Bromeliads for novices and serious addicts #14: Oct 2010

Brisbane, Australia

Here ya' go with a new thread.
We can from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1126416/

I haven't got any really recent pics with me, but here ya' go with Quesnelia testudo.

Hmmmm another another edit to get this to the top of the Aust Gardening thread list ahead of the prev thread...

This message was edited Oct 3, 2010 5:43 AM

Thumbnail by LeisaD
Brisbane, Australia

Hmmm I'm gonna try a post to see that takes it to the top....

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Good one Leisa, you got in early! great minds think alike!
Wendy, I am glad your sale was a success. The Aprons are a good idea. i might make one to keep my clothes a bit cleaner, although, it seems I don't own tidy clothes anymore. When did that happen?
I was sitting in bed reading the paper yesterday and in the garage sales was a Bromeliad sale. It was 6.45, and the sale started at 7. I was out of bed, dressed and did the drive into town and the sale address by 7. And I didn't speed! (driving anyway) mind you, my hair was unbrushed, I only had the trakkies on and I hadn't brushed my teeth. Thank god for hubbys stash of peppermints in the car! Anyway, I have been to this ladies place before and she has a lovely full sun garden, with broms all living in extremes, so it was good to see how much sun the different plants can take. Very reasonable prices $2-$10. I bought about 8 plants and spent $45. Most of the plants I have already, but I bought an unnamed Plant that might be a Portea or a Hohenbergia (will be a surprise) a good coloured Aechmea 'Freckles' (even though I have one, I couldn't resist the price) and another unnamed plant that looks like it might be Aechmea 'Echidna' but I will have to wait and see. So that was a nice morning, considering that since then, all its done is rain! (75mm overnight)
I'm hoping the weather will give us a break today, as my daughter is visiting, and I'm sure she'd like to get out and about. There were alot of activities planned in Coffs over the long weekend, but I fear most will be washed out. I'm pretty sure the markets will be a fizzer today. I'm definitely not going there. Thank goodness for yesterdays sale!
Anyway, happy gardening sunday everyone, and thanks for the new thread Leisa
Pic is Alcantarea burle-marxii coming into flower
Sue

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Brisbane, Australia

Hello fellow brom lovers. Yesterday we went to Wendy and John's brom sale and though I didn't spend much I still came home with an exciting box full. I took pics, but the miniatures didn't turn out too well, so will try again when it stops raining. Need good light and a plain background. But here are the 3 main ones I bought. Thanks Wendy and John, for the extra treats you put in my box. I am wrapped.

Karen

*Vrisea Fosteriana Red Chestnut
*Aech. Fasciata
*Neo Red Throat Albo Marginata

This message was edited Oct 2, 2010 3:24 PM

Thumbnail by DawnSong
Brisbane, Australia

Got the little ones.
Karen

*Neo Fairy Paint X Chlorosticta
*Neo Marble Throat
**Neo UNK and Tillandsia UNK (Wendy told me but I don't remember)
*Neo Black Beauty trying to hide, just a baby.

Thumbnail by DawnSong
Brisbane, Australia

Sorry, a third post, then I'll stop.
This neo doesn't yet have a name. Can anyone help, please? Also, Wendy, can you give me the name of the Tillandsia please? I don't have a memory - my grand daughter tells me it needs a new battery.

Karen

Thumbnail by DawnSong
Brisbane, Australia

Hi all, just trying to catch up. Sue, I agree with you about Charleen's pretty brom. It sure looks like a Billbergia pyramidalis. Glad to hear you had a fun morning. No better way to kick off a wet weekend than with a brom sale. Karen, it sounds like you had a great time at Johnny and Wendy's. I've been there heaps of times and every time I go I still fnd something new and exciting. Their Vr. Red Chestnut is one of my favourites too. Johnny must like you. Getting him to part with one of his Vr. is like pulling teeth. Just kidding, Johnny. Glad to see you're back in brom world, Leisa. You must be starting to feel better.
This is one of my favourite minis, Neo Dinkum.

Thumbnail by brombirdie
Brisbane, Australia

Lovely neo that one, Jen. Wendy wondered if you might know the name of the red spotted neo in my last pic? And yes, I didn't really want to leave but felt I had to before my pockets were emptied (or Wendy's whole garden).

Leisa, are you home, or posting from your hospital bed? Either way, hope you are much improved.

Karen

This message was edited Oct 2, 2010 7:42 PM

Brisbane, Australia

Karen, there are lots of spotty minis but the only ones I have with quite a long, narrow leaf are Pepper ( Not Mo' Pepper Please) and Jack Smack. Mike is the person to ask about minis. He has rows and rows of them. This is another pretty mini called Domino. Jen

Thumbnail by brombirdie
Christchurch, New Zealand

well I have arrived in Sydney, raining here...
really hope it clears up for the next week while we are all here en masse for my brother's wedding.
looking forward to getting a closer look at broms while we are here.

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Good scores Karen, and wendy (money wise). I'm not sure about your unknown mini, but it looks like an olens hybrid. Maybe grow it on abit or wait for Karen s answer. When next I'm back at jens, I will definitely go look at wendys again. theres an awful lot to look at! You really need a bed for the night I reckon!
Neo Dinkum looks good jen. You must have it in the perfect spot! I love seeing well grown and coloured neos! I also like Domino, so can you put it on my list?
Theresa, I told you not to bring the rain! Did you bring any sheep? cause you might need one to eat the grass before you can walk around my place. i tell you, if we had cattle they be giving some pretty good milk! So greeeeeeen! I hope it eases up while you are here. At least it helps to keep the temperature down, and the dust. I have the woodfire going today to dry the washing, but am walking around in a sweat! phew!
I am going stir crazy, and if the rain doesn't ease by tomorrow, I am going to get wet, because I really want to get a couple of things done!
Anyway, its about time i went to bed, but I'll leave you with a pic of Neo 'jean Evans' in the garden. They are a smaller Neo, and seem to cope very well with quite a bit of sun.
Sue

Thumbnail by weed_woman

Karen that till is a fasiculata. I hope it grows for you. the pup was hard to get out with the main plant so jammed into the top of that stump with all the pups squashed in around it. Should have thinned them a lot sooner. They are quite hardy so should be fine. Jen I love those two little neos and I don't have either of them. Sue I don't think I have a jean evans either although I do have a nice little red one like that but without a name. Does yours have fine gold spots underneath the red leaves of the pups but fade out on mature plant? That's what mine does.
If yesterday was so busy today was the opposite. very slow due to heavy rain. Had a couple of good sales and had time to spend with both visitors walking around the yard selecting plants. Also had time to read Sunday paper from cover to cover. Johnny had time to slip upstairs for a lie down. I think yesterday really took it out of him but he wouldn't admit that. Jen I think Karen coming from this forum makes her an instant friend therefore Johnny was willing to part with one of his babies. He enjoyed the chat he had with Karen and Barry (I think the name is correct). Sue that Alcantarea looks interesting. I've never heard of a burle marxii before. We have a burle marxii but not an alcantarea. I think it is a neo and it is getting a nice pink flush at the moment. I will get a photo when it gets a bit more colour and post it for you all to see.
Pic is Vr erotica red form which is flowering at the moment. we intend to cross it with red chestnut (also flowering).
Wendy

Thumbnail by perke_patch

Leisa thanks for starting the new thread. It seems this is your job. I tried to do it last night but just couldn't work out how. Knew I could rely on you. Hope you are feeling better. Any idea yet when you get to go home to your broms?
The red neo that Karen got ie fairy paint x chloristicta is growing in a basket in full sun and thriving so far. It's a big basket if anyone wants to swap some. Jen this is the puple jasper I was trying to find for you Friday. If you want one l will have it ready for you.
Wendy

Thumbnail by perke_patch
Brisbane, Australia

Sue, I so agree, you do need a weekend to get through all Wendy's broms. The colours en masse are totally stunning. Those Jean Evans are beautiful.

Jen, that Domino is gorgeous. I love all broms, but the mini's tend to steal my heart above the others.

Theresa, I hope you get some good weather too. It has been lovely to get the rain, but too much of it, and it wears a bit thin on the nerves. Have a great trek around and see all you can. The brom gardens are spectacular up this way, don't know about down south.

Wendy, I hope John wasn't exhausted from all the visitors over the weekend, plus his treatment. Please give him our best wishes.

I took some photos of each of the newbies singly yesterday but then couldn't get them onto the computer due to "technical problems". The Neo. fairy paint x chloristicta is absolutely beautiful, as are all my new 'babies'. I love the Neo Red Throat Albo Marginata even without the colour as I love the way it is striped. And I've had Aech. Fasciata on my wish list for a long time, so feel that I've really scored. I had never sed the Vr Red Chestnut before, and it was love at first sight. And the apron is great. I've worn it already.

Karen

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Hi Wendy, yes jean Evans is a bit like break Of Day, and does have a bit of gold when its growing. My pics are mature ones, and I'm happy to swap for something next time I'm up if you want one, but it sounds like you have something very similar (if not the same )already. I hope johnny is feeling a bit better, take today off! I don't know much about Alc. burle-marxii either, but I was collecting Alcs that day! Anything with a different name to what I already had went in the boot!
Its still raining! We've had 300mm since friday night! (30cm or 12") We went for a drive toady just to get out of the house. We visited some friends, but on the way back there was this

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Coffs Harbour, Australia

so we went another way, but came accross this

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Coffs Harbour, Australia

so we went the long way home!
While at our friends, she spotted this dainty tree frog on her orchids. Too cute
Sue

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Brisbane, Australia

Sue, I had to have a chuckle at your typo "We went for a drive toady". I could just picture all these little toads having a great time in the rain. Jen

Sue I'm glad you got home eventually. wow we've had some rain haven't we?? it was lovely and sunny here today for the kids to go back to school. the ground dried out a bit. we have to bite the bullet and start our concrete paths. It got so slippery out the back on Sunday over near the tanks. We were slipping. We had to stop visitors from coming thru under the house because of the mud. One funny thing I must share is that a lady wanted a pot of small yellow punctatissima and when I was carrying it through under the house I noticed some longer thinner leaves sticking out amongst the small neos. On further inspection we realised it was quite a good sized alcantarea. We have no idea how the hell it got there. we haven't had an alc flowering in the yard so no seeds flying into the pot. We are stumped. SOOOOO always check your pots before selling plants, you never know what might be in there. Oh we took the stranger out and kept it.
Jen I found another basket of minis on Sunday. it was called black mood or dark mood or something like that. we will move it to a sunnier spot and see what colour we can get out of it.

Sue I know what you mean about getting washing dry in this weather. One of our sons turned up for tea last night with his basket of wet washing wanting to use the drier. so while were were having tea we dried 2 loads of washing for him. I also dried a load on Friday so it wouldn't be hanging under the house during the weekend. the poor drier doesn't get used often but that would have to be overtime for it poor thing. Wonder it didn't burn out. more rain predicted for rest of the week. I can see dirty sheets will still be in the basket next weekend waiting for a sunny day. Missed th sun today due to medical appts so bring on the sun please.......

Wendy

barmera, Australia

Gee it looks like you've been getting quite a bit of rain over there everyone. We had a couple of drops yesterday but otherwise it's been fine and sunny and quite warm. Have a few broms flowering. What's this one? Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris
Sunshine Coast, Australia

One of my newest Neos

Neo Flirtation

Thumbnail by Marleneann
Brisbane, Australia

This is one I actually have the name for. I got it from an open garden sale early in the year, and it seems to be a very fast grower as it has many new plantlets on it. The flower in the centre is plain white.
Karen

Neo Pauciflora...

Thumbnail by DawnSong
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Jen, I fix most of my typos! If you could see my posts before I proof read, you would be rolling on the floor! Don't know how that one slipped through, but glad it amused you. he he
Wendy, my husband won't allow a dryer due to soaring power prices. Stinge! Today is changing weather every 15 minutes, alternating between sun, cloud, rain and wind, so I have the clothes airer in front of the door to catch the breeze, but I'm guessing I won't be washing any bedding this week either.
Colleen, I'm not sure of your plant. It looks a little like Aechmea calyculata, but that is entirely yellow, so maybe it's a hybrid? Wherever did you get it?
Marlene, nice plant. I believe it s a parent of Jewellery shop?
Karen, Neo. pauciflora is a cutie. I like the way the pups don't look anything like the mum until they are bigger. I have been cutting them off and poking them back in the same pot, hoping for a full basket of them. Mine are a bit smaller and curlier than yours, maybe from being grown quite hard. I couldn't tell you when, if ever, they had fertiliser.
I wasn't able to go to work today because of how changeable the weather is (thats my excuse anyway) so I've been doing small sessions of weeding, mulching and replanting mini mondo in another area.
I will take a pic later, as I've almost finished a section.
Anyway, I think the last 15 minute burst of rain is over, so I might try to do a little more.
Sue

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Brisbane, Australia

Sue, that's a nice basketful there. I hung my Neo Pauciflora in a tree and just forgot about it. I love the way it has sent out pups on long stems and fills up the space. Your way would be just as lovely in a different way. It is interesting how the plant changes from spots to bands.

Nice Flirtation there Marlene.
Karen

barmera, Australia

Sue it would have been one that John brought up. There's no name tag but lots of pups. It has 2 new Mummas and an old one in there too. Colleen

Sue my pauciflora looks like yours ..... all spotty with curly leaves but my basket is overflowing with pups hanging in mid air all around. I'll take a photo tomorrow and post it.
We had sunshine this morning so I did a load of clothes early and got them on the line asap. I got them dry and off before the rain this afternoon. I was standing downstairs potting with chooks all around my feet when the heavens opened. By the time the chooks were put away I was quite damp but the new pots are all nicely watered before I put them away tomorrow. I took the chance and put the sheets on this afternoon. Hopefully the sun will shine in the morning to dry them before the predicted showers later in the day. Fingers crossed for sunshine everyone. I was looking on FCBS last night for a couple of names suggested for a couple of NOIDs we have. I didn't find the one I was looking for but came across Neo roxy (lamberts pride x charm) I printed out the photo and walked around and sure enough we do have it. So another one identified.

Thumbnail by perke_patch

this is mine but a lot more green has come out so it now looks just like above image. has everyone seen the new BSQ webpage? I don't like the colourscheme and the links haven't been set up ie FCBS link is not there on new page. Wendy

Thumbnail by perke_patch
Christchurch, New Zealand

saw broms in the gardens around Taronga zoo but no pics as they looked very sad & ratty...
there were some very nice cordylines with vivid red foliage, can't grow those at home either.

north coast nsw, Australia

perke_patch- wow! love roxy.

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Hello Karen, we all seem to have our own ways of growing and viewing things. I have seen N. pauciflora growing in trees where it hasn't been tampered with, and it IS very interesting the way it grows, thats what initially drew me to it too. I started with one plant, so am on my way to having a full basket, but have also left one plant out on its own to do its natural thing. I have another Neo called wilsoniana that is somewhat similar, but is yellow and has narrower pointier foliage. I think it gets the long stolons too.
Hi Wendy, that certainly looks like a match to N. 'Roxy'. How did you come by the plant in the first place? I haven't heard of it before. Is it a widely grown one? I still have a few NOIDS, but they have become garden plants, as there is nothing too flash amongst them and too hard finding names if they've never been registered. I haven't seen the new BSQ page yet, so must go and check it out. I have the FCBS site in my favourites, so no need for links. It is nearly always open in another tab while I am on the net, because there is always something I need to look up.
Hi theresa, save your pics for when you get here! The rain stopped around midday so I managed to get a bit more tidying up done. No chance of mowing the lawn for a few days yet, and thats only if we get some sunshine and a breeze! I hope the weather is kind for your visit! How did you like Taronga zoo? I haven't been there for ages! Nevermind about growing cordylines, I bet you can grow poppies and lavender?
Bree, how are your plants coping with all this water?
here is a bit of where I've been working. There was a path way through where the rusty wheels are, but I've closed it off because it was too much maintenance. It will soon be covered with gum leaves but at least for now it looks nice and neat!
Sue

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Brisbane, Australia

Sue, it looks lovely. Shame the leaves make such a mess. I have two large trees at the front and it never looks tidy there. Not to mention that the grass won't grow because one of the trees is a prickly paper bark. The fine, sharp leaves are like needles and cut grass off at the roots. I hate having trees taken down, but wish they'd take that one down.

Karen

This large staghorn was growing on the prickly paperbark. The weight has finally torn it from the trunk and the plant is too big and heavy for me to fix up. I am thinking I should cut it up into small plants so it has a chance of surviving. Any words of advice?

Thumbnail by DawnSong
north coast nsw, Australia

Dawn- you could always mount it on wood and/or get a few men to hoist it up a tree. hehe! or even hang it low.

This message was edited Oct 6, 2010 3:08 PM

Coffs Harbour, Australia

I'm for chopping it up Karen. I had one or two go the same way, and just divided them around onto other trees. You need a tree with smooth bark, or as Bree said, mount it on a peice of wood, then hang it some where.
The sun has been shining nearly all day! I managed to go to two jobs, which gave me some grocery money! Yay, we get to eat! Now that I've finished my little bit in the garden, I don't feel so driven, so i actually got my housework done too, and a little bit of washing. Nothing to do with bromeliads though, how depressing. Tomorrow, being friday, I might get home a bit early, and if the weather is nice to me, I may get to check in and see what needs doing in the brom house. I really need to get some potting mix, but I need like a trailer of the stuff! If I had a spare trailer, thats what I'd do, but I've got no where to store the potting mix, and if it rains it will wash away. Think I'll start looking for a cheap trailer.
Sue
This is Billbergia 'Pink Champagne' which i bought the other day for very cheap. Its a bit ragged, due to alot of exposure, but the colours in it are nice. I'm sure any new pups will repay me for my kindness!

Thumbnail by weed_woman

sue your garden looks nice. love the cart feature. it's nice to start a new area. We completely trashed another area last 2 days and redid it with new river graven underneath. Instead of putting all plants back again we decided to make the area for only striped neos eg hearts music and all the hybrids using it. Putting them all together shows all the slight differences in size, denseness and colour of stripes, colour of centre flush and tips etc. I will take a photo of whole area when finished.
here is my pauciflora with the long trailing pups.

Thumbnail by perke_patch

also have a similar plant but is much darker. It grows the same as pauciflora but is like a dark form of it. NoID so if anyone has any suggestions I would be grateful.
Wendy

Thumbnail by perke_patch
Brisbane, Australia

Wendy that dark purple plant could be Neo. Purple Princess. I've got it (from Olive Grove I think) & really like it, but haven't quite worked out how to get the best purple out of it yet. Purple;s somehomw are a challenge for me ;-)
Sorry for only lurking & not much posting guys. I'm out of hospital & feeling pretty good!!!
We just had a huge rain storm which woke me up - thought we might get washed away - the gutters were overflowing & the yard is now a lake. And there's washing on the line - douh!!
There's a few things in the garden starting to flower, in particular Vr. Splenriet finally - yeaaah! And my Till. usenoides is flowering - such tiny green flowers - I must take a pic. Another till is flowering with small fluffy purple flowers, which I'd like to identify.

Brisbane, Australia

Wow, good storm in the very early hours. Everything looks alive and thriving this morning so no damage done. I will have to cut up the stag. Shame, as it was a beauty and it takes many years to get them so big.

I do love these Brom pics. The huge variety of these plants means one never gets bored with them. Probably why they are so popular. Sue, I am sure that Pink Champagne will grow lovely and I look forward to future pics of it as I think it is a beauty.

Karen

This message was edited Oct 7, 2010 1:19 PM

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Hi Wendy, I think there might be a large and small form of Neo. pauciflora? Both yours and Karens look quite a bit bigger (taller) than mine. I have a peice of leisa Neo. 'Purple Princess' (thanks Leisa) so i must go out and see how its doing. I have it hanging on the back wall of brom palace, so it could be a bit green due to lower light. I did nuy another pauciflora that I thought was different, but when grown in the same light as the previous pictured one, it turned out to be the same. I thought your last one might have been N. wilsoniana Wendy? But I can see a couple of spots, and that reddish tinge. So hard to tell from photos!
Leisa, go back to sleep! you need your rest! I'm happy to see you back at home and am looking forward to seeing your pics. I hope the weather lets up enough for you to get out there.
Karen, once you put that Elkhorn in the right place it will thrive! My Mum used to tell us to throw our banana skins behind them, but mine do well without any meddling from me. Just go the eastern (morning sun)or southern (shaded)side of a tree for the best results and they'll grow in their preffered direction.
I pulled up some smaller heliconias today. They tend to wander around a bit, so if I pull them out periodically, it takes them awhile to get their vigour back. I'd love to pot up what i pulled out, but alas, same problem as yesterday, no potting mix! I also have two polystyrene boxes of mini mondo to pot, and another of a small leaved alternanthera aswell. Maybe i can rustle up some buckets and go to the landscape supplies for mix. It gets a bit heavy when its wet though.
I have spent this morning defrosting the freezer, and the freezer part of the bar fridge! OMG, their was bait stuck in it! And a freezer mug, and I still can't get the drip tray out untill it melts more. I had the hair dryer on it for ages, but am worried I'll burn it out. I don't think its been done for about 4 years! he he. The kitchen freezer gets a regular once over, but i don't usually go in the bar, thats hubbys domain.
Here are some Vrieseas down cordyline walk. They do well considering their neglect.
Sue

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Merino, Australia

Hello all. I love looking at all the gorgeous colors on here. My broms are looking like they know its spring. I see some color creeping into a few of the leaves. Gamosepala is growing a tall spike and i see a couple of pups hiding under mums.
here is one of my latest buys for a very small price.
Billbergia 'Euphemie Waterman'. Such a pretty one. I love the billbergias and will try to get a few more of the colorful ones .
I now have 17 bilbergias .
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.