Bromeliads for novices and serious addicts #14: Oct 2010

barmera, Australia

All your broms look as though they have their Sunday best on. They're beautiful. I especially like the normal nova. Just lovely.Colleen

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Hi Colleen, V 'Nova' is a cultivar of Vriesea gigantea and/or V. gigantea var. seideliana. I think (and I could be wrong) that V. 'Nova' has narrow leaves that turn up at the end, and that V. gigantea has wider leaves. You have a Gigantea don't you Colleen? Did you get it through winter? I recently bought a seedling V. gigantea so i can see the differences more clearly, but it might be awhile before its big enough to really tell.
Karen, Jen has a lovely V. ospinae var. gruberi and she has another form of it called V. 'Tiger Tim'. Jen has a heap of Vrieseas that turn me green with envy! Thats why garden visits are so good. You get to spend time with beautiful plants!
Anyway, homely duties call.
Sue
Neoregelia 'Bevvie bee' (thats a double 'v' not a W)

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Sunshine Coast, Australia

Not sure of the name of this one ....but I love it!

Thumbnail by Marleneann
Brisbane, Australia

Thanks for the Vriesea lesson, Sue. I didn't know how those Nova type broms were related. Also thought your Neo was Bewie bee with a double w so that's 2 new things I've learnt today. Colleen, I do have a few Vrieseas now because I can't resist buying them but Sue forgot to mention they are nearly all less than 15 cm high. If this weather keeps up it's going to be a challenge to keep them alive. I've already killed one Vr. Kiwi Cream that got too wet. Sue and Wendy and Johnny have both got lovely big healthy Vrieseas. This pretty one is Vriesea Angela. Jen

Thumbnail by brombirdie
Brisbane, Australia

So, do Vrieseas need some sun, or a lot of sun? What sort of protection are we looking at? I am really leaning towards them thanks to the beautiful photos here and would like to get more, but need to know I can protect them properly. What sort of soil and fertilizer should I invest in? Any other tips to keep them thriving?

Karen

Coffs Harbour, Australia

for those of you who haven't visited the tea room lately, Colleen informed us today that her brother, Brian passed away. He used to visit DG regularly, bring bottle of wine, eat all the cream on Jeans deserts, and was a collector of cacti. He had a great crop of donut peaches adn butternuts last i heard.
Colleen, we understand if you're not about for a little while, and our deepest condolences to you and your family.

Karen, Vrieseas like a bit more soil water than Neos and others. Thats not to say they want to be moist all the time, but regular watering will keep them looking their best.
As for light, they do need some to keep the bright colours in the red/brown ones, but the greener, softer leaved ones will need protection form direct sunlight. The others can cope with morning sun, probably till about 10am. Your best bet is to ask the seller what conditions they do well in, and what potting mix they recommend, that way you will grow them the way they did. Liquid fertiliser at half strength through spring will see them grow well, but some will lose a bit of colour if fed too much. V. philippo coburgii will lose its red tips if fertilised, so thats just one thought. They are really not that tricky, but just need protection from sun and things falling on them. They make nice indoor plants too, but enjoy a spell outsideto freshen up.
I'm waiting to hear from Theresa to see when she might arrive, but must fly to mow one more lawn. Hubbys home, so if she should appear he will have to entertain.

Big hugs again colleen.
Sue
Guzmania optima

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Brisbane, Australia

Sue, thank you for the advice. Am going to look for more pics of Vrieseas on the web. Have a feeling I'll come back "hungry".....

Hope you and Theresa have a lovely visit.

Karen

Christchurch, New Zealand

well we spent extra time at Albion Park so won't head up to Coffs Harbour till tomorrow now...
great aircraft collection at the HARS museum - heritage aircraft restoration society - I think that was it.
I am aviationed out now & looking forward to getting to see green growing things!

north coast nsw, Australia

your lucky the rains just stopped up here, been raining for a week or so around coffs.

Brisbane, Australia

Colleen, I'm very sorry to hear your sad news. Jen

Colleen, I second all the other comments regarding your sad news. Take care of yourself. Wendy

Jen I got some new mini neos today including fireball varigata, rosy fireball and alley cat plus one NOID a mini red with green spots similar to spot on or justin's song but small. We were also give a large clump of firecracker (about 6 plants). will post photos when I can get the camera downstairs.
Wendy

Brisbane, Australia

Hi Everyone. Hope all are well and happy. I took this yesterday while there was a bit of sunshine around. I suppose its an aechmea, but I got it unnamed from the local markets last year. It has thrown 3 nice pups. No flowers on it yet, if it even gets any, but the spike is quite amazing. Photo shows 3 different aspects of the plant.

Karen

Thumbnail by DawnSong
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Hi Karen, thats an Aechmea nudicaulis, but I don't knwo which one. It looks a little like 'Fine Lines' but I'm not sure if thats even a registered name, but definitley a nudicaulis anyway! They grow well on the side of a tree.
Feeling a bit sick with a cold, so not going to stay and share it around. Have a good weekend all.
Sue
V. heiroglyphica flower is still growing

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Brisbane, Australia

Thanks Sue re aechmea nudicaulis. I'll mark it so I don't lose the name. Your V. heiroglyphica is gorgeous.

I really don't think I'll become a brom addict. I seem to be drawn only to some, probably the most expensive and rarest ones. The Vrieseas really draw me, but not all of them. I love the well marked leaves only. Seems I may have one or two plain ones here, somewhere in the jungle. Some aechmeas are lovely, and I seem to love many neos.

Karen.

Brisbane, Australia

Wild winds during the night, but only one victim so far, and would you believe, it was the Aechmea nudicaulis pictured above. The flower stem is broken off and the leaves on the main plant are smashed right in the middle. The pups all escaped damage though. It is wonderful to see sunshine again this morning, but the winds are still around making life uncomfortable.

Karen

Brisbane, Australia

Colleen - sad to hear the news. Brian will be missed.

Sunshine & wind! Good for drying out the yard & finally to catch up on some washing!
I must get out & see what the garden is up to & contemplate a lost garden buddy.

Brisbane, Australia

Coooeee....
You must all have sunshine today & be out enjoying the garden. Nice blustery day here - the drying out starts!

Yes Karen and Leisa are right the sun was shining today and the wind wasn't just blowing it was unbelievable. I slept in the back bedroom with my grandson last night and between the window rattling, frogs clicking and trees groaning with the wind I couldn't sleep. Then when we went downstairs this morning every time we stepped off the pavers feet were sliding in all directions. Yes time to bite the bullet and dig those new paths. So today was spent collecting concrete blend, cement, mesh, a new shovel tc etc and digging. On the bright side the soil was so soft we had no trouble digging. But where to put the dirt???? so move all the plants from one section and clear a spot to make a new raised garden bed. Then we had to use the new sandstone blocks I got on an auction to make the wall around the new garden. I hope nobody comes to buy plants cause they can't come into the backyard for a couple of weeks. What will we be doing tomorrow??????? mixing cement and pouring the path. This is the before shot .... after to follow in a few days or more.
Wendy

Thumbnail by perke_patch
Brisbane, Australia

Wendy, that is quite an undertaking there. Looking forward to pics when done.

Leisa, hope you are feeling on top of the world again.

Went to Beenleigh markets this morning. Didn't have enough to buy all I wanted, but got 3 nice broms at a very good price. This tiny Cryptanthus ??? just had to come home with me...

Karen

Thumbnail by DawnSong
Brisbane, Australia

I have no idea what this is, but was quite taken by it...
Karen

Thumbnail by DawnSong
Brisbane, Australia

This is think is a neo. At $2, and with 3 plants on the stem, I just couldn't leave it there...
Karen

This message was edited Oct 16, 2010 6:17 PM

Thumbnail by DawnSong
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Hi all, Hi Leisa, yes, the sun has been shining and the wind has been drying the ground out, finally!
Wendy, I'm in the same frame as you, and have been reworking another area of the yard. I'm looking forward to seeing your 'after' pics. Where we usually park our car has become compacted and forms a big mud puddle every time it rains, so we have decided to stop parking the car there and make a brom garden. I didn't take any pics yet, but we plan to continue it next weekend, as we're both too busy with work to do anything during the week. We're taking up the grass to re-use elsewhere, and extending the stone edges of an existing garden. it should look nice, and give me an area to keep broms, protected from the gumtrees. It will be nice to look out on in the mornings.
Karen, your second plant looks like Tillandsia flabellata. What a nice specimen. I would have bought that one too. Your Neo sounds like a bargian at $2.
Today, I potted up some pups that have been sitting in pearlite all winter, and finally have roots, and then took off some Nidularium pups, to put in the pearlite. I have a few Vriesea pups to pot up aswell, so have half made the potting mix and will try to get them in during the week. I decided to leave the Neo pups on for a bit longer yet, and I haven't got any room just now for more pots anyway. I must have a sale soon.
Still got a head cold that seems ok during the days, but in the evenings its really plays up! Anyway, I'm off for a shower and some beauty sleep.
Happy gardening all.
Sue
here is a Perons tree frog on Aechmea blanchettiana. He thinks hes invisible. He is here nearly every day.

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Brisbane, Australia

Sue, love the frog. Wish we had frogs here. But too hot and dry.

Thank you for naming the tillandsia. I am very pleased with this one. It is quite stunning with the red fluorescense and the slim blue flower. The photo really doesn't capture it well at all.

Saw a lovely Vriesea, and hope to go back and get it next pay. He had quite a few of them. Also had boxes of Tillandsias, some of which I don't have. There are a few brom sellers at that market but it changes from week to week. Some weeks are better than others.

Hope that cold lets go soon. Miserable things they are.

Karen

This message was edited Oct 17, 2010 5:50 AM

Karen I love that cryptanthus and the till flabellata looks so nice. I have one flowering but it is not as far advanced as yours. I can't wait to see it with huge flowers like yours.
Well yesterday I shoveled and mixed 2 ute loads of concrete blend which Johnny poured and smoothed out into one section of path. Today my shoulders are so sore I couldn't have done it again. Boy I don't know how someone can do this as a job every day but I guess they don't mix it themselves these days they just call in a truck full. I did some shopping instead while Johnny played around with the garden playing jigsaw with the pieces of sandstone to make the wall. It is starting to take shape so shouldn't be long before we can place the plants back and start the next section of path. We hope to be finished by the end of next weekend so photos will be posted.
As you can see Johnny has a few helpers making the new garden.
Wendy

Thumbnail by perke_patch
Brisbane, Australia

Wendy, love the pic of the girls 'helping' John work. I have a lorikeet that loves 'helping' me do the dishes. All lorikeets love baths, but apparently this one wants hers as sudsy as she can get it.

The Neo. Red Throat Albo Marginata I got from you is getting a tinge of a red flush through it. Will be interesting to see what it does. I love the green and white leaves on that one. The others are all settling into their new home though I can't say I have found places for all of them yet. Just moving them around to see where they look best at the moment. Only one or two more that I want now. Not sure what one is, could be a bill., but the other is a Vriesea.

Karen

This message was edited Oct 20, 2010 1:34 AM

Brisbane, Australia

Hey it was supposed to be sunny all week -what's this rain about?

This message was edited Oct 20, 2010 3:33 PM

Sue - sorry to hear that your cold isn't any better.
Hope the next few days sees the back of it.
I was wandering around my in-laws garden & look what they have lurking behind the gardenias...

Thumbnail by dalfyre

Karen I'm glad that you are happy with the broms you got from us when you visited. I woke up this morning to a lady from Aust Post delivering my latest purchases from ebay. It was not even 7.30. It was a big box so I thought yes good sized pups inside but when I opened the box they were so small and very dry. I quickly potted them up gave them a drink and put them out to be rained on. There was Aech Ornata var ....., a neo picollo and neo emerald city. I purchased an emerald city from Olive Grove when we were there but it is nothing like this one I got from ebay. Anyhow I don't think I will be buying from ebay again for a while.
We finished the garden wall today and placed the plants in then put some cute little pebbles around. We then cleaned the yard up as much as we could. It looked so good I took a photo buy was made to promise that I wouldn't show anyone until the cement paths have been finished. Sorry guys you will have to wait.
Leisa the rain today made us take several breaks for a cuppa in between bursts of work. So much for Johnny taking it easy after his treatment.
Wendy

Brisbane, Australia

Wendy, I love the plants I got from you. All are looking very happy, and one neo (marble throat) is flowering. Roots are looking very healthy with all the rain too. The apron is wearing well too :).

Karen

Coffs Harbour, Australia

I like your girls wendie. Glad your gardening is coming along. I look out at mine everyday and think, can't wait for the weekend. Sorry about your Ebay purchase. I usually am satisfied, but have had a couple of bad experiences, but I don't deal with those sellers and tell others about them too. Word of mouth is a powerfull thing!
Leisa, are you still getting rain? How are your broms coping? We've hd a week of nice weather, with a few cloudy days and some overnight rain, but thankfully the yard has dried out enough to walk on. It was soggy when theresa was here.
Theresa, you have a knack for spotting broms now! That one is Aechmea gamosepala and is very widely grown. It is tolerant of quite a few extremes, and I would say if you can keep Billbergia nutans alive in Christchurch, you'd be able to grow gamosepala too (otherwise known as the matchstick brom) Just be sure to plant them securely, as we wouldn't want them shaken out of their pots! Glad you are enjoying the trip, despite the lousy weather. I have a bottle of wine in the fridge as a momento of your stay! I might wait untill I've kicked this cold before i even think about indulging.
Karen, glad your new plants are doing well for you. No more trouble with fallen branches?
Hopefully I will be back to my energetic self by the weekend.
Sue
Big red Neo. cruenta type from mike.

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Brisbane, Australia

Sue, love that red neo. There are reds, then there are Reds, in the brom world.

More branches did come down in the wind, all big but very rotten. They missed the shed and the house though so didn't find them until Barry stumbled over them in the yard. Better the bad ones come down safely, and most do.

I find the odd brom I'd forgotten about when it flowers. They are mingling together and I'm not sure what is where anymore.

Hope you get your energy back quickly.

Karen

Brisbane, Australia

Finally I've had a chance to get out & take a pic. We're still getting enough rain for hubby to not yet have mowed. I think there are wild creatures living in the grass, could be giraffe but can't see them above the grass it's so long ;-(
Theresa, in front of your gamosepala there seems to be another brom that's more spikey with pink tips - some kind of Neo maybe? In some ways broms are such old fashioned plants it's amazing what turns up at the back of some gardens.
Gamosepala looks great massed, when all the plants are in flower. Mine are still doing well - all the rain has kept the flowers pink.
Sue that cruenta is looking good. I might have one the same from Mike, but mine's probably not as golden. Your shade house setup certainly brings out those golden colours. I hope your cold is better, nothing worse than being under the weather when there's good gardening weather!

Brisbane, Australia

Douh forgot the pic. This is Vr Belgische Hybrid

Thumbnail by LeisaD
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Hi all, leisa, I want to see a pic of your Aechmea correia-araujoi. I didn't get one when we visited and it looked amazing. Please don't run over the giraffe with the mower, it might make a big mess!
Still coughing, sneezing and wheezing. What can you do? Luckily the working week has finished for me, so I can rest up (unless hubby wants to get on with that garden)
Whats everyone up to for the weekend?
Sue

Brisbane, Australia

Sue, I'll get out with my little camera after brekkie. Hmmm Sunday - I think it's a Froot Loops morning ;-)

I thought it looked like two slightly different broms, this is the flower from one of them, I couldn't get in & take better pics - I was crouching in the shrubbery as it was :0

Thumbnail by dalfyre

this is the brom at the front of the group

Thumbnail by dalfyre
Brisbane, Australia

Theresa the pink flowering brom is Aechmea gamosepala as Sue suggested.
The other I'm not 100% sure - I'd guess a Neo but what exactly I don't know. The black spots are called fly spec scale & Sue posted a link on the 11th Oct for treating it: http://www.fcbs.org/articles/canola.htm
Sue, hubby's finally out mowing, but I think the whipper snipper chased the giraffe off, they seem to be gone.

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Well spotted Leisa! Those fly speck scale are annoying. I recently got a microscope that plugs into the computer, so i could have alook at all the greeblies. Here is fly speck scale up close. If you look to the left, there is also a mite (don't know the type) these were on a type of lily/philodendron leaf.

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Coffs Harbour, Australia

I treated it with the oil in the recipe and will inspect the leaves again in about 10 days. I don't think the oil will affect the mite, but maybe the vinegar will? Else I'll have to break out the big guns! booo.
I potted up Alcantarea seedlings, Edmundoa seedlings, Aechmea bracteata seedlings and some Neo 'Fiesta' seedlings today. there are many more to go, but I'll just pot up the larger ones and leave the others to grow a bit more, because the bigger the pot, the more room they take up.
Anyway, must be off to the shower.
Here is where the new garden is going. We took out the acalypha 'Firestorm' hedge from alongside the house and replanted it along the fence line. Hubby wants a huge log to go back alongside the wall, but we are rethinking that because we don't want to attract termites. Anyway, it is going to take us awhile to get it finished, but its a weekend work in progress.
Sue

This message was edited Oct 24, 2010 7:34 PM

Thumbnail by weed_woman

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.