Bromeliads for novices and serious addicts #14: Oct 2010

barmera, Australia

Hi everyone. Jean your broms are looking great. Sue if that comes up again just hit the "back" button top left of screen and hit send again. It happens to me and that's what I do. Colleen

Sue I will take some more photos tomorrow of the new areas. The new path area behind the house looks like it as always been there now instead of only 5 weeks. I think Johnny mows it at least twice a week. It takes all of 2 minutes maximum to do and is the quickest way to pick up leaves etc.
Karen I am sorry that you are needing hospital treatment. I know what it is like to sit for hours at the hospital. One day we sat all day and when staff started going home we asked when we would be seen only to find that someone had put Johnny's chart in the wrong pile and they thought he had already been seen. That is frustrating. But most of the time we do get very good care.
I couldn't fault the care I got last week when I spent the whole day in hospital having tests. The staff were great but when they gave me the option of staying overnight or going home I was out of there very quick. Couldn't wait to get home for a cuppa and somthing to eat. Leisa I am glad my stay was shorter than yours. Hope you are feeling better now and able to go home to stay soon.

I've just posted a few neos on ebay. Have to build up my paypal account so I can buy some more LOL.

This is the new lawn last week after a mow. Our grandaughter (almost 3) rides her bike around the path and last week we heard her say to Max (the dog) "move it dickhead". I think she's heard a bit too much roadrage.
Wendy

Thumbnail by perke_patch

and looking down through he broms
Wendy

Thumbnail by perke_patch
Brisbane, Australia

Wendy, I hope we get to see it for real on Sunday. Will certainly try. The photos look great. Some good rain here this morning.

Karen

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Wendy, that looks fantastic! It does look like its always been there! I bet Max is very tolerant, but probably was a bit deflated after being called a dickhead. he he
Karen, your Neo looks very similar to N. 'Raphael', which goes to show how hard it is to give a name to a plant when there are so many that look alike!
Colleen, I tried the back button, but my post was gone! I remember Dianne giving good instructions, using one of the Fnumbers (I think) but I didn't write it down and of course it was too late to go look for her post, I must go look for it now and write it down. It doesn't happen often, but when it does, Its most frustrating.
I didn't get home till after 6 tonight, so absolutely nothing done in the garden, unless you count drinking a glass of wine! I have plans to pick up a bucket of bark and deadhead the gardenias tomorrow.
I bought a couple of window/wall baskets today, and am going to plant them up with Aechmea 'Fosters favourite', which should look great when they are in flower. they'll go along the wall in the new garden area. I need a couple more though, but there was only one left. I hope they get some more in soon.
Anyway, time for bed already, so i'll be back tomorrow.
Sue

Thumbnail by weed_woman

Karen & Sue
I do have neo Raphael so I will go out tomorrow and compare those with the ones labelled albo marg like Karen bought from me. It will be good if they are the same.

I was browsing through Leisa's photos on facebook last night and came across one called Nidularium innocentii var paxianum which turns out to be my white longiflorum. Thanks Leisa for solving that mystery for me. Hope you are feeling better.

Haydee if you are reading this I look forward to seeing your first post and meeting you soon.
Thanks Jen for the referral. Hope to see you over the weekend too. We want to duck down to Caitlens again before xmas and wanted to see if you wanted to come too.

Sue we have been madly xing vriseas and recording what we have done so we can collect seeds. As promised here is a photo of the new pathways up the back yard. We put in so may totems we got 60 broms upoff the ground. we spread rock around under the totems and tried to pull all of the same plant together in totems and under them. We still can't find pups on demand though when customers find something they like in the display area.
Wendy

Thumbnail by perke_patch
Brisbane, Australia

Wendy, I am looking forward to seeing the results of all your hard work there. The photo is lovely. I'll have to do a "wish list" while I'm there. I don't need many more as I have enough now to fill the area I want to. I don't think I'll get anything much done until after Christmas. Too much running around to do between now and then. All good though. Will pop in to see you mid to late Sunday morning, then on to see my sister at Thornside after lunch.

Karen

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Nice picky Wendy, thanks for that. Your totems have given me an idea and I might try to get hubby to make up some kind of jig to make some wire holders to attach to the gal pipe uprights. I have been making different size hooks and hanging plants from at various heights to form layers, also potting up mini Neos to make bigger baskets.
I am glad its the weekend! A big week in the gardens this week. I've seen a weevil that was turquiose with black markings, a giant preying mantis that looked like a bunch of dead leaves, and a bettle with amazing markings, aswell as a Goanna running up a tree! Lots of wildlife about at the moment.
I thought I might start a new thread, since this one has grown so long! http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1142779/
here we go, come along now!
Sue

Thumbnail by weed_woman

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.