October's cooling...Ahhhhh...

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

45° with a high of 67°. Sunny. Winds NNW at 5 to 10 mph. Time Until Sunrise: 1 hrs 54 min.

Sally Sun, a bit of rain leaves you wanting more. I hope you can catch up with those cold November rains. I hope today is a good day for you! (((Gentle hug)))

Marsue, his subscription has run out, so you could e-mail him. Your daughter may have to take a few pictures of her house and mail them to you so we can see the difference in tree color.

Pepper, a perfect place for the Jacks!!!

Joey Joey, smiling over the rain guage! It's hard to get a picture without antennas or lines :o( I love the rounded trees and mountains setting off the sky. I miss seeing the clouds here, but we need the sun to keep it warm. I hate a cold wind in my face!

Back to the beds today to see what else I can accomplish.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

BP: unfortunately, my DD is not much of a photographer--she leaves that to other family members. I don't think she even has a digital camera-except for her i-phone! LOL
Joey: speaking of power lines, my subdivision (less than 10 years old) all has underground electric; the houses across the road are all older (40 plus years, mostly) and they are all on a different electric service than my s/d. They also have overhead lines. Now that power co. has power lines that come across the yards of those of us who live on my side of the rode and one of their big poles is in my side yard. That power co. promised to move their poles and lines when this s/d was being built but have they ever done that? NO. so when I am taking photos of sunsets or the flowers in my front yard, I have to deal with trying not to get the power lines in the photo which can be difficult, at best. I realize this is certainly not an earth-shaking problem to have and I am thankful for electricity -YES- but the power lines and the pole in my yard are just a little pet peeve of mine. I'll get off my soapbox now. LOL
See photo which I took yesterday. This is looking north toward my neighbor's house--those are their cars on the other side of the pole. Not only can you see the power lines but you will notice how dry the lawn is from lack of rain. We are under a burn ban in about 2/3 of the counties here in our state.

It will be warmer today. Still no rain :o(
# Today: Sunny. Warm. High 82F. Winds NNW at 5 to 10 mph.
# Tonight: Mostly clear. Low 44F. Winds light and variable.

Thumbnail by marsue
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Marsue, that's too bad. Maybe she needs to get a camera for Christmas. I'll bet she would get hooked. I was never a photographer either because I was afraid to waste film. Look at me now! I had to get an external drive to hold all my pictures!

There is no reason for power lines to be above ground any more. They are my pet peeve too, along with roof antennas. (And I have one myself :o)

Your weather sounds great. I'm freezing, as we don't have the furnace on. Why? I'm not sure. I doubt we gather much heat today.

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Mau, we have the exact same power line situation in our yard. Where I grew up, the power lines were on the street, but here they run through the back yards. We have the utillity easement on our side, so at least we get a little bit larger yard because of it. Once or twice a year, a tree service for the power company comes around and trims branches out of the lines. They're friendly and seem to be pretty careful and don't trample my stuff. The screwiest thing though, is that our electric meter is on the back of the house. Sometimes the side gate sticks and the meter reader has to be let in. The circuit breaker box is also outside. Weird.

We have a roof antenna, too. We don't need it anymore and it should be taken down. It looks pretty trailer-trash. (No offense to those living in trailers.) It just provides a perch for the mockingbirds to sit and poo invasive plants seeds all over the place. I guess it could be taken apart or bent up and put in the recycle bin.

Some day, maybe 100 years from now, those antennas will look quaint. Do you think that 100 years ago, people thought their outhouses or laundry hanging out looked quaint?

Cloudy today and not exactly Octoberan, but I'll take it. At least is reduces fire risk.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 8:51 AM PDT on October 15, 2010
61 °F
Overcast
Humidity: 93%
Dew Point: 59 °F
Wind: 4 mph from the SSW

(Zone 7a)

Mau, I agree with BP that your DD would get hooked on photography if she had a good camera. ^_^

Kelli, we have a roof antenna, too. It is only one of 2 in the whole area, I think. I keep threatening to get on the roof and take it down myself but I don't want to hit the fence when it goes crashing to the ground! LOL

59º now and 76º for the high.

The Dusty Miller is blooming again.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Nope, ya'll can forget about my DD getting excited about photography--just like she isn't excited about flower gardening. :o~ She likes flowers and she likes photos but just doesn't want to get involved in those activities herself. She thinks we have so many photographers in our family that we really don't need another one. LOL

Celia: it has been years since I have had a Dusty Miller plant. I forgot that they bloomed! Pretty pic!

Moonvine blossom

Thumbnail by marsue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Celia: you are in zone 5. Will you go here and answer this lady's question for her? Thanks.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1135197/

or maybe one of you who live in Ohio can answer it for her. :o))

This message was edited Oct 15, 2010 11:59 AM

(Zone 7a)

Done!

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

:o))

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Hot and sunny. I want it a bit cooler again. LOL

Here is my tree stump with all the vines on it. It is covered in chicken wire so that the plants have something to grab onto.

Thumbnail by pepper23

The past few days have been cloudy and dark, more like June than October. It's got to be good for the plants. Some of the wild grass is starting to come up.

Updated: 9:16 AM PDT on October 17, 2010
63 °F
Overcast
Humidity: 82%
Dew Point: 57 °F
Wind: Calm

some hiking pictures here featuring the usual hodgepodge, but with an emphasis on massive oaks http://cubits.org/dayhikes/thread/view/38711/

Check out those ears

Thumbnail by Kelli

A little bit cooler than what it has been today. Probably mid 70s. Sunny, not much of a breeze.

Other side of my tree trunk. The other side has bittersweet on it and this side has purple passion vine, which you see, and yellow passion vine which is still only a few inches tall.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Ric notified me early this morning via cmail that Robyn's sister passed away at about 1:45 a.m. She had an asthma attack earlier in the evening that precipitated a heart attack. They were able to get to Dayton and see her before she passed.
Please keep Robyn, Ric and the family in your thoughts and prayers.

Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

I've been busy with doing pickles this week-end. It's been cold and raining ...yuck.
Ric, send Robyn my condoleances for her loss, I'm so sorry. Will keep her and family in my prayers.

Exciting day for me today, an article about me appeared on the other site :

http://cubits.org/WhosWhoSpotlight/articles/view/683/

Finally, my rudbeckia is blooming!!!!

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti
Fayetteville, AR(Zone 7b)

Big big big big hugs for Robyn and Ric, and deepest sympathy to you both.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Sorry to hear about your loss.

Nice day again. Sunny, but cool. Beautiful for this time in October.
No rain since the big flooding rain in Sept.
Farmers are finishing up the harvest. Corn is running very good. Dry enough so they don't need to use corn driers. Poor gas companies can't sell any propane! Chuckle.

I am going to get the garden finished off this week. Still have to build a couple of greenhouses & we have a huge amount of cabinet work. Nice to be busy!

Coolish and scattered rain.

Caught a cold last night so now fighting it. I can't wait til it's gone!!

noonamah, Australia

Kwanjin, weather is a very complex topic and I can only give a rough overview of the local situation. I'd like to be able to understand it better myself. On your crocs question, I'll set up a page on local animals on the other site. There's lots of photos I can post.

Billyporter, one thing about cyclones, you can see them coming a long way off. Tornadoes give little warning. Although often there can be a lot of tornadoes embedded in cyclones, but you still know a couple of days before.

Music2keep, great photo, took the liberty of 'removing' the powerlines but can't post it without automatically getting a copyright on it. But it does look good.

Marsue, underground powerlines became a bit of a hot topic here again a couple of years back when Cyclone Helen came through and some places were up to 2 weeks without power. They'll forget again, until the next one. Sorry to hear that bad news. Had a friend a few years back who had a very severe asthma attack and passed away.

Weather's been unusual for rain. I've had 122.6 millimetres (4.83 inches) so far this October. Not complaining though, because it can get so hot this time of year the rain helps keep the temperatures down and the garden coping better.

Sunrise at my place yesterday morning.

Thumbnail by tropicbreeze
(Zone 7a)

Let me know where to go, Tropic and I'll be a regular visitor. ^_^

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Thanks Tropic! If you D-mailed it to me would it get a copyright? I touched it up here at work, but it needs a little more tweeking...see what you think.

Thumbnail by music2keep
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Doing the happy dance here! It is actually raining! Yesterday, I bought paint for painting the porch columns--should have bought it weeks ago! LOL (kind of like washing your car--if you wash it, here comes the rain. If you don't wash it, no rain!)

Currently 60F on my back porch.

Here's proof!

Thumbnail by marsue

It's raining, it's pouring, the old man is snoring!!!! Woo Hooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave washed my car last Saturday, before that it had been at least 6 weeks since I'd washed it. Funny how that works!

Crissy, same for me about the car...or windows!LOL
Tropic, what a beautiful sunrise!
Hurray for the rain, Mau! Great sky!

It's been raining here all day, strong wind and Dyson dark...grrr!

Nicholas has a new seat!

Thumbnail by adinamiti

I couldn't tell you the last time I washed my truck. Maybe this past summer? Maybe. I don't honestly remember. LOL

Coolish with a high in the low 60s. Mostly sunny.

Curly's latest bed. For some reason he loves my room now and especially sleeping in front of the mirror. Crazy cat. LOL

Thumbnail by pepper23
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

"Vanity, thou name is cat." LOL

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

45* and looking to be a nice day. I'm very behind, but I'm reading :o)

I've accomplished a lot outside and have until Saturday to finish up. We are finally to have rain then.

Gotta keep moving. It's 6:35 am and the moon is bright!

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Yeah, BP: I was outside with Friday for his morning "constitutional" at 6:30 a.m. and it was still dark! I think I will be glad when daylight savings time is over for this year. I don't know which is worse--dark in the morning or dark earlier in the evening (like at 5 p.m.)!

# Today: Partly cloudy skies. Warm. High around 80F. Winds light and variable.
# Tonight: Mostly clear. Low 48F. Winds light and variable.

Supposed to have a better chance of rain this week-end. Sure hope it materializes!

When daylight savings time is over it's completely dark by the time I get home from work, and I hate that.

Me too Mau! They took it from 40% chance of rain down to 20% last night. uuuugggggg

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Quote from crissyr :
When daylight savings time is over it's completely dark by the time I get home from work, and I hate that.

It will be on November 7 to change the clock backward....

I has nice raining and thunders at late night 2 days ago... Will be more raining this weekend....

Nice day today. Highs in the low 70s so it was decent. Cold is almost gone so I was able to enjoy it some.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

40° now, with a high of 63°. Cold day ahead!
Time Until Sunrise: 2 hrs 23 min
Through 11am: Mostly sunny with temperatures steady in the low 40s. Winds NW at 5 to 10 mph.
Dyson Dark and Kiska Chilly

Vicki, thanks! I sure miss everyone too. I think our rain chances are iffy, but at least someone is getting rain :o)

Marsue, I have grown accustomed to the time changes. I miss the late days, but it gives me a sense of winding down and preparing for winter. I like the idea of bundling up and being cozy inside while it's snowing or blowing outside.

Rusty, I hope your rain is coming my way. I've done most of the big things on my list and could use some rain to soften the dirt.

I spent yesterday cutting back the rest of the seed heads. The country is full of weed seeds so I decided to let the birds work on those. I'll put out seeds here whern the snow flies.

It was windy again and filthy. Every time a truck or tractor drove thru Nichols Ag, they raised a cloud of who knows what, fertilizer laced dust.

I stripped the garden of all but the cabbages. Sauerkraut is in the plans this week.

Lets have pie.

Thumbnail by billyporter
Irvine, KY(Zone 6a)

Yum! Cut me a slice, Sally.
No rain anywhere near here, either. We sure could use some. It has been a week since we got less than half an inch.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Sunfarm, how big? I swear, someday I am going to sit down and eat an entire pie! (I say that every Thanksgiving when I'm making pumpkin pie :o)

Hope you are up and around more. I say my gardening prayers every day!

BIG HUG!

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

quoted from BP: "Marsue, I have grown accustomed to the time changes. I miss the late days, but it gives me a sense of winding down and preparing for winter. I like the idea of bundling up and being cozy inside while it's snowing or blowing outside."

BP: I like the idea of spending all winter at a place in the Caribbean, sunbathing on the beach or searching for seashells while watching the waves roll in! You can have your snow and wind! ROFLOL (Of course, that won't happen unless I win the lottery! *big grin*) The pie looks yummy--do you have ice cream to go with it?

big hugs to everybody today! :o))

# Today: Abundant sunshine. Warm. High around 85F. Winds light and variable.
# Tonight: Clear to partly cloudy. Low around 50F. Winds light and variable.

DST ends the same week as my birthday, sometimes it happens on my birthday, this time my birthday is 4 days ahead of it. I get voting and the end of DST. Woo Hoo!!!

My weather is the same as Mau's.

I need a summer house in Alaska and a winter house in Nassau. LOL

We got over 0.5" of rain Monday through Wednesday which means we've had over 1" for the month of October. That is a good bit for this month.

It's been kind of on the cool side for a few days now.

Updated: 2:51 PM PDT on October 21, 2010
64 °F
Overcast
Humidity: 75%
Dew Point: 56 °F
Wind: Calm

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

A couple mornings ago as an ocean storm pulled away. From the kitchen porch.
Andy P

Thumbnail by Sarahskeeper
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

LOL, Crissy, at summer house/winter house!
Kelli: you've had more rain this month than I've had!
Gorgeous rainbow, Andy P!

High of 70 and sunny. A really nice day all around.

Thumbnail by pepper23

Andy, amazing rainbow!
SallyBP, I want a slice too!
Sally sun, sending thoughts and prayers your way. How are you after a week of chemo?
Mau, I want to go to the Carribean too!!!
Crissy, LOL...me too!LOL
Pepper, gorgeous mums!

If you have time please check my article, will remind you of summer :

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/3020/

My mums are blooming too.

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.