Spring RU Trade Thoughts

Hmmm i would think the Black Brandywine would be a sweeter one .

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

George, I would love some Garlic chives, and the red bee balm. I have some hosta, yellow iris, and some daylilies for you if that is okay.

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

I stole the bee balm from Dusty's.....but it looks like you're covered on it anyway.

I think Bertie's lanium is yellow, but it's not named. Should I tell her you're interested in it?

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Anyone need Yellow Flag Iris (I.pseudacorus) we're getting ready to divide it.
It's a water Iris that shouldn't be let loose in a pond
but does quite well in a large water container or tub.

WATER CULTURE
Louisiana irises are born to be grown in water. If water culture is your intended purpose, place rhizome in an 18" diameter pot. The depth of the pot should be at least 8" inches. Plant rhizome about 2" from the surface of the soil.

But one of the world's best hybridizers grew his in raised beds......

I may have some 'Black Gamecock' but I won't know until tuesday when I lift the plant.

Ric

This message was edited May 11, 2009 8:46 AM

Flemingsburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Sue
Black Brandywine would be great

Pauletta

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Pauletta....I will bring you a sweet autumn clematis! No...I don't need anything back...but ty...lol!

morehead, KY(Zone 6a)

Gotcha down Bonnie.
Geo

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

Darius and Lilyhostaky , I have you down for some lamium. Lou

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

George, awesome on the begonia! I don't have very many cane varieties, so I'm betting its a new one for me :-)

Lou, I'd like some yellow lamium too if you've got plenty.

Bonnie, I could use some of those yellow iris and purple lamium too.

Ric, how tall does your yellow Louisiana Iris get? I'd like a start of those too.

Got you both covered George and Neal.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Neal they run about 3 1/2 - 4' tall I'd say.
Here's a picture of the ones we're dividing taken yesterday.
They stay in a 200 gallon watering trough all year.
I'd say they've been there 5 years now.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks Ric. That's I.pseudacorus isn't it? Not what I was thinking, but I do have a spot where I could use a start of those :-)

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

LOL, my 1-2 small starts I. pseudacorus became a full square yard in just one year (in the dirt)!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Yikes! Sorry Neal somehow I had this one mis-marked.
It is indeed I.pseudacorus.
The I.louisiana is 'Black Gamecock'.

I'll snag you some of the I.pseudacorus.
BTW the Lilies I got from you are in heavy bud.

Ric

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Yes I'd container it if it's a heavily boggy area.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

I'm going to plant them in a dryer area, that should keep them from being too aggressive. Good to hear the Lilies are happy! Wanna see pics when they bloom :-)

Does anyone have this iris? I saw one at the recent SARU, and although I'm not an iris lover, I'd like to have one... PlantFiles shows some that are more purple... not my favorite color but I loved the blue one I saw. ('Batik')

Thumbnail by darius
Philo, OH(Zone 6a)

I woukld like some blue flag Iris if anyone has some. Also my SIL would like a lilac.

Thanks,

Rebecca

PS the lilacs I got last year are both doing well in spite of the deer munching the tops.

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Oh, that's gorgeous!

Does anyone have extra ferns?

George, Bertie has a green coral bell with red blooms for you.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Rebecca, glad to hear the Lilacs have done well! The backhoe got one of mine last year, it was 4' tall and I thought I'd find at least something of it afterwords, but no trace of it. The Clematis that was growing into it has shown back up but the Lilac is just gone.

The others all bloomed well this year though, and I was especially glad to see them doing well after the drought last year. Here's one of the one's I brought you last year:

Thumbnail by gemini_sage

Unfortunately I'm out of lilacs. I'll see if I can dig any sprouts with some root, but no promises other than the one I potted earlier for Pauletta.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Darius, I will look/see if I can bring you a start of Batik.
Joyce...I have Ostrich ferns...will bring for you.
Ric...I would take a start of that yellow water iris plz.

Marcy, that would be lovely if you can. ^_^

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Bonnie,
Could I have some of your obedient plants?
Pat

Sugar Valley, GA(Zone 7b)

Marcy, could I please have some of those ferns?? You can send mine with Cookie if I don't make it...and if you are going to divide your LOVs again, I would sure love some...I don't know what I will have, if anything yet...

Pat, I have you down for the obedient plant.

George, I asked for the Red Bee Balm, and garlic chives.

morehead, KY(Zone 6a)

Bonnie, you are on the "confirmed" list already. I Put you there last night. : )
Geo

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Thanks, Bonnie!
Pat

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Dusty...sure on both the ferns and LOV!
Hope you all remember what you asked me for..lol...I gotta write this down!
Oh...and Dusty...no trades needed here!

Sugar Valley, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks Marcy....I just wish I knew what was going on...I am kind of in limbo here...I feel so guilty asking for anything...but I have seen your ferns in person, and they are beautiful...and I already have personal experience with your wonderful LOVs from 2 yrs ago...Unfortunately they got lost and left behind on the last move...I am grateful.....

Flemingsburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Marcy if you have extras of the ostrich ferns could I please have some?
Pauletta

Marcy... I had to look up ostrich ferns. Beautiful! There was a clump of tall ferns like that near my mother's place; they died back totally in late summer. Do these do that? (No, I'm not asking for one, just curious about them.)

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Darius that is indeed them.

Robyn and I have found that Dixie Wood Fern is a much better (but slower spreading) fern giving the some affect... i.e. height, dense foliage.
No flagging in August AND basically an evergreen here.
Though they can't take as much sun as an Ostrich....
(which doesn't flag as badly in August if they are grown in moist shaded areas.....
they are after all ferns....lol!)

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/65332/

DWF are about impossible to fund here but I did find a source in Georgetown, KY..... Hey George!

http://www.shootingstarnursery.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=30

We have two and love them!

Ric

Thanks Ric. I used to do quite well with ferns and I may look into getting some again when I can work on the area down by the spring. (Not any time soon!)

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

The Ostriches can take some serious sun..... and for most of the Summer look killer in it....
and MAN to they like to run! LOL!

Ric

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Pauletta..yes on the ferns for you too.
Darius...sometimes these die back..sometimes not until late fall! They seem to love the spot they are in. They were here when we moved here 13 yrs ago. They come back healthier and stronger every year! And they spread...lol..into pathways, etc. But I don't mind. I even love the smell of them! In the spring, they smell so..so...GREEN! LOL!
These are on the east side of my house...morning sun..afternoon shade. And actually, that is filtered morning sun, since there are two trees in the way.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Hello Ric..we crossed!
Yes...since these stay nice even in the late summer...they do take a lot of sun and heat.

Thanks. They will be on my list for consideration, running notwithstanding! They might even do well in the strip between the creek and road... dappled shade to partial shede. There are several large weeping willows over there, and tall grass/weeds that cannot be mowed. When they dredged the creek 2 years ago, they just dumped the dirt in piles and no heavy equipment can maneuver in there to smooth it out. I just hope I can get native flowers to grow amongst all the weeds.

could i get in on some ostrich fern ? i could use some for the woods . I m looking for something that spreads and takes over a wooded area . I hope to smother out some of the other weeds in our woods .
thanks
sue

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.