Photo by Melody
Announcements
The ability to post new threads and comments is currently off-line. We are working to restore this feature.

Perennials: What new plants have you just put in the ground?, 5 by warriorswisdomkathy

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright warriorswisdomkathy

In reply to: What new plants have you just put in the ground?

Forum: Perennials

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of What new plants have you just put in the ground?
warriorswisdomkathy wrote:
Donna, what I would do if they were mine, I'm just sayin IF....I would grow them on a bit further. First set of leaves are not true, so after the first set of leaves or second, I would begin to pinch the plants. Put under stronger lights, and close, within a few inches. Personally , I use shop lights, Home Depot (under $12 for the unit and $2-6 for lights, depending on what you get, 1 warm and 1 cool is best but have gone with the $2 bulbs for both, next figure out a way to hang them. See pix, not suggesting you buid one but just an idea, I use cheap chain. Could get some 1x1 or 1x2, cut to 4ft lengths and build a table top system, ie rectangle, hang chain and lights. Chain allows you to adjust light height as they grow, helps with legginess. I grow many, many plants in each cell or pot and then divide into single cells, sometimes up to 50 (pix 3)

Next...after they put on a bit more heft, you can let the soil dry a bit (if too wet it's easy to break them, pop out of the cell and divide and repot into seperate cells or 11/2" pots, I always handle by the top set of leaves, gently.....From these I grew these (pix 4,5.). I just Love growing babies....What am I gonna do when I fill my gardens....?

I am sooo sorry....Lol...I meant to say how LOVELY your platys are, just scrumpious!!!!!!! I must say that is one thing I don't have in this garden yet, ooops, better do someting about that!!! But isn't soooo rewarding to see them fully matured! The plant that I am truely amazed by is Nicotiana sylvestris....Just a spec of a seed and by the end of the summer is 5ftx4ft.....and smells heavenly..Kath

This message was edited Oct 31, 2012 9:32 PM