BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS JULY & AUGUST 2012

tannum sands QLD, Australia

and Vr Nova
2 is grandkids with a couple of Queensland geen mulberries

This message was edited Aug 5, 2012 7:02 AM

Thumbnail by bromalong Thumbnail by bromalong

hi all. have a shocking headache tonight and aching body all over. sneezing and sniffling so I hope I'm not getting that flu. I'm off to have a warm bath and off to bed early.
Night all
Wendy

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Good morning. Sorry you are not well Wends, You don't need to pop in at all if you are feeling that bad. Hope its not the flu and you recover shortly.
Mike, what a pity there's not hair pups! I'll be satisfied with a seedling if you have success with pollination. Heh heh. Cheeky eh? Thanks for the info on pH. I was advised to always put a handful of dolomite in the mix, when making up a barrow full (about 80 litres of media) I don't have a resting (composting) period, but I rarely use all the mix at once, so guess it has a bit of time to use the nitrogen. I was using the choir orchid mix, which has fert added, but began using the pine bark chips last summer. I usually add a bit of fert to the mix on potting as well, either at the root zone (vrieseas and green leaved broms) or to the surface, (newly potted neos) I haven't taken notes, but most seem to do OK. I will pay a bit more attention to it this spring, and might get my ingredients on the go now, to give them a resting period before I go about potting any new pups, and up sizing others. The timing on your post is very good. The photos of the vrieseas are stunning. I haven't heard of V. 'Elifi Nathasa' before. Those mulberries? Jack fruit?
supposed to be another picture postcard day here, although the predicted 12 degrees this morning is off by -7 degrees! Darn it! I couldn't understand why they thought we would get 12 degrees anyway, and figured it had to be a misprint. Mind you, 5 degrees is the temps taken in town, and its probably more like 7 here I'd reckon.
Coffee time
Photo one is a small Vriesea labelled 'Golden Thread' from Leisas collection
Photo two is Vreisea carinata grown in high light.

Thumbnail by weed_woman Thumbnail by weed_woman
north coast nsw, Australia

bromalong- love your Vreiseas and are they Jak fruit? what do they taste like?

Queensland, Australia

hi everyone,
love all the photos and the info, I have never tested the PH of my mikx...hmmmm but then we don't use pine bark.... but still it would be interesting to check what it is. Thanks for the info Mike.
Yeah I'll join the que on that Alc Tarawera too, lol. Hmmmm can I ask, do you happen to know where I could buy one or are they quite rare over here? I just looked it up in the registry and wow, it really grows into an awesome Alc doesn't it? Very nice.

Ok before I forget, will anyone be interested in a few Werauhia sanguinolenta Rubra seeds in the not too distant future? If you are, let me know as mine has flowered and is setting seed.

I am always chasing seed, I would love to get hold of some nice Foliage Vriesea seed if anyone has any to spare/sell. Also Alc seed, and... I am just trying my hand at Tillandsia seed too, quite different to grow. I have never been to interested in Tills, but have found a little bit of an interest in them just lately, probably cause they take up so little space, lol. I got my first fairly big one the other week, well not huge, but one of them itty bitty teeny weeny ones, lol. It was given to me by another brom grower who doesn't know what it's called, but it came as an old flowered mum with a small pup growing out the side, the mum is about a foot tall and one of those stiff types of Tills. So anyway I've had it for a couple of months and have the pup off it now, just need to mount it on a piece of timber. Haven't thrown the mum in case she manages another pup, but I don't know if Tills do that or not, lol. Plus I'm not sure if the flower might set a bit of seed or if it's well beyond that, no idea.

Nev all my seeds from you are doing so very well, I have had a bit of a hit and miss learning curve with seed growing, I have tried a few different methods, killed a lot of seeds/seedlings and learned a lot. All those poor vrieseas I killed off in the process, dohhh! But I have my method that works best so far for me, so I'm not mucking with it anymore! LOL

I wanted to share a photo of a seedling that I got from Nev quite a while ago. He was so kind as to send me up some little seedlings, sadly a few of them died (sorry Nev) but I have done quite well with the rest. One in particular was struggling, lagging behind the rest and I thought, ohhh nooo, I'm going to loose another one. So I looked after it carefully and kind of babied that one along. Low and behold it started to show a bit of variegation... and then a bit more and a now it's just a stunning wee thing. Still just a little fella and lagging behind, as you would expect with a Variegate, but it's healthy and I think it's just the cutest thing.
My only question Nev, is what does Neo Thunderbird look like? No photo in the registry, and no one seems to have one to show me, lol. I have no idea what this little baby will grow up to look like, but I think it is just fantastic.
Nev..... Long live the hybridiser!!!!!
Also Wendy, you sent me some little seedlings too when I first started into seeds too, and they are looking great as well, much further advanced than any other seedlings I have as they were quite big when you sent them, well you know, inch leaf was a couple of inches long and of that size to have their own pots. They now have leaves that resemble neos and not green grass, lol. Many thanks to you as well, it is wonderful watching them grow and change shape. I'll have to get some photos of them too.
But for now, here is Nev's little wonder... I think it's just too cool.

Thumbnail by springer99
Brisbane, Australia

Hello all, hope everyone who’s crook is on the mend. It’s still so cold here in the mornings and evenings but nice days, except for a rather cool, rather strong breeze this arvo.

Mike and Wendy, the vriesea in my last post is one that I got from the markets, unnamed, so I don’t really know what it is but it is a nice one, hey. I bought a really nice one at Sunday’s market, it’s Vr Tiger Tim x Ospinae Gruberi … I’ll attach a pic ... love it.

Sue, I like your Vr Golden Thread … very nice.

Wendy, sounds like you are coming down with the dreaded flu. Hope you’re feeling better tonight. I’m still not 100% but trying to stay on top of it. A nice hot bath and an early night sounds good too.

Nev, Karen, Colleen, Johnny … get better soon too.

Till tomorrow, Shirley

Thumbnail by works4me
Coffs Harbour, Australia

good morning all.
Hi Tash, lucky you to get a variegated seedling! Wheres mine, Nev? heh heh. I have a few of Nevs thunderbird seedlings, so i will take a pic of a couple today. They are similar in shape to Little prince, but a rich, burgundy colour. I agree with you about the tills. I was never much into them, but they take up hardly any room, and you don't need pots or soil for most of them. They are quite easy to grow from seed too, just very slow, much like Vrieseas. Good luck with your old Mum throwing another pup. I'm not sure if they are up to it either? If it sets seed, it seems to take an awfully long time to mature. It seems that Tillandsias have all the time in the world?
I'm with you Shirley, in hoping that all the sickies are on the mend? Your V. ospinae Gruberi looks like a good one. I wish we had markets that sell decent ones around here!
Another cool start this morning, but promising to be another sunny day, so I have made ANOTHER list of jobs to do. I can't wait to get out there, but i really have to do a spot of housework, as I usually leave it for rainy days and I'm happy to say its quite messy now!
I'll leave you with a couple of pics from my friends garden, taken yesterday
Sue
picture one is a Richard Harper Vriesea
Picture two is Vriesea 'Rafael'
Picture three is Neo. 'Chilli Verdi'
Picture four is a group of colourful minis, sorry about the angle!

Thumbnail by weed_woman Thumbnail by weed_woman Thumbnail by weed_woman Thumbnail by weed_woman

Lovely sue, is that a pot of Sarracenias i see near chilli verdi?

hi all.
well we've had a very unusual couple of days. apart from being sick in bed today of course. but yesterday. we actually saved a neighbours life. yes litterally. as soon as it was over I promptly had to lie down out on the verandah and didn't know if I was going to be sick or pass out. ambos thought they were going to have another patient. I've never seen so much blood and apparently arterial blood is thick and chunky not fine liquid like we usually see. John our neighbour was cleaning out his fishtank and when he walked outside to tip the water out along the fence he slipped and fell, smashing the tank and cutting his wrist. Because I hadn't felt well all day we had gone upstairs at lunchtime and we were relaxing watching TV. But Johnny had decided to go down and splash some water around. If not John would have bled to death as he passed out after dialling 000. Lucky Johnny saw what happened and called out to me that he was going over to check if he was alright. he thought a broken wrist till he saw the blood. I had gone out on the verandah to watch and Johnny raced back out to yell for me to get over there quick. I had to dial 000 again and talk to them to relay what had happened. Luckily they had dispatched an ambulance as they heard Johnny when he walked in and said "Oh f..... John what have you done?" he got him to sit down and grabbed a towel to wrap around the arm but nothing we did would stop it spraying. Luckily the ambos didn't take too long and even they couldn't stop the blood. I had to ring 000 again to ask for "ICU care code 1 for uncontrolled bleed". The ICU paramedics made it from PA Hospital to Wello Pt in 15 mins. that's a feat believe me. Anyway I was ok while they were giving me jobs to do like writing down what they told me to record etc. as soon as there was nothing to do I started feeling queezy and had to sit in the hallway (only place with clean floor). That didn't work and I had to go outside. then the ICU paramedics arrived and I was busy again heating up blankets in our dryer. as fast as I heated one and took it over I took the cool one back to heat it so it was hectic.
Now I've realised it is time to update my first aid skills as in hindsight there was so many things I didn't do right and should have done differently. I guess if I was felling 100% to start with it may have been different. But if skills are current I think they would come naturally no matter how ill you feel.
Oh and after 4 hours of micro surgery last night to reattach the radial artery and 2 tendons in his wrist he came home this afternoon bearing a huge bunch of flowers for us to say thanks. can't believe he is out already.

Anyway nothing to report in the brom garden other than 1 out of 3 packets of seed arrived yesterday but no sign of other 2 and now I was too sick today to do anything with them. and I picked my first ripe pod of billbergia seed from a cross I did. only problem was the writing on the iceblock stick faded and I can't remember what pollen I put on it. Will just have to wait and see. Anyways I squeezed the seed out on sieve to dry out and I will attend to them in a couple days.

Sleep time again now. Oh and Jen is still terribly ill with that flu. Shirley thankful to say mine was just a headcold but today I have that tummy bug really bad. I guess it was coming on yesterday and that's why I didn't eat at all yesterday. couldn't after our eventful afternoon anyway. so today I just stayed in bed close to the toilet. hopefully it will be all over tomorrow or next day.

Nap time now. Bye again.
Wendy
Pic 1 is bill cv hayley's gold from Catlans
Pic 2 & 3 are both cv of moon tiger form Catlans but pic 2 is definately the better one although pic 3 has an almost black throat so not too bad.

Thumbnail by perke_patch Thumbnail by perke_patch Thumbnail by perke_patch
Brisbane, Australia

Hello all, another lovely sunny day today.

Sue, I know what you mean about the housework. There was a time when I was so particular about the housekeeping but these days I have to admit to being pretty slack. Like you, I can’t wait to get outside of a morning. I look around the house at all the things that need doing and figure it will all still be there tomorrow and maybe I’ll do something about it then … maybe not !!

Wendy, hope you’re fully recovered by now, from both your tummy bug and from the emergency that took place next door. What an ordeal with your neighbour, good on you for helping out and staying calm. He is a lucky man, I’m pretty sure if I saw that much blood I would pass out … I doubt that I would be able to help at all.

It’s getting late so I might head off to bed,
’night all, Shirley

Pic is vriesea glutinosa

Thumbnail by works4me
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Wow, wendy! What a bit of excitement. I think you did really well. I faint at the first sign of blood and would be no good in any emergency situation where there is a bleed involved. Your neighbour is a lucky man. What did he do with the poor homeless fish?
Bree, I hadn't noticed that little pot and you could be right. They would be pretty small. I grew a batch from seed a year or so ago, but I killed them by letting them dry out. I have a couple of mature ones in the pond that flower every year, so maybe I'll have another go this year?
Shirley, I actually did a bit of housework yesterday! Just the floors and a general pickup and it made a difference, until hubby got home in the evening and clumped through the house in his work boots! I could throttle him! I love Vriesea glutinosa. Have you flowered one yet? Its like V. splendens a bit. And how good are all the grass pups you get at the bottom!
I really didn't do alot outside, except to pot up a couple of palms that needed it, and I have a plan to start preparing plants for sale in spring, so have pots to clean, and will begin to fertilise lightly and keep my eyes out for scale and caterpillars e.t.c.
I am also about to make some more pavers, with rocks pushed into them, to continue to path from the back door to the clothesline. Hubby will help me build a bridge at some later stage, but while the weather is dry, its perfect for doing the ground work.
Tash, I forgot to get the pics of Thunderbird, but will try to remember today. If I go and look at them, i will remember, but no promises (today) although I will do it eventually.
Pic one is the pathway
pic two is a plant Leisa gave me, labelled as Carolinae tricolour, but its not?
pic three is Neo. 'De Rolph'
pic four is V. 'Kiwi Sunset' and 'Cream' and some fosterianas
pic five is one from Wendy which I think was ID'd recently as something other than what I thought, but I'll have to go chck again. It was Aechmea seideliana I think?
Sue

Thumbnail by weed_woman Thumbnail by weed_woman Thumbnail by weed_woman Thumbnail by weed_woman Thumbnail by weed_woman

Sue i have heaps of sarracenias if you want me to post you some after winter when i divide all mine. I grow them in my brom garden also, sitting in kitty litter trays of water. Yes you cant let them dry out. I just lower the water in winter as they can rot and keep it full in summer.
My Carcharodon 'tiger' pup.
V.white bands and Orlandiana

Thumbnail by breeindy Thumbnail by breeindy
Brisbane, Australia

Sue, I just can’t believe the amount of work you take on … making your own pavers WOW and they look great too. I love neo DeRolf, it’s one I haven’t got yet but one that I must add to my ever growing collection.

Bree, I bought a sad little sarracenia today. It was heavily reduced and in dire need of some TLC so I just had to buy it and hopefully, I can save it. Do you have yours in full sun thru the summer months?

Has anyone heard from Nev, Colleen or Karen.

Well, might call it a night, till tomorrow, Shirley

Pics are neo Spots & Dots & Spots & Dots novar

Thumbnail by works4me Thumbnail by works4me

Shirly your sarracenia is sad because its winter. As long its in a peat moss/sand mix(no fertiliser) and sitting in shallow water it'll grow healthy new pitchers very fast(you can almost watch them grow) as soon as winters over. They look there worst now and only get better through out the other times of the year.
Yes i have mine in full sun all year.
marbled throat, a mini. See the ant on the flower.

This message was edited Aug 8, 2012 8:54 AM

Thumbnail by breeindy
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Good morning all lookers and lurkers!
Bree, thank you for your kind offer. I think I am right for water plants though, as the couple of pots in the pond could do with a revamp and declump. I get those little dewey fly catcher plants popping up in there too. Do you have them? All three plants that you have pictured are amongst my favourite.
Shirley, I made those pavers a few years back, so am going to continue along with them. I made one yesterday, but made it a bit thicker, as it was hard to judge how much concrete to use. Basically, one bag per 400-500mm2 paver, then push in flat rocks. I was making an odd shaped one, and used two bags, but 1 and a half would have been sufficient. I guess I just learned another lesson? I don't think it will matter too much, but I'm not sure if I should attempt to move it and dig out a little of the soil to make it sit lower. I'll wait until I take the frame work off then decide.
Its looking a bit dull and overcast outside, but hopefully it will clear up when the sun rises. I had plans to do a little bit of watering. I have been doing a smidgen of weeding in the vege patch most afternoons, and am halfway thinking of going into the spring garden comp this year. I think about it every year, but get stressed trying to get the whole shebang tidy at once, but this year, I almost feel on top of it. I think I have another couple of weeks to enter, so I'll wait and see how i feel then. All it takes is a good storm, a flood or some other disaster and all the hard work goes to waste, and spring is a fickle time around here
Nothing brommy going on for me. Still too cool for potting. I DID take a pic of Neo. 'Thunderbird' as promised, so bear with me and I'll load it.......... there, the first pic is three N. 'Thunderbird' seedlings, which are actually a bit richer in colour than the picture shows
The second picture is the new paver, made that shape to direct you around the corner.
the third pic is the bunker all tidied and with its shelving.
Hello to all our missing contributors. Lets hope you are all too busy, or experiencing computer probs, rather than being too unwell to correspond.
have a happy thursday all.
Sue

This message was edited Aug 9, 2012 7:47 AM

Thumbnail by weed_woman Thumbnail by weed_woman Thumbnail by weed_woman

sue- droseras (sundews)? yes i have a few of them but alot of them die down in winter and you need to reseed them. And dionaeas (venus flytraps) bulbs have to be stored and replanted each year and im to impatient. ha!. I have a lot of Nepenthes though(the hanging pitcher plants) but mostly sarracenias.

shirley, i'll save you a derolf for next time you come down if you want one.
i'm off to bed early. no energy at all today and still unable to eat.

Wendy

Brisbane, Australia

Hi everyone, the wind is really blowing here tonight. Westerlies were predicted for tomorrow … guess they’re a little early, and it’s going to get really cold too. Definitely not my type of weather.

Bree, thanks for the info on the sarracenia.

Sue, those are nice neos and your ‘bunker’ looks good too.

Wendy, sorry to hear you are still crook … maybe it’s time to visit your Dr, don’t leave it till it gets a real hold on you. And, yes please, hold a neo deRolf for me. Is your sale going to be next week … perhaps I can D-mail you a wish list. Hope you’re feeling better tomorrow and that goes for all the other forum members who are on the sick list too.

Cheers, Shirley

Pic is neo Pinstripe ??

Thumbnail by works4me
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Good morning everyone. I hope that all are back on board soon! Nev, you've gone AWOl again! Colleen, hows your back? Karen, hope nothing is keeping you away. Mike, well I know you're busy and Tash, I put that pic of Thunderbird on for you, so you have to drop in. Jen, sorry to hear you've been unwell again. I hope it doesn't spoil your weekend?
Bree, thanks for the name on those Sundews. they must self seed, as I looked in the pond yesterday and there are still a couple there, looking perfectly ok. The Sarracenias are looking shabby, so I cut the old stems off. Is that the right thing to do? or should they die back naturally to feed the next generation? I've never tried Venus Fly Traps, but always thought they were a bit tricky. Its too tempting to tickle the traps to see them close, and then the plant is half dead!
Wendy, I agree with Shirley. Get to the doctors or chemist and get some relief. It sounds like yous have had a really nasty cold and flu strain doing the rounds.
shirley, it was supposed to rain here yesterday, but it managed about three drops and moved on, and today looks pretty special so far! Will try to get washing done and lawns mowed in case thats the last of the fine weather, but really, I feel quite on top of things. I DID enter the comp! heh heh, and now the pressures on! Nah. I don't care about winning, but it will be nice to show off my hard work. I'm just going to go through the different garden areas and do a general tidy up so that when the time comes for judging, theres not to much to do. I am also going to put out some colourful broms in the garden the day before the comp. I'd do it now, but they would get smashed by gum branches e.t.c in the next few weeks. I know other entrants go and buy a couple of hundred dollars worth of instant colour annuals in the days leading up to the judging, so I don't feel I am cheating, as at least I have grown these plants myself. Anyway, Shirley, I hope the winds aren't too severe and you have no damage, and can keep warm.
I'd best begin my day. Its a little earlier than usual of late, but I have alot to do!
Have a happy gardening/bromeliad weekend all, and think of me if you find something special to buy? heh heh. I could be AWOL myself, as I have a busy weekend lined up, but will drop in if time allows.
Sue
pic one is Nidularium 'Ra Ru'
pic two is vriesea 'Little chief'
pic three is Vriesea 'White Cloud', a gift from Jen some time back. Its quite small, and looks almost as if the white colouring is variegation.

This message was edited Aug 10, 2012 8:33 AM

Thumbnail by weed_woman Thumbnail by weed_woman Thumbnail by weed_woman
Coffs Harbour, Australia

I forgot to mention your Neo. 'Pin Stripe' Shirley. I notice you have a question mark on that one? I think its right. Its always hard to tell when the plants are grown under different light conditions. I have that one too, but its in fairly high light and is quite pink.
Sue

yes sue some sundews do self seed. Yes i cut off the old sarracenia pitches to make room for the new to sprout up. If you keep shutting the venus flytraps they do die as it takes alot of energy to shut and open them traps. Thats how most people kill them and as they die down in winter people think theyve killed them and chuck them away but they will shoot back up when it warms up. There rhiazomes lay dormant if not kept to wet over winter as they can rot when cold.
Yes shirly id say thats pinstripe also.
Heres a stripy pup i have. Concentrica x Hearts music, anyone know what the spotches are on it, too much sun? or are they ment to be there.

Thumbnail by breeindy

Hi everyone.
I had such a bad night last night. hardly got any sleep between wind gusts, windows rattling and at least 8 mad dashes for the bathroom. Another 2 kg disappeared overnight and I am now below the recommended weight for a woman my height and age. Long time since I could say I was underweight instead of over. hahahaha.

Anyway lips felt dry and cracked this morning so I thought I'd better go to the docs befor I dehydrated too much. Turns out I have food poisoning .... probably a chicken bought from our local IGA last Sunday which was the first day I felt unwell. I'm now on a massive antibiotic for 3 days and he said it will probably make me dizzy so be careful and limit driving. Hope we are all better by next weekend when we have our sale.

I think after my night last night an early one is needed tonight. I'll just watch BH&G and then off to bed.

Wendy

Brisbane, Australia

Hi all, blowing a gale here and very cold. It’s making a real mess around the yard with sticks, twigs, leaves and some larger branches too off the eucalypts, all over the place … plenty of cleaning up to do after it dies down.

Sue, good on you for entering the Garden Comp and good luck, hope you do well.

Bree, very pretty little neo. I think the splotches look good … whatever they are.

Wendy, glad to hear you visited the Dr. And just as well you did, food poisoning is pretty serious and won’t clear up without medication. Hope you’re better soon.

Have a good weekend everyone.

Shirley

A couple of neo pups, Bob & Grace and Kahala Dawn

shellharbour, Australia

Hi everyone,

Yes it’s me, back again. I’ve once more had computer troubles this time it was with Windows; I just couldn’t open it and the message said it had been closed to protect my computer. It also gave a couple of options I could try, but I don’t know how I was supposed to try them when I couldn’t even open it. Finally the message said that if the problem couldn’t be solved I should consult a technician or words to that effect. So off to the "computer doctor" I went, I told him what it was doing and he said he didn’t think it was too serious and even if he had to clean any viruses, take everything off, reinstall windows and re-load everything it would be less than $100 dollars.

Well I rang yesterday to find out the good and the bad news and was told the hard drive was “stuffed”. He said he could put in a second hand hard drive which was guaranteed for 12 months and the cost would be $99 as he had originally told me he would fix it for under $100 or he could put in a new hard drive for a couple of hundred more and that would only be guaranteed for twelve months also. The third option was to buy a new computer which as far as I’m concerned is financially definitely not an option, so I’ve taken a chance and gone for the second hand one.

I’m still using my wife’s computer so I’ll keep this brief as I have a lot of cleaning up to do today after the gale force winds we copped yesterday. Pots all over the yard and I don’t know what else as I haven’t been out yet this morning, but I know there were trees down in the street and a couple of homes in the area lost roofs, so it was a bit more than a westerly breeze, which hopefully is now starting to abate.

I’ve just quickly browsed the recent posts and I must congratulate everyone on all the great pic’s. There is just one comment I’d like to make and that is about a couple of plants firstly Shirley’s Neo. ‘Heart’s Music’ x ‘Grace Darling’ and secondly Breeindy’s Neo concentrica x ‘Heart’s Music’. All I would like to say is that there are many “radial red” plants now doing the circuit which are so very similar, that it’s hard to tell the difference between them; plants such as Neo.‘Stripey’, Neo ‘Pin Stripe’, Neo Rosea Striata, Neo. Rosa Delight, Neo. Rosa Deluxe, and I have a number of half grown seedlings which are from Neo. Painted Lady x Rosea Striata which all look similar as well. (I’ll take some pic’s to post when the wind stops).

Regarding Breeindy’s question about the blotches on her plant,some of these plants which have concentrica in the breeding often have these blotches as do some plants of concentrica. Also it often occurs with Rosea Striata, and I expect it will also happen with some of the plants from that line of breeding. It seems to be more pronounced when these plants are grown under strong light and to a lesser degree when grown in low light. I don’t think it’s a fault but an heredity thing from the parents, especially if Neo. concentrica is in the breedling line somewhere in the past.

I’d just like to finish with a big “Get Well Soon” to anyone who is still sick, and to post a few pic’s of some of these Neo. “look-a- likes”, Firstly Neo ‘Rosea Striata’ grown in low light, Second a Rosea Striata "pup" grown in strong light and finally a cross of mine which is Neo. Bea Hanson x Rosea Striata, grown in medium/strong light.

All the best, Nev.

Thumbnail by splinter1804 Thumbnail by splinter1804 Thumbnail by splinter1804
Queensland, Australia

Good morning everyone, it's a lovely morning here and we'll be off out into the yard soon to get some things done.
Thanks for the Thunderbird pic Sue, non of that colour coming out on mine yet, it will be interesting to see if that little vaiegates develops that colour. You bunker house is looking fantastic :)
Wendy, I hope the antibiotics kick in quickly, that's terrible how sick you have been, and about you neighbour....wow, so lucky you guys were there to help.
Love all the photos, so nice to see them all each time I check in.
Poor Nev has computer issues again....it had to go to the dr to get fixed, so hopefully he'll be back online with us soon.
Oh I picked up another Alc Silver Plum on Thursday from Big W when I was down in Cairns, good big size but a bit green, on top, but it will colour up in my climate pretty quickly. I know Olive usually supplies a lot of Big W's stuff, but looks like these were from Dilling's, as it was their pots, mix and tags I think.
Well I had better get motivated I guess, I'll try to get some photos to add soon :)

Hi everyone
The good news is the antibiotics worked very quickly. First one mid afternoon yesterday and I was able to have soup for tea and kept it. no problems last night. I woke up this morning feeling very well so when Jen rang I said I could go with her to a friends, who is having a sale and always offers us first pic of her plants. We didn't go until about lunchtime and I was already looking for a sit down then. I did a bit of potting this morning before she came and set up a couple of tables for our sale next weekend. So after a while at Sylvias house I started feeling off again and Jen said I went quite pale but didn't feel that bad. Tummy started to hurt a bit. I've worked out that I require small lots of liquids often to satisfy the tummy as once I'd had a yoghurt and cuppa tummy was fine. So I'm improving but I need to rest a lot.

Tash your silver plum could have come from Olive who got a lot of silver plums from Dillings when they came to brisbane for the last sale. what is left over after the sale is sold on rather than cart them back home. I saw a heap of their sps at Olive's last time we were over there. Our Bunnings and Big W don't seem to have much these days. We're lucky we can go to Olive's and buy direct or to any of the other places we have around here.

Nev it's good to see you back on again although we have communicated by email. Nev have you spoken to Kay recently? I only found out tonight about her hubby having a stroke. so sad for her. Hope things get better soon for her. My problems are nothing compared to hers.

Had to share a pic of a billbergia that has flowered for the first time for me. it is a species called eipperi. It is cold sensitive so I had it growing in the corner of the fence up high where it gets maximum afternoon sunshine. I love the way this one flowers. so different to other billbergias.

Pics: billbergia eipperi

Night all. bed is calling.
Wendy

Thumbnail by perke_patch Thumbnail by perke_patch
Brisbane, Australia

Hi everyone,
Nev, great to see you back again. computers … don’t you love ‘em. Gee, sounds like the wind was really strong to blow roofs off houses in your street. And I’m complaining about a few branches, sticks and leaves. It was still windy this morning but died down this arvo, so I ‘m hoping it’s blown itself out.

Tash, I have seen some really nice broms in Big W lately which have come from Olives … very tempting. Looking forward to seeing your photos. And I’m with you in hoping Wendy is on the mend quickly.

Well, that’s it for tonight, bye for now, Shirley

Pic is neo Hula Girl pup …

Thumbnail by works4me
Brisbane, Australia

Wendy, we must have been posting at the same time ... my post took forever to appear, even timed out once. So good to hear that you're on the mend, though it will probably take a while to get back on your feet after being so crook.

What are the chances of us coming over on Friday to check out what you have for sale. Weekend traffic is such a pain, especially coming from the other side of the city. And I get the best of the bargains before the crowd arrives on the weekend.

Talk to you soon, Shirley

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Good morning campers. How is everyone today? On the men I hope?
Good to see you back nev, and I hope the fix for the computer works out well.
Bree, thanks for the info on the water/carnivorous plants. I haven't really looked into them before.
Shirley, i spoke too soon when i said we had a lovely start to the day, because the winds picked up around 9 and the day deteriorated rapidly, but nothing like you poor folks down near Sydney. I hope the weather clears soon and the tidy up is not too strenuous. Your Neo. 'Hula Girl' should be a stunner if photo I've seen are anything to go by. Keep us up on that one.
Wendy, sorry to hear you copped a dose of poisoning. Did Johnny get it too? I hope the spot of shopping helped move it on a bit. You and Jen have such a good network of brom sellers to shop from, I am green with envy! Your Billy certainly has a nice flower, but how unfortunate that it is cold tender.
Tash, thanks for your kind words. And lucky you for having anything worthwhile in your bunnings store. We have a few Neo. 'Zoe's in ours, and some blister packs from collectors corner with spanish moss, orchids, Tillandsias and Neo. 'Fireball' for about $6, and just the usual assortment of table top Guzmanias from a ;local wholesale brom grower. I bought a Tillandsia last week, and don't mind paying $6 as there is no postage on top, like if I was buying through Ebay, which is sometimes the only way to shop for broms when not much else is available here. I might have to save some dollars and visit Peter soon. Getting itchy brom feet!
Things to do and places to go, I will catch up again tomorrow.
Sue

shellharbour, Australia

Hi everyone,

It's still pretty windy down here although it's abating slightly, but still not good for trying to take pic's.

Wendy I don't know who you mean by "Kay" as I don't know anyone by that name so I think you're mixing me up with someone else, unless it was someone I accepted as a friend when I was previously on Face Book as I used to get a lot of people wanting to be friends and I just accepted them simply because of the fact that they were all brom growers.

Wendy I love the Bill. flower, it looks somewhat similar to Foster's Striate as it too seems to flower in a clump also, but sadly like all Bill's, only short lived.

A big "cheerio" to Colleen and anyone else who is on the sick list and I also send my sympathy to anyone having computer problems like I had recently, they really are a “King Sized” pain in the "bum".

Wendy I read with interest what you wrote about your neighbour and his severe bleed. I wish I could have been there to help and I'm amazed when you say the Ambo's had trouble stopping it. Years ago when I first started into industrial ambulance work we all had to learn all of the main pressure points (a point where an artery crosses a bone) and we were told in the case of severe life threatening bleeds we could press firmly on these points which would compress the artery between our thumb and the bone to temporarily stop the bleeding beyond that point until we could get control with a dressing firmly bandaged in place. Unfortunately they don't teach these pressure points in first aid classes any more as they are too busy just teaching the basics very quickly and getting the money for the course fee. However it's a very simple. quick and effective method for immediately stopping life threatening bleeding which I used successfully numerous times in heavy industry, and in my opinion should never have been dropped from the training courses. (Sorry, here I go beating my drum again).

I've heard on the grape vine that all Big W stores from Cairns to Coffs Harbour will be getting in some nice foliage vrieseas within the next few weeks. This info. came from a friend who was at a Tillandsia Conference in Victoria and was talking to the grower who supplies these stores, so probably worth keeping your eyes open.

Shirley – Your Hula Girl pup looks interesting; it's not a plant I'm familiar with and it doesn't appear to be registered so I can't find a pic of an adult plant either so if anyone has a pic of a mature plant, could you please post it.

I'll finish with pic's of a few Ae Mary Brett x Ae. Gamosepala seedlings (unfortunately after the Honey Eaters had had a feed and pollinated most of the flowers). These plants turned out nothing like I had expected and obviously Gamosepala is much more dominant as a parent then is Mary Brett.

All the best Nev.

Thumbnail by splinter1804 Thumbnail by splinter1804 Thumbnail by splinter1804 Thumbnail by splinter1804 Thumbnail by splinter1804
Queensland, Australia

Morning everyone, glad you are feeling better Wendy. Sue you gave me a good giggle just now when I read your post, ha ha ha ha ha ha, re read your first line... the last sentence, oh "Woo" would of had a field day with that comment on Facebook, lol.
Ok giggle over, kind of, lol.
Well we pulled the garden to bits again yesterday, cut out some big Golden Canes and cut all the little suckers out that come up every couple of months, they drive me nuts.
We also moved the little seedling hot house and took it's plastic back off and put it's shade cloth cover on instead and hopefully it can stay where it is now, all year around.... we'll see. A lot more light now gets into the garden by the brom house, so we'll have to watch it for burn, as the sun's intensity up here is really starting to build up again already. Daughter had interschool sports competitions on Friday and came home sunburnt. So yes Summer is on it's way for sure.
We always have to put cloth up over summer anyway, but usually not for another 3 months yet, but with the missing palms now, we'll just have to watch it.
Oh and I was excited to see my Neo Macho X Skotak's Tiger is coming into flower, yipeee. But.... right now, nothing else is.... so that could end up being a right fizzer! I will be collecting it's pollen though to use later, but i have no pollen stored at the moment, I was so hoping my striated neo would be in flower at the same time, but sadly, no. Dam.
Well it's a very cool morning here in the tropics today, but the sun is starting to warm it all up. So it will be back out into the garden soon and get some more things done. It's all looking so much better. Still need a load of mulch, been needing it for ages, but just can't afford it right now and the free stuff you periodically from the dump.... well it was terrible last time, so not sure we'll do that again.
Ok well have a great day everyone, talk soon,
Tash

Brisbane, Australia

Hi everyone ... some of my favourites -

1 neo Manoa Beauty 2 neo Camelot 3 neo Megan

Catch up tomorrow,
Shirley

Thumbnail by works4me Thumbnail by works4me Thumbnail by works4me
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Morning all, you can get off the men now! heh heh. You are right, Tash, Woo would have had a field day! I hope you don't get too much sun in with the golden cane trim. I'm going to clean mine up soon too, but might wait until after the comp. I'll get any other things done first, and if I have time I might tackle it. There are about 12 large clumps to clean up! I'll go check around and see if any of my Neos are starting to flower, and maybe I'll have some pollen you'd like. Will message you on FB if anything comes up.
Nev, I think Russ sells Hula girl on EBay, and has a nice picture as the gallery pic. Thats the only place I have seen it before, and always thought it would be a nice one to own. Its windy here still, and overcast. I'm not sure if its safe to go out and pick up branches, so I'll leave it awhile, and also leave the pots that are down, as they will only blow over again.
I hope we get those foliage vrieseas in our Big W, but it will probably be V. gigantea or fosteriana, which I have in my collection already. It seems that only the usual varieties turn up in department stores.
I have an Aechmea coming into flower that you sent up. It was one you said the Bower birds had stolen the label from. Once the flower is up I'll send you a pic. It has the pointed foliage like Mary Brett, so it might be the same as the one in your pic?
morning Shirley. You must have the same taste in Neos, as me? I have Neo. 'Camelot' and a Neo. olens x 'Manoa Beauty' which I have been told resembles Neo. 'Gold Fever'. Nice photos there for us. I'm not familiar with N. 'Megan' but I have a couple of similar ones, without an ID, that might be just that. I guess I can start there first.
I was in Sydney over the weekend, and was pleased to see the hotel I stayed at had Vriesea 'Splenreit' in large pots in the foyer and restaurant, so I got my brom fix. We went on a harbour cruise with dinner, and despite the rolling seas and bitter, wet winds, it was great. We partied with the younger ones till the wee hours and then paid for it the next day, with a seven hour drive home! Luckily, I didn't drink, so was tired, but clear headed. Sydney is very scarey at night, with groups of young men everywhere, and some of them are very heavily tattooed about the face, as well as carrying an aggressive attitude with them. I don't think
I would go there again at night, and wonder that tourists go there at night at all? Maybe there are worse places?
Anyway, things to do. I hope everyone starts the week feeling better than the week past.
Sue

This message was edited Aug 13, 2012 9:35 AM

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Brisbane, Australia

Hi all, where is everyone, hope you are all busy and not crook.

Sue, guess it’s just you and me tonight. There has been some nice broms at our local Big W stores lately and also at Bunnings. We also have several stall holders selling nice broms at the markets. Your harbour cruise sounds like fun, though not so sure about the rolling seas and bitter, wet winds, reckon I could do without that.

We did a bit of a clean up in the gardens today. Took out 5 dwarf date palms. They looked good when they were small but they’re rather untidy when they grow larger. They also have lethal spines and I don’t know how many times we got spiked getting them out and into the trailer and off to the dump. Anyway, all done now. We also cut back a few things that had grown too big and it looks a lot better now. Hoping to get around to repotting a few of the larger broms tomorrow.

Nothing much else happening here at the moment so I’ll call it a night. Will add pics of a couple more of my favourites. First one is neo Painted Delight, the second is a neo NOID.
Bye for now, Shirley

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Morning Shirley, sounds like you had a painful, busy time in the garden. I have dwarf date palms that I grew from seed, and I sell them on occasion. I like them, but haven't planted one, due to having looked after them many time in others gardens, and knowing what a pain they are to clean up! I do like them though, but so slow growing also.
I think you Neo. NOID is n N. 'Marble Throat' hybrid. Maybe N. 'Marble Snow' or something along those lines? I love your painted delight too. I have a baby one that is growing nicely.
The rolling seas weren't much of a problem for me, on the cruise, but a few unlucky souls were feeling a bit green toward the end. It was well protected inside, from the cold and wet winds, and the lights and views in the harbour were great. The food was also excellent.
I was having a look at Nevs NOID Aechmea, but the flower still isn't right out yet, but I came across one of the A. nudicaulis seedlings in flower, so I took a picture of it instead.
The wind died down yesterday so I had the opportunity to clear up all the sticks and branches and load up the bonfire. I am going to clean up another section of garden today, nothing to strenuous, and them do a bit more on my pathway. I managed to lift the big paver with a movers trolley, so I am excavating a bit deeper so the paver will sit lower, and then I'll make another one. I hope the fine weather lasts a little longer. I actually enjoy watering all the plants and its an opportunity to do a health check on them, and also to begin the fertiliser regime now that its warming up a smidgen.
Another few weeks and it will be potting pup time!
photo one is nevs nudicaulis seedling
photo two is seedling I grew from N. 'satsuma' crossed wth N. 'Prinsler' but it could well be a selfing. It is a larger plant though
photo three is Billbergia 'Estrella' from Jen. Isn't the colour just awesome? I'll have to keep an eye on that flower
photo four is supposed to be Billbergia 'Catherine Wilson' but I'm not sure that it is.
I hope everyone is back soon, not that I mind just talking with Shirley, but I want to see more pics! Have a great day everyone.
Sue

Thumbnail by weed_woman Thumbnail by weed_woman Thumbnail by weed_woman Thumbnail by weed_woman
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Morning Shirley, sounds like you had a painful, busy time in the garden. I have dwarf date palms that I grew from seed, and I sell them on occasion. I like them, but haven't planted one, due to having looked after them many time in others gardens, and knowing what a pain they are to clean up! I do like them though, but so slow growing also.
I think you Neo. NOID is n N. 'Marble Throat' hybrid. Maybe N. 'Marble Snow' or something along those lines? I love your painted delight too. I have a baby one that is growing nicely.
The rolling seas weren't much of a problem for me, on the cruise, but a few unlucky souls were feeling a bit green toward the end. It was well protected inside, from the cold and wet winds, and the lights and views in the harbour were great. The food was also excellent.
I was having a look at Nevs NOID Aechmea, but the flower still isn't right out yet, but I came across one of the A. nudicaulis seedlings in flower, so I took a picture of it instead.
The wind died down yesterday so I had the opportunity to clear up all the sticks and branches and load up the bonfire. I am going to clean up another section of garden today, nothing to strenuous, and then do a bit more on my pathway. I managed to lift the big paver with a movers trolley, so I am excavating a bit deeper so the paver will sit lower, and then I'll make another one. I hope the fine weather lasts a little longer. I actually enjoy watering all the plants and its an opportunity to do a health check on them, and also to begin the fertiliser regime now that its warming up a smidgen.
Another few weeks and it will be potting pup time!
photo one is nevs nudicaulis seedling
photo two is seedling I grew from N. 'satsuma' crossed wth N. 'Prinsler' but it could well be a selfing. It is a larger plant though
photo three is Billbergia 'Estrella' from Jen. Isn't the colour just awesome? I'll have to keep an eye on that flower
photo four is supposed to be Billbergia 'Catherine Wilson' but I'm not sure that it is.
I hope everyone is back soon, not that I mind just talking with Shirley, but I want to see more pics! Have a great day everyone.
Sue

Coffs Harbour, Australia

oh wow, double trouble! you get to look at my pics twice. heh heh. usually I lose posts, but today DG gave me an extra . It doesn't make up for all the ones i've lost though!

Brisbane, Australia

Hi Sue, looks like just you and me again. Wonder if Nev is having more computer problems. Haven’t heard from Colleen, Karen, Breeindy or Mike for quite a while. Wendy is probably busy getting ready for her sale.

Anyway, like you, we did a bit of a stick pick up today so we can mow. The grass hasn’t grown but the weeds still come though despite the cold.

Love the colour of your Bill Estrella … beautiful.

I will attach pics of a couple more of my favourites … neos Purple Star and Pimiento.

Bye for now, Shirley

Coffs Harbour, Australia

morning Shirley, only us again? I saw a comment from Wendy on FB, so she is alive at least. I haven't heard from any of the others though. Maybe we are boring them? heh heh.
Your two Neos are beautiful. Those are two I don't have. I was after pemiento for ages, but I had N. 'Fosperior Perfection' and thought the two looked similar enough that I could live with just the one. Unfortunately I haven't got 'Perfection' anymore either, but it gives me something to look out or if I get a chance to go brom shopping. I think they are alot cheaper now than when I initially started collecting?
I know what you mean about the weeds. I got the bindii sprayed last week, and I think I can see a little bit of wilting going on. Its not fast enough though! I'll have to practise patience.
I got another paver made, and will pick up some more cement to finish the job before any bad weather comes our way. Now all I need is a big load of mulch to throw down around under the gums for a bit of a tidy. I can get fresh wood chip from a tree feller, so might get it delivered and let it sit for a few weeks, maybe with a bit of lime and fertiliser to break it down a bit? I still have a heap of branches on the western side of the property to pick up, but Hubby will help this weekend, as we will use the ute to transfer them across the yard to the bonfire heap.
Photo one is Vriesea saundersi coming into flower
photo two is Tillandsia fasciculata magnifica on top, and a freebie one flowering on the side, which I think, might be T. juncea?
Sue

Thumbnail by weed_woman Thumbnail by weed_woman
barmera, Australia

Hi Sue and Shirley. Sorry I haven't been in but slowly getting there. Good on you for entering the garden comp. Sue. Best of luck. What do you win. A trailer load of brom potting mix would be good. lol Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.