Photo by Melody

Perennials: What new plants have you just put in the ground?, 1 by warriorswisdomkathy

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright warriorswisdomkathy

In reply to: What new plants have you just put in the ground?

Forum: Perennials

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of What new plants have you just put in the ground?
warriorswisdomkathy wrote:
Pix 1 Lily formosa Lancer, Donna...they are hardy in z5, I have some at my daughter's garden which is a z5b, and here at my z6a garden where this pix was taken.

Carol...the lilies they sell as potted Easter Lily (longifolium)plants are forced....You can get one and attempt to grow it, the ones they use to force are a different species, I do know lilium Regale is a Trumpet lily, bit different and definately hardy in z5. If you try one of those that was forced put it in an area that can keep it warmer, ie. south side of the house close to the foundation, it might work. Plant extra deep (6-8") and mulch, do not cut the foliage back, leave it mature til stalk turns brown and the can remove. (One way to get bulbs for free is to check local churches or sometimes garden centers or grocery store after Easter and get free or marked down drastically, Lowes and Home Depot too.)

Polly...I have Salvia nemerosa rosea Rose Queen (pix 4), seed or plants if you'ld like to try in the spring.....give me a hollar in Aprilish. (also have blue Blue Queen if interested. pix 2.)

Ok...and who's looking for Dianthus seed? I have Dianthus grationopolitanus (Bath's Pinks or Cottage Pinks, pix 2 lower left and pix 3), also Dianthus deltoides Zing (pix 5). Send me a d-mail, will ship.....Kathy