Photo by Melody
Announcements
The ability to post new threads and comments is currently off-line. We are working to restore this feature.

Central Midwest Gardening: September 2011-Hopefully cooler!!, 1 by shortleaf

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright shortleaf

In reply to: September 2011-Hopefully cooler!!

Forum: Central Midwest Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of September 2011-Hopefully cooler!!
shortleaf wrote:
I went to The Home Depot and did a return and mostly shopping as it turned out! I got 2 $4 ea. Mums, 2 $4 ea. Hibiscus 'Luna Red's and a $2.98 variegated Vinca Minor, which is a ground cover, cuz it would maybe be real nice eventually, in a hanging basket. I have this thing about buying stuff when it's small or tiny, but mostly cheap! Then, in a couple years they're a decent size and I can show them to people, I am no longer ashamed of them! haha!
For example, the variegated Ficus in the above photo was under $2 in 2007! That Sago Palm was also tiny in 2007 and quite cheap then, $7 I think. I bought that Asparagas Fern, in the same photo, for under $3 earlier this year. I tell you, I'm a cheapo! But, I've seen some real nice plants for sale for some real money (not monopoly money...lol)! I'm gonna need to part with some money every now and then, to have some decent plants and stuff in enuff quantity too.
Here is 1 Hib. tonite. I wanted that big bud out in the front in case it decided to bloom! Sorry about all the blocks in the photo, I'll be moving them soon. And my cheesy measuring tape, geez, it made the photo, I was just
measuring it's hole so it was centered between the 2 Bananas.
I thot "hardy Mums" would come back year after year, but I don't know what I was thinking, I looked at the small print when I got back and it said annual. But I got 2, so now I can put them on display and keep up with the Joneses with my Mums this Fall!

This message was edited Sep 10, 2011 9:39 PM