Bromeliads for novices and serious addicts #14: Oct 2010

Merino, Australia

The other buy was this lovely A. orlandiana.
This makes about 29 achmeas plus the bilbergias and around 37 neos. A few tilandsias and vriesias too.
I am now finding that even though the colors are lovely on the neos. I like the bils and aechmeas best for their flower spikes.
They seem to be happier here too .
Of course, any sort of orphans gratefully received if destined for the rubbish heap.
Jean.

This message was edited Oct 8, 2010 2:12 PM

Thumbnail by 77sunset

wow we've had some rain today. Started with thunderstorm at 2:30am and hasn't really stopped all day. We had no water all night from 9pm onwards. they were connecting the new shopping centre up the road. Supposed to come on by 6am this morning but was off till about lunch time although they did turn it on about 9am this morning only to find a big leak outside shopping centre so off it went again. Luckily we filled the kettle up last night before we went to bed so we were able to have cuppa this morning. Had to bucket tank water in to flush the loo though which was rough. Anyhow no potting or gardening done today. Luckily I did pot up about 30 yesterday so they would be loving the rain. It was so heavy today the downpipes couldn't take it off the roof fast enough so it was like a waterfall coming over the patio roof straight onto the seedlings below. Had to get wet moving plants around. Then we discovered the side downpipe had some leaves on the grate below stopping water coming down so it started popping the weld in the downpipe. We had a nice fanshaped outwards spray watering the broms beside it.. Spent the rest of the day playing games on the computer.
Thanks for those names Sue & leisa

keyboard is playing up so must need new batteries. better find some before I throw it out the wndow. here's one flowering down by pond at moment NOID.

Thumbnail by perke_patch

New batteries in so all OK now. Sue I checked FCBS for wilsoniana and pups appear to come out of pot where my plant seems to have pups on end of stolen just like pauciflora. Unfortunately FCBS didn't have purple princess so couldn't check that. Have been rounding up all my mini neos to give Jen cuttings and have found some new ones didn't know I had including dark mood, ornato and lilliputiana (pic).
Wendy

Thumbnail by perke_patch
Brisbane, Australia

These just keep getting better and better. Wendy, love that last one, and the one in the pool. Is it a till? Jean and Sue, lovely pics too. I am feeling the need for a new brom.....nothing in bloom at the moment.

Karen

I just lost my message by checking out a previous photo. Karen any time you need a brom fix you are welcome back here to pick one or more. Jenny and I are off on a brom hunt tomorrow if the roads aren't flooded between here and Wavel Heights that is. Will post a report tomorrow to make you all jealous of our newbies..... ha ha. Nite to all. need my beauty sleep as Jen will be here bright and early tomorrow and don't want to be still asleep when she gets here.
Wendy

north coast nsw, Australia

weedwoman- havet really looked at my broms after all the rain, still showering here on and off a little. I was getting worried about my orchids though and covered some paph seedlings, everything will start to rot if we dont see clear skys soon. Are broms the same?

Brisbane, Australia

Argh..........my message disappeared into the ether. Try again.

Hello to all. Hope you are off to a flying start this morning.

Wendy, I'll be back for a brom fix again, to be sure. Hope the weather clears a bit for you and Jen today, it is very glum out there at the moment. Happy hunting.

Karen

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Jean, I looked up your Bill. 'Euphemie Waterman' on FCBS. Wow, she'll be a beauty! Your collection has really grown, so to speak! Now is a lovely time to gaze upon them all, as there is so much beginning to happen.
Wendy, here is my N. wisloniana, and yes, it is different to your pics, but mine still has reasonably long stolons

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Here is N. 'Purple Princess' (been in the shade a bit) and on the left is a normal n. pauciflora, which was dark when I first bought it.

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Coffs Harbour, Australia

This one I bought as N. 'Black Bandit' but its totally different to the pic on FCBS too.

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Coffs Harbour, Australia

I went to the local orchid show, which has been advertised as a mini garden expo, but was a bit disappointed. I had high expectations, as last year there was alot of collectors broms, but not today. There was a nice selection of the more 'widely grown' plants, but nothing that grabbed me. Even the orchids on sale didn't do it for me. There were alot of phaleonopsis orchids, but I've never had much luck with them so just enjoyed looking. I'm sure Wendy, Jen and their group will have a great time at Wavell heights. You don't have to show me pics to make me jealous! I already can imagine what I'm missing.
Bree, I try to keep any known cold tender broms dry untill the weather warms up, and then most of my good ones are on mesh benches, allowing for good drainage. If you get worried, just tip out the centre water, but make sure to top it up when the sun comes back!
I've been washing the oil treatment off my broms from yesterday. It seemed ideal to give them a clean while the sun has gone into hiding. It hasn't rained here all day, but it sure is gloomy!
Mike, the Aechmea 'Rodco' inverta you so generously gave me ages back, is a really bright spot on a gloomy day!
Sue

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Brisbane, Australia

Sue, that Aechmea 'Rodco' inverta is absolutely glorious! Black Bandit looks interesting. So many more I've never heard about or seen. Wonder what Wendy and Jen will find today. It hasn't been overly wet, but haven't seen the sun all day, and plenty of rain left in those clouds.
Karen

This UNK is an untidy grower when left to its own devices but this one was further put out when the bulldozers came through and upset everthing. A bit damaged, but still shows a bit of what the flower looks like. The plant is rather bulky, but the flower bract is quite different to many broms, being a real flower shape...

Thumbnail by DawnSong

Sue I sat with both your pictures on screen and photo of mine all open side by side. I think purple princess is the one it most resembles although it could be wisloniana as well. For now I will put both names on the tag and decide later. Del kindly gave me a pauciflora dark form today, so now I have a collection. when it grows Jen and Sylvia want pups. We had a lovely day and went back to Del's for a cuppa before phoning Jen's hubby to pick us up. We had to nurse a box of broms because they wouldn't fit into Del's station wagon back or in Jen's 4x4. I got some mini neos, vriseas and tillandsias and even brought some money home. It is still raining here so would have been stuck inside if we didn't go to Wavel Heights so it was a good day.
wendy

Thumbnail by perke_patch

this is my mini neos from wavel heights they are night spot, tom foolery, catenic (couldn't read his writing so may be wrong - any suggestions)
Wendy

Thumbnail by perke_patch

and this is some of bare rooted neos - inkspot, mulford foster, tar baby, emeral city, indigo mood, party plaid, flashy dude

Thumbnail by perke_patch

and flowering vriseas - madonna, miranda, vogue, guz mini pauline

Thumbnail by perke_patch
Brisbane, Australia

Wendy, looks like you had a great day. What a haul. I love the neos. I think they may be becoming my favourites, as a group. Of course others will always catch my eye too. Have fun today with your new 'babies'.

Hello to John. Hope he is feeling much better.

Karen

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Karen, Aechmea 'Rodco' inverta has become one of my favourites. I have A. 'Alvarz' which is very similar, but doesn't quite reach the intensity of colour. I'm not sure what your mystery brom is. It could be Aechmea or Guzmania? Maybe someone else finds it a familiar shape? We're not so lucky with the weather today, and it started raining again late last night, and continues today. *sigh*
Yesterday evening I lit the chiminea and had a few glasses of wine while catching up on some phonecalls. It was quite relaxing. I'd do it more often but usually save the firewood for the inside fire during winter.
Wendy, glad you had a good time at Wavell Heights. I've no idea on your mini name, but like your Vriesea 'Vogue'. I've looked at that one a dozen times now, at various sales, so might have to do something about it one day.
We went for a drive to town today so i could get some potting mix to pot up all the mondo and other things I've been thinning from the garden. Hubby bought me a USB microscope from Jaycar, and I've been dashing out in the rain to get leaves from suspect looking plants, just to see whats living on them. So far, I haven't found much that is alive, so the canola oil mix is doing the job quite well. I can also take pics using the microscope, so if I find anything bizarre, I'll be sure to show you. I wonder how it would go looking at floral parts? hmmmm, might give that a go.
Anyway, I have some plants that need packaging, and I'm going out to pot up that mondo I mentioned, as hubby has settled down to watch the bathurst races, and if I hang around here I'll get the blow by blow description of the on track excitement, including rewind and replay! I've seen the kangaroo on the track about 10 times already!
Please mother nature, let it shine!
Sue
Karen, a neo for you. N. 'Golden King' just starting to flush.

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Brisbane, Australia

Lovely Rodco inverta, Sue. Love all the pictures. Has anybody got webbed feet yet? As Wendy said we had a great time at Wavell Heights. I often get more interestng things there than I do at Mt Cootha. Here are my 2 favourite buys. The first one is Guzmania Myth mutant. (Whatever that means). Jen

Thumbnail by brombirdie
Brisbane, Australia

And this is an oldie but a goodie, Vriesea Nova.

Thumbnail by brombirdie
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Hi jen, beautiful plants you scored. Your Guzmania 'Myth' IS a mutant. I think it may have been induced to flower (by hormones or synthetic means) and the plant got confused halfway and didn't know wether to produce a flower or more leaves. The pups from it may produce more normal 'Myths' as seen on FCBS. Enjoy it anyway, because you might never get another quite the same! Your V. 'Nova' looks great. oh, its raining heavier! *groan*

we not only have rain today we have the gusting wind as well. the golden canes are going mental and the birds nest is no longer in the cane over the pond. can't even find it in the yard. I think the babies were already gone though as we haven't heard them for a few days. the weather was so bad today we decided to go to bunnings but we went all the way to Cannon Hill. everyone else had the same idea. all we did was have a coffee and a look and came away with nothing. called in to produce on way home and picked up cane mulch for chook shed and picked up a Vr saturn with a dead mother in middle and about 10 good sized pups around it for just $13. bargain. if we get some fine weather I can pot up my pups from wavel heights and split up the saturn too.
Jen we can swap mutations. my deb mutation has lots of pups already and I love the look of your myth mutant. You're nova from yesterday looks more like nova dark form rather than ordinary nova. Johnny says he wished he had gone with us now.
Pic is one of the girls helping me weed the pauciflora.
Wendy

Thumbnail by perke_patch
Brisbane, Australia

Jen, love your newbies. Broms are such amazing plants.

Sue, lovely neo golden king. The UNK I posted above is growing out the front and I often get people asking for a piece, but it is the most vicious plant to try to divide. What is the best way to tackle the beastie (apart from wearing a suit of armour and brandishing a long sword)?

Karen

Brisbane, Australia

Beautiful Golden King, Sue. That's a pretty noid, Karen. Do you know what it is Sue? I'm keeping a wishlist, Wendy. We'll have to get together as soon as the weather fines up a bit. The Vr. Nova has some pink around the tips so it would be great if it ended up being a Pink Nova like the baby we spent $10 on at Catlans. From what Sue said it doesn't look like it will be much good swapping our mutant pups because they will most likely revert to normal. Fingers crossed just in case. Tell Johnny it's not long until Mt Cootha. Hopefully there might be more Vrieseas. Who's going to Mt Cootha? Maybe we can get together. Jen

Brisbane, Australia

When is the Mt Cootha one, the date, I mean?

Karen

Brisbane, Australia

Mt Cootha is the 13th and 24th November, Karen. Hope to see you there.

Jen I'm sure we will be happy to go to Mt Cootha with you. any field trip you want to go on I'll be there. Johnny realised the brochures we got from wavel heights showed the Nambour one is the same weekend we have our open day. Maybe if ours is Saturday we could do Nambour on Sunday. we'll have to think about that some more.
Wendy

Brisbane, Australia

Thanks Jen. I hope so too.

Karen

barmera, Australia

Jen and Wendy looks like you had a wonderful time . Beautiful broms everyone. Sue you mentioned an "oil treatment" What is this and what for? I have a lovely lot of pups coming along now. I need more hours in the day to do everything though. The boys are back to school today so I'm going to be busy busy catching up if I ever do, "catch up" that is. Glad to see you're home again Leisa. Hope you're feeling much better. Sue when does Teresa arrive? Colleen

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Hi all, Jen, I had another look at your Nova, and it has really wide leaves! (thats always a good thing) it also looks a little yellow in the centre and is alot like a Nova seedling I bought last Autumn. I hope my seedling grows to be like yours. My Nova that I've had for awhile has narrow leaves that are pink on the back, and it is mostly white in the centre. I'll see if I can find a recent pic. Its still bloody raining out so I'm not going out there!
Wendy, we're supposed to be in for a windy day today too, and hopefully it will blow the rain away. The forecast says its here for the rest of the week. Usually mother nature is very obliging for me, but she must be in a mood!
Karen, I bought a pair of rose gloves from Big W. They are made of canvas and go above the elbow. They protect your arms quite well when reaching in to snip off pups. i also use toe socks with the tips cut off the toes, as gloves when i am potting up or just handling the spikey ones. In saying that your mystery plant is spikey, that rules out Guzmania I think.
Don't think i'll go to Mt Coot-tha this year, as its very close to a qld visit already planned, but I might try for their autumn one in the new year, when there might be different varieties doing their thing. I went to last years november one and it was awesome! Had a good time catching upwith DG members and the shopping was fabulous!
Hi Colleen, I'm using the oli treatment to get rid of a small ammount of fly speck scale. They are a little bit persistant. I have tried off the shelf products with no success, but this stuff seems to work really well! I will find you the link to the article that will tell you all about it and has the recipe. With all this rain, the bugs are going to go nuts when the sun comes out. http://www.fcbs.org/articles/canola.htm
Theresa should be here sometime on wednesday i think. I have to do a couple of jobs, and was going to rearrange my thurday to be at home, but the weather is doing it for me.
Vriesea 'Nova' in July
Sue

This message was edited Oct 11, 2010 6:35 AM

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Coffs Harbour, Australia

And here is my little seedling that I chose for its yellow hues

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Brisbane, Australia

Sue, what a beauty that is! I think the Vreisea's are fast taking over Neo's as my favourites. I've been seeing a few that really make me look hard.

Going for a swim around the back yard to see if everything is OK. Sure is water logged out there.

Karen

Brisbane, Australia

Lovely pics everyone. When will this rain stop!!! And it's just not drizzle but constant heavy rain. The yard's a lake.!!!

This message was edited Oct 11, 2010 7:02 AM

Coffs Harbour, Australia

I don't think so leisa! how are you, keeping dry? Hows the garden looking?

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Karen, the foliage Vrieseas are lovely to have, but are a bit softer leaved than Neos and most Aechmeas, so they kinda need a bit more protection to keep them looking at their best.
I like that I can sit pots of Neos and aechmeas up under the gums, and the Aechmeaas will still flower and the neos will still colour, despite looking a bit messy with the leaves and sticks, but I think the Vrieseas would soon look tatty if I treated them the same. They're a bit special. And of course, new ones keep appearing on the market and soon you just run out of room, at least thats whats happening to me. I have a couple of acres, but only a small protected area suitable for growing the Vrieseas.
I hope you had a nice swim, i'm about to go down to the post office, but think I should maybe take the tinny and leave the car at home!

Brisbane, Australia

Colleen, we certainly did have a great time. Sue, your big Nova is very pretty. I love the pink colours. It is quite different from mine and your smaller one. Karen, Vrieseas are my favourites too but as Sue said they need a bit more care. They are also usually quite expensive because they are slower to pup and often don't have as many pups as Neos. I'm only just getting brave enough now to buy some. I think they are well worth the extra effort. This is Vr. ospinae gruberi. It seems to be a fairly tough one. Jen

Thumbnail by brombirdie

this is our nova dark form. it has nice fat leaves with a definate dark tinge with green centre.
Wendy

Thumbnail by perke_patch

and this is normal nova with just green leaves
wendy

Thumbnail by perke_patch
Brisbane, Australia

Jen, I love your Vr. ospinae gruberi. And Wendy, the nova's are gorgeous!

Karen

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.