Flower Pix and Pixies All.... #5 maybe?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

AWESOME is a total understatement for TH AT! Thanks funny bird.

Santa Fe, NM

My D.H. was on his way to a poker game and I was watching t.v. at home. He called me and said, " Go outside right now! " I grabbed the small camera on the way. D.H. told me later that one of the guys at the game ( one of the "dancing bears", as I call them ) was so moved that he cried! It was too big to get in one frame.

Thumbnail by roybird
Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

I am so glad he did!

I've decided a rainbow, especially a DOUBLE rainbow, is indeed a flower, a rare Flower of the Sky.

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Floppage IS sexy with a French accent... sooo... what is that sexy floppy orangey flowery spidery thingy splayed across your lawn Dnut?

That rainbow is the best roybird.

I love the double rainbows we get. Very occasionally we'll see a triple one.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Kyla, I continue to be amazed at the beauty of your garden in just one year -- including the floppage. I really like the photo of the hen and chickens plant.

Roybird, that rainbow picture is stunning. How nice of your DH to alert you out to it. How amazing that the poker player cried. Not something one expects of poker players.

Love rainbows the more the better.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Paj, honey, the floppage is Dahlia's -- at least, that photo is. I have floppage going on also but don't believe I've shared much of it. but thanks for the compliment. ;-)

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Beautiful rainbow!!! I love them, too...

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Oh right, the floppage was dahlia's, at least the photo of floppage. We all have it to one degree or another, I suspect.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

indeed. ;-)

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

I seem to be experiencing more personal floppage the older I get...

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

You too, Brenda? I guess it's going around.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

plutodrive the orange spider is venidium fastuosum (cape daisy). I had orange and white and collected and sowed seed from both but I don't have any white ones this year :(

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Very nice Cape Daisy, need to try that.

Santa Fe, NM

Here is another "not-a-flower" pic of my morning visitors!

Thumbnail by roybird
Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Ooh, very nice! Love that lavender color in there too..... sweet!

Deer Lodge, MT(Zone 4a)

Tango Lily - Halloween

Thumbnail by edder
Deer Lodge, MT(Zone 4a)

Echinacea - Tiki Torch

Thumbnail by edder
Deer Lodge, MT(Zone 4a)

Echinacea - Coconut Lime

Thumbnail by edder
Deer Lodge, MT(Zone 4a)

Yellow Daylily of some sort...

Thumbnail by edder
Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Edder, I just looked in the plant files and found only one variety of tango lily. Perhaps you could enter a few more. 'Halloween' is magnifico.
I really ought to have tango lilies in my garden. They are right up my alley. What do they do when you play tango music for them? Do they seem to prefer Carlos Gardel or Astor Piazzola? Has anyone tried this?

Okay - here is my picture contribution. A bright water lilly at the Denver botanic gardens.

Thumbnail by

And a close up of a pulsatilla (pasque flower) in the DBG's rock & alpine garden

Thumbnail by
Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

Wowza, Jude!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Beautiful photos and flowers, folks! Here is Datura, York St. Lavender that I purchased at the DBG sale this spring. I guess I am going to have to take that Digital Photography class that roybird took because this photo is all washed out. This huge bloom surprised me this morning. It is white with a lavender rim. I was late planting the Daturas and they are just now starting to bloom.

Thumbnail by pajaritomt
Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

That water lily is stunning!

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

Great shot of the pulsatilla DJ.

I just have a quick one this morning of the front yard flower jungle with our neighborhood hummer who stopped by for a quick snack.

Thumbnail by Katlian
Santa Fe, NM

Nice one, Katlian! That looks like a female, like the one currently at my house. There is also a male here and it has a dark head. I think they are the Black-Chinned hummingbirds. Do you know? They are smaller than the Rufous and bigger than the Calliope. Sweet photos everybody! Cosmos and snapdragons in a pot. I just keep adding and subtracting with these pots. I keep thinking I'm seeing fall light now. Oh dear! But, it is our most beautiful light.

Thumbnail by roybird
Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

I don't know how to identify many hummingbirds. One of my coworkers is a bird expert and she said that mine is a broad-tailed female.

Santa Fe, NM

Broad-tailed are common here, too. And I wondered about that one. I'll have to look at the male more closely. I think the broad-tailed have some white on their (broad) tails. I'm always grabbing my Peterson's Field Guide to Western Birds and trying to see who's who.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Beautiful photo of hummer, Katlian, excellent photo of cosmos and snapdragons, roybird. I heard on the radio that we will have 4 kinds of hummers here for the next 2 months and broadtails were one of the ones the commentator mentioned -- the lady from Wild Birds Unlimited, as I recall.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Sweet pic of the hummingbird, and the cosmos and snaps are beautiful, too!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Luv the bright colours.

Santa Fe, NM

Katlian and all, I got some pictures of the male hummer in question. Maybe check them on the Hummingbirds in the Rockies thread.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Just a few before I head out on vacation to the PNW. 'Raspberry Pixie' is a strong preformer for me every year.

Thumbnail by dahlianut
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I call this 'Peach Pam' cuz my dear friend Chef Pam gave it to me. (I call her Chef Pam cuz she makes candy ^_^)

Thumbnail by dahlianut
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Begonia which is supposed to be red in the 'woodland'.

Thumbnail by dahlianut
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

This newbie looks very bright against the 1959 basketweave fence but I think they will look better against dark foliage somewhere else maybe

Thumbnail by dahlianut
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

TOTALLY LUV THIS NEWBIE!

Thumbnail by dahlianut
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Verionica 'Giles van Hees' is a must have IMPO. Drought tolerant dwarf. Mine is about 8" tall. I am collecting seed so dmail if you want.

Thumbnail by dahlianut

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.