What new plants have you just put in the ground?

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

OH Yes., I chastise myself all the time over plants,learning to less and less as time goes on. Kitty I don't anymore ,he likes to help me type and dig so I it happens anyway.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

OH Yes., I chastise myself all the time over plants,learning to less and less as time goes on. Kitty I don't anymore ,he likes to help me type and dig so I it happens anyway.
This is Camo a feral adopted ,will be a teenager next year My favorite weeds Chicory,and Coneflowers

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Olathe, KS(Zone 5a)

This is my 4th garden and 3rd orchard. I have practiced a lot. Killed some plants more than 3 times (usually blue flowered ones).

Too many plants now out of commerce. Prices sky high for those I can find. If I had not taken so many plants from my sold house, I would have very little. I saved a bundle when I moved many plants in pots. Also saved a bundle when I used the latest sales (plant costs and/or shipping cost). I will not pay $15 for a plant I think should cost only $3 (like brunnera with only green leaves). And most of the shipping costs are gigantic. But I paid a fortune for tree trimming, landscape materials, and house repairs.

So, I am now waiting for 5 types of lily bulbs - very soon. Looking forward to new types. Thanks.
In spring will get 7 fruit trees and more plants/bulbs (early orders).
In winter I will start winter sowing.
Around Easter, I will try to plant Easter lilies from stores.

I use a spreadsheet and am now having trouble imagining what I have and where I will plant new stuff - I have a fairly small lot.
I still want lily silk road and may try lily anastasia too.

Helper finished cheap cedar mulch patio (not great but will have to do) and most of the leaf blowing/shredding (worked well). Today is caulk the garage outside day (needs it) and root stimulator day for all new shrubs and trees. And those new pesky daffodils I cannot seem to put in the ground. This may be last day for helper this year - he was a godsend.

That bunny fence had better work. Plan on lots of delphiniums next year. Thanks all for your advice. In the past I had little time to garden well; often had to use a flashlight to see anything when I got home. Now that I have time I want to dabble in new areas like dwarf conifers - especially the blue ones - bet you guessed that. Onward. Carol

(Zone 4b)

Quote from carolmo :
and am now having trouble imagining what I have and where I will plant new stuff - I have a fairly small lot.

That is the rub for many of us Carol...sigh. After next year my garden area will be fixed. It will be a new feeling for me i.e. only maintaining rather than exciting expansion.

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Warmed up today so I got these planted....
4 Spiarea j. Shirobana
9 Peonies (mixed)
3 Roses Pink Knockout
63 Iris purple and white. (I just got a couple of days ago when I took my grandaughter to basketball practice, got to talking with one of the moms and she said she just divided and planted and had all these and didn't know what to do with them, needless to say I offered to give them a home and thoroughly enjoy them..lol.)
10 Iris, 2 different purples.
More nice weather tomorrow.....gosh I think I'll plant something...Kathy

pix; annual reseeding Rudbeckia

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Are sure you do not have Super girl or Wonder woman working for you? Goodness,, are your Bees Butterflies and Hummingbirds going to be happy!!!^_^ ^_^ ^_^
Along with all our eyes and yours when all that blooms, !! Hey I got it!!! I know, A perfume factory..wow!!

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

It's funny, placing things. I definitely overordered. I have the joy of having preserved many plants from my old home. What joy! It was a mature garden. But there are simply things I want that remind me of why I got into gardening.

I have had the great good fortune to have my front parkway redone. A tree had basically destroyed and cracked the sidewalk, creating hazard, and the previous owners of 20 years had been very passive about it. I put in multiple requests for repair that were ignored. Then I spoke with a wonderful woman from the city who noted three work orders - and no action. So she gave me the name of the Streets and Sanitation God. A lovely man. I talked to him, and he promise me repair within three weeks. I got it in two. In the meantime, I used roundup twice and I rented a 9 hp tiller and got the soil old weeds out (I had already removed about 500 dandelions out.) Then I ordered top soil and spread it and thatched. It took ages. It was such physical work that I had to break it down in pieces. And at the end of last week I decided to seed in spring.

Picture 1 is before. September 13. Bees had built a nest on the right side, and an animal went after the honey.

Picture 2 is during the work. September 26.

Picture 3 is completion on the same date.

Picture 4 is the tiller I got to remove the soil. I was trying to put down new seed. I put down top soil.

Picture 5 - they came back and sodded the entire parkway. No waiting for spring! This was November 15. None of this cost me a cent!

When I asked them about it, they said that I had obviously worked so hard to make it nice that that, although they were not supposed to, they sodded the entire parkway. I wrote thank you emails. I love my new community.

Now I have plans for the parkway. On the easement at home, I had peonies and lilacs and hydrangeas. My plan for this - Constance Spry. I will surround it with nepeta and salvia as I did at home. From divisions. Since it is in full sun, maybe some of the roses I had before.

I've had my nose in catalogs all day.

Mind you, this is NOTHING compared to Warrior. I have NO IDEA how you do it all.

Today I put in alliums and found some more lilum speciosum. And potted up my platycodons. Ah, we gardeners, trying to get it all in asap so it can mature into beautiful stuff (onstance Spry is on order).

Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Olathe, KS(Zone 5a)

You all are enablers.

Kathy - you are a super hero for sure. I could/would not do all that when I was young.

B&D sent me an email to get double bonus if I ordered just a little more. So I did.
Cocossa - orienpet w/gold 3-4' July Aug
Ormea - orienpet w/pink, 3-4' July
2 unknowns as bonus

No - I am not going to dig more - done with that (til spring).
Will merely put hand in potting mix, make a hole, place bulb there. Hah! Of course, I might have to get more pots and mix.

Finished caulking - today is rooting hormone day - the easy way - with dial sprayer on hose. I can learn.

I have learned a lot from you guys. Thanks.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Great job on the walk Donna. Are the new plants going between the sidewalk and the street?

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Some ornamental grasses, maybe?

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Yes, ge. It's a big, empty space. It screams to be filled. I can't put any tall tree there, because of power lines. Lots of people have put plants on their easements, but sometimes with no thought to the effects of the sun. There are lots of burned up hostas.

I am definitely putting in Constance Spry - it's already ordered - and I want to decided whther to surround it with the kind of low maintenance perennials I had before - lot of nepeta and salvia. It was very easy to take care of, and it was pretty spectacular. And this is the only place where there is room.

Here it is end to end. Ideas are welcomed!!! It's about ten feet long!

Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh, I started my response and put it on hold. Yes! Ornamental grasses. I had 55 before.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

You might be surprised when other neighbors start putting small gardens in their easments too.That happened in my old neighborhood when I planted mine.

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

LOL...Donna I don't understand ...You just had them sod that and your going to dig it up or just a few planting spaces like across the street (3 trees spread apart)?

You all are tooo kind..lol. Super Girl checking in. Whew, another long one today. I planted 3 Spiarea j. Magic Carpet, 3 Spiarea j. (x bulmalda) Goldmound, 1 Taxus baccata Repandens and 8 peonies. It got a bit breezy so i called it a day when the loose peat moss started blowing in my face. Yuck!!! I keep telling myself....just a little bit more.......1 large tree, 8 or so peonies and 1 shrub... then I would need to rototill to get more in the ground.....So I'm debating with myself to line out a bunch of the perenns I have in pots, or my Iris I have in pots or..........lol. I do have more shrubs that I just won't get to this season so they are being tucked up close to the house on the north side behine a 40ft blue spruce for the winter...shucks!

'Spose to be sitting for the gkids next week, not sure what days I will have off, Part of Thurs., Fri. and the weekend, Forecast is calling for 50*, hope so.....gosh I sure would like to finish up for the season. Will try to remember to get pix tomorrow before I begin lining out perenns and or Iris as they will just go in where ever I can find open ground for the winter. The area I want my perenn garden in the back still has alot of grass roots that was rototilled in, didn't get all the roots so am thinking Roundup in the spring and then i can move the perenns to their new home. But until then, am placing perenns where there is open ground and no roots.....I got plenty of it between the shrubs as they were only 1 gallons on most where the soil is good and no roots to dig thru....

Have any of you had any luck with seeding in sunflowers in the fall and allowed them to sprout in the spring? I was thinking of seeding the area I have the worst washout come July (if we get a nasty storm), since the shrubs are too small to help yet.. I have a wild sunflower that seems to reseed itself but I want to put in the Mamoths, and I'm not sure I will remember come spring to do it in time...lol...like I need something else yet this fall....egads.......lol.

pix: cosmos...maybe I'll throw some of these seeds too! En mass these are fragrant also...yum, yum, yum!!!!

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Squirrls find the sunflowers here.DD has let the heads just drop seeds but not many plants in spring.
Cosmose sound great,I love them massed but dont do it here because I am running out of room.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Warrior, absolutely I will dig. But for now it will be one planting space. That's what I did at my old house in the pics. This was all sod. Ten feet across and the length of the house. We seeded the lawn, but they sodded the easement. See the stuff inside the granite boulders? All easement! The three lilacs? All easement. Ditto the hydrangeas. I had 14 peonies on the easement. All that planting space made my mouth water.

I noticed something odd. When the easement was bare, people would allow their dogs to do their business there. At the end of winter it was gross. Once I put plants on it, 95% of people curbed their dogs. The occasional idiot or poorly trained child would allow their dog to go over to a hydrangea and start lifting its leg, but a firm "would you curb your dog, please?" did the trick.

I'm not going to do anything this extreme, but I think one huge rose would rock. I put in Constance Spry in 2008. Here it is in 2011. And mind you, it didn't bloom in 2008 because I purchased it in April and it's a once bloomer.

It's really a tree substitute. Ad frankly, it gets so huge there is not a lot of room for anything else.
Something big, beautiful, scented, tough and low maintenance. I would only dig one hole. I'm going to try to restrain myself.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack
(Zone 4b)

This thread started in August and it is now 3 months later and still going strong. Kathy and Donna you gotta take a nap....you are making the rest of us look old and 'feeble'!

This message was edited Nov 18, 2012 9:04 AM

Olathe, KS(Zone 5a)

Kathy and Donna are gardeners extraordinaire. I am amazed at what humans can do when they want to. I bought 10 more flexible tubs for the coming lilies because I cannot conceive of digging more holes now. They were hard to find because of the Christmas stuff out now. And - I am going to look at my easement (8') and see what if anything I can do later - yes, I said later, not this year. Groan.

I am thinking I can put some of my new plants (lilies - maybe in their tubs) and wintersown plants (columbine, alchemilla) in the front semi shady yard. Might need to get more dwarf daffodils - got more tete-a-tete at Lowes - will look at Home Depot. Thanks guys. Have never seen so much good info.

(Zone 4b)

Quote from DonnaMack :
Here it is end to end. Ideas are welcomed!!! It's about ten feet long!

Donna et al you gotta read this blog by "Scott". He did this past spring and summer just as you are contemplating.

Read here + all the comments: http://www.rhonestreetgardens.com/2012/02/andwere-off.html

"Rhone Street Gardens" is a great blog for residential gardeners.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Carol an Rogue, you are really sweet.

I very much enjoyed the blog.

One thing to bear in mind about sod is that it takes YEARS for it to attach itself to the earth. Digging in a seeded lawn is hard, but when I was putting my first three peonies in the easement, I simply measured and then used a sharp shovel to cut circles. Even after 3 years the sod had not really attached. I put in more over the next two years and was able to pull up the sod by hand. That's why I really don't like sod, and why it has to be cared for. All of its nutrients are in about 3 inches of soil. I read that it takes 7 years for sod to attach itself to the earth and I'm sure it's at least 5. That's what made it so easy to plant in it.

Dear Carol, the easement is your opportunity to dream. I love lilacs. I already had five. But this gave me a chance to be really anal about what I wanted. I wanted a double blue lilac. I wanted it to be 12 feet tall. I wanted one that does not get mildew (yes, they exist!) I found all those characteristics except the doubleness in President Lincoln lilac. You have to understand. I'm REALLY a little nuts. I went to source after source about lilacs. Articles, library books. They help you rule out things you THINK you want because you find out that they have serious flaws. I found PL at Forest Farm. Little 12 inch tubes. I paid $18 and then loved them to death.

You would be amazed how much you can fit safely (for the health of the plants) in your yard if you like. I have a couple of really cruddy unidentifiable shrubs in the yard. The kind where you can see three separate stems trying to bluff their way into being shrubs. And they have the gall of being in full sun. I'm going to pull them out, or perhaps have the sweethearts who put in the sod do it. And then I can add a beloved viburnum or two.

What I would really love to do is pull out some of the blasted burning bushes. I have four! One of them is too mature but I have my beady little eye on the other three. And then I can install more grasses! Viburnums? What is life without viburnum carlesi in the spring? You can create your own little paradise.

I loved walking into my yard at the end of the day in summer with glass of something cool, and schmoozing with my plants in the yard. I loved looking out of every window and seeing something lovely.

I'm a garden nut! What can I say? I'm just really happy to pass on everything I know to other garden nuts in the making LOL!

Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Syringa Plus is a really nice place to get lilacs, also. Great selection. I've been buying from them for years, and highly recommend.

http://syringaplus.com/?page_id=36

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Just downloaded their retail list. Wow!

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

They are really nice. The owner, Roger was the head of the Arnold Arboretum for a time. So he knows his lilacs. You can always trust them to be true to name. And I love that they carry the Fiala lilacs. Do you have Father Fialas book on lilacs, Donna?

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Yes I do! I found it in the library, and it was so irrestsible that I purchased my own copy. I have visited Arnold. and it is amazing, especially if you love the stuff brought back by plant explorers like Henry Wilson. He's the guy who found lilium regale on a hillside in China.

I might need a dwarf lilac or two on that parkway, and they look like a great source!

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Wow, what a great source for lilacs!!! I see he has microphila (little leaf) which is a rebloomer. I'm thinking this is where our newer rebloomers came from. Speaking of which has anyone grown any of the rebloomers yet, ie Josie and the other (sorry can't think of the name...is it Boomarang?).

Speaking of the dwarfs Donna ....I have 5 to plant, S. p. Miss Kim. Might have to line them out as I'm running out of time. I did finish up today, 8 peonies, 1 Lonicera tatarica. Now I just have 1 large tree to go in, a 15 gallon, lol, I used a plastic tobagan to get it to the back yard, will get it done Fri or the weekend. Then it's back to lining out the rest. I won't get to this season, few trees, shrubs and hundreds of the perenns and Iris.

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Had to stop and download pix I took today. This is what I've been working on. So far about 120 trees, shrubs and peonies (33) so far. I sure hope it's pretty next spring!!!!

I will use the space between shrubs for lining out in certain areas and my wash area I will plant as many of the iris and seeds for sunflowers as I can...I don't have to worry about squirrels as there aren't any around here, with a lack of trees for them to hide in I'm just not squirrel friendly yet...lol.

The open areas in front will have a circular path and then planting areas for perenns. The gray hose (background) and the green hose (foreground) are possible path choices, not sure yet....I won't plant til I can 'Roundup' the remaining grass roots that come up in the spring.

Hey didn't Father Fiala also do some hybridizing of Lathrus (sweetpeas) too? Or am I confusing him with another priest?

Kathy

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
(Zone 4b)

Quote from warriorswisdomkathy :
This is what I've been working on. So far about 120 trees, shrubs and peonies (33) so far. [/quote]

I know it isn't right to covet thy neighbour's.....garden ;) but I am not ashamed to admit Kathy that I do envy you greatly! Here I am trying to find space for one measly single tree for next season (Acer shirasawanum Aureum aka "Golden Full Moon" Japanese Maple) and you are throwing around #s like 120....lucky you.

[quote="warriorswisdomkathy"] I sure hope it's pretty next spring!

I bet it will be spectacular but I won't believe it until I see pictures ;).

This message was edited Nov 19, 2012 6:36 AM

Olathe, KS(Zone 5a)

OK, I finally figured it out. 120 trees, shrubs, 33 peonies. Tons of perennials. Kathy is really a city. No single human could do all this. ;)

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

And all at once! I did a fraction of the work over several years.

I think Kathy has superhuman abilities. Did you see the second installment of X-Men? There was a guy who could multiply himself indefinitely so that he could do more than one thing at a time. It allowed for incredible feats. That's Kathy!

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

My goodness, Kathy!

I do grow Josee and Bloomerang. They do rebloom some with no care, but if you cut the first flowers off they will bloom again heavily. Miss Kim is not a dwarf here, it gets huge.

What perennials are you planning on?

(Zone 4b)

Quote from pollyk :

I do grow Josee and Bloomerang. They do rebloom some with no care

For sure that "Bloomerang" (or at least mine) is over-rated i.e. in terms of what it was advertised when it first came out several years ago. Mine will bloom every 5 weeks or so.

This message was edited Nov 20, 2012 6:21 AM

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Everyone keep their fingers crossed we get moisture come December-to spring.....Right now we are still almost 4" down for this year. I'm hoping for one big Bliz---- next month, I would like to take the rest of this year off to goof around inside. I know the kitchen remodel is still waiting to be finished but I want to just sit back and take a few weeks off before tackeling another project...
I'm hoping I get to start some seeds this winter, have to see what happens in a few weeks... Laid awake thinking of all the possibilities for my problem corner area. Next to the fence am thinking of the mammouth sunflowers (between Lilacs), then a row of corn (am thinking the stalks of corn would be pretty good sized by July 4th. And seeding in Cosmos for the next 5-7ft into the yard area. Second row of shrubs is 8ft from the Lilacs, (I planted things close so they would knit together, but my problem is holding the soil where it is... Second row in in that area is Viburnum plicatum var. tomentosa "Shasta" (6ft ^ x !0ft>), in front and to one side is Spiarea frobel Anthony Waterer (36-48"^x 36>), I'm thinking of things I have on hand that could be divided or seeded in. Need plants that are strong enough that could handle a hard rush of water over them, and possible hail (2 years in a row of 4-6" of rain and hail coming down the hill thru my yard, I don't know how much water that is but let me tell ya it's a bunch, the actual amount is staggering. The year before last the hail was 4-6foot deep in the ditches after it had been washed from properties above me, even washing out a section of the road the county had to come in and rebuild).. I have Daisies that get to 48"^ (Becky), that or Veronica spicata Sight Seeing Blue (28"^), probably needing 10-15 to fill in the space, (am lucky....lol, they need dividing) Both will bloom most of the season. And for filler around them til they filll in a bit seeding in some annual Poppies (something like Cedric Morris. Sorry, gotta go now will be back when I get home. Kathy

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

That is the id , the erg ,the ego...Me myself and I following modern sociology (almost modern) there are fifteen possibilities of each and every one of us as an individual...
I am believing Kathy has found a way to use all these , so she has fourteen helpers while gardening and doing chores
That' more than I have said in months ,....incredible!!!

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

LOL....juhur...you're funny... are you laughing with me or at me...lol. Only joking...No, truely I have a question but am also bouncing ideas off you gals... Who was it that said they had grown or were framiliar with the Viburnum plicatum 'Shasta'. My question is: will these shrubs bloom all summer or just for a month or so? The reason I ask is that if I use the veronica which is a mid blue....will it be seen because the shrub behind it will bloom most of the summer or will it be green leaves most of the summer? The Spiareas can bloom most of the summer if deadheaded. If the later, my veronicas would be lost as the distance from where the patio will be is about 75 ft (maybe more ). Pix 1 is a group of Veronicas (might be 3 or 4 ish), so would the color wash out and not be seen against the shrub leaves? This shrub is totally new to me so am unframiliar with it. And the flowers won't get planted til spring but wanna work on my plans this winter...if nothing else, in my own minds eye.....I'm here attempting to glean the information it has taken others years to aquire. Ok, will see what ideas come from library of minds here.....lol..Thanks for the input as it's appreciated..Kathy.
Pix 2-4: Smiley Faces of all my friends here...lol.

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

www.usna.usda.gov/Newintro/shasta.html With you of curse anyway, as always!! I will see if link copied for me .they rarely do! viburnum Shasta Because I dunno!!! lol

Olathe, KS(Zone 5a)

Put root stimulator on everything, especially the new fruit trees and new viburnums. Used hose end sprayer - so easy. Except for too many leaves not yet shredded, yard looking good. Ready to saw holes in new tubs and fill with potting mix for B&D lilies - coming soon - I hope.

Have bird feeding stations in window for cat and 2 kittens to watch - had put up concave mirror on one feeding pole to see front door from window - finally noticed birds missing. Duh! Dawned on me when heard a bird hitting the house or window. Removed mirror. May have to wait for new birds to come through. I will use mirrors for fruit trees later - heard about using old shiny CDs and gazing balls. Now I believe it.

Today I saw on forum that Van Engelen has sale of about 40%. Was looking for more dwarf daffodils - but all sold out. Ordered 10 lily Landini (2 on order elsewhere) , 5 lily lollipop (have some), 5 lily white pixtels, lily longiflorum white heaven Easter lily (yes), 3 eremurus white beauty 5' tall (killed previous ones - try again), 50 muscari b. superstar (periwinkle blue), 5 narcissus sinopel (green - always wanted this one). I get their catalog but usually they sell large amounts of bulbs, like 100. I can handle this. Have lots of flexible tubs and potting mix. The eremurus has to go in the ground. The muscari and narcissus will also go in the ground.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I have quite a few viburnums including Shasta. They don't bloom long.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Polly, what viburnums do you have?

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Shasta, Shoshoni, Blue Muffin, carlesii, Molly Schroeder, Mary Milton, Mariesii, Summer Snowflake, Watanabei, Popcorn. There may be a few others. Most of these I obtained as starter plants when selling plants from Spring Meadows.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Okay, I have missed out on the root stimulator with the garden hose? What's the deal? Also, what's the deal with the "tube" for lilies?

I planted 3 flats of pansies this weekend. Lowe's had them for 75 percent off. We also finished putting in the rest of the ordered bulbs.

I pulled weeds this weekend and today. I still have to put down the mulch. Weeds drive me crazy. I weed flower beds many times through out the spring through fall.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.