SEEDS FOR NEWBIES #2

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

I think there are only like 50 days left the green is coming right???

Washington, IN(Zone 6a)

Oh Lord I hope so. It can't get here soon enough for me.!!!!! I hope that dumb ole groundhog doesn't see his shadow come the 2nd, and if he does I just might put him on my table for dinner.LOL

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Lets not take any chances lets just go get him now and we can put the recipe we use in the new cookbook!!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

lycodad - I'm not sure if this is the tomato you are looking for, but I found a Starfire tomato here: http://www.victoryseeds.com/catalog/vegetable/tomato/tomato.html
It is close to the bottom. Hope that is the right one :)

Oh, I also found this in the PlantFiles: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/30596/

This message was edited Jan 28, 2009 8:27 PM

Clifton, TX(Zone 8a)

Count me in. I have done a little trading but, don't have many seeds. I have 2 and a half acres to plant this spring and can use all the help I can get. I will send an envelope as instructed along with a few extra seeds I have to add to the pot for the other newbies. Thanks you so much for all your generosity. This is the best site ever!!!
Shelly

Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

Thanks for info Red. Also sent D-mail
Appreciate everyones help.

-Al-

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

oldmansdarlin that's a lot of planting you better get in all the swaps!!

Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

My garden is still getting whiter, and deeper. I'll gladly send this weather your way Arejay. I think it's time to get seeds, not plant them just yet. That's part of the fun.

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

OMG please please don't send it to me. Look at this I have enough. I call a truce.

Thumbnail by arejay59
Clifton, TX(Zone 8a)

My goodness arejay59, that is a lot of snow. I feel really guilty now. Just 2 days ago we had an ice storm (freezing rain all day & night) and I was complaining to no end about everything being frozen and white. The next morning it all melted away and was like 50 degrees by late afternoon. I've really forgotten what real snow looks like. I have no room to complain. When does all that stuff start melting for you? It is quite beautiful though.

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Oh gosh OMD it could be here until late April. It is beautiful though isn't it. As long as you don't have to shovel or walk in it.

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

Lol, all that snow. We had a small little ice storm and it got down to a bad ole 27. We thought we'd freeze to death, schools closed and everything. Thought I'd give ya'll something to laugh about while you were looking at all that snow. I think we saw a few patches of ice and thought the world would end. lol

By the way. I always worry that I"m not going to get on here fast enough to get all the questions answered, so I have a little helper bee. Robin (Arejay) said she would like to do something, so I gave her a job. I asked her to help me monitor the thread so if ya'll have a problem or need a question answered and I wasn't right on top of it, she can answer for me. I just don't want ya'll to have to wait a long time for your help.
Even tho I"m not on all the time I am steady working on the seeds getting them ready for you.
Oh yeah, Flowerfantasy is really helpful too. IN fact all you guys are super helpful to me and to the newbies. I keep getting d mails about how nice everyone on this thread is. So pat your nice selves on the back and please don't bump those wings. Don't let them get cold out in that snow either.

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Oh Lorraine the wings the would freeze right up in the snow and cold here. They would be garden statues.

Washington, IN(Zone 6a)

arejay how much snow have you all had anyway? We got a foot the other day and tonight the weather said we could get more by Mon and Tues of this next week. When is it ever going to give up? I actually got out today for the first time since last Sat . Didn't have as much trouble as I thouhgt I would LOL. Hey come to think about it do you have any ideas on how we could make that tough ole groundhog taste good?

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

oh flower it just keeps snowing . I posted a picture somewhere there just isn't anyplace else to put it. There is so much of it the banks are shoulder high from plowing it out of the way. the bird feeds some of them you can barely see. Im going out with the spray paint soon and paint flowers and spring birds on all the mounds and pretend its isnt really snow .

Thumbnail by arejay59
Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

The groundhog...lots of onion, garlic, or maybe we should coat it up and deep fry it like Paula would!!! then dip it in garlic butter.

Washington, IN(Zone 6a)

The recipe for fixing the Groundhog sounds DELICOUS !!!!! LOL
From the looks of that you will have snow on the ground til June LOL. We got a light dusting last night . Just stay safe and warm . It will all go away sooner or later and will probably be later LOL

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

The snow has gone to your headds and made you crazy. Your brains have frozen. lol At least you have an excuse, mine are gone and they didn't freeze, they just leaked out I guess. While I was sleeping.
Slow day today. Only one newbie packet.! Got yours Stella.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

It is chinooking here right now, and it is positively treacherous outside! It seems to me that the last time a chinook was forecast, the city quit shoveling snow and decided just to wait for it to melt. Well, that was weeks ago and the chinook came and went and came back again. Now it is brutal trying to navigate the ice. It's so FRUSTRATING! (Especially since I'm not that coordinated on ice to begin with lol!)

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

LOl.. You should see us TExans when we get a little ice. Just a little and we are homebound.!!! Slipping and sliding, never heard of chains adn all the schools close and we all stay indoors. Don't know what we'd do in really "winter weather"

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

chinooking, I like that word never heard it but I like it. Must me snow and ice ?
The snow had nothin to do with our nutty-ness we caught it somewhere.
If we didnt go out in the snow we would all be housebound six months of the year!!
Kids would never go to school.

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

Lol, I know , that's why it's so funny when 20 degree weather shuts us down. What if we really had winter?

Ames, NE(Zone 5b)

YAHOO I received NEWBIE package I was too busy thanking each of them on their member page.And checking each pack in plant files I did't get this posted last night. Thank you to everyone for your contributions and thanks Lorraine for your time & work doing this. I received 8 packs without senders name so I hope they reading this my thanks to them also.
It is going to be in the 50s today so I'll be working on new porch. It's 45 ft long (the length of house) with another 14 ft for enclosed porch 8 by 14 (mud room) Need that for the spring thaw. It is coming I hope.
I'm very lucky for someone who could't pick his self up a few years ago much less work on house. We just say it's our someday house (someday it will be done) LOL See ya all after dark.
~Tubby

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

If you really had winter Lorraine you would have to move to higher ground.

Machesney Park, IL

Thank you for offering free seeds to newbies, I am excited about this. I can send Hardy Hibiscus seeds if you can use them, that`s all I have now,but in the fall I will start collecting more different kinds for you, just have to learn how to get them from some flowers. I can`t wait to start working in my garden. winter does have me CRAZY!! I will send my envy Monday.

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

That is great Zinna donations are graciously accepted and encouraged. Newbies like you and me are so excited to get them. Or so it seems to me by the responses I get to the dmails.Hibiscus are wonderful I love and know many others that do. Not all of us even knew how to get those from the plant when we started. There is so much helpful information here that I am sure we will all of more seeds than we can count by fall.
Thank You and again welcome aboard!!
Robin

Ames, NE(Zone 5b)

Awhile back someone posted a link for free tomato seeds If ya know it send it to Moofieoo she will appreciate it The gray matter up there between my ears is thick today Don;t ya just hate that..Not sure where I seen it

~Tubby

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

free tomato seeds.. www.wintersown.org

Ames, NE(Zone 5b)

Thank you arejaj59 Your on the ball !!

Tubby

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Here is a link for free oat grass seeds:

http://www.poopsiecat.com/sample.html

Ames, NE(Zone 5b)

What we all need poopsie grass to funny LOL
~Tubby

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

My daughter's three cats thank you!
Bonnie

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

Hi guys. Welcome Libby!!! What Arejay said. lol She's the trusty sidekick, so whatever she says goes! lol
I wouldn't know what to do if we really had winter. Probably freeze to death!
Migsht be out of pocket later. Going to a super bowl thing tonight, so will probably be offline. But then again, since Dallas isn't playing, I won't be all that interested. Like they've been there for a long time. You know how long it's been since I've watched a super bowl game. lol

Ames, NE(Zone 5b)

We have 3 cats out side They think my shop is their DOMAIN They are always knocking things down urrg
But they do earn their keep On the plus side they don't eat my pigeon's TG
Curious to see if they will be interested in the poopsie grass They'll probably get high on it LOL

~Tubby

Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

Glad I found you folks, got lost (again) for a little while. You people have got more links than a tow chain.

Lorraine - I left you a post, might be able to help you out some
Robin - You're a real whiz at navigating this
Red - Thanks much for your valued help

I'll have to check in later, got plans for today.

Al

This message was edited Feb 1, 2009 2:57 PM

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Hopefully that grass is good! I haven't sent away my envie yet, but we will see :)

Ames, NE(Zone 5b)

Help...I received a pack of ..Double Purple Datura..Looked in plant files still not sure if they are okay for
zone 5b. Don't want to waste them..LMK
~Tubby

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Im going to plant them and I am in Zone 5

Ames, NE(Zone 5b)

Thanks RJ59 Hee HEE It's just to hard not to be ornery

This message was edited Feb 1, 2009 8:01 PM

Iowa Park, TX(Zone 7b)

My seeds came (I'm a newbie) and I want to thank LorrainneR for sorting and sending them out, and say thank you to everyone who contributed the seed. You all are very generous and I appreciate it very much. I will be packaging up some of my seed to donate as well (now that I see how everyone does that - packages and labels the seeds for mailing.) I'm looking forward to spring and planting the new seed! (We need some rain so if any of you are getting too much, please send it to Texas (lol).

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.