Why aren\'t my plants dying/fully dormant this winter in Colorado?

Good Day Fellow Colorado Gardeners!
I have a question for those who live in Colorado. Is it normal to have plants not fully dormant, or not dying off when they should despite many temperature drops and snowfalls? I live in Fountain, growing zone 6 and my yard is south-facing for some context. That, and I have heavily mulched most of my plants minus the veggies and herbs. I haven't seen this in all the 16 years I've lived at my home and gardened in my backyard. I have parts of my honeysuckle that are soft and green even as the lower parts of the vine are brown. All 4 of my roses still have lush green leaves on them as well as for my hollyhocks which are lying flat but still fully green, and even more surprising to me is that there are still cilantro plants and lettuce that are growing. They may not be shooting up into big plants, but they will not die and I've been harvesting from them lol. The other day I saw ladybugs crawling around the garden, and what looked like Japanese beetles mating (yuck). I didn't even think to kill them because I was so shocked at what I was seeing. Has anyone else seen this in their own Colorado gardens? Is this normal or is my yard a miracle? Thanks!

Thumbnail by BubblesTheGardenCat Thumbnail by BubblesTheGardenCat Thumbnail by BubblesTheGardenCat Thumbnail by BubblesTheGardenCat

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.