DJ'S SEED ROBINS IN FLIGHT PT 4

northeast, IL(Zone 5a)

WOW!! That was quick!! Glad you got it with enough time to go through before your trip!!

Deb

Polkton, NC(Zone 7b)

Since some of you were wanting new names of Seed Companies, I am sharing this link from the Mother Earth News that lists favorite seed companies by state.
http://www.motherearthnews.com/Organic-Gardening/2007-11-01/Best-Garden-Seed-Companies.aspx

I hope this is helpful :)

New Providence, IA(Zone 5a)

Yes, it was fast. THANKS to you, Deb, it did make it here before I left on Monday. There is a LOT in that box. Having fun!!!
ME

(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

evening ev1Jumping for joy tonight onle 2 more car payments :))) almost hate to pay it off affraid it might break down on me have to go indebt again. :( sorry gotta go back in the am

(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN(Zone 6a)

LoL Susie, awww no! That's not happening any more. From now on, when you pay off your car, it will run for another 5 years before it needs anything. That's the new rule!!!!

San Bernardino, CA(Zone 9a)

Can I have that rule in writing please?

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

and then it comes to ME!! :):):):)

(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN(Zone 6a)

LoL

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Yes, Steph - you were right . Couldn't bear not to open it, but I hadn't been able to LOOK at it, really look, until today. :D

Rita got about 12 thumbs up from all the vet techs, veterinarians, vets in training, and vet students at NCSU. Yes she is as big as she looks - probably bigger. It's always a relief and welcome to hear the "oooohs" and "ahhhhs" over her size, strength, muscles, coloration. It makes me feel as though I am doing something very right which is great when I am such a freakish worry-wort when it comes to Rita. She is the first lizard I have ever had the pleasure to live with. Court had lizards before, but never one this big. They are tiny when you get them of course, and unless you are a "freakish worry-wort" about caring for them, they will never get this big.

24/7 monitoring light, temperatures, day-time basking temps and ambient night temps and humidity levels, etc. Jeez.

Anyway - no official word either way if she will lay eggs this year, but last year she laid 50+ eggs and it was her first time.

If I can get thru the robin tonight I'll try to get it in the mail in the morning. I'm always optimistic!!! I regret to say it's more likely to be Monday before I can get it in the mail. I hope I don't get black-listed for that. Love to all!!! ('specially Susie). :D

A.

Thumbnail by AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

This is a picture of Rita having her picture (radiograph) taken. She was so well-behaved I almost thought they switched her with someone else's iguana to take this picture. :D

Thumbnail by AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

p.s. Those are my hands in the photograph. I wear a size 6 on my ring finger if that gives you some relative comparison on her size.

Athens, PA

Amanda

So glad you posted about Rita. I was going to send you a dmail to ask how she was doing.

Thanks

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

This is 'Rex'. He lives in Cozumel and kept us company at the hotel.

Its not the closest Ive come to owning lizards, but closest to an iguana.

Thumbnail by minnesippi
Port Norris, NJ(Zone 7b)

I'm really impressed by how high your seeds are Susie. By the time
May rolls around they must be huge !

Rita is very pretty as far as iguanas go, love her colors. I've never seen
one "in person".
Rex on the other hand definitely looks like a throw-back to dinosaurs - he
really is a magnificent creature and looks like he must be gigantic.

San Bernardino, CA(Zone 9a)

A few years ago my mom and I were in Porta Viarta (sp). That is where they filmed the old movie "Night of the Iguanas." While we were on a tour of the city we could see tons of Iguanas in the trees. They were beyond huge. It was amazing. I love Iguanas and always stop to talk to the one at the library.

Athens, PA

I find I like most critters - iguanas included, however there are a few rodents I am not too fond of.

I do remember several years ago though, that one of my cats was after a mouse. The poor thing was a baby mouse. I went to bed that night, as per normal and woke up to my dining room being totally trashed. Apparently late that night, both my husband and my daughter decided that the baby mouse was too cute for it to become another victim of the cat, so they were both trying to 'save' the baby mouse from the cat. They were able to catch the mouse and release him outside before the cat got to him.

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

Here is a full shot of him. He was beautiful

Thumbnail by minnesippi
Polkton, NC(Zone 7b)

Steph I had no idea your Rita was that large. Its hard to tell the size of lizards by photos! She really is a beautiful animal, and looks like she could throw a mean attitude if she wanted.

steph how long is she (rita) ? GM been planting my canna's Rhizomes , planted canna seeds Tuesday , for they take the longest to grow.
got daddy dressed & fed so now i can go out & play some more today , ya all take cake back later today.
susie

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

That's a great pic Steph. :D

Oooops - I was trying to enter this before I fell asleep last night and now see all the posts in between.

Edited to say that RITA is my captive intact female iguana who weighs 7.5 lbs and is approximately 40" from snout to the tip of her tail.

The pictures Steph posted (minni) are of an iguana in the wild. :D

I like the story of the cat and baby mouse Carolyn - after my own heart.

The only creatures I tend to kill are by accident, or mosquitoes, fleas, or ticks. I don't care for parasites. If they have their own thing going then it's none of my business. If it happens outside then it's part of some "natural" order. Ants in the sink are particularly irritating, it's a good thing I have a double sink in the kitchen. :D

This message was edited Feb 4, 2012 8:32 AM

Athens, PA

Amanda

I feel the same way - the thing that got me about the baby mouse is I was the one that had to pick up the dining room. I was up that morning before both my daughter and husband and had had no clue at that point what had happened.

I don't like parasites either - my first husband was a parasite, but somehow I don't think that was what you were referring to ^_^

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

LOL Carolyn..my first was too!!

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Heh - no it wasn't, but I haven't had to kill any men either. ;)

Polkton, NC(Zone 7b)

Sorry to call you by the wrong name Amanda, I shouldn't be communitcating that late in the day lol.

evening everyone well it is about 80* here tonight For real All i have running is my dehumidifier all day it has ran & It is about full these plants are really making lots of humidity here is the house so had to buy a dehumidifier . the sun was out the whole day it was about 40*.
& I didn't have to run any heaters at all today .

Monday I Planted red star Morning glories , red Hyacinths beans, Painted lady Beans. Hear they are today :)
they are almost as tall as the DEEP Pan I Have them into :) In Just 6 days UNREAL. .

Today I Planted a few Daisy's & Dahlia Seeds ,
Tomorrow I Hope to Plant some Iris seeds.

well off to get daddy turned in for the night then it will be my turn so you all have a great evening .
Amanda Hope your finding some great veggies to plant for RITA :)))))

Thumbnail by deejay9
brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

Im prepping for seed starting!! I have the itch!
I potted these in the fall but the squirrels started digging them so I put them in the garage. Got too antsy and brought them in the house this week...and I have a FLOWER!! :):):):)

Thumbnail by minnesippi
Mount Laurel, NJ(Zone 7a)

nice! Today, I noticed our horseradish, daffodils, helleborus, parsley and garlics are growing! I'm still recording the Robin seeds on our computer. I need to get our plant room cleaned out and ready for seed pots by March. I'm looking forward to it =)

Oh HYACINTHS Right MMMM The smell , I Have looked in every store & No One has any BULBS AT ALL No Where ,
I Wanted to Plant a few Paperwhites, Dafodils & crocus, & Hyacinths for the Winter months to force them Guess I Better stock up next year :) or if anyone has any in your stores let me know I Would be happy to send money & Postage for a few of each:)
was hoppingt easter Blooms :)

well off to take care of daddy back in the morning if i don't get back on tonight :)

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

havent seen much but amaryllis now but will keep ,my eyes open.

The bloom is a muscari the rest are either tulips or dafs. I loaded this planter :)

This message was edited Feb 4, 2012 6:27 PM

The East to West robin will take flight tomorrow, Monday. It will be heading to Minnesota to Stephanie. Have fun! It is loaded with lots of goodies.

DC# 0310 2010 0000 9915 0445

Thanks to Susie and everyone for the wonderful seeds!
ME

TY ME Have a great trip to florida GEE's all my friends & family get to go away for the winter Will be glad whe i grow old enough to take trips but i think i would like to travel to the east coast like maine, Nj, del, NH, WV,VA,& The carolina;s have never been out that way yet .
7 never been to wash,ore, Id, MT,Co, Me,or Wi yet . thik i have been every where else .

well i have been very busy planting more seeds sandy just left jim & jan has Bowling banquet today so its just daddy & i but he;s napping in his chair so off i go to look up a few of these seeds .

enjoy the games tonight

Sue, "When you are old enough?????" When will that be?

The box DID go out today thanks to my hubby. Since Mom, sis, and I left yesterday/Sunday, he promised to take care of it.

Steph, have a GREAT time with the box.

BTW, I am in my mid-50's. OOOOOLlllllddddddd.......:D

ME

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

GIMME GIMME!!!! I cant WAIT!!

Port Norris, NJ(Zone 7b)

I did a lot of traveling when I was younger, had kids in my 30's and now
an old fart who doesn't want to leave the house & garden cause we're still
$##@%^ renovating "this old house".

Went to Europe twice. Traveled up & down the eastern seaboard more times
than I want to count. Haven't yet been west of the Mississippi but not sure that
will even happen unless we go to Seattle to visit Nick's children & grandchildren.

My daughter had an excellent but exhausting time at Superbowl. Two days before
the players family found out their hotel had an infestation of bed bugs & were
relocated to the rooms allotted for employees who had won tickets to go. Sooo
Sunday she was up at 4am - got to the airport by 6. Partied all day, went to the
game, partied till 2am, at 4am she was on the plane heading back to Boston. Sent
her a text at 6:30 & she said they had just landed. Oh to be young again & have the
energy for an all nighter !

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

That exhausted me just hearing about it! Ugh.
Glad she had a good time.

Ive not "traveled" much but Ive lived in 7 states and did 6 of them in 7 years (non military!)
As far south as Mississippi (Memphis really), East to SC, west to NE and still firmly planted in MN. Visited Cozumel for 6 days - I think that will be my forever home...forever dreaming! LOL! LOVED it though. That has been my one and only foreign travel so far. There's still time.

GM all ,, sorry i didn't get on last evening had to be with a friend in the hospital.was very tired when i got home .
ME Hope your haven a great time with mom & sister my moms been gone since 97 miss her allot.
STEPH: Lookes as if you will have the robin landing at door step on the 8th :) will there be someone there to greet him :)))???

well i have a few calls to make this morning ya all take care have a great day :)
susie

Port Norris, NJ(Zone 7b)

Hmmm how about a traveling house party?
We hand deliver the seed box next time ? LOL
I'm positive I've got a sleeping bag around here somewhere.

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

Depending on what time he arrives, someone should be here...if not, he will leave it at my door. I have nothing planned for those next days so I can totally focus on the box!

Good to hear Steph . sounds as it might be pretty heavy .

AMANDA: Just checking to see if you got the robin back in flight yesterday or not ??? so we can give MRSSPEEDS a heads up :))
can you let us know please.

well off to the hospital this morning to take a few things up to my friend who is there for a few more days .
& i hope to plant a few more seeds :) so you all have a great day will be hack later.
susie

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Hello:

Sent you separate mail but sharing here too - told Susie I had a job interview yesterday which kept me out of the box and freaking out.

I'll get thru the box today and back in the air. Thanks for your patience and keep your fingers crossed as yours truly waits for a job offer from the HR director of the firm (yes going back to law because of my hurt hand).

A.

p.s. Please note that you may now upload up to 5 images...

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.