What size is the property that you garden on??

Kannapolis, NC
There are a total of 568 votes:

I have a small city or suburban lot.
(238 votes, 41%)
Red dot

I have a lot between one and five acres.
(171 votes, 30%)
Red dot

I have five acres or more.
(49 votes, 8%)
Red dot

I have more than ten acres.
(56 votes, 9%)
Red dot

My 'land' is my balcony/courtyard.
(17 votes, 2%)
Red dot

My property is not big enough for my gardens!
(37 votes, 6%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

TBG, I love daylilies. I only have some mini Stella de Oros that bloom all summer. My others are large are pretty but only bloom once. That photo of the red ones is gorgeous! Do they rebloom? If so please share the name. ; )

gabagoo, you have really packed a ton of plants in that small courtyard. I added you as a contact so I can see more of your photos. I've been thinking I should climb on the roof and take photos--not sure I will do it weekly though LOL!

Hilliard, OH(Zone 6b)

i do most, no, not most, ALL of the gardening in the house hold. and by the way, im not even out of highschool. lol. call it an obsession, i call it a life style XD. here is the front of our house in the burbs. just before the day lillys bloom. i wish i caould do more, but my mom wont let me. lol.... maybe when we move... :) alsoo......... i am sooo devoted to gardening, that for mothers day, i put in all lthe annuals... well, whats special about that, you say.... there was a tornado while i was gardening! lol and to every one who has replyed about the garden, thank you:) and im sure my mom is just glad that im not into hard drugs, or somthing like that. lol. im the only non-conformist guy under 20 that you see in the garden, ive had a coupple good stares XD.
ps, you should see the back yard.... banana plants and palm trees dominate. a slice of florida in ohio:)
thanks all

This message was edited Mar 1, 2009 10:14 AM

Thumbnail by tropicsofohio
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

tropicsofohio, I salute you and your efforts. You will be a great future gardener. And will have a lifetime to garden as you choose. Your home is lovely. I'm 70 now but didn't garden until I was in my twenties.

Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

tropics, I loved to help with the gardening from the time I was 3. That means that I have loved it for over 50 years now! Gardening is a wonderful hobby that you can enjoy your entire life. I bet your Mom loves that you are into such a wholesome activity.

(Judith) Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Cactyspatch, you have an absolutely lovely setting! I loved your flickr photos.

Nancy, your magnificent garden always makes me smile.

Tropicsofohio, you go girl!

Aspenthomas, do you have room for my tent?? I love your setting. I'd love to live there.

Marilynbeth, your house and gardens are picture perfect.

So many beautiful gardens. They should all be in a garden magazine.

This is an amazing forum...er, poll.

St. Simon's Island, GA(Zone 9a)

Isn't it amazing what everyone does with their different spaces? I just can't get over the variety of what everone does with their own gardens.

We have 3 acres, and it's just enough space for me. I do all the gardening here too. DH doesn't care for the outdoor 'work', only play. I'm hoping to do a little larger veggie garden this year. I've been using a small space for the last 3 years, making sure I would keep up with the weeding and picking, and I've done well. I'm hoping to reward myself with something a little larger.

Central, VA(Zone 7b)

Wow these pictures are so inspiring, from tiny to immense, DG members have fantastic gardens. This thread alone is worth the price of a DG membership. Thank you all.

Hebron, KY

revclaus,

Thanks for the nice words!

Everyone's gardens look wonderful and inspiring!

Marilyn

Kannapolis, NC

Tropic: You can come garden all you want at my place! What an inspiration you are to all of us. Wish I had been into gardening when I was your age. It's good for the soul and good for your body.

Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

Well, I have a suburban lot, but it isn't exactly small for being in town. It's a corner lot, first off, and the previous owner annexed an extra patch of land that wasn't large enough for a house (but was more than large enough for a detached 2.5 car garage). All total, it's a quarter acre, which is plenty for me. Since it's all brand new (I moved in mid-September '08), I have a lot of work to do this spring. The yard once was very loved, but the people who owned it last neglected it. I'm looking forward to showing it love once again. :)

Thumbnail by KaylyRed
Gravette, AR

WOW, we have 80 acres mostly in pasture for the cows. About 5 is for house, garden, shop and mobile. Both of our closest neighbors are 1/4 mile away (one is my son, DIL and grandson). There is so much peace and solitude here I can't believe I'm only 15 minutes from town...

I want to rework the "back yard" cause it's mostly just pastureland. I want to turn it into something like some of your pictures here. What beautiful oasis' you all have! This is such a great site!

I live in the south and we're always fixin' to do something. (For those up north that would mean "going to do"... ;-) !) We're fixin' to make the vegetable beds a little bigger this year and we're fixin' to tear out the front walkway beds and move the roses to a circle bed in the front drive. There's so much stuff to get done, I'm tired already.

I've attached a picture of my "backyard" during the last ice storm. The first tree line is our back property line. We sit to the back of the acreage. It's a blank canvas right now...

Thumbnail by Veterkins
Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

1/3 acre is not big enough!!!!

Brunswick , GA(Zone 9a)

I have a suburban lot about 120' x 90' and cannot find anywhere to put anything else. In my backyard I have approximately 80 azaleas along with numerous other plants such as holly ferns, hostas, nandinas (sp) and hydrangeas. This does not include the perennials, dogwoods and japanese red maple and hugh hugh maple tree. In the summer I plant lots of impatients for color in the shade. It's very peaceful and the birds are music to my ears when I am in the hammock or sitting under the arbor with a hugh glass of sweet tea. Oh summer.....when will you be back.....I miss you. I have lovely pictures but not smart enough to enclose an image. I did not come along in the computer age, but trying my best to learn to be a modern grandma. Can someone help me and then I can share my yard with you.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

I can try to help..... If the image is on the desktop of your computer, then look just below your posting box here in the thread and you will see a smaller window that is titled "image:" and next to it a "browse" button. Click browse and your desktop should show you the available items you have as files there including any images you have (you may have to move the image from wherever it is stored onto your desktop first) -- if you select the one you want to share (on my computer that means I select a button that says "open") it should then copy its name in that little image window (it will be just the file name there) and then when you publish your post by selecting "send" the image will post along with whatever you wrote.

hope that helps......

Kyla

I just posted an irrelevant image that way.....

Thumbnail by Kylaluaz
Brunswick , GA(Zone 9a)

Kyla, thank you so much. See if this works.

Thumbnail by FlipFlops
Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Whoa! It worked! Gorgeous! and I am so tickled I was able to verbalize that so you could do it, whaaaat a rush. hee hee.

K.

Brunswick , GA(Zone 9a)

Yes...thank you, thank you. Made my day. See you can teach an old dog new tricks! LOL

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Maybe it takes one old dog to teach another, lol

New Hampshire, NH(Zone 5b)

I have a little less than 1/2 acre, located in the best of both worlds - very close to all the major conveniences, but nestled in a quiet little neighborhood. I'm in the processing of landscaping every square inch of my yard. I've consented to a small patch of grass (what is it with men and their grass?!); but the rest is plants, water gardens, trees and flowers.

Thumbnail by SongsofJoy
Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Oh that is stunning.

Kannapolis, NC

Wah, I want to live in your garden!

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

that is probably what the grass is for, to lie on and succumb to that enchantment!

one of these days I'll be able to succumb...for now there's too much more work to do. it's a sickness, I tell you...no, madness!

Brunswick , GA(Zone 9a)

The soft color palet of lavender and purple is beautiful. I can almost hear the water. Absolutely gorgeous!!

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

You win the prettiest yard contest! That is really a great accomplishment. Awesome.

Middleburgh, NY

After purchasing the adjoining property so we could expand our gardens, we have 5 acres. Two sides are bordered by a creek and two sides by road.

Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

SongsofJoy, that's such a tranquil scene, and so beautifully done. I'm completely blown away. (And a little envious, I must admit. Astilbes hate me.) I wish my garden could be like yours when it grows up...

Rutledge, TN

We have 40 acres, about 30 of it in woods. I have 8 flower gardens spread around here and there amidst the lawn, fruit trees and berry bushes, about 2 acres. And the rest belongs to a small herd of sheep and goats, geese, ducks and free range chickens. Throw in 5 cats and a dog and there it is! As a little girl, I always wanted to live on a farm, have lots of animals and flowers and be an artist. I really, really wanted a horse..All my wishes came true, except the horse. With all these other things to care for, who has time for a horse!

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

For those of you that haven't seen some of SongsofJoy's other photos of the gardens please take the time to look them up, they are absolutely beautiful.

Doug

Mesa, AZ

SongsofJoy, your garden is amazing! Can you come do that to my yard?

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

6 acres on a 130 acre centennial farm with 3 house family owned! :)
I garden on over a acer...

Thumbnail by notmartha
Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

Fabulous gardens everyone!

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

So many wonderful gardens. This is a great thread...
SongsofJoy, I've stumbled across various posts of your gardens in the past and am always enchanted with what you've accomplished - lovely, lovely, lovely! Terri

Brunswick , GA(Zone 9a)

Notmartha, beautiful!! I love looking at all the different gardens. Just like each individual...each is unique. I bet the butterflies love your garden!

Thanks everyone. It is my little backyard paradise. I miss it terribly in winter so I live on the pictures and the promise of spring...ahhh...one more month if I'm lucky!

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I have just over 4 acres. It used to be a cow pasture so the ground is rich. I mow about 2.5 of lawn, have at least a half acre veggie garden. We've got outbuildings and a 20x40 greenhouse. I grow veggies, apples, pecans (someday we'll get a harvest) I have several beds for ornamentals and an 8x30 covered front porch for containers.

This year I'm re-doing the front entryway bed. We've pulled out all of the Crimson Barberries and I'm putting in a couple of Japanese Maples, some David Austin roses, and some more 'interesting' additions. We left a very large (by KY standards) crape myrtle in this bed as an anchor and I have hostas planted under it.

Everyone's pictures are wonderful! I'll have to dig some out. Mine are on my old computer and I haven't had time to move them. But I'll get some shortly!

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

I checked the first one, but I don't have what is exactly a "small" lot as far as city and suburban lots around here go. We have 2/7 acre.

I don't have all that good of a representative picture, so this will have to do.

Thumbnail by Kelli
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Songs of Joy, its not so much about men and their grass... its the machines they mow it with!! LOL They must mow you know and so to them its becareful where you sow!

Well here is a small corner of our weed patch...majority is daylilies.. basically anything you see here that is tall except for those three mongrel milkweeds is daylilies!

Its roughly about a third of our daylily patches.

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

My garden path and my "jurassic" garden phlox....derned stuff is 5 foot tall!

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.