What size is the property that you garden on??

Mesa, AZ
There are a total of 568 votes:

I have a small city or suburban lot.
(238 votes, 41%)
Red dot

I have a lot between one and five acres.
(171 votes, 30%)
Red dot

I have five acres or more.
(49 votes, 8%)
Red dot

I have more than ten acres.
(56 votes, 9%)
Red dot

My 'land' is my balcony/courtyard.
(17 votes, 2%)
Red dot

My property is not big enough for my gardens!
(37 votes, 6%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Wow SoCal, way to pack them in!!!

Kannapolis, NC

Sheila: Love that flower bed shaped like your state!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Sheila-nice yard...did you take that pic from your roof????

(Judith) Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Kyla, thanks! Good luck with your efforts. You've got a balcony AND land. I'm envious.

SoCal, gorgeous garden!

flowerjen, I used to live in Jersey (Cranbury). It's a sin to have that much grass in a place where everything grows so well!!

Hollyrye, that's a good way to add plants during this recession. I'm trying to conserve money, but not having a lot of luck. Thank you for trying to revive a rental yard.

southern willamette , OR(Zone 7a)

I garden on an acre. However I don't own the land. Strange scenario. Their land, mostly my garden.

I agree Rev.... the grass is just too much!

This message was edited Feb 23, 2009 2:41 PM

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Rev, thank you! I was just reading a discussion you were having about potting mixes.... quite helpful.

redchic01, sounds nice, actually..... I have never owned the land where I garden. Would be mighty nice. I think.

southern willamette , OR(Zone 7a)

I agree... I think that it would be nice. Maybe some day we'll have our own!!

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Here's to that day!

Mid-Cape, MA(Zone 7a)

Fascinating thread. . .
. . . we live on a "builder's acre," which means that it can include steep woodland areas (which ours does) and still count. I probably have 1/2 acre of mixed lawn and garden beds. . . working on getting rid of the lawn ("no, Honey, the beds haven't expanded. . . must be your imagination!") ;-)

Frankfort, KY(Zone 6a)

I have 1/3 acre including the house driveways and out buildings.
A 20x26 veg garden, set out 60 tomatoes last spring, started them in the 6x8 greenhouse. This fall I enlarged the GH 16 more feet and was able to put the rabbits inside so their water didn't freeze. They are out side now in the red shed to the left.
Moved from south Florida 3 years ago, I love it, my DW would rather be in Florida. Love everyone pictures.

Thumbnail by rentman
So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I checked 1-5 acres but in reality our property is 19 acres. Most of it is steep and useless except for a woodlot. Even that presents problems due to the inability to get any equipment in... sure wish I had a mule (and knew how to use it).

For garden area, I really don't have any more useable space than I had on my previous suburban lot, maybe 1/2 an acre or so. Seems like more when I mow!

rentman, your rabbits tolerate the snow in that cage that appears open??

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

rev, We know Cranbury very well, hubby does the hvac for all township and school buildings.

Chewelah, WA(Zone 5a)

SoCal, your yard is just lovely. You have done wonders with that small space. My (non-gardening) brother lives in Huntington Beach and I swear his back yard is smaller than yours. Would you believe, he hires a gardener to mow his postage stamp back yard?

Frankfort, KY(Zone 6a)

darius, when that picture was taken the bunnies were inside the GH, they are out side now even though it is still freezing here.
I water them with bowls when it's freezing, poor soles lick the ice for water, but think about it...what do rabbits do in the wild?
I do take good care of them (they are meat rabbits) Yummm
And the poo means more to me than the meat.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

I live in a townhome rental and have a small bed in the front (I'm an end unit so I've annexed the side of the building and dug out another bed along that side of the building) and containers on the sidewalks plus my walled in patio out back which is overrun with containers:lol:
This is the back--

Thumbnail by dmac085
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

I voted yard not big enough. I live in a golf course that began in the 60's and the lots were lease hold lot to build cabins on. Ours is 80' x100' and we have a 2800 sq ft. house. So the sides and front and back yard space ranges from 7' to 15'. We have been here for 20 years so I'm mostly out of space. I have been rearranging for the last few years and I think I'm just about down. Now it will be maintenance only. The picture is of the golf course border.

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

We had a big hare when I was a kid in Connecticut and he stayed in a hutch outdoors all winter with no adverse effects. He had an enclosed nest area in the rear of the hutch and then the front part was the open cage part. The breeder kept all of his outside as well. We had to get up before school in the winter and go break the ice out of his water bowl to give him fresh and feed him as well--had to refill the birdfeeders in the morning too. My mom sure was mean:lol:

This photo is my front flower bed at my apt.
It's about 10 ft long by 3 ft deep. I have a big container to the left with bulbs, dahlia's and vines in it and some other containers around the base of it. On the right side the bed runs into the side yard/grass and I've dug up around that corner and planted daffs and canna--plus I have another large/tall container of lilies in it.

This message was edited Feb 23, 2009 6:54 PM

Thumbnail by dmac085
Frankfort, KY(Zone 6a)

Oh yes the rabbits have thick fur to keep them warm (they suffer more in the summer)....The water bottles I have for them has a metal tube that goes into the cage and they lick the water from it. The metal freezes very quickly and no water. So the bowls work well when it's freezing.
Here they are inside the GH....Very Happy

Thumbnail by rentman
Milwaukee, WI

well here we go The house I live in I have a 1/4 acre with house garage driveway and not enough garden space. Then I take care of the yard and gardens on my rental property wich is less tha a 1/4 acre with house and garage and driveway. Then the inlaws have 3 acres and they let me garden on 1.5 acres of it.So in the summer am very busy between the 3 properties. But thats what keeps me going.Want to try and sell at farmers market this year. Th e picture shows how close the houses are together.(this is the house I live in the white one). dont have a summer pic but gives you an ida. Also need some advice on trimming my wild wiesteria that still hasnt bloomed after 4 yrs. Maybe ground level pruning this year lol.

Thumbnail by Artwestallis
(Judith) Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

rentman, you raise them for dinner?? Nothing better than a good rabbit stew! lol

willowwind, great garden, great setting.

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

We have 10 acres mostly steep hills with mixed hardwood forest and about 2 acres of pasture in front of the house. We have planted thousands of daffodils - early, mid and late season - on the property and here are some out front.

Thumbnail by cedar18

Thanks for the explanation, rentman. Doesn't look like many meals in those cages, though.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

About 10 years ago we downsized from 120 acres row crop farming moved and now have been on 25 acres.

About 3 acres are in garden beds for daylilies and perennials. Another acre is for veggie growing. About a 1/2 acre is lanes and parking and buildings. About 5 is fenced pasture. Another rough 10 is semi wooded pasture/prairie ground and the rest is wooded. And a portion of that is bog.

Our ground here is very poor and is what is called a sand prairie, sand woodland, sand pond, railway prairie savanah. We have a very unusual ecosystem here which is being hampered by progress and ignorant caretakers of ground nextdoor. ours is a very fragile system which is a shame that there are people in the world that really think the land as worthless and do not treat it for what it is worth. It is a host to some rare native plants and host to a wonderful array of wildlife.

The land will flood, but in 10 years of being here and studying it, we have lost a serious amount of ground water and I beleive the ecosystem has been damaged more than I even realize. It used to be a habitat for a family of hawks which no longer build their nest here anymore and the geese have increased heavily. The system is off balance.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

It's very nice that you are there to care for it Blossombuddy.

And Cedar18, how lovely! beautiful daffs!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Interesting , that the poll goes from "small city or suburban" straight to "one acre or more!" I feel like if I only had another 1/4 acre, I'd have oodles of gardens. One acre would feel huge! And I always thought everyone else had way more space than I did.

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

We have just under 1/2 acre, but supplement it with the gardens at church, it keeps us busy.

Richford, NY

We have 31 acres, about 27 of which is deep woods. Near the old farmhouse are the bare bones of an "old" garden, with lilacs and philadelphus and scope for imagination.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

I have 35 acres, primarily woodland. Rolling terrain criss-crossed with old logging trails, and a meandering creek. Natural beauty everywhere - trees (beech, oak, maple, poplar,...), mountain laurel, woodland natives (ferns, mayapples), and large white boulders. Back in 2001, turned 1 1/2 acres of the only low, swampy part into a pond. Minimal sunny areas - just the drainfield and small clearings around the house and pond. I've attempted to enhance some areas with gardening efforts - primary focus is near the house, a shady garden on the hillside between the house and the pond, along the part of the creek that can be seen from the driveway, and thousands of daffodils along one of the old logging trails (now dubbed the daffodil trail). Figure I'll run out of money before I run out of gardening room! Loads of fun, and learning a lot... terri

Thumbnail by aspenhill
Yonkers, NY(Zone 5b)

My "yard" is a totally bricked 19x22 area.
I manager to cram in LOTS of plants.
Everything is in containers. I usually average about 165 pots.

This shot was taken from my 2nd floor bedroom window.

Nancy

Thumbnail by gabagoo
Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Wow! Gorgeous!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Nancy-I am still amazed every time I see pics of your garden.

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

Wow Nancy, that is a wonderful space.

Kannapolis, NC

Terri: What a beautiful photo of the pond in winter. I love winter scenery and yours is to die for! How lucky you are to have so much property with different environments and trees. Wow!

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Ours is a city lot 60' x 100' with maybe an extra 20 feet of depth in front which is a city easement. I could have checked the last choice that it's not big enough for my gardens. I'm addicted to Hostas and running out of space fast.

Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

How's this one Hemophobic?

Thumbnail by gardener105
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Looks like everybody that is on Dave's has a nice garden. I posted my veggie garden early this morning, so now here is some of my flower gardens.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

We own a little over 5 acres, but from shelterbelt to shelterbelt it's actually about 8 acres that we groom. It's the dumbest thing, but that's the way the place was surveyed when we bought it. We figure we have use of nearly 8 acres, but only paid for 5. The other three acres are the 50 some feet inside the tree rows that the previous owner wanted to keep. If he was so attached to the trees, I certainly wish he would have taken care of them.

We do groom the entire area. Mowed, trimmed,etc. I have two veggie gardens. One that is about an acre (I haven't used that one since the kids grew up. Still trying to figure out what to do with it) And then I have a smaller dinner type veggie garden up close to the house where I now plant everything that DH and I eat in the summer.

I have many flower gardens all around too. I've got one flowerbed that has been the bane of my existence ever since I built it. I made it WAY too large and it's not manageable. The weeds have gotten the best of me and last year I resorted to spraying part of it with roundup. If it doesn't behave this year I'm going to tear it down and plant that area back to grass again. I'm tired of fighting with it.

I would take some photos, but my entire yard is still somewhere underneath numerous feet of snow, and I don't think I took any last year.

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

1.5 acres, and that's as much land I could take care of by myself.
I have a large veg/cutting garden, an orchard, a little woods & lots of grass. We get a lot of rainfall here, so it's not a hassle to water. Plus - I grow it as a crop: composting material.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.