Photo by Melody

Perennials: What new plants have you just put in the ground?, 2 by DonnaMack

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright DonnaMack

In reply to: What new plants have you just put in the ground?

Forum: Perennials

Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of What new plants have you just put in the ground?
DonnaMack wrote:
It's funny, placing things. I definitely overordered. I have the joy of having preserved many plants from my old home. What joy! It was a mature garden. But there are simply things I want that remind me of why I got into gardening.

I have had the great good fortune to have my front parkway redone. A tree had basically destroyed and cracked the sidewalk, creating hazard, and the previous owners of 20 years had been very passive about it. I put in multiple requests for repair that were ignored. Then I spoke with a wonderful woman from the city who noted three work orders - and no action. So she gave me the name of the Streets and Sanitation God. A lovely man. I talked to him, and he promise me repair within three weeks. I got it in two. In the meantime, I used roundup twice and I rented a 9 hp tiller and got the soil old weeds out (I had already removed about 500 dandelions out.) Then I ordered top soil and spread it and thatched. It took ages. It was such physical work that I had to break it down in pieces. And at the end of last week I decided to seed in spring.

Picture 1 is before. September 13. Bees had built a nest on the right side, and an animal went after the honey.

Picture 2 is during the work. September 26.

Picture 3 is completion on the same date.

Picture 4 is the tiller I got to remove the soil. I was trying to put down new seed. I put down top soil.

Picture 5 - they came back and sodded the entire parkway. No waiting for spring! This was November 15. None of this cost me a cent!

When I asked them about it, they said that I had obviously worked so hard to make it nice that that, although they were not supposed to, they sodded the entire parkway. I wrote thank you emails. I love my new community.

Now I have plans for the parkway. On the easement at home, I had peonies and lilacs and hydrangeas. My plan for this - Constance Spry. I will surround it with nepeta and salvia as I did at home. From divisions. Since it is in full sun, maybe some of the roses I had before.

I've had my nose in catalogs all day.

Mind you, this is NOTHING compared to Warrior. I have NO IDEA how you do it all.

Today I put in alliums and found some more lilum speciosum. And potted up my platycodons. Ah, we gardeners, trying to get it all in asap so it can mature into beautiful stuff (onstance Spry is on order).