September 2011-Hopefully cooler!!

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

You got some old homes up there by you eh happ? I'm not really a fan of old houses' small closets and uneven floors! Those are some good photos of old houses happ. Wow, the colors, they are a bit bold!
I guess eccentric types just want to do that. Maybe they are thinking, "it's my house and I'll do what I want!" My cousin here owned a home in the city's "Truman corridor", which is a fancy way of saying it's a few blocks or so from Harry Truman's old house. Anyway, they are real picky (the Independence Historical Commission I think it's called) about what kind of everything you can put on it, or do to it, like siding and windows for example. They were requiring that they replace the windows only with wood windows, which was very expensive.
I'm a pretty eccentric type, I think I'd be a good old home owner! I remember years ago, a neighbor guy painted his house lime green! I don't know if he did it as a prank to see if any neighbors were gonna pipe up or what, about 3 weeks later he painted it a normal color!

Yeah, she has some lucid times. Sometimes she'll say something like, "is that still there?", or something like telling how to do something, but yeah every now and then she'll be pretty lucid. It comes and goes would be a good way of saying it. I can only hope to make it to her age, she'll be 87 on St. Pat's Day. Yeah, she was in bad pain the day the ambulance came. Her daughter came running out of her room to use the phone and I said "what's the matter?" and she said her "Mom just threw up and it looked like blood". Thanks for the compliment on my houseplants, billyp!

How about this Witch Hazel, not bad for one of an $8 bundle of 25 from the Missouri seedling program last year. Speaking of which, I'd be glad to have an order from that mailed here as the MO. resident.
If you're still interested Crit, I'm the man!
Will

This message was edited Sep 9, 2011 12:00 AM

Thumbnail by shortleaf
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

The witch hazel looks good Will!! Mine are finally planted in their spot. I hope they like it since it's more shade than sun. I need to get pics tomorrow.

Thanks Pepper. Here's a Witch Hazel that got planted today! It's still in the pot in the photo with the Banana, but it got planted about 7 feet from it, on the other side of that arbor in the photo. The first plant that I got planted today was a Banana 'basjoo' by the waterpond also. I'm curious if this Winter flowering on the Witch Hazel is as nice as they say! A Winter flowering plant just sounds neat! I'm gonna have about 16 Witch Hazels in total in the backyard. It's going to be a Winter flowering festival someday! You know, I just learned something on DG recently, if you click a photo in the same thread as you're typing a post in, if you've already attached a photo, you have to do it again because it unattaches itself by that, for some reason, (but, you don't lose the text you've typed, odd). Now I know why all those times that I thought that I forgot to upload the photo, actually, it automatically got unattached or is it detached? Either way it got cut loose!
Will

This message was edited Sep 8, 2011 11:59 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

Here is that Witch Hazel after I planted it. See the Grubworm that I uprooted? It duly got cut by the shovel! And I named a cat after that beast!

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

They call those houses painted ladies, when they are painted boldly. Those line the main street going into Plattsburg, course there are many many more. I think those houses close to Harry's house are beautiful and I am sure the historical commission is a pain, but at least when you buy them they are suppose to make you aware of the fact, keeps the neighborhood around there beautiful, I remember at one point it was looking horrible.

I planted some more things, daylilies, iris, and something else. Had a hardy hibiscus and I let it go without water, don't know how I missed it, but I hope it recovers, it was crunchy, need to get it planted. I think I am going to put the witch hazel by the drive so I see it in the early spring. Just have to figure out where DH will not mow it down when he is mowing, moving snow, or just driving...rofl.

My roses are just going crazy....which is odd, I didn't have the rain you guys got last weekend and things are really really dry up here.

Nice pictures, be sure and mulch that banana pretty good, at least that is what I read somewhere.

Yeah, the bananas will need a heavy mulch. At PG they even made wire cages about 3 ft tall and filled them with straw or something to help overwinter them. Just make sure to use something that will drain easily. Regular mulch and leaves will hold moisture. You don't really want that because they are fibirous and will rot. So straw or something else that is loose but warm will work.

Oh, I'm gonna mulch alright! Today, I got 3 year license plates for my big trailer, (that green one). I can get 4 buckets of mulch in it from the big Bobcat that they do mulch in! I think I'm going to get 3 or maybe 4 loads in the trailer, I have alot of mulch to get. They did all that at PG even for 'Basjoo's? The label says -20°. I hope they make it thru the Winter, I had to buy them from a nursery that doesn't do the 1 year guarantee on plants for the sale price. It was funny how they did that, I've never seen pricing like that, they had 2 prices, one for real cheap and a high price "with a 2 year warranty", that price was considerably higher.
I'd like to come up with some kind of plastic sheeting cut to fit around the 'Basjoo' trunks, to help keep the roots dry this Winter. I am willing to make a chicken-wire or some kinda wire wrap to fill full of leaves or something if I should.

Painted ladies eh!? Pink and red is some bold exterior paint! I wonder if the owners are maybe thinking something like, "I know that people are looking, I'm gonna paint it nuts!"!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Happ, doing all that is an accomplishment!! I had Sky Wings and lost it. I am now needing to divide the others I have, so that's another bed that needs attending to.

Gorgeous house!! But I would hate to keep up the outside!

Oh, I love the pink house too and I'm glad she sold the birdbath to you!

I like the last one! I love a lot of windows and would love to be able to walk out on the roof!

Will, ROTFL over the lime, but only if he mean't to. Sometimes paint really dries a different color. I've seen blue houses and wondered what the people were thinking.

I wondered. A lady here, who ended up with something like alzheimers, had appendicitis and I wondered if they could tell someone it hurt before it really hurt.

87 is a good age, but it's a shame she isn't always aware.

The witch hazel looks great!

Pepper, I think they do like shade don't they, or am I thinking of azalias?

Will, hmmm on losing the photo but not the text.

I can't wait to see how your plantings grow by next Fall. I smash all grubs :o)

Happ, cool on the ''painted lady'' name! I've never heard that.

Yeah, I have to agree that restoring the old homes should be kept as they were. A pain, but those buying love the idea.

I hear you on moving snow over your little tree.

A friend up by Chicago says her roses are going crazy too.

Will, sometimes the people that paint too extreme, ARE nuts, LOL! A well done house can look pretty good.

It's Friday. We may get rain, but not much. I hope to get a lot more done before it does.

Here is a picture of one of my roses but the color isn't right. It is a brillant bright red....only bad thing about my camera.

Billy if my sky wings makes it I will share with you. Sort of late planting it so I am a little concerned but better than being in the pot all winter.

I know the succulant pot behind the rose is blurry but it did really well. I have been experimenting with succulants so now i need to replant them into something and bring them in, some are hardy but some are not and I don't remember what is what...rofl.

Thumbnail by happgarden

Here is a brugmansia that is blooming up a storm, I don't think I have any other flower that smells as wonderful as this does.

I have another with two bloom that should open this weekend.

Thumbnail by happgarden

Funny you mention appendicitis billyp, it also struck me about it, so I asked the day before she went to the hospital, she had her appendix removed long ago I found out, I heard that can be painful in the gut.
I didn't get much done outside today, I was gone most of the day. I did get one very large Weeping Japanese Maple planted. I was having some doubt if I was going to be able to get it out of the pot it's been in.
I wrestled that thing for 20 minutes, rolling it around and trying to get a grip on it to get it out! I was trying hard not to break off much foliage, some broke off anyway! But, I finally got it in the ground and mounded some dirt up around it. I dug a hole but prolly only about a third to a fourth of the rootball actually sat in the hole. I didn't want to make it flush with the ground. I wanted a little bit of a mound for it. I think that will look okay I hope.
But, the form of this little tree is funny, the branches come way down and will drag on the ground because they are longer than the trunk! So, I'm hoping to minimize that as much as I can also, now I just hope the whole thing doesn't fall over!

I was visiting a friend today and what do I see in her backyard? A mature stand of Bamboo! I couldn't believe it, it was around 20 feet tall! I think it's been a nuisance to her, she said she's been cutting it down because it's spreading. I told her that's pretty rare in Missouri, there isn't many bamboo's that will grow here. She said I could have some, so I may go over there and dig some up. I might make something like a barrel for them to sit in, in the background of my landscaped backyard, well, landscaped in my mind right now..lol

Thanks billyp, I am hoping that Witch Hazel does alright where I planted it. I was reading something today about Witch Hazel and they said it could get up to 20 feet tall and wide! It better not get that big or I'll be in big trouble!

Neat, a concrete planter full of succulents, I might do that too, that looks good.

Oh, it rained like the dickens here today, I don't have to water again for a few days!

Oh, I have to get a brug now!
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

I read that about the witch hazel too. I read it's because it likes to sucker apparently. lol. I hope I don't have that problem either. The space for it isn't that big. lol

Post a pic of the Jap maple Will. I was just reading about different ones hardy to our area in the latest edition of Organic Gardening. I want one of those that gets all twisted and gnarly now. LOL

Sure, I'll post one of it. All I have to show it's real nice red Fall color is from 2 years ago. Last year it wasn't quite as nice in Fall color. That poor thing's been dug up at least twice, potted a couple times, I've hauled it everywhere, yet it keep's going! It's not all twisted up like a Harry Lauder's Walking Stick, however it does weep like crazy. And if I remember, they were quite proud of the price on it.
Will

This message was edited Sep 10, 2011 4:53 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

Here it is closer up. I don't know what cultivar it is, well, until I find the papers on it. It came from Suburban Lawn and Garden in 2007. Isn't this a dazzling red?!

Thumbnail by shortleaf

Beautiful tree Will....wowzer.
I am guessing you can trim and keep the witch hazel under control? DH will shoot me also if it gets to suckering and going nuts, so we will see...rofl.
You be careful with the bamboo Will, you keep tempting fate.... ;)
That concrete planter belonged to my Mom she had it when she lived in southern Missouri and when she moved in with me she gave it to me. I really like the succulants in it....digging them up not so much, the planter just weighs too much to move.

Thanks happ, that Japanese Maple is a knockout most of the time, wish it were mine! I'll trim that Witch Hazel into submission! Well, if I must!
Yeah, I do tempt fate pretty good at times. I love Bamboo, I wish it was easier to have and stuff. But, look at you building a bench AND a Pergola. And all that cleaning and organizing you do, with a full time job! I think you're the busybee! Billyp says too, I don't know how you do everything you do do! It's good to have things planned out daily. I feel bad if I don't at least get some little thing accomplished during the day. I tell my friend, "I'm trying to earn my keep!"! She just laughs!
I love the concrete planter full of Succulents! There is a concrete planter here, now I know what I want to do with it, it's empty right now.
Here is that Weeping Japanese Maple in the daylight, (all the way in the back, you can see how it's elevated some in a mound). That's the newly planted Witch Hazel all the way over to the right in the photo, I hope it has enuff room! I am digging this rain, boy that stinks for TX. and places that are suffering with fires and drought, send the rain there. -
Will

This message was edited Sep 10, 2011 11:18 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

I went to The Home Depot and did a return and mostly shopping as it turned out! I got 2 $4 ea. Mums, 2 $4 ea. Hibiscus 'Luna Red's and a $2.98 variegated Vinca Minor, which is a ground cover, cuz it would maybe be real nice eventually, in a hanging basket. I have this thing about buying stuff when it's small or tiny, but mostly cheap! Then, in a couple years they're a decent size and I can show them to people, I am no longer ashamed of them! haha!
For example, the variegated Ficus in the above photo was under $2 in 2007! That Sago Palm was also tiny in 2007 and quite cheap then, $7 I think. I bought that Asparagas Fern, in the same photo, for under $3 earlier this year. I tell you, I'm a cheapo! But, I've seen some real nice plants for sale for some real money (not monopoly money...lol)! I'm gonna need to part with some money every now and then, to have some decent plants and stuff in enuff quantity too.
Here is 1 Hib. tonite. I wanted that big bud out in the front in case it decided to bloom! Sorry about all the blocks in the photo, I'll be moving them soon. And my cheesy measuring tape, geez, it made the photo, I was just
measuring it's hole so it was centered between the 2 Bananas.
I thot "hardy Mums" would come back year after year, but I don't know what I was thinking, I looked at the small print when I got back and it said annual. But I got 2, so now I can put them on display and keep up with the Joneses with my Mums this Fall!

This message was edited Sep 10, 2011 9:39 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Happ, thanks. I don't think it's too late to plant anything. At least up to November, the plants will contimue making roots if the top growth stops. I'm moving phlox, iris and all kinds of things now. The other day I just moved a 6' tall lavender hyssop. The bumble bees didn't miss a beat and it didn't even wilt. I've never seen it get so big. I'll have to get a picture. It's the second large one I moved.

The rose is beautiful anyway and I love the planting of the succulents!

Brugs are sooo pretty!

Will, did they find what was wrong with her? Vomiting bloody looking stuff can't be too good. It sounds like an ulcer. Maybe you worry her? LOL! (Since we know she cusses you out.)

Cracking myself up with images of you ''wrestling'' the tree. I have a pretty ''cartoon'' based mind sometimes :o) Actually that is a huge accomplishment just to get it out. If it's not all the way in the ground, and just mounded, throw mulch on it so rain or the hose won't expost the roots.
I like the branches!

Wow, 20' tall bamboo. That would make a nice living screen!

I've seen witch hazel taller than wide. I'll bet you could trim each Fall to get the branching the way you would like them. tall would be fine unless it's under a highline.

I know, those brugs just sell themselves don't they?

Pepper. mow those suckers off :o)

I love the twisted gnarly trees. I lost leaves off my Harry Lauder this summer and hope it's not dying. We did water it before the drought and it's pretty old. It should be established.

Will, it's a most beautiful tree! If I got one, it would just about be the one!

Happ, laughing. Trim and mow the suckers before he has a chance to see the problems :o)

I like the planter too, and being from your Mom makes it better.

Will, ROTFL! Don't worry, you do earn your keep! Plus, how pretty is the back yard getting?

No shame in the little. Besides you do a good job of keeping them alive.

A lot of people grab the mums just to have Fall color.

Cool! The Luna will really take off next year!

Another busy day outside. I'm finally digging into the little iris and moving them around to different places. I took a lot of heliopsis out that just went all over, and am replacing it with phlox seedlings since I love each one. No rain so no more mowing right now. It feels good to get it all done.

"Black Knight" caryopteris. I just love the deep blue and the bumblebees are all over it!

Thumbnail by billyporter

Will had to laugh about I will move this or that in the photo....seems every time I take a photo I see all the stuff laying around that should be somewhere else, funny I don't see it when I am walking around, or taking the photo, just see it when I am getting ready to post it. Mums are strange plants and some do come back every year, but at hd and lowes you have to read the tags cause they do that kind of stuff all the time. I bought a hibiscus there one time that was under the perennial area and yes it is perennial if you live in Ark. in zone 7, but not KC. I bought the mum "helen" 3 times before I finally got one to come back every year and it has been a happy camper now for probably 4 years.

I am a huge believer in cheap plants and small ones actually transplant better than the bigger ones. I have been scouring the discounted plants at hd and lowes. I did find Sat. and lowes a really nice patio umbrella for 25.00, it is really big, nice color and will look good in my tropical garden. Also stopped by goodwill and found two wicker chairs for 6.00 a piece, so now I am on a mission for seat cusions while they are on sale. Once I get those I will know what color to paint the wicker chairs, all going in my tropical garden under the perg.

Thanks for the info Billy on transplanting until November. I was a bit concerned about that, but needed to get things done. That plant is beautiful, and sounds tough, love the bees being around. No one here is allergic to them. Don't want stung but sure want the bees to be good and healthy cause we need them.

I might of gotten 5 rain drops yesterday, got really black and then the clouds split and go around our house...rofl.
The perg and the potting bench are late fall, nice day projects this winter since I am busy planting. I am scribbling and rough sketching how I think I want the potting bench, searching the internet for ideas and pictures, I want to make the best one I can cause I am only doing this once...rofl. Anyone got any suggestions or pictures that they have seen please let me know. I bought a huge piece of stain glass at a junk store for 25.00 (don't know why it was so cheap) but it is narrow and long and that is going in the back of the potting bench above my tools and stuff. It is of a vine with flowers and butterflies on it.

I will take another picture of the brugs today because it is changing colors, goes from white to pale pink to dark pink. I have anothr blooming now, just barely opening.

Oh, I do like a cheap little plant! Its hard to believe this one was around $1.96 in 2007, in a 4" pot! I am going to try to keep it out of so much direct sunlight next year, I think that is what gave some of the leaves sunscald.

This message was edited Sep 12, 2011 4:07 AM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

Well, a little bit has changed back in the backyard, not a terrible lot so far. But, in the next month or 2, before the weather turns nasty, I have plans to do a whole lot. The biggest so far, that we rolled that car into the garage and the Peach tree is a little taller. My green trailer is visible in the second photo, in both it's full of trash. In the first photo, it is blocked by the car but you can see how tall the trash is stacked in it still.
I put these 2 photos together, it's only less than 6 months difference. I'm kinda turning the corner on cleaning up and organizing the outside now! Now, I'll get hit by a bus!

Haha! I hope I do earn my keep! The yard is coming along, I'll be excited to post a photo hopefully by Fall's end of the fantastic yard.

We don't think it was blood that the elderly lady threw up, maybe just some brownish stomach contents. They said at the hospital it was a bladder infection after running tests. She must be feeling better she is eating and drinking, everything is as normal as normal can be. I just got back from McDonalds to get her a cheeseburger a few minutes ago. She does cuss me at times! I'll never forget when she told me, "the Sheriff is coming to get you, you sob!"! Oh, and the time she told me, "I'm sorry Will, but I'm going to have to have you arrested for this blank!"! For anyone that might not know, she has been very imaginative at times! She has had make believe going alot. We know she doesn't feel well, we don't laugh or give her any grief, she is still the queen.
Last nite she says, "I'm gonna throw up", we were both in there, her daughter says "Mom, please don't throw up", she never threw up, I think she likes saying she's gonna throw up now! Last nite she says there's a stob in her neck and she can't put her head on the pillow!

Would love to see more pics of you're brugs happ, they are beautiful.

Haha! My sleeves were all muddy from the ordeal with that big pot! At one point, the pot rolls into the hole and I'm thinking "well, isn't that just great!" Unfortunately, the tree had to come out of the pot first!
It took me about 10 minutes to get the pot out of the hole, then I still had to get the tree out of the pot!

A nice screen that Bamboo would make indeed! I've been trying to think of a way to get it here without cutting it.

I potted up my 2 Mums. The blooms were still closed, so in a day or 2 they'll be on display for all to see!
Nice Caryopteris billyp. I almost bought one yesterday at The Home Depot but I know so little about them.
Will

This message was edited Sep 11, 2011 8:11 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

I found an old photo of that variegated Weeping Fig up there. - I'm thinking now, "oh boy, it gets much too large for a houseplant, (12 ft. tall)!". Actually, I'm not sure if I bought it early 08' or late 07'.
http://www.almostedenplants.com/mall/Variegatedweepingfig.asp Geez, what was I thinking, that thing was small!!

This message was edited Sep 11, 2011 9:42 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Happ, cracking up. I too see the mess after the picture!

I can't wait to see the finished version of your tropical garden. It's funny how it all fell in place. The bchairs are a bonus!

AWESOME on the stained glass!!

Will, a very good buy! I tend to over water potted plants and houseplants so I don't do them, LOL!

Smiling, progress really changes how things look and no doubt you'll get the pots put away and move whatever needs moved. Just getting rid of trash is a big step!

She is a card! I think I forgot it was a bladder infection. I'm glad it was easily cured with meds. She shouldn't have to suffer.
I am smiling over her saying she's going to throw up.

CRACKING up over the pot rolling in the hole. I've had that happen, but not with anything as heavy as that.

I didn't know anything when my neighbor gave me a seedling off her's, so go back and get it! LOL! Mine stays small, and if not, you can trim them. I will do that if mine starts to get bigger. They just start blooming now so are a beautiful blue for Fall color. Mine is in the shade of a walnut tree, so that might keep it smaller too.

A lot has changed in the pictures!

Lets hope it's a very slow growing fig. You might get many years enjoyment before you have to top it.

I'm still working on the small iris. I have three clumps to go. I actually got far enough into the bed to easily dig out one Casa Blanca lily. It's in a pot. Two more to go and then I have to figure out where I'm going to replant them. Im also going to tackle the huge rootball of 5 lilies that were in one pot. I dumped all in a big hole and hope they magically unknotted themselves since last Fall.

I have been busy and not getting much sleep here. lol. Had to work Sat and then went to movies with some friends. Went and saw The Help. Highly recommend that movie!! Didn't get home til midnight and had to be up again at 3am to hit the road at 5am. Yesterday was my neice's birthday so we drove to Des Moines to go see her. Took my 4 year old nephew who drove me nuts yesterday morning. lol. I kept trying to go back to sleep after we stopped for breakfast but he wasn't having none of that. Kept saying it's not dark so I don't need to sleep. Kept yanking on my arm and yelling at me to not go to sleep!! Next time he comes over and tries to nap during the day I might return the favor. LOL

Will and Crit, your bushes are boxed up. They will go out tomorrow. Make sure to give them a good soaking because they are dry right now. I got them dug up, the hydrangas put in their place, witch hazels and several other plants mulched and the bed with my deutzias and lilac weeded. All in all a productive afternoon.

I set that big Weeping Fig on the porch, I'm bringing it and a couple others in tonite. I better not gamble with some of my pretty houseplants so long! In the reading that I've been doing on the Fig, they say minimum 60° F, I thought closer to 40°! It gets under 60° every nite! I hope it grows slow too! I've already cut the top off once because I think the low light in the Winter weakens it pretty bad and it droops over like it's rubber!

Really, a lot has changed ya think?! Well, I'll take a lot! But, it needs a bunch of attention still.

Here is one of my 2 Mums, it's white. I have a better photo, but it was getting dark tonite but now both my Mums are on display but they're not open yet. The other Mum is dark red.

Oh, this is the time to shop Lowes and maybe The Home Depot for Fall specials, (prolly all stores and nurseries). Last Fall, I bought three trees and several plants at half price because it was clearance for the year. The trouble with that is, don't expect a great big selection! But, I've never found the pickings to be terrible even then.

A friend says Mums like Home Depot and Lowes in Spring aren't hardy but in the Fall they are hardier but still not hardy enuff to last all Winter.
I saw that Pier One imports has a huge selection of cushions but not necessarily cheap. We had a $100 gift certificate to there last year and we were checking out cushions but we got $40 ea. ceramic fish instead!
Oh, she is a card alright, last nite she had Lemonade at 4 in the morning!

Cool, thanks Pepper, I'm looking forward to it, I'll water it good! It sounds like you've been busy! Oh, the joys of childhood!
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

Will, those mums might suprise you. Even though they say annuals they might come back. All of mine that are in the ground come back every year. And the pots said annuals. lol

I'll plant them after they bloom! That would be nice to have Mums all year!
Thanks

I have found if I don't trim the mums back in July or whenever they tell you to do it, my Mums still bloom in the fall and survive the winter much better. I think triming them back and changing their living pattern weakens them. No scientic proof, just my impression.

Here is the stuff I have collected for my potting bench.
Porcelin sink from dumpster diving
glass window that is 6 feet long and narrow to run along the back of bench at eye level. The bench will be free standing so the sun can shine thru it
furnace grate so my new potting soil can fall thru it to a bucket below

Now what am I forgetting, what would you like in a potting bench? It will have shelves and be really big, cause I know I will use up the space, that will not be a problem...rofl. The one I have now might be 3 feet long and heavens I can barely do anything on it.

Thought about putting pegs achored to the bench to slide the pots over, cause they are always getting blown around.

Thumbnail by happgarden

Will here are some more brug blooms, look at the long trendils on these....

Thumbnail by happgarden

Here is looking up at the flower. Wish I could send you the aroma, omg they are wonderful.

Thumbnail by happgarden

Yeow happ! That will be a neat potting bench when you're done! Wow, a sink on it, that will be nice. And sifting the dirt, that is also a good thing to have, it could get rocks out and big clods of dirt.
And that glass woo wee! You want it nice! Hey, if Martha Stewart can have a nice potting bench so can everyone else!! Me in a potting bench? I'd like at least a garden hose, but you got that well covered with a sink.
A vise on mine for making outdoor woodwork would be sweet. I don't have a potting bench right now, I better work on having pants first! lol
I like birder's bench also - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=8777095

And speaking of porcelain, thats what you're Brugs look like! They are beautiful happ! Now, I want that but I don't know if I can find a place to overwinter it.

Here is a wider shot of the front porch. Thats the dark red planter of Mums over on the far right. That stack of green suet cages is all ready! Thats my Asparagas Fern and my Spider plant in the photo to the left, they're just there temporarily for now, I'll bring them in in a day or so. Right now, its so warm, but starting tomorrow nite in KCMO it's going down there at nite they say, (44°). - http://www.weather.com/weather/today/64054:4:US
I brought my Weeping Fig in last nite, but I didn't need to, and I hear a cat was laying in it! I can't have that because then they start going to the bathroom in it. I tried to keep my mug out of the reflection in the photo.
How about my string holding that chair, well, it keeps it from blowing away! And that rectangular planter is about to get moved. The Coleus and the Sweet Potato Vine are still looking good though. Some of the other stuff is all flopped over and they look dastardly. But, I saw some of the mints in it that are hardy, (like the Grapefruit Mint and the Banana Mint, both zone 4 and -30° the labels say). So, I'll just set aside the whole thing and let Mother Nature do her thing on them.

Altho, I'd like to start cuttings from the Coleus first before I leave the rectangular planter out for the elements. Does anyone know if the Sweet Potato Vine can be done that way also, or is it done for the year?
That empty looking blue pot has sand and cigarette butts in it, I don't smoke, but some other aides do. I see I need to repair some non-skid tape, and that stuff was so expensive, $19.99 for a 20' roll.
And that bucket of Euonymus 'Emerald and Gold' I think is what it's called, is going to be on display, it's a Winter stalwart.
Will

This message was edited Sep 13, 2011 4:29 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

I am going to be a busy little girl tonight hauling things in....dang.

Thanks Will, I hope it turns out good, someone on another site said I need peg board for tools, course I know that won't hold up outside, but I could put some heavy wire in a section under the glass and hang hooks and tools on there.

I know some folks overwinter brugs in the basement or cool garage (not frozen) with shop lights, mine go in the solar room or garden room, so that is one problem I don't have if I can get them indoors. Good luck everyone hauling things in. I know coleus do not cold weather.

I brought in all my tropicals except for what are in the big pots. I will get to those later in the week probably. They will be ok since the only ones I really need to worry about saving are the sweet potato vines, elephant ears and some coleus for my grandma. I do need to get a small bag of potting soil so that when I dump one of the pots I can put my magnolia in it. Need to get burlap or something to insulate it this winter too. WIll burlap insulate a pot ok thru the winter? Or do I need something else?

Will, the sweet potato vine can be brought in as a house plant, cuttings or you can overwinter them like you do elephant ears. Cool and dark spot in basement or garage. They do get a late start when you do it that way but they will survive and thrive eventually.

Happ, glad someone mentioned peg board to you. I was thinking that or having hooks on the sides of the bench for hanging stuff. But something like a peg board will be better.

Thanks, I'm going to try cuttings of the Sweet Potato Vine also. My Grandma has the regular light green ones and I have a purple one. I'm gonna try my luck at making a bunch of them, they are so good for a planter all together in a shady spot, which I have alot of shade. I took a photo of my "hardy mums" label. It says hardy, but how hardy is hardy? I wonder what they mean by hardy, 30 degrees maybe 40?
Happ, I think you have 1 more day, I hope you weren't being a busy little girl all today!

Thumbnail by shortleaf

Heres the back of the mums label, heres where it says annual. I had to wash that label first, a cat puked a hairball on it! I've never tried burlap to overwinter myself, my uneducated guess would be that wouldn't be enuff.
I'm not sure I understand how you're doing it though.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Pepper, cracking up over your nephew! Just think, little boys don't get any better, LOL!! I sure hope you can catch up on sleep. Talk about running on fumes! Des Moines is quite a drive from you. I'll bet your niece was really glad to see you tho.

I see you are accomplishing Fall work too :o)

Will, laughing, you're pretty sure it's not really a rubber plant? LOL!

Just restacking the boards, putting the buckets away, or over by the shed, and wrapping up the wire would make it look like you did a lot more. Not criticizing. I am a great one for just making a ''mess'' look tidier. Sometimes that's all it takes to make it look like you worked all day.

I hope your Mums make it.

Happ, my neighbor has mums and usually does the trimming. Too much work!! I have a red and a white I dug from my friend's house after she passed. They bloom right before frost, LOL! I really need to get them to a good place and leave them alone. I keep moving them. Right now I just uncovered them. They were buried in the middle of a bed.

AWESOME on the sink!! We had one like it at home. We could take the ridged ''dishdrainer'' side off and the other side was deeper. We had baths in it when we were kids. Love the grate and the glass too!

I can't imagine what else you might need in there. I guess you think about potting. What are you reaching for?

The brug is such a beautiful color!

Will, smiling over the front porch. You've got it all under control!

It's hard to say if your mum will over-winter or not. I'd plant it, like Pepper said. You have nothing to lose.

Thumbnail by billyporter

Haha! I bet you weren't kidding about a Rubber Plant billyp, because actually it is very closely related, Rubber Plant is Ficus elastica and mine is Ficus benjamina! - http://www.gwenshealinggarden.ca/Foliage_Plants.Ficus.htm Although, they discuss the straight Weeping Fig here, mine is a variegated Weeping Fig, a sort of mutant of the regular one, mine doesn't get nearly that big.
I got the 2 Butterfly Bushes in the mail today, Pepper. There was a note that looked to be under the potted one, that said Black Knight, was the potted one the 'Black Knight'? I dipped them both in water first thing.
I'll get the postage to you soon. I took a photo of them, nice plants, thanks.
Boy, it is getting downright cold the next 2 nights! They are now saying a low possibly of 40° F tonite. They say it hasn't been that cold in 4 months. - Heres the Weather Channel for here - http://www.weather.com/weather/today/64054:4:US Heres a local forecast - http://www.nbcactionnews.com/subindex/weather/forecast/7_day_forecast I brought several houseplants in. Before I left the rectangular planter with the Coleus and the purple Sweet Potato Vines out, I took cuttings of them both, I'd love to have them growing for free here next year.

Thats true billyp, there is alot of easy stuff to do, I kinda started that yesterday, moving and restacking boards. But you're right, there is so much that can be done easily and quickly. I plan on getting medieval on all that stuff's backside before it's too cold to be outside for long. Hehe! I talk big there, but actually, there also is no motivator like having code enforcement and the police perusing all you're stuff either! They were just here about that unlicensed car up there, which has been in the garage since April, less than a month after that first "before" photo was taken. Altho, I'm sure they looked at the other stuff in an appalling fashion! I should've asked the cops if they wanted to water my plants while they were back there!

Who is that in the sink billyp? I saw that little thumbnail and I was like,"who the heck is in the sink?!"! Is that a little you in the sink?!
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

41°/63° Sunshine and a few afternoon clouds. Winds NNE at 10 to 15 mph.

Carole, thanks. It takes about 1/3 cup sugar per jar, but it's not much different than frozen concentrate. I've even made grape pie. It's different, but not fantastic.

Pepper, it's amazing how many plants a person can end up with, LOL! I hope you can squeeze them all in somewhere till this weather straightens up!!

I don't think it frosted, but it's cold out there all the same :o(

I'm going to put my North storm window on later. They are picking corn and the air is filthy with gravel dust. Since the wind has been in the N to NE all week, it's been pretty dirty around here.

DH covered the tomatoes with tarp yesterday and I picked 20 before he did.

I managed to move 10 daylilies to the West house wall last night. I was waiting to make sure the Wild Rose didn't come back. That would have been a mess! I can't wait to see how they look next year. The metal roof runs condensation almost every day, so the dirt was wet when I moved them. Luckily a lot of them were small and easier to move. A couple were old timers and I divided them. I'm hoping to never have to move them again, but I'm not putting the pea gravel back around them yet. All are various shades of yellow.

Thumbnail by billyporter
Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Hello! Everyone!

I just check my email today and sure too many!

So, JuJu got her tail injury 2 days ago I just don't know how is happen! I put her outside early morning and I was in bathroom and Rusty start barking alot and see outside what going on! So, JuJu got her tail sore and she will be okay for while as today I took her to WildCat Park which I go there sometime for walk... Nice day today and very so cold ha ha!

I check on August thread and sure I still have my laptop and my Internet is off now and it terrible to pay for the Internet so I need to get a big break from Internet for 9-1/2 yrs... I will be on either in middle of October or after first new year 2012...

There is tornado death toll is now 162... 2 old peoples died in hospital and nursing home...

I clean up my house and sure too much dusts!

Well, it nothing for garden this time and I just clean up my yard and I try for 5 gallon buckets next year...

Take Care everyone!

This message was edited Sep 15, 2011 10:10 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.