October's cooling...Ahhhhh...

(Zone 7a)

My mums are starting, too, Pepper! The white ones still look a little yellow. I'll get pics tomorrow.

Awesome truck, Ric. You know I like the Toyotas! LOL You also know we want pics of that GH!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

44° with a high of 80°. Plentiful sunshine. Warm. Winds SW at 10 to 15 mph. Time Until Sunrise: 1 hrs 40 min. Dyson Dark.

Joey, love the picture! So serene!

Marsue, actually, he was a small one :o) Someday I'll get a picture of what we call ''flood'' mosquitos.

Adina, I think your Rudbeckia will bloom and be beautiful and sunny bright!

Pepper, I love your Mums too!

Ric, I can't wait to see the greenhouse! Take pictures of the work in progress! Good news on the ''new'' truck!

Bernie, harvest is in full swing here too. Especially soybeans! I noticed my hot pepers, jalapenos, had tough skin this year. We had a lot of rain and not enough sun. Almost all catfaced too. Wow, oak!! That's going to be gorgeous!

I'm still digging the last few tulips out of the garden and planting as I go. The rains compacted the dirt and really settled a lot of it into clay . I turned it and will dig it out as needed and replace with amended dirt. Then I'll throw it in the compost pile or chop at it with the shovel and try mixing compost in.

I managed to pry three Rhubarb clumps out for my brother. That gives me back some garden space.

Either way, I'm happy to be working outside!!

My squash :o)

Thumbnail by billyporter
Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

SallyBP, cute squash! Never saw those!
Ric, where is the new GH placed?
Pretty mums, Pepper!
Bernie, how many eggs did you have?
I hope my rudbeckia gets to bloom. They forecasted a warming up for next week, up to 60F!!!!!
Still Dyson dark and cold, but the wind has stopped. It has been raining since morning, slow fall rain...yuck!
A variagated ivy I photographed in Lugano.

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti
Fayetteville, AR(Zone 7b)

Ric drive careful and GH?? I want a GH but I have to take down some trees first. We have a 2005 Toyota Tundra with the TSS package, love that truck!

Sweet squash! Good eatin' too!

The mums have been blooming here for about a month now. I don't have any though.

So the next 3 days is supposed to be over 90* again! If it does get above 90* it will break a record, more days 90* or above in recorded history, we're two days shy of breaking that record right now.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Another sunny day. Sure nice for harvesting.
I only take 17 dozen eggs to market each time.
Got to go, busy day here.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Adina: no, I am not home yet--will be going home on Monday. My DD's family will be having a birthday party for 5 family members on Sunday afternoon. Our birthdays seem to arrive in groups--LOL. Should be a fun time for all of us.
Pepper: pretty mums. I hope mine will be in full bloom by the time I get home--they were just beginning to open when I left last Friday.
Bernie: at least you were selling eggs, carrots and potatoes. sounds good to me!
BP: how do you cook your squash? Steamed, baked, boiled?
Crissy: guess I should be glad I am up here in NW AR with the 90F temps ya'll are having down there in the central part of the state!

# Today: Sunny. Warm. High 83F. Winds light and variable.
# Tonight: Mostly clear. Low 57F. Winds light and variable.

I want to come up there for my birthday, or go somewhere for my birthday, I'm to the point I really don't care where and since Dave isn't working we don't have to worry about him getting the time off, but Dave wants to stay home. pppttttthhhhhh

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

When's your birthday? Mines coming soon. Come up here & we can party!

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Hot with temps in the mid 80s today. Sunny and no wind. If I remember right today makes either 13 or 14 days straight with no rain. But we finally have a small chance Monday and Tuesday.

Some more mums blooming. I got some of these from Powell Gardens last year as freebies. I got them having no clue what the blooms would look like. I love the colors of them!!

Thumbnail by pepper23
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

54° with a high of 88°. Plentiful sunshine. Very warm. Winds SSW at 5 to 10 mph. Time Until Sunrise: 1 hrs 52 min. Dyson Dark, but will be darker when we "Fall Back" with the clocks.

I worked in the yard all day yesterday and can actually see some progress. 'Bout did my back in at the end of the day, turning the manure under. I took an aspirin and walked carefully till that little glitch was gone.

Adina, the colored squash is called ''Carnival'' and the dark are an acorn squash that volunteered in the compost pile :o) The ivey resembles a hosta marking. Pretty!

Marsue, sometimes split and baked with butter if I have an oven meal going, or split and steamed in the microwave. yesterday I reheated some and added half and half and brown sugar. THAT was good!

Chrissy, I have one of those stay at home guys too :o(

Pepper, great freebies! I love the suspense of ''what color?'' They are beautiful colors!

Dyson Dark, but will be darker when we "Fall Back" with the clocks.

I worked in the yard all day yesterday and can actually see some progress. 'Bout did my back in at the end of the day, turning the manure under. I took an aspirin and walked carefully till that little glitch was gone.

Adina, the colored squash is called ''Carnival'' and the dark are an acorn squash that volunteered in the compost pile :o) The ivey resembles a hosta marking. Pretty!

Marsue, sometimes split and baked with butter if I have an oven meal going, or split and steamed in the microwave. yesterday I reheated some and added half and half and brown sugar. THAT was good!

Chrissy, I have one of those stay at home guys too :o(

Pepper, great freebies! I love the suspense of ''what color?'' They are beautiful colors!

I rescued these...yes I did...

Thumbnail by billyporter
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Pretty "rescues", BP! The squash sounds yummy--just the way I like them!
Crissy and Bernie: let's have a "cyber-space" celebration for your birthdays! LOL

We're back to summer! :o((
Unseasonably warm for October, even up here in the Ozarks!

# Today: Sunny. Near record high temperatures. High 86F. Winds SW at 5 to 10 mph.
# Tonight: Mostly clear. Low 56F. Winds light and variable.

Too hot for October. Highs in the high 80s, sunny with almost no breeze. I want Fall back!! LOL

One of my garden beds. This one is right between where my dad and I park. The tree stump on the left will eventually be completely covered in vines. I have 1 bittersweet, 1 purple passion vine and 1 yellow passion vine on it. I can't wait til it's covered and blooming.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Too hot here too!
We'll be paying for it!
High tomorrow will be 90°!
High Thursday..... 66°....

Like the Stump!

Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Mau, Happy Birthday for all 5 in your DD's family! Have fun!
SallyBP, I had some vines of funny squash, but they didn't do anything, just leaves. Only have that one like a pear, but only one all summer...arrgghhhh! I need to plant less so all can grow well. Your asters are still pretty...mine are all wet of so much rain!
Pepper, wonderful area for walking with your dad! Love the stump and the mums!
Crissy, we can make a party for you and Bernie here! I can bring the cake!LOL

It's been raining since yesterday, but only a few showers today and it's warmer, about 60F=15C. Cloudy again... yuck!
Sedum blooming 2 weeks ago.

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

54° with a high of 84°. Dyson Dark and Kiska Chilly, but I still slept with a window open. Another good working outside day :o)

Yesterday we got the Grandsons and went to Wild Cat Den. Beautiful stone walls and a lot of up and down trails. The tree roots make wonderful natural steps. I went as a teenager with cousins and we took DD when she was little. It's just on the other side of Muscatine, which in itself is a 20 - 25 minute drive from here.

Marsue, I can still see the six acorn squash halves my Mom would pull out of the oven when I was a kid. I didn't like it then.

Pepper, that is a beautiful island to park beside! Love the stump!

Adina, no rain here for at least another week. I've been toting water to the astilbes. Beautiful Sedum!!

I'll have to find time to make a hiking thread like Kelli does.

Wild Cat Den

Thumbnail by billyporter
noonamah, Australia

Kwanjin, nothing better than home grown pineapples, picked when they're ready for eating, not just when they're ready for transport.

Billyporter, I'm about 50 kilometres inland from the sea, both to the west and the north (my place is close to a 'corner' of land). As far as effects of cyclones goes, just depends on how close one comes. The monsoon is very widespread, there's no avoiding the effects. I'm on a bit of a slope so apart from scouring, it's all short term.

Joey, "black woolly worms", sounds like they're rugging up for the winter.

Marsue, I guess I'm lucky in not having had any reaction to fruits because I really eat a lot of them.

Adina, I never buy pineapples because none of them are as good as mine. Trouble is mine only ripen this time of year.

Pepper, I've got a few stumps with things growing over them. But you don't want to be standing too close when they reach their "use by date".

My only thoughts on the subject of birthdays is they're highly over rated. I gave up having them years ago - still only 21, LOL.

I finally got my next buskwalking/hiking article up. Started mucking around with formatting and took ages to sort it out, but it's there now:
http://cubits.org/bushwalking/articles/view/675/

The weather here's still a bit odd for this time of year. A huge cloud mass streamed in from Indonesia. The rain's still a bit patchy but heavier where it does fall. Today looked like the cloud was breaking up/disappearing. Later afternoon the heat with all the humid air caused big storm build ups. The official weather station near my place recorded 29 millimetres (1.14 inches) in an hour. Won't know what my place got until I get back home on Thursday.

Minimum temperature this morning was 23.1C (73.6F), maximum this afternoon was 36.0C (96.8F). The rain's keeping the temperatures down for this time of year.

Today I found this catepillar, the larva of the Common Crow Butterfly, Euploea core. It was on an Asclepid (Milkweed family) vine that I haven't been able to identify as yet.

Thumbnail by tropicbreeze
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Tropic, I can almost taste a warm sweet pineapple.

How neat to be in a ''corner.'' I'm glad the cyclones aren't a yearly problem. I've only seen monsoons on TV. I can't imagine what it's like to be in one. How long do they last?

Birthdays. My Dad's folks stopped their's when they were 10. My Mom always made sure we had a cake, present, and let us have someone stay the night. Now, I have mine for the Grandkids sake, but no cards or gifts, and I make my own cake. I'm not sure what age I am :o)

Beautiful cat!!

I'll have to get back to the Bushwalking, but I will :o)

Have a good day all!!

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Birthdays were always a big deal in my family, second only to Christmas and Easter.

I don't remember if I reported it already, but we got 0.64" of rain on Monday. That's the first rain we've had in six months. Now it is back to being hot and dry again.

BP, you are welcome to add your hikes to my Day Hikes site. It's not just for me, it's for anyone who wants to contribute. I have an Upper Midwest section that I can't contribute to myself. Start a new thread for Wild Cat Den. http://cubits.org/dayhikes/forums/view/usauppermidwest/

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 3:51 PM PDT on October 10, 2010
96 °F
Clear
Humidity: 12%
Dew Point: 36 °F
Wind: 10 mph from the North

Weather hasn't changed yet. LOL. We do have rain coming in from southern Kansas and will hit up in a few hours.

Finally got all my tulips dug up and planted. A friend came over and helped me get it done. I think she was regretting it at the end of the day because we were digging in solid clay with no amendments in both spots. LOL. But it's done and I'm grateful she came and helped!! Now just need to get some plants ready to come in and get my crocus and alliums planted. I plan on leaving a few ee's out and will bury them in coneflower stems for extra protection.

My Red Shield hibiscus bush with my zinnas surrounding it. The tree you see behind it with one limb also has a clematis growing on it. It's been a slow grower but it finally took off a bit this year. I need to get ahold of more chicken wire or other fencing to wrap around the trunk so it can cover it. It's supposed to have yellow bell shaped blooms.

Thumbnail by pepper23

My birthday is Nov. 3rd, when's your birthday Bernie?

Adina wouldn't that be awesome, let me check plane ticket prices.... LOL

It was over 90* the past 3 days and dry as a bone, which allowed us to break a record of more days over 90* in recorded history, I think as of yesterday we were at 117 days. There's a town about 10 miles East of me, Traskwood, that had 500 acres burned, it's 100% contained now but they're still looking into the cause, they're thinking Arson. The air is VERY smoky here.

There's a storm coming but it's supposed to fizzle before it gets here, again. We're in a burn ban and the person on the other side of my next door neighbor was burning last night, I told her I was going to go over there and light his a** on fire.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Mines October 27.
Sunny & warm, high today in mid 70's.

Crissy, does the smoke make you feel like you're back in CA? It would me.

Bernie, my sister's birthday is October 27, too. She'll be 39.

Maybe some day we'll have those beam-me-up-Scotty transporters and can go all over. You never know. Thirty years ago, could you have ever conceived of anything like the internet and smart phones?

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

That's what I will be, 39. LOL!

Yep, wish I was 39, too.

Tropic, is the ocean warm all around Australia, or just in the north? It comes as a big surprise to a lot of people, including myself, that the California ocean is not warm.

Ha! That's funny Kelli, I'll be 39 also, seriously! Me and her are the same age! I dated a guy who was 1 year and 1 hour older than me, that didn't work out too well lol!

You know, it kinda did only when there's a fire on the Altamont though.

We finally got some rain last night and this morning. Cooled us down some too so it feels much nicer. Only problem is I didn't notice too much color on the leaves til they hit the ground. LOL. I need to get out and get some pics. Sumac is changing and is a gorgeous shade of red.

Butterfly Bush 'Peacock' bloom. Has a leaf stuck on it. lol

Thumbnail by pepper23
noonamah, Australia

Billyporter, cyclone season is officially 1st November to 30 April. But as the sea here is always above 26C (78.8F), which is the temperature needed to maintain a cyclone, historically they have been recorded in all months of the year. Monsoon is actually the prevailing wind which determines the season. So we get the south east monsoon during the dry season, not normally thought of as "monsoon" since it is dry. Then there's the north west monsoon during the wet season, which is what most people think of when they hear the word monsoon.

I remember one year when it rained for 3 months non-stop, mostly light and only sometimes heavy. Mostly the monsoon comes and goes during the wet season so you might get a week or two (or more) of rain and then periods of hot humid weather without rain, except afternoon storms.

Just now it seems like the monsoon is here early. We're getting unusually high rainfall for this time of year and low temperatures. I don't mind, although I would have liked to have done a lot more work on surface water drainage on my place. In a normal year I still would have had time.

Kelli, ocean currents generally run clockwise in the northern hemisphere. Northwards along eastern Asia and southwards along northern America. The warm water moves up northwards displacing cold water southwards, along the California coast and out to Hawaii. We're close to the equator along the north of the continent so the water circulation is always warm. The southern part of the continent the water does get colder, expecially in winter.

Minimum temperature this morning was 24.9C (76.8F), maximum today was 32.9C (91.2F). Rain is continuing and becoming more widespread, but not heavy everywhere.

I've added a map (from Google) to give a clearer picture of the layout of the land here. Islands top left are part of Indonesia, the land top right is part of New Guinea. I put in a 500 kilometre (about 310 miles) line to give a perspective on distance.

Thumbnail by tropicbreeze
(Zone 7a)

There is NO place on Earth I can get an education like this. I love turning on the computer and finding out how Australian monsoon season works. (sort of) ^_^ Thanks for that, Tropic.

Very pleasant today. 65º and sunny. My brother is coming over to take me to lunch and watch movies.

BTW, Tropic, My DH wants to know if we can see more croc pics. He's fascinated that people do what you do.

Coolish today with a breeze. So nice and NORMAL for October!! LOL!!!

Thumbnail by pepper23
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Whooo, I am too far behind to catch up by commenting on everything. Like Celia, this place is a gold mine of information to me about places far away from me, from Alaska to Iceland to Romania and now to Australia! I'm loving it!

Great photo, Pepper.

We are in a burn ban throughout most of our state. Although a couple of areas got some rain today(not where I live), we are way behind on rainfall and things are dangerously dry.

I took some photos at my DGD's house while I was in Branson, MO last week. This is the place she has sold and will be moving out of this week. It is built on the side of a hill, like most places in Branson, and there are so many trees that you can only see a portion of the house from the driveway. Here is a link to the photos for anyone who is interested in looking at the scenery around Branson. There are a couple of photos of the mist rising from the lake early in the morning. One morning it was foggy and you could only see the trees that were close to the house. Also, I took some photos of the flowers growing wild near the driveway.

http://picasaweb.google.com/marsue777/AtKateS?authkey=Gv1sRgCOvJkJDK07m3nQE#

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

32 °F and heavy frost here this morning.

Thought I'd check in after a long absence. We are well into autumn here and the foliage is brilliant! I just started 2 weeks of vacation and I'll spend most of it doing photography.

Photo: Old barn near Greenville OH we passed while on the Tour de Donut bike ride.

EarlyBloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer
(Zone 7a)

Hey, EB!!! Good to see you and your pics back.

Sunny and 69º for our high today.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Good to "see" you again, EB. I love how you make your photos look like paintings!
Looking forward to more! :o))

Coolish, high in the high 60s, sunny and breezy.

Got all my bulbs planted finally! And got 4 bushes planted. 3 in the ground and a new one in a big pot. I just bought a Dappled Willow today on clearace. Hakuro Nishiki. Haven't researched it but I liked the pic. LOL. Plus I like willows. lol

Thumbnail by pepper23
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

40° with a high of 71°. No rain yet. Sunshine and clouds mixed. Winds WSW at 15 to 25 mph. It will be a little warmer than yesterday. I worked out all afternoon putting plants back that are wild garlic free. I've been digging them all out over the last two days, discarding the dirt and replacing it with composted dirt, peat and lime. Then, put most of the flowers back after I removed all the dirt from them.

Thanks Kelli! I didn't know there was a hiking thread. I will add to it since I did have more pictures.

Pepper, laughing over the friend who came to help plant tulips. I'll bet in the end she was glad she did help and will be back next spring to see what ''she'' did. I love the hibiscus surrounded by the zinnias. It really makes a statement! I also love the two trees separating the horses. The road is all lit up all around and it all balances the open space to the right. Nice composition :o)

Chrissy, that is so dry and hot. I hope the arsonists aren't having fun. A few years ago someone set a bunch of little ditch fires around here. At first it was kind of funny, but then you felt for the firefighters who spent all day out, when they could have been home. Most of them are also first responders.

Kelli, I think Google Earth is the closest we'll have to ''Scotty beam me up's" :o)

ROTFL over all the 39's!!! My SIL gave me a wooden heart that says 29 and holding :o) (I adore Jack Benny!!)

Pepper, Peacock is a lovely color. My bush is all done :o(

Tropic, I never knew a monsoon was the wind. 6 months of cyclone season. We could have up to 5 months of tornado season, but mostly worry in March and April. It's nice to see your ''corner'' of the world :o)

Celia, I ditto the education opportunities! What a cool brother :o)

Pepper, our weather is finally being October too. Love the butterfly!

Marsue, I'll have to get back to your pictures. But I will!

Howdy Early! Good to see you since I was just thinking about you the other day. (Honestly!) I love old barns!

Pepper, I love the bells. They are really neat! So are the zinnias you've had bloom! I also love the French Marigolds. Mine ended up being tall and I think I like them better than the small one's I had before. They take more room, but have a lot of color!

Irvine, KY(Zone 6a)

Finally, a bit of rain 0.46" yesterday evening and into the night. We are several inches behind, though not officially in drought as is western and central Kentucky.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Good morning, all!
Pepper: LOVE the picture of the zinnias and the colorful bells!
BP: didn't you say over at the "other place" that today is Dyson's birthday? If so, I hope Dyson is still on DG and reading this. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DYSON!

Sunfarm: glad you got a little rain--there has been NO rain in my neighborhood for a month or more although a few portions of the state have received some rain. We have many counties that are still under a burn ban.

# Today: Plentiful sunshine. High 76F. Winds NNW at 5 to 10 mph.
# Tonight: Generally clear. Low 47F. Winds light and variable.

view from my DD's driveway last Sunday. As you can see, there is very little color on the trees right now. Their "high season" for color will probably occur in about two weeks.

Thumbnail by marsue

Coolish still with a high of 70 something and strong breeze.

My new shade bed. Only thing planted right now are BP's jack in the pulpit.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

A great fall day today! Lot's of sun after the big T-Storm last night! Loved it!

Sally, I forgot to even check my rain guage! LOL!
E_B! Great Shot! I showed it to a guy at work & he thought that it was painted! :D Yer Goooood! :D Love the barn...
Pepper, Nice shade garden!

Hi! & Good Night All!

Here's yesterdays drive home...hate to have the power lines in it, but haven't 'fixed' it yet...

Thumbnail by music2keep

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.