July Weather - Last 12 days

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Lets hope this last part of July is kinder in the weather department.
No more storms!!

Calm.
67º
Sunny.

Bernie

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Good Morning! I slept in today and it waited to rain till I was out in the kitchen :o) I woke up in the night and saw lightning way way in the south-west. It took all night to get here and we are being skimmed by the ''top'' of it's range. Mosquitos were on my mind, so I Googled them. Interesting. It takes longer to hatch than I thought. They were out more yesterday, so a new batch is hatching :o(

We'll have a high of 80°F
Scattered T-Storms
Wind: From the Southeast at 8 mph
Precip: 60 %
Max. Humidity: 83 %
UV Index: 7 High

Dyson, it's always nice to look at a rain guage.

Pepper, that is pretty scarey about the highway. Is it one you use a lot? So that's why I couldn't get a picture of my butterfly! Good job! That's better than him sitting!! Don Juan isn't hardy here, but it's a pretty one!

Sunfarm, DD has the wild and not every berry we picked was sweet either. That's why we eat handfuls, LOL!

Thanks for the new thread Bernie. I've never been first in line :o)

Irvine, KY(Zone 6a)

Yes, Appreciate the new thread. We had a major line of thunderstorms cross Kentucky last night but we were on the southern periphery. Got 0.05" while Lexington had about an inch, 60mph winds that took down tents at the fair, etc. More storms headed this way this morning and for most of the rest of the week.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Sunfarm, it's fair week here too and the rain still came even tho it's almost a week later than usual.

I'm so glad we aren't having the winds. That's a lot of work putting the tents back up.

Our rain is done now.

Sunny bright Heliopsis!

Thumbnail by billyporter
Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

As the news said it cause of rain drain for 2 months then it down like big hole on I-435 and I-70...

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the new thread, Bernie! I posted on the previous thread but I'll post again here:

Bernie: I don't think our weather is going to be any "kinder"--it is still hot and humid and still no rain--at least in my part of the state.
BP: a high of 80 would be welcome here LOL but not the mosquitoes--we have enough of those, thank you very much! They even have a mosquito festival every year in one of our more eastern counties--have fried mosquitos and all kinds of treats! Yuck! Gorgeous heliopsis!
Sunfarm: those were some pretty strong winds! I do think the wild blackberries have more flavor than the tame ones.
Rusty: I am not surprised that the road caved in if there has been a lot of rain in that area. Sometimes the construction engineers don't do as good a job as they should when it comes to building roads (or anything else, for that matter).

Here's the weather again:
# Today: A mix of clouds and sun. High 93F. Winds SSW at 10 to 15 mph.
# Tonight: Some passing clouds. Low 76F. Winds S at 5 to 10 mph.

I was able to go out and take some pics this morning.

Thumbnail by marsue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

This is whirling Butterflies guara.

Thumbnail by marsue
(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Bernie, for the new thread but I'm still trying to catch up from the last one! LOL

My gaura stopped blooming and turned green from red. I think I need to put it in more sun.

78.6 °F with 92º for the high.
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 38%
Dew Point: 51 °F
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph
Pressure: 29.91 in (Steady)
Heat Index: 79 °F
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 5 out of 16
Pollen: 4.90 out of 12
Clouds: Few 12000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 4269 ft

BP, have I mentioned how much I love this?

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Fayetteville, AR(Zone 7b)

Waving to everyone!!!!!

I'm just going to say that it's hot, temps in the mid 90's and heat index between 105 to 110 for all of the 15 day forecast and beyond that, with only 20% chance of isolated thunderstorms. It's gonna get nasty...

Irvine, KY(Zone 6a)

In defense of highway engineers, sometimes sinkholes form where nothing was previously amiss. Dry weather can cause them to show up. A 60' hole opened in a subdivision in Lexington last week. Luckily it was under a yard and sidewalk, not someone's house or the street. Many years ago there was a huge sinkhole opened in my neighborhood that took the entire backyard; another opened under a factory floor. They had to pour many truckloads of lean concrete into them to fill them. I'm glad we no longer live there; it was always a worry!

Hot and humid, with scattered showers again today.

Got squirrel problems.

Thumbnail by sunfarm
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

74°

Details for Tuesday, July 20 (Evening)
Evening: Scattered thunderstorms during the evening. Partly cloudy skies after midnight. A few storms may be severe. Low 72F. Winds WSW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 50%.

Got paid today - so will pick up a new rain gauge & have it installed by the weekend. I will of course be doing the installing as I trust absolutely no one else with a measuring device of any kind. Ric and Bernie would be the exceptions to that rule but I don't think they could get here by the weekend.

(Zone 7a)

Sunfarm, I got distracted for just a second by a cat fight. I read..."Got Squirrell?"

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Pepper, you've got some really nice flowers.

The thing that happens where my mom and dad live is mine subsidence. About a mile from their house there was a whole school that had to be abandonned.

Quoting:
..."Got Squirrell?"

Oh, yeah. Want some? I didn't think so. ;-) Actually, squirrels are some of the less troublesome mammals in our yard, probably because we don't grow nuts or soft-skinned fruit. They will take citrus but it isn't their first choice.

DH and I still can't get rid of these colds. My mom said that we must have the Tasmanian punies. That's a joke of hers.

Temperature back to something more normal.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 1:51 PM PDT on July 20, 2010
84 °F
Clear
Humidity: 44%
Dew Point: 60 °F
Wind: 10 mph from the SE

bunch o' stuff on the front slope This would make a challenging jigsaw puzzle.

Thumbnail by Kelli

pride of Barbados

Thumbnail by Kelli

volunteer sunflower
You can see that the leaf below the flower has holes in it. Lesser goldfinches do that. I guess they eat it.

Thumbnail by Kelli
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Well, here at home the temps were in the mid to high 80s and it was partly sunny. In the town where I was at today for a softball tournament, Concordia, it rained this morning, was quite chilly and breezy to those of us in shorts and sleeveless shirts, then was mostly cloudy most of the day. Around 4pm I heard there was storms up north, then the storms moved south and hit us. 60 mph winds, hail in some places and sheets of rain. Lots of lightning and thunder. Now it's mostly south of us and the thunder appears to have almost dimished around here.

We had our softball tournament with the other stores (6 of them) in our chain today. They broke us up into 4 teams with people from all stores on all teams and we played 2 games at a time. My team ended up in 3rd. Not too bad considering everyone was having a hard time getting traction to run. They had laid fresh sand in the fields and with the mud underneath we couldn't get traction and were literally running in place. By the time we got going the team in the field manages to get on their feet and get the ball to base and whoever was running was out. I managed to hit first base one time. That was it. LOL

One of my clematis plants looks like it's dying. Does anyone know what this is? None of my others look like this and I haven't see jap beetles yet.

Thumbnail by pepper23
(Zone 7a)

Sorry, Pepper. I need a better picture to try to help. That's sad. Maybe something broke it at the bottom? It happened to one of mine this Spring.

94º today, 100º tomorrow.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

70° and just right! We'll see 85°.

Hi Rusty, been thinking about you. It will take a while to get the road fixed.

Marsue, I don't care to eat mosquitos either!! I just cut myself a bouquet of the exact rudbeckia and I love gaura!

Celia, it is a winner isn't it! I am amazed at the color everytime I walk past mine :o)

Hi Chrissy, sounds like nasty!

Sunfarm, sinkholes are something else. I hope to never see one in my front yard. Mr. Squirrel doesn't think there's a problem, unless it's that eye looking at him.

Dyson, a serious and solomn ceremony. May the rains fall into your guage accurately :o)

Celia, ''got squirrel?'' Cracked me up!

Kelli, love your Mom's sense of humor. My neighbor can't shake her sinus evern after two bouts of medicine. Super germs beginnig? You have to wonder. Wow, love that color!! A very challanging puzzle! Beautiful pictures and interesting about the finches.

Pepper, those are the winds we could have had for two days and we didn't. I'm so glad, but sorry you keep getting hit! Wow, 3rd! Not bad at all for the Flintstone style :o) Boy, it really died.

Celia, those are so pretty! Are they the knee highs? Is that such a thing, or am I thinking of another flower?

My yard is mowed and more weeds are pulled. I sat in the andirondack chair and read a magazine with my Tiki torch blazing :o)

Irvine, KY(Zone 6a)

I love to watch the squirrels, but not in the birdfeeders! We have both gray squirrels (in previous picture) and fox squirrels (here). We even had flying squirrels a few years ago but haven't seen them lately.

Thundershower in progress now, but most of storms have passed by to our north, again.

Thumbnail by sunfarm
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Celia: my guara bloomed in the spring then stopped and is now blooming again. Yours may do the same thing. Don't you just love the blooms on those monardas! I have a Jacob Cline which is red and the bloom never ceases to fascinate me.
Dyson: getting paid is good! :o))
Crissy: Hi! waving back ~~~ hope to see you at Charlotte's in August. :o))
Celia and Sunfarm: Yep--I "got squirrel" --several of them as a matter of fact and they drive poor Friday silly running across the top of the fence. He thinks he can catch them! ROFLOL
Kelli: pretty flowers. I really like the Pride of Barbados. "Tasmanian punies"---a funny name for an un-funny condition.
Pepper: poor clematis--it certainly is dead, isn't it? That happened to my oranges and lemons gaillardia--it just dried up for no apparent reason.
Yes, Celia, what kind of coneflowers are those?
BP: I think there is a coneflower called "Kim's Kneehigh". Do you really like Adirondike chairs? Personally, I have found them to be uncomfortable.

# Today: Sunshine and clouds mixed. A stray afternoon thunderstorm is possible. Heat index near 105F. High 96F. Winds SSW at 5 to 10 mph.
# Tonight: Clear to partly cloudy. Low 77F. Winds SSE at 5 to 10 mph.

A photo from last winter which was a time when I was longing for warmer weather--now I am longing for cooler weather. We humans are never satisfied, are we? LOL

Thumbnail by marsue
(Zone 7a)

Mau, no...we humans are never satisfied. "If only..." should be banned from our vocabulary. My gaura is in pretty good shade. It's to the right of Buddha in the Memorial Garden. Should I leave it alone?

Kelli..."Tasmanian punies?"

BP, those are coneflowers, Echinacea, a NOID from another DGer who did not ID themselves, either. Thank you, whomever you are! ^_^

We have rain forecast along with our 100º temps today. Sunny with a chance of Chupacabra.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

85° hot and really humid. I guess it's working up to a T-Storm tonight. May have heavy rains if it stalls.

Sunfarm, they can be cute!

Marsue, I almost felt the cold air from your photo. Oh wait, the air conditioner kicked in, LOL! Now, that snow does look pretty nice! Yes, Kim's Knee high is what I was thinking. If it is, I sure like the size! I've loved the andirondacks since I was a kid and sat in my Great Aunt's chairs. When I sit, I actually feel the ''tired'' drain out of me and into the ground. It's the strangest thing, but DH feels it too.

Celia, ROTFL&L&L!! Are you watching X-Files?!

~ ~ ~ at Sugarweed!!

I was weeding around the nasty thorned rambler rose yesterday afternoon, and this fell beside me. Poor guy has a badly ripped wing. I carefully moved him to the clove current. He wasn't interested in flying away and didn't look freshly hatched. I guess he was waiting for nightfall. He was gone this morning.

Polyphemus moth, and I think male. Hard to tell since a moth has feathery antenna anyway.

Thumbnail by billyporter
(Zone 7a)

I think the X-Files are watching ME!!! LOL

They're so pretty. I haven't seen any bigs ones around here lately.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

BP: pretty moth--I hope it flew away and some toad didn't eat it.
Celia: LOL at the photo! By the way, you might want to move your guara. Mine gets morning shade but gets all the hot afternoon sun and is thriving as long as I keep it watered well.

I had lunch with my friend today and had a good two hour visit with her. We ate at Ruby Tuesday's and I had a Carolina Chicken Salad---brought enough home for lunch tomorrow! Yummy!

Nothing new on the weather front: Still hot and humid.

Thumbnail by marsue
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

84°

Details for Wednesday, July 21 (Evening)
Evening: Scattered thunderstorms early, then mainly cloudy after midnight. A few storms may be severe early. Low 71F. Winds WNW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 40%.

Hot and humid again. Chance of storms again tonight, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Then a few days next week too. LOL.

My Don Juan opened fully today so I stuck my nose in the bloom. Today it has fragrance!! Whoo hoo!!! LOL. It smells great and looks great. I'll probably put it where my horrible looking clematis is. I'll just put it off to the side of it in case it comes back from the roots next year.

Here is a close up of the leaves of my clematis. These are the few remaining "green leaves."

Thumbnail by pepper23
(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Mau, I'll do that.

Eeeek!!! Pepper, your clematis looks it has a fungus. One of mine got something last year. Cut it back to the ground, throw away the cuttings, clean up all the fallen leaves and clean your cutting tools. Make sure you wash your hands before touching any other plants, tools, etc. Good luck with it!

This message was edited Jul 21, 2010 8:46 PM

Will try to do that this week sometime. Supposed to be super hot still and more rain coming in. Hopefully I can attack it tomorrow. There's not much green left on it so I will see what the stems feel like.

Here's my Don Juan fully open today. Smelled great too!! I'm estatic with it!!

Thumbnail by pepper23
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Mau that Guara is spectacular!

Pep we're having Clematis problems too, but not that bad.
It's been SO wet and hot that many woody plants are suffering.

Our cherry tomatoes are exploding on the vine.
Filling up so fast w/ water they are bursting.
So far the 'full sized' tomatoes are OK.

We'll it looks like the unemployment bill has passed the Senate.
So I'll be getting a check again..... there's nothing out there.... not even leads anymore.
Any job opening here has 15 people waiting in line for it.
Our jobless rate in this county went from 9.4 to 9.9 in June......
some Ohio counties are in the 14-16 range.

Ric

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Landed a cabinet job for Sept - Oct. today. It is all the cabinets for a new house. Located in the lake country of northern MN.

Market in our little close by town went great today. More customers each week. 4 more vendors than last week.
I hope it keeps up.

Rain predicted for tonight.

(Zone 7a)

Sounds like everyone is doing well. Happy thoughts that it keeps up.

We went to a car show this evening. Any guesses what this is?

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

75° and cool this morning. We'll have a high of 90° Unless it pops up, I don't see us getting any rain. It's all north of us.

Marsue, chicken salad sounds good! So dainty and delicate!

Dyson, nothing in the guage yet?

Pepper, your Clematis might make a comeback. It looks like anthracnose, but that is a wild guess. Don Juan will be a bright spot of color!

Ric, I'm so glad the bill will help you out! No jobs are depressing. What are people supposed to do?

Bernie, Wow! I hope you never get tired of making cabinets! Market is going well!!

Celia, we haven't been to a car show all summer. WOW!

Monkshood, Sparks Variety. Yeah it's that purple!

Thumbnail by billyporter
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Well, I certainly haven't had the problem of too much rain in my area although portions of Arkansas have had quite a bit of rain lately.
So sorry about your clematis, Pepper. I would say Celia is correct. I hope it comes back for you next spring. However, I would think twice before putting Don Juan where the clematis is planted. If it was too wet for the clem. then it could very well be too wet for DJ and you will quite likely see black spot develop on it. We had two DJ's planted in an area that held the rain and we had to move them because of black spot.

Ric: sorry about the job situation up there. "They" just came out this week with stats that showed our unemployment rate here in Arkansas had dropped from 9.5 to 7.5 in the last year, which is good news for our state!

Bernie: Hooray for the cabinet job! Glad the farmer's market is going well, too.

BP: that chicken salad had croutons on it that were made out of some kind of black bread. They were delicious and I could have eaten a bowl of the croutons all by themselves! LOL Although I eat whole wheat bread all the time, I typically don't like the darker breads like rye, etc., but this was soooooo good. I don't know what kind of bread it was. The monkshood is really pretty--love that color!

# Today: Lots of sunshine. Hot. Heat index near 110F. WHEW AGAIN!!! High near 100F. Winds SSW at 10 to 15 mph.
# Tonight: Mainly clear. Low 76F. Winds S at 5 to 10 mph.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Won't get into the political but unemployment rates can be rigged in many ways and for many reasons by how they are collected.
Plus the smaller the State population the easier it is to change the %.
Our county alone has almost 1/3 the total population of AR.
More people than AK.
AR has been one of the least hit States which is good. Hope that trend remains!

People on unemployment is not a gauge. Many people have exhausted their benefits so are no longer carried there.

Anyway it's another hot humid day on tap.
Hoping to get the Garage finished today and finally start finding homes for all the tools in the Workshop.
I've been adding storage containers in there on every square inch! LOL!

Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Just a quick note : I have an article published today...the one I've been working on on the past week.
Here's the link for who wants to read it :

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/2934/

Hot and rain today, no watering, yiipee!
Hi Aurora, glad to see you are awake...Nicholas is sleeping!LOL

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

I cut my clematis back today. It was all dried up like it normally would be in the winter time except there were a few green spots left. It was just as well that it had to be cut back because the jap beetles have invaded my yard so I had to get my Sevin spray out and spray all my clematis and roses. Roses hadn't been hit yet but all but 2, not counting the one I cut, clematis had been. One is growing up into a tree branch so I couldn't get it all but I hope I got enough to keep the damage down.

Unemployment is really bad here. At my job we have several people coming in every day to apply for a job there and we're not even hiring. I don't know of anyone around here that is hiring actually. Those of us who have jobs hold on for dear life and don't complain too much. lol

Ok, now the weather. LOL. Hot, humid and breezy. Not as hot as it has been even though the weather liars say it's the hottest day we've had. I can breathe no problem when out there.

Ok, see the big green leaves on this rose that are sticking up? Is that new growth on the rose or is it something that needs to be cut off? It has thorns on it but isn't that reddish color like most new growth. My other knockouts have the same leaves coming up too. Plus they have the regular red leaves of new growth.

Thumbnail by pepper23
(Zone 7a)

I hope the clematis does okay for you. You may even get new growth this year.

Those leaves don't belong to the rose. It's looks like a weed.

92º today.

Gotta love a '63 Corvette, even if it's pink!

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Sorry but Mary Kay should be shot! LOL!

(Zone 7a)

I agree. The lady who owns it is lucky she was nice. It was in beautiful condition.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

80° with a high of 92° again. Yesterday we had a good breeze and I sat outside and watched the butterflies. Today the Grandkids are coming and we'll have them till Sunday.

Marsue, the croutons do sound delicious! They almost had to be rye, but I would think you would taste it. Don't go outside today.

Ric, anyone without a job or benefits have my full sympathy. Now you are at the best part of building anything, putting things in their places!

Adina, such a sweet picture!

Pepper, no rose beetles for me either, yet. Yeah, jobs are gold right now. That looks like pigweed to me. Pull it.

Celia, no pink for me either. Who ever thought it would work?

Another bouquet, for Marsue!

Thumbnail by billyporter

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.