Photo by Melody
Announcements
The ability to post new threads and comments is currently off-line. We are working to restore this feature.

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS JULY & AUGUST 2012, 1 by weed_woman

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright weed_woman

In reply to: BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS JULY & AUGUST 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS JULY & AUGUST 2012
weed_woman wrote:
Morning Shirley, sounds like you had a painful, busy time in the garden. I have dwarf date palms that I grew from seed, and I sell them on occasion. I like them, but haven't planted one, due to having looked after them many time in others gardens, and knowing what a pain they are to clean up! I do like them though, but so slow growing also.
I think you Neo. NOID is n N. 'Marble Throat' hybrid. Maybe N. 'Marble Snow' or something along those lines? I love your painted delight too. I have a baby one that is growing nicely.
The rolling seas weren't much of a problem for me, on the cruise, but a few unlucky souls were feeling a bit green toward the end. It was well protected inside, from the cold and wet winds, and the lights and views in the harbour were great. The food was also excellent.
I was having a look at Nevs NOID Aechmea, but the flower still isn't right out yet, but I came across one of the A. nudicaulis seedlings in flower, so I took a picture of it instead.
The wind died down yesterday so I had the opportunity to clear up all the sticks and branches and load up the bonfire. I am going to clean up another section of garden today, nothing to strenuous, and then do a bit more on my pathway. I managed to lift the big paver with a movers trolley, so I am excavating a bit deeper so the paver will sit lower, and then I'll make another one. I hope the fine weather lasts a little longer. I actually enjoy watering all the plants and its an opportunity to do a health check on them, and also to begin the fertiliser regime now that its warming up a smidgen.
Another few weeks and it will be potting pup time!
photo one is nevs nudicaulis seedling
photo two is seedling I grew from N. 'satsuma' crossed wth N. 'Prinsler' but it could well be a selfing. It is a larger plant though
photo three is Billbergia 'Estrella' from Jen. Isn't the colour just awesome? I'll have to keep an eye on that flower
photo four is supposed to be Billbergia 'Catherine Wilson' but I'm not sure that it is.
I hope everyone is back soon, not that I mind just talking with Shirley, but I want to see more pics! Have a great day everyone.
Sue