures I took of her on the computer. Note that she has made her way even further onto the keyboard!

I have never ordered so many plants on sale after the close of the season. I just tell myself that if I had waited until spring to order them the cost would have been much higher. Like Sophie, I chastise myself for doing things - and then do them anyway!

(Zone 4b)

So Donna I take it you are a "cat person" (as well as a gardener)? What a woman!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.