October's cooling...Ahhhhh...

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

33° with a high of 71°
Through 11am: Sunny with temperatures warming rapidly into the low to middle 50s. Winds SE at 5 to 10 mph. Rest of day. Mostly sunny. Winds SSE at 10 to 20 mph.
Time Until Sunrise: 2 hrs 16 min. Sunrise: 7:25 am
Moon Bright.

Marsue and Chrissy, ROTFL!!! After all thet hot summer weather you're ready to bask in the sun!

Yep, any flavor cyber ice cream you like :o)

Kelli, that much rain!

Hi Andy, how beautiful to see an October rainbow!

Pepper, those are beautiful speckles! Are tey mums?

Adina, such pretty mums. It's nice to see the lighter colors. I love your story and the fact that you brought the flowers into your own flower beds! I think the pictures are beautiful and so many are flowers I love too. They really planted a good selection, and look how you filled your beds. ROTFL over too much toast!

A warmer day than yesterday and I'll be in the flower beds again. We got a little frost last night. I covered the 5 cabbage plants with buckets and am going to harvest today. Sauerkraut is in the plans.

Fayetteville, AR(Zone 7b)

Maybe a summer house in Alaska and another summer house in Australia, that way it will never be winter! LOL

It's sunny and supposed to be 85* today.

Sweet rainbow Andy!

Pep and Adina lovely flowers!!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Being from the frozen north, I would stop in KY for a winter home. I would have to be somewhere where I could do something constructive, not lay on a beach all day.
Windy & warm here today. Expecting rain the next few days.
I treated my thistles yesterday, so warm weather is good. Will plow my land next week.
Going out to clean Glads now. Our helper has been working on them, big job.

Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

SallyBP, that toast is still on me!ROTFLOL Thanks for reading my article and for the good words, I appreciate it.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Weather is decent today but cloudy with rain moving in. Perfect setting for the mood my town is in.

We had an armed robbery this morning at the store where I work. No one was hurt but they were terrified and are tramatized by it. The robbers managed to escape before the cops arrived so they are still on the loose.

http://www.kmbc.com/news/25475571/detail.html

Weather is decent today but cloudy with rain moving in. Perfect setting for the mood my town is in.

We had an armed robbery this morning at the store where I work. No one was hurt but they were terrified and are tramatized by it. The robbers managed to escape before the cops arrived so they are still on the loose. I was not there when it happened but I know all but the doughnut guy.

http://www.kmbc.com/news/25475571/detail.html

Wow!! That's scary!!!!

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Yikes, that's scary, Pepper!

Crissy, I'll bet you know what kind of tree this is.

Thumbnail by Kelli
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

57° with a high of 70°. It's raining! I heard it around 3:00 am and just saw lightning from the south east. We have a bit of thunder and lightning. Oooh, it's really pouring now!
Through 11am: Showers and thunderstorms ending by late morning. Cloudy with temperatures reaching the low 60s. Winds SSE at 10 to 15 mph. Then the chance of scattered thunderstorms this afternoon. A few storms may be severe. Chance of rain 80%.
Time Until Sunrise: 2 hrs 1 min

I watered yesterday, everything I transplanted, and even tho it DID rain, I'm still glad I did. I have 5 heads of cabbage in the garage, the crock washed and the stomper and board DH made for me all oiled and ready.

Chrissy, I'd be happy with your 85* right now :o)

Bernie, I think Kentucky would be a great place too. Nope, I couldn't sit idle for long either. I hope you get your work done before the rains. That's what I was aiming for and am happy to have a day inside now.

Adina, ROTFL!!! Toast will now crack me up for a while!

Pepper, I would feel terrified too, and want to punch them in the groin as hard as possibe.

Kelli, I love big trees!

My board, to set on top of the kraut to keep it under the liquid :o)

Thumbnail by billyporter
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Pepper: I am so glad you weren't at the store when the robbery took place. That must have been a really traumatic experience for those who were there!
Bernie: I couldn't lay around on the beach all day either for more than a few days but every now and then I do enjoy getting away from the everyday stresses of life.
Adina and Pepper: loving the mums. My yellow mums have been blooming for several days now and the red ones are just beginning to bloom. Adina, I'll check out the article when I leave this thread.
BP: I was going to ask you what the "board" was but you have answered my question. Loving your personalized board! Now tell me what a "stomper" is, please.
Our schools were out yesterday for a teacher "in service" day--whatever that is. Zach. my DGS, stayed with me. He helped me paint my porch column. He did the bottom half and I did the top half. The columns are wood and the bottom portion of them had starting splitting pretty bad so I had to fill them with wood filler. Then I sanded the columns and Zach went to work painting. He loves to help with things like that and he does a pretty good job, too. There is only one side of one of the columns that I am going to have do over. Today I painted the back door. Next week I will paint the 4 columns on the front porch.

It was a pretty day today but a bit windy. Rain is supposed to move in tonight and continue tomorrow. Hooray!!

This message was edited Oct 23, 2010 6:43 PM

Thumbnail by marsue

Coolish now and dark. Rain off and on all day. Can't tell by radar if it's gonna rain anymore tonight or not.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Nothing but a "smattering" of rain at my house yet but they are still promising. . .
# Today: Variable clouds with scattered showers and thunderstorms, mainly during the afternoon hours. A few storms may be severe. High 84F. Winds SSW at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 60%.
# Tonight: Scattered thunderstorms, especially during the evening. A few storms may be severe. Low around 60F. Winds S at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 50%.

Thumbnail by marsue
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Well I just got in from raking the deck and boardwalk clear of leaves.
Almost filled the 1st Banana Cage for winter.
It appears we didn't get a frost or freeze here.
Nothing is damaged in the least.
73° and climbing.
Opened all the windows to suck in the heat...lol!
So far we haven't started the furnace yet.

Well the ordeal is over.
Well the ceremonial part anyway.
Visitation was Thursday night w/ a huge turnout.
Funeral was yesterday morning.
Then a luncheon at her church.
Robyn sends her sincere Thanks for all the thoughts and hugs.

Yesterday we drove 2 hours and started the GH at Taynors.
Got a good bit done.
Stopped on the way home at Joycet's house for their Fall Bonfire.
Had a good meal visited for an hour or so then headed home.

Ric

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

I'm sure the bonfire, meal and visit was a nice change of pace for you and Robyn after the stress of the past week, Ric. Big hugs to both of you.

Still no rain here but it has been cloudy and cool all day. "They" are still promising rain. We'll see. . . Oh, it is getting darker--but wait--the sun is going down! LOL

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

We got rain over night. Don't know how much as the rain gauge has been put away for the winter.
Went to the Farmers market for the last time on Saturday. Sold 52 dozen eggs & 4 strands of hot peppers. It was a nice day again. Fairly good crowd for this late in the year, but with no frost yet, there were lots of vegetables for sale.
Might get out & take flower pictures tomorrow. Lots of blooms yet that in a normal year would have been long gone.

Yesterday afternoon we sold 90 of the laying hens. Their replacements are growing fast. Already little wing feathers showing. They were hatched Wed.

Nearly all corn & soybeans are harvested here. Weather was great all through the harvest. Corn was dry enough that no corn driers were used. Poor gas companies couldn't sell any propane!
Yields were good also.

Bernie

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Yes it was Mau.
Today we basically just 'vegged'.
I raked the leaves off the deck and laundered my work clothes.
Sat and watched my Browns whip up on the World Champion Saints.
Then watched Robin Hood.

Bernie I'm sure the last market has mixed emotions for you.
Sounds like you had a wonderful year!
But I'd say you could probably use a rest also.......

Ric

Coolish, sunny, windy, and drying out from yesterday's storms.

Fungi growing at the base of my stump.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Bernie: I'm curious. Who buys the "old hens" and what do they do with them? How long do you keep your laying hens? Are they good for just one season? If so, why? Inquiring minds want to know. LOL
Pepper: neat photo of the fungi. Somewhere around here (haven't seen it since I moved into this house 4 years ago--may be packed away in a box in the garage) , I have a big beautiful piece of fungi which my boys found on a rotting log years ago (back in the 70's). It was perfectly round and looked like a flower. I had it framed in a shadow box and hung it on the wall as decoration.

We did get a little bit of rain just before sunset last night and it must have rained some during the night, too, because the patio was wet when I got up this morning. It wasn't much but we'll take it! We sure need some more rain, though!
Here's a photo I took after the little rain shower. Those lights to the bottom right are my neighbor's halloween decorations. The lights are on the legs of a giant spider which they have spread out across one of their shrubs. They also have some blow-up figures of spooky characters in their flower bed and on their roof. My dog Friday spotted them yesterday and started growling and barking at the "strangers". LOL

This message was edited Oct 25, 2010 6:07 AM

Thumbnail by marsue
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

54° with a high of 78° We ended up with 1.5'' rain. We needed it! The ground was cracking all over! In the southern counties there was a tornado watch. We don't hear that very often on October.

Through 11am: Partly cloudy with temperatures steady or slowly warming to the mid 50s. Winds S at 5 to 10 mph.

A mix of clouds and sun early followed by cloudy skies this afternoon. Warm. Winds SSE at 10 to 20 mph.
Time Until Sunrise: 7 min. The day is getting away from me!

Marsue, stomper picture to follow. Zach is so lucky you let him help, and the picture is adorable! They just love doing the real things. You're quite the handy man yourself :o) Bright pretty impatiens! All of your plants contribute to a picture of color! I'm jealous :o)

Pepper, love your back-lit bloom! I hope the rain washed our spider webs away. I was tired of seeing them.

Ric, this year I was lucky. The leaves of the walnut dropped while I was still mowing and I chopped them all up. Now, the Maple won't drop till the weather turns cold and wet and it's no fun raking. I hope the cyber hugs helped. It's especially hard to lose someone before the Holidays. My best to all of her family.
You had a very good day Saturday. Just what both of you needed. (((BIG HUGS)))

Marsue, gently smiling over the sundown. I do hope you get rain.

Bernie, awww on the baby chicks. That is one of my earliest memories. I was two when we had baby chicks and I remember walking across the road with Mom to see them. Later I remember her feeding them in the fenced in area. My daughter uses my Grandma's heat lamp, nesting boxes and roosts now. The dryers across the street here are barely running either.

Pepper, cool fungi! It goes well with the color of the Mums.

Yesterday, it was nice, but too wet to do anything outside, so I cleaned my computer up and deleted a lot of ''I'll read laters."

Cabbage and stomper coming up.

I grew the cabbage from seed :o)

Thumbnail by billyporter
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

The stomper is 28'' long.

Thumbnail by billyporter
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

We sell the old hens to people who are using them as layers. They started laying in March, so are in their peak right now. The reason we sell them is that we don't need all the eggs in the winter months.

I went out early this morning & worked on cleaning Glad bulbs. Anyone wanting to help is welcome!
Pictures later today.

(Zone 7a)

Catching up...

We woke to this this morning...good thing we fired up the furnace last week. 40s and a possibility of more snow.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Marsue, somehow I missed your post and photo :o) How cool to look out and see the halloween decorations and good for Friday to spot the intruders. Witches, beware of dog!

Bernie, you have quite a job ahead of you. I guess could dig my few glads and callas anytine now.

Celia, just think, snow brings in different minerals than rain. This is only temporary. Tell me it's temporary!!

I'll have to admit it's a beautiful picture! I couldn't believe all the colors here after it rained. I was so used to dirt flying everyday that I didn't notice it coating all the plants and grass.

Have a wonderful day all!!

(Zone 7a)

That's what I was telling Darrell today, BP. LOL He wasn't pleased.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

BP: now I know what a "stomper" is. LOL thanks. I learn so much here from my friends across the world! Personally, I am not that crazy about sauerkraut but I will eat it if it is on the menu at a friend's house, etc. About the only two foods I absolutely will not eat anywhere, anytime are liver and beets. (add boiled okra to that list, too! LOL)
Bernie: I'm glad you don't sell your hens to people who are going to eat them--it would seem to be a cruel thing to do to hens who have performed so well for you! (although I don't feel a bit guilty about eating chicken! LOL)
Celia: snow! Weren't you in the 80's just last week? I guess it is safe for me to send you that canna now. LOL I'll try to get out there today and dig one up for you--or would it be better for you if I wait till spring?

I captured this late-season monarch on the milkweed a few days ago.

Thumbnail by marsue
(Zone 7a)

This will be going away soon so it's okay to send the cannas. Thank you!!!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Celia, the only good snow is the first, calm, puffy flake, snow. After that, wah!

Marsue, what a lovely picture with the fence in the background. Very nice!!

It's cloudy and breezy here. I'm eating a red delicious apple we picked from a friend's tree last month. It's crispy and juicy!

Everywhere I watered, was plants I dug and reset. Most of this area had the wild garlic and I had to toss all the dirt.

Thumbnail by billyporter
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Went out with my camera.
A light blue Iris blooming. It started about early Sept.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Another, yellow Iris.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

A bed of volunteer Cosmos.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Some roses.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

By the back step.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Middle of the back yard.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Glads waiting to be done.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

One tray of done Glads.
Amazing to have all these flowers blooming at the end of October!

Wow look at all those glads!!

Mau we got a real good soaking of rain yesterday. We went into a tornado watch at about 2pm til 10pm, thought at 5pm things would be hopping pretty good, sure enough we had a severe thunderstorm go just barely to the north of the house so got some rain from that, then we had a huge swath of regular ole normal thunderstorms for about 3 hours straight. It was wonderful! Maybe I'll dig some holes for my 40 tulips after work.

Kelli I believe that is a black oak tree. We didn't have those in Modesto too much, think the elevation's too low, they show up around the 1000 to 3000ft elevation east of Modesto.

Pretty snow, glad it's not going to stay around, kinda early isn't it?

(Zone 7a)

Bernie, that's quite a show-in-waiting with those glads! I can't wait!

BP and Crissy, historicaly speaking, this is right on schedule. We'll warm up then get cold and more snow. It's onlt been the last few years the snow has waited for Nov./Dec. or so.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Just to brighten up things, this is a few years ago.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Love all the flowers, Bernie! I'm surprised you have so many in bloom this late in the season way up there in MN. That's a lot of glads!

Celia, I'll get the cannas in the mail by Wednesday.
Crissy, sounds like you got a lot more rain than I did. Charlotte did, too. Next time, send more of it up my way. LOL
I got some clean-up work done in the back flower bed this afternoon. It was warm enough that I worked up a sweat!

Warm, cloudy and breezy today.

Close up of the fungi.

Thumbnail by pepper23

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.