Spring RU Trade Thoughts

Flemingsburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Yes Bonnie
I have another one for you
Pauletta

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks, I will bring lots of canned goodies, and you are free to have a pick.

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

Daylilydaddy--- not a grass, but I have passionvine(maypop vine) I could bring and it grows quickly.

Also, I have a( third year) butterfly bush that blooms lavender. It was a seedling that I let grow, thinking someone might want one. It bloomed a couple of blooms last year, and should go great guns this year. Lou

This message was edited Jun 4, 2009 9:04 AM

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi, ORVers travelling to the RU,

I just found out that the Cincinnati Hosta and Daylily Society is having their Hosta show at the Northgate Mall (not far off 275 between I 74 and I 75) on Saturday June 6. Here is the contact info: http://www.cincinnatiusa.com/Calendar/event.asp?ProdID=100237

It looks like they will have a hosta sale and it might be fun to stop in on the way down or back from the RU if you are intereseted in Hostas and going in that direction.

Here's the Mapquest Northgate location: http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?city=cincinnati&state=OH&address=9501+colerain+avenue&zip=452512&country=us&zoom=7

Also, as Ric mentioned, the Anderson Township Garden Tours event is scheduled for Sunday June 7, (Anderson is the suburb where the RU is held), and it is open to the public and free. I think the details are posted on the other thread (or ask Ric!).

Just some ideas....

See you Saturday!

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

I've run into some snags that may prevent me from coming to the RU, darn it! For one thing, Dave is doing a tiling job that he needed some help with this week, so I've been doing that. Just a kink in scheduling getting stuff ready, but then the rain we're having today is not only keeping me from getting things dug, but has delayed the tile job too (needed to cut tile outside today). Also, found out some friends from the Louisville area were hoping to come down for a birthday visit (my b-day is today, but I think they were hoping to celebrate this weekend). I'm finding it hard to say no to that, LOL. I was still thinking of getting away for a few hours for the RU, but I'm kinda sore from the tiling and the idea of the car ride isn't very appealing right now. Although I am happy that I was more prepared than the other two for being on my knees working from all the planting this spring, I think they're in worse shape!

Some stuff I have for folks can be easily mailed, those won't be a problem. Others I could plan for the fall RU (I'll have to make that one if I'm missing this one!). As far as stuff for me, gotta think about that. It aint like I'm in desperate need of plants, LOL, but I love plants from special friends like y'all. So no biggie if someone else at the RU would like the plants.

tabasco, you'd mentioned coming down (when we were discussing Salvia argentia on the cottage gardening forum). I don't remember if I told you, that would be super! I've got the gardens in a state finally that I'll show off, LOL.

That goes for any of y'all if you're in the area :-)

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Happy Birthday Neal and boohoo, I hope things turn around and you'll make it after all....

Are you close to anyone that we can get these things to you by giving to them? If not....I see a road trip in my future!!!!

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Neal... sigh.

but anyway, Happy Birthday!

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Happy Birthday Neal! Gee....we will miss you at the roundup for sure! Are you SURE you can't make it????????
Seems like too many are backing out at the last minute???
I still don't have all my plants dug either...but like Neal said...rain!
I have a cardio dr appt today...and then going to get my grocery stuff out of the way...so tomorrow should be good for getting things done!
Hope you all have a super day!
I am off to get busy!

Oh, darn, Neal! I guess I'll just have to make that trip to KY! Get the mint juleps ready! We will miss you Saturday!

If anyone wants to stop over at our house after or before the RU for a (spiked) lemonade and see if there is anything they want to 'dig' from the garden, they are welcome to. We are just a mile or so from the RU site. I don't really need anything for our garden, so don't worry about a trade. (Well, just butterfly host and nectar plants). Send me a d-mail me for directions.

See you Saturday.

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

Gemini-sage---- Are you sure you can't make it to the round up ? I'm getting plants ready and if you don't make it, don't worry about sending the plants. We will also try to make it to fall round up. Lou

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Happy, Birthday, Neal!

I'm sorry I won't get to meet you this RU, but I know all abt sore bones & joints, so I can hardly fault you there.

Pat

I thought I posted here, but maybe not, Joyce you want to investigate this for me? Hehe!

Neal Happy Birthday, we sure will miss you Saturday, but sounds like there is a lot going on. Next RU, you block it off on your calendar, notify all your friends and plan no big jobs till afterward. That should help you free up your day.

South Point, OH(Zone 6a)

Bob has divided some clumps of white siberian irises, so we will be bringina a bunch of those.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Esther, I'd love some white iris!

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Oooo I have just the place for some of those.... ^_^

morehead, KY(Zone 6a)

I was digging in the green house and found

1-unknown small potted brug
2- unknown angel wing cane type begonias. One a reddish serrated edge and one more green with more smooth edges and silver looking spots on it.

If anyone is interested I can bring those also.
Geo

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Esther...I wouldn't mind having a start of those iris either plz. What can I bring you?

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

The begonias sound cool Geo.
May I?

Ric

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

I would love either begonia! Lou

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Geo please give these Begonias to Lou instead of me.
We I think we got them from you last year.
If not I can always 'borrow' a cutting....lol!

I'm off to dig Bamboo.
If I don't see you guys again it's been wonderful knowing you!

Ric

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

We couldn't find any Name Tags.
Any one have any?

Ric

Columbus, OH

I have some newly rooted cane begonias, probably Torch and a couple of others...

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

I'm just getting into those.
A Torch please? What do YOU need?

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Oh...I thought I saw where Bonnie was getting the name tags??? Or did I imagine that??
And I looked at them yesterday in Wallyworld too...but didn't buy any because .....!

Columbus, OH

Hmmm..what kind of bamboo do you have, if you have extras?

I also am bringing some extra oddball squash and cucumber plants...white pattypan, prob. Poona Keera cucumber, Armenian cucumber, that sort of thing.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

I have a cute little Variagated Dwarf that isn't too agressive.
It's still emerging but I can easily send you some.

Ric

Columbus, OH

I have yellow and green variegated dwarf, but if you have white and green, that'd be fabulous! Or anything fragrant, or that attracts butterflies or hummingbirds...

Ric, I have the name tags. So got that covered.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Thanks Bonnie.

Hummers eh....I'm sure we have something around here

Flemingsburg, KY(Zone 6a)

I am bringing some cane begonias
rooted cuttings.. for who ever wants them
I THINK they are dragon wing, my special angel and a noid

Would love some white iris if there is any left

Pauletta

South Point, OH(Zone 6a)

I did not see the response to the white iris until I got home. I hope all who wanted it got some, if not, there is next RU.

I was very happy with the big variegated willow we got from Jana,( the cuttings I got from the previous RUs never made it.) the brugs, the begonias from Pauletta, black bamboo from Ric and the canned goods from Bonnie.

Thumbnail by Esther_z6

Esther, please give me a critique on the canned goods. I realized after I got home that in addition to pickling beets, I also put some up plain, and didn't mark them. So if you open a jar of what you think are pickled beets and find them plain, put some salt and pepper and butter on them, stick them in the oven till they are heated through, and you can enjoy buttered beets instead!!

Williamsburg, OH(Zone 6b)

Hello everyone.
Just wanted to thank all of you for such a warm welcome.
I thoroughly enjoyed talking to everyone. such a relaxed event.
hope to see you all at the fall round Janna

Columbus, OH

Had I known that folks wanted them, I'd have brought some preserves, too. I have jalapeno jelly, cherry (from last year but still good), and freshly made rhubarb-ginger preserves.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

If it's food Celene they will come.... ;-)

I need to get w/ you and talk Yogurt.
We're starting to get interested in that in the Frozen style again.

Columbus, OH

Oh, I'll talk yogurt any time. I make frozen yogurt all summer long...I made strawberry with Cointreau with strawberries from my garden. Fat free even works fairly well, but like with anything...fat adds texture. I like exotic flavors, not sure what you two would like...my personal favorite is probably cardamom-lime.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

We're getting into Ice Creams and the like.
We absolutely fell in love w/ Frozen Yogurt when our Son was hospitalized in the 80's.
Their French Vanilla was killer there...and a great bribe for the MICU Nurses....lol!

When we were still in Greene County we could get whole un-homogenized milk at Young's Dairy.
We made our own butter and had just started w/ cheeses.
After we moved we kind of got out of it.

Oh BTW I raise Cardamom........

Ric

Columbus, OH

I raise cardamom as well, but can't get it to flower here...

I don't know that you need unhomogenized milk, but fresh milk is great if you can get it. I tend to prefer sour yogurt, and if you're not used to the texture of real yogurt, rather than storebought stuff that's full of gelatin and gums, it'll take some getting used to, but it's sooo much better. If you're inclined, it works well with Splenda, too.

Celene, I am interested in making yoghurt, too. Frozen and regular.

I bought some 'starter' culture at the natural foods store ( 'Susan's' on Beechmont) just because I saw it on the shelf. Now to do something with it?

And I like the flavors you are experimenting with. That's the sort of stuff I like, too. I have a french 'Preserves' cookbook that features many different flavors that are strange to Americans, at least I don't see them on the shelves here. Like your rhubarb/ginger. Or fig and thyme. Sounds delish to me though.

In Columbus I stop into Jeni's Ice Cream once in a while. There is also Denise's on High Street which my sister says is pretty interesting and they make ice cream (and I think some yoghurts) like cucumber, ginger, green tea, etc, which is fun and different. I haven't been there.

I think Graeter's has a lock on the ice cream market here in Cincy and they are not very creative.

Sorry for hi-jacking the thread. Maybe Celene, you would want to start a yoghurt thread for the summer. Might be fun. I would like to learn your tricks.

Ric have you ever checked into a cow share ?
soon we will have goats , if you like goats milk cheeses ?
I know of one DGer who does have a cheese thread in Homesteading forum ?
just thought it was something you might find interesting
but a yogurt thread yummmy
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/965655/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.