What size is the property that you garden on??

Hebron, KY
There are a total of 568 votes:

I have a small city or suburban lot.
(238 votes, 41%)
Red dot

I have a lot between one and five acres.
(171 votes, 30%)
Red dot

I have five acres or more.
(49 votes, 8%)
Red dot

I have more than ten acres.
(56 votes, 9%)
Red dot

My 'land' is my balcony/courtyard.
(17 votes, 2%)
Red dot

My property is not big enough for my gardens!
(37 votes, 6%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Hebron, KY

This is also from Summer of 2007 and looking to the back yard and some of my flowerbeds and containers

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Marin, CA(Zone 9b)

If I could, I would have voted for "My garden is as big as a handkerchief!", but that doesn't stop me from planting a whole orchard on it!
Christie

Thumbnail by mrs_colla
Hebron, KY

This is looking from our patio in the back at a few of my flowerbeds and some of my birdfeeders in May 2008

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

I have about 3000 species of plants on 1/10 of an acre.. .pretty crowded!

Thumbnail by palmbob
(Zone 7a)

I'm surprised, too, by the differences in gardens and styles of gardening. Y'all are giving me ideas.

Palmbob, you make it look like the property is bigger.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks Tri_Na_Nog, Hemophobic and Flowerjen for the nice words on my space. Also the picture was taken by DH from the roof. Here is a more current one where the shop was painted and a deck and walkway added last year.

Laurawege….you have made use of your corner, very nice!

Cedar…..Great natural setting for the daffodils

Revclaus…demac085…gabagoo and Christie…. All of you really need to rent a lawn somewhere….or send me your extra plants! None of you need to worry about grass though.

Willowwind2…bet those golfers slice just to see your garden up close

Rentman….Love your greenhouse/ bunny hut…but I agree with the DW on the warm climate!

Marilynbeth…. Talk about curb appeal…WOW!!

Guess I have to add you to the "need to rent a lawn" group Palmbob! LOL!

Thumbnail by Sheila_FW
Hebron, KY

Thanks Sheila, but I've changed that flowerbed at the street to what it looks like this in June 2008. I left a few plants and then I have started adding Tall Bearded Irises. Hopefully, this Spring it will look even better with the Irises all in bloom. :-)

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

This was this year's containers on the patio in May, but I have had more containers on the patio other years

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

Here's the same container group a month later in June 2008. They've really gotten bigger and fuller

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Every ones pictures are beautiful!
I'm on 2 and a half acres. Originally grass and gum trees, now at least half is under garden, and the rest is still grass and gums, but manicured.
My style started as cottage, then went to tropical exotics, as its too humid here for most cool climate plants. Anything that requires more than 2 prunes a year is getting the 'Chop' as its become very time consuming and I want to make it easy maintenance.
I use lots of sugarcane mulch for weed suppression, and try to stay ontop of it. I also garden for a living, which means I'm quite insane!
This is the lawn between the house and truckshed

This message was edited Feb 24, 2009 8:14 PM

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Coffs Harbour, Australia

My main garden has pathways through it for easy access to all areas. I love my garden

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Kannapolis, NC

Gardener: Wonderful! The winter scenes are so peaceful looking.

Weed_woman: How gorgeous your gardens are. Easy to understand your love for them.

Mrs_colla: Your front area is packed full but still interesting! It lures me in. Who's the charming young man?

Everyone: All the photos are quite lovely and inspiring for different reasons, but there's something in each that hits the spot for me.

Thank you each and all for sharing your garden photos on this cold winter day. Here are daylilies from 2008 at our mailbox.

Thumbnail by Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

Here is the natural area in front of our house. It is still a work in progress, but has some azaleas, a Japanese maple, lots of daylilies, some hostas and various other plants. This photo is from 2008.

Thumbnail by Hemophobic
Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

About 1/2 an acre on top of a hill of which the flattest part is where the house sits. Some small bit of lawn left since I attempted to turn as much area as possible into raised beds or shallower beds with stone borders. If you don't put a border on it, the soil will wash down the hill in the rain. However, I have beautiful hosta, daffodils, beds for vegetables and places for large containers. I am interested in plants that will hold the hillside.
Here's a picture from the top of my hill from last spring. The plant is Cornus mas, Cornelian cherry, which is a bright yellow torch in early spring. You can see the neighboring street below.
Martha

Thumbnail by gardenmart
Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

8.5 acres here....but it's still not enough!

Marin, CA(Zone 9b)

Hemophobic; this is my son, who has the duty to check for aphids on the fruit trees and than squish them between his fingers! He likes that job!
Sheila_FW; rent a lawn; that's the bright idea I was looking for! But wait; I have a back yard that needs to be planted, about twice the side of my front yard. DH wants me to wait planting there until he is done building an outdoor cooking area. ( He hasn't started though.)
Christie

EDIT to say, yep, the previous picture is my son, here he is not at work!

This message was edited Feb 24, 2009 3:30 PM

Thumbnail by mrs_colla
Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

Thank you Hemophobic. That was taken just a few minutes after sunrise, this is what it looked like.

Thumbnail by gardener105
Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

mrs_colla, you have an invisible son? ^_^

Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

This is my flowerbed east of the house. This was taken on the 4th of July.

Thumbnail by gardener105
Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

This was taken on the 13th.

Thumbnail by gardener105
Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

Whoa. Some of you have some great gardens & space! I have about 200 sq.ft. of dedicated garden beds that are 4ft deep that surround the interior perimiter of my back yard. The rest is pool and cool decking. Just not enough space for all of the flora I want!!!

Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

Here's another pic from a different angle.

Thumbnail by gardener105
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I think ms colla meant to that “that was”…her son in her pic from above. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=6181706
Weedwoman…beautiful tropicals
Gardener105… Bet the butterflies and hummers love your oasis

This message was edited Feb 24, 2009 11:11 AM

Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

We have an acre but use only part of it. I would not have the time nor want to use the water it would take to plant it all. Plus I love the native plants and cactus that grow on most of the acre.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltdiva/sets/72157610962910928/

Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

Straight out from the porch.

Thumbnail by gardener105
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Cactus....Couldn't get the pics to pull up large...but the thumbnails show enough to see it is a georgeous property you have!

This message was edited Feb 24, 2009 11:08 AM

Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

Thank you Sheila, that was a great pic! Yah, I do have quite a few of all shapes, sizes and colors. I love Butterflies and Hummers!
From the north end.

This message was edited Feb 24, 2009 9:10 AM

This message was edited Feb 24, 2009 9:54 AM

Thumbnail by gardener105
Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

Thanks Sheila, don't know why it would not let you see a slideshow but somedays flickr has hiccups! Nice shots gardener105. ; )

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

A whole bunch of us were trying to view you group at one time....it overloaded! I will try later.

Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

I have so many pics of my place I wish I could post them all but that's impossible. This how I know summer is over. This was taken on the 10th of Oct.

Thumbnail by gardener105
Yonkers, NY(Zone 5b)

Lawn??? I don't need a lawn! LOL!
If I ever moved to a houe with a lawn, it would not be there for long, that's for sure!
I'd have paths meandering around the garden that would replace the lawn.
I love weed_woman's garden. THAT'S what I'd have!

Hey, aspenthomas! Your pic makes me drool! I'd love to be near the water - a lake or a pond... something that does not flood!
You're not to far from my sister. She's in Ashburn.

Mrs_colla - LOVE your porch! Man, I'd plop myself down and NEVER move!

Here's a pic of my yard taken from the bench in the back.
Nancy

Thumbnail by gabagoo
Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

Thank you cactuspatch. This is what it looks like in the winter. Pretty barren huh.

Thumbnail by gardener105
Yonkers, NY(Zone 5b)

cactuspatch! WOW! Great pics!
I have photos on flickr too.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nlf/collections/

The "Weekly Update" albums contain pics I take every Saturday morning from May thru Dec of my yard. It's fun to watch it as a slide show. You can watch the garden grow.

Nancy

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Gardener105.....Everyone has to sleep sometime to rejuvinate..even our gardens.

Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

I know Sheila, but it just looks so ugly in the winter unless it snows on it.

Thumbnail by gardener105

Rarely do I get a chance to post on this forum. After seeing all the creativity and beauty pictured in the above postings I knew I wanted join in this Voting Booth topic. We have two acres in the country which have become a "lifetime" gardening "project". I'd like to share a couple of scenes from last spring and summer. This one is from July 2008.

Thumbnail by

This one is from May 2008.

Thumbnail by
Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

So many beautiful gardens. It's wonderful to see all of your efforts.

TBGDN - as the last post, I will specifically say your photos are gorgeous. They make me remember spring is coming.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Well, you have to look beyond the daylily to see the back pasture where our horses play. It is actually the veiw from our rear of our home.

We raise close to 500 varieties of daylilies and numerous other perennials the garden area. They have been a passion for over 25 years.. Some of our own homeraised hybrids are starting to grow now.

When we came to our 25 acre haven.. there was not a domestic perennial growing on the place other than grass and a few trees in the houseyard. We dug up and transplanted about 1 acre of perennial flowers that we raised at our old farm before moving and brought them all here..

We have a small 8x 16 ft green house and have been working on a larger 100x 25 ft hoop house but that project slowed down when my husband fell ill. Don't know if we will ever continue it or not at this point yet. Right now I do most of the work here by myself and so running the hoop house would be a bit much for me with the rest of the mess but we are hoping when he is able and retired.

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.