SEEDS FOR NEWBIES #2

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

THIS IS CLOSED, PLEASE GO HERE http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/949552/
FOR A NEW THREAD.

We already need a new thread. Lots of us dial uppers are suffering slow computer itis. We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/919799/#new

Hi, some of us "oldies" would like to share our seeds with those of you new to Daves. By new, we mean you joined in the last 8 months and are a paying member.

Here's the deal. Send me a SASBE (Self addressed, stamped bubble envelope) and we'll send you 10 packets of seeds. (Usually more, depends on our stash) That's all there is to it. Of course you'll need to let us know you are sending your envy. lol You will get a good variety of good seeds.

Send 5 stamps and a label with your name on it.
4 of the stamps will go back on your return envy, the extra will go into the "pot" I don't use it for personal use, but it helps when some mail comes with postage due and when the "oldies" send boxes of seeds sometimes there is postage due.
Best thing to do is just send me an empty bubble envy with your label and stamps inside. I can use that same envy to send your seeds back. Saves that envy!!
Also, if you will scotch tape the envy to send to me, I can use the self adhesive and won't destroy your envy pulling them open when I get them. That stuff is "tuff" and I end up with mangled envy's going back to you

Please make sure you put enough stamps on your envelope you send to me. I've just gotten some with postage due. Don't know why one is 84 cents and another is $1.00. Specially when same size envy. PO told me because they are from diff zones. An empty bubble envy is at least 84 cents, so two stamps. If you are sending seeds, it's more of course. I always pay the extra but it does add up.

PLEASE INCLUDE YOUR D MAIL NAME WITH YOUR ENVY.

I am in the address exchange, so you know where to send the envy. If you can't find it, just d mail and I'll shoot it right to you. At the top of your home page, you'll see the link "EXTRA'S" ,Go into that link, scroll down and you'll see the address exchange

Oldies! lol If you would like to donate seeds, it would be great.!! I know how much I loved it when I was new and someone sent me seeds to get me started. Now I want to pay it forward and maybe you would too.

For those of you who would like to help the newbies, but just don't have a lot of seed, if you would like to trade for seeds, that is great as well. Send seeds for the newbies and I will send you the same amount back

I hope ;to be able to get your seeds back the day after I get your envy, but if I'm waiting on seeds or something, I will let you know!! Right now, I don't see any problems. People are still generous here at Dave's. lol

If you will, please give me an idea of the kinds of seeds you can use and like. I'd hate to send stuff that needs shade if you have only sun, and vice versa. We all have our flower and plant personality, so let me know yours. Can't promise you will only get a certain type, but will sure try to get as close as I can.

This message was edited Jan 27, 2009 8:47 AM

This message was edited Feb 5, 2009 12:06 PM

Thumbnail by LorraineR
Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

thanks for the new thread... even on high speed, it was starting to get sluggish.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Yay new thread :) At least there is a "Skip to New" button which is helpful. I hate trying to find posts in a thread when I am not positive where I left off.

Washington, IN(Zone 6a)

Well I got here ok I know I am not a newbie anymore but still like to follow the thread.

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

Lorraine,
Girl you must be busy, running this trade and the BF, Humminbird, Piggy trade!!

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

It's busy, but fun. I was always a workaholic, so when I couldn't work anymore, I missed the busy work, so this fills a gap and makes me feel like I'm doing something useful.!! I know I love getting seeds and stuff in the mail, so I like knowing other people are having fun too.
The piggy trade will kind of run itself. LOL The participants are doing all the work. I just have to show up and fill envy's when they come. Then is when I'll want to shoot myself.!! But it's fun.
Been making candy today tho. Bad Lorraine.

I' glad all you "kinda newbies" are still around. You can help the newbies with questions cause you've already gotten yours, and I like knowing all our "donating angels" are here. YOu get to see how happy people are to get your seeds.

Backus, MN

Lorraine,
No need to send any seeds if I am the Linda. I probably used a SABE because that is what I had in my drawer at the time and was too lazy to cover the mailing label. I don't think I included any return postage, and do not want you to go to any expense.....in fact I just needed to get rid of some seeds. I still have too many!! My 14 year old grandson says "Grandma, you're a nut." When he sees all the seeds I have. (but he still likes to look through them - second generation acorn!)

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

LOL. I know about those "seed loving" grandkids.!!! Got some myself. The 7 year old comes in and just shakes his head. "Nanny,can you move these so I can sit down?" he he.
I have 3 year old twin grandsons who have planted every spare space they can find. They sneak them when I'm not looking, sneak a few and plant everywhere. When I catch them it's "It be purdy Nanny"

ummmm, Candy....fudge?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I want to learn to make candy :) I made toffee and fudge this year, but I would like to expand my horizons... My aunt makes chocolates every year :D

Washington, IN(Zone 6a)

I can make an easy fudge but that is my limit on the candy making. My Daughter-in-law makes the best buckeyes you ever put in your mouth and I tried them one year and you talk about a mess LOL I made one !!!!

This message was edited Dec 17, 2008 12:18 AM

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

The main ones I make are the peanut butter balls and Martha Washington's. Got some good white choc fudge, but usually start with the other two. They seem to have gravitated to those two and the pumpkin rolls. Swore I wasn't doing it this year,but here I am and I'll start dipping chocolate like crazy.

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

Hey, just wanted to thank Robin.! She's been going into the "newbie" list on the home page and d mailing newbies giving them the link here so they can send for their free seeds. (Oops, another angel got their wings.) lol Didn't you hear that tinkling sound.?

Morgantown, WV(Zone 6a)

Okay I sent my envelope.....Got the message yesterday and mailed the stuff today. JUST wanted yall to know I am normally NOT that good at following through so timely!! :)

Thanks in advance, yall are sweet!

Heather

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

Will be looking for your envy. Congrats on being prompt. lol Join the rest of us who think we have to leave things laying around 2 or 3 days before we mail things out!! lol
So far I've been on the ball with the newbie stuff. Patting myself on the back!! lol

Cleveland Heights, OH(Zone 5b)

Hey Lorraine...you gonna send some of that candy up north? I sent you a dmail :)

Toni

Salem, OR

Lorraine, thanks for the great seeds,it was so fun to come home from work and find them in my mailbox!!! I'm going to have even more fun watching them grow!!!!

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

Cool. Glad you got them and like them.!!! Now the hard part begins. Getting them to grow! lol
Toni, going to read your d mail. Haven't been there yet. Lazy, lazy.

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

Hi Linda. Sending you a d mail too. I mailed your packet and must have forgotten to put your label on it cause it came back. I didn't realize what it was and opened it. There were alll these seeds I recognized , lol
Anyway, ready to go again.!! I'll mail tomorrow. Just didn't want you to worry.

I also have your envy Mark and Arlene, yours are going out in the morning as well.
Merry Christmas everyone. After the first of the year, there will be lots of "newbies" ready to get those seeds going. I'll be ready!! (Well, I"ll never be totally ready folr anything, but as ready as I get.)

(Arlene) Lakeland, FL(Zone 9a)

I'm glad you receive the envy. As of Dec 24th I will be on a 2 week vacation and I can't wait to get them here so I will get busy sowing some seeds for this spring. Yipee!

Happy Holidays Everyone!

Paradise, CA(Zone 9a)

Hi Lorraine,
Sent you an email to get your address. Thanks so much for the seed offer!

Cindy

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

Hey Arlene, I hope they get to you before youleave. Fingers crossed.
Well, I probably gained about 50 pounds the last few days, how bout ya'll. For some reason everyone thought I needed to eat this year, candy and more candy. Trying to decide whether to thow it all out (what's left, he he), or put it in the bottom of the freezer so I can dig it out when I'm depressed and need the chocolate fix.!! lol
I can find all kinds of reasons to eat choc.

Bixby, OK(Zone 7a)

Hi Lorraine and Everyone!
I am new to Dave's Garden and I joined because of the rave reviews that my Mother-in-Law is constantly telling me! I am very excited to be here and I will be sending my SASBE when I get back home to Oklahoma tomorrow (we are in Texas presently for the holidays).

Again thanks everyone and if you have any advice on getting started (total newbie) I would love to hear from you.

Amie

(Arlene) Lakeland, FL(Zone 9a)

Lorraine I am taking two weeks off but staying home there not much $$$ lately to go on vacation so I keep myself busy with the seeds.

Hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas day.

I received the seeds today and I am so excited. Thank you to everyone who participated on sending this wonderful variety of flowers for the newbies. Well off I go to prepare several containers. Yaaay!

This message was edited Dec 26, 2008 1:53 PM

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

Nothin keeps you occupied like a bunch of seeds. And there are so many great people here, you are very rarely out of seeds. !!!
Amie, looking forward to your envy,will try to get some things you like.
If you are looking for anything,or just hnave an idea of the kinds of things you'd like. Just put a little note in with your envy.!

You willhave brain overload after a little while on Dave's. So many places, so much info, poor little brains can't handle it all.!! Just jump right in and ask questions. Remember, everyone started sometime, so are anxious to share the knowledge.!!

(Chris) Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

Hi Lorraine! I was going over the packets of seeds that you sent me (again..is it spring yet???) and there's one in there that I can't find info on. It's marked as "Malamar Spinach" which of course made DH make a face LOL... I told him NO, it's not THAT spinach. But I can't pull it up in the Plant Files under that name.. do you happen to know what other name I can find it under? I don't think he'll believe me until I can show him a picture :)

thanks again for doing this.. how in the world do you find time?? :)
Chris

Slidell, LA(Zone 8b)

Hey Chris - I may be wrong but I believe it is malaBar spinach

Thank you!! You're right about the name.. the name is misspelled on the packet :) I found it in the Plant Files and I now know exactly where this vine will be planted in the spring.. can't wait!
(But DH still says he won't eat the leaves LOL)

Chris

Has anyone heard from Lorraine? I hope she's doing ok.. it's kinda strange to have her absent like this.

Chris

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Chris.... well, it is a weekend, and it's been less than 48 hrs. I'd say if she doesn't post by sometime tomorrow ... we can start a search to see if anyone has contact info for her.

Terese

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Chris... i also found 2 other threads where folks were worried about her. I found a phone number and left a message. Hopefully - it was her number and she will pop in when she gets a chance.

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

Hey guys. Thank ya'll for being concerned about me. You don';t kjnow how much it means!!! I'm afraid I was in a real funk over Christmas, so Maggie came and kidnapped me and took me to her house for the weekend. It was good for me, but I"m sorry Ididn't stay in touch. Can't believe ya'll cared enough to check on me.
The house you called was my daughter who lives in front of me and she couldn't believe people from the internet were worried about me. I was very proud that you did, so told her it was my Dave's family!! lol

Yep, I hit the wrong key when making the packets. Tell your husband it is a really pretty vine and he doesn't have to eat itl lol However I did try it and I don't like spinach, but it was very tasty!!! The foliage has dark green leaves with purple around the edges and it really makes a salad pretty.!!! You can tell people you've been reduced to eating your plants to save money so you can buy more.!!! We gotta justify all the money we spend somehow! lol

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Glad to have you back.
Robin

Morgantown, WV(Zone 6a)

Yall I am back from our Holiday Travels....we had the mail held till tomorrow just in case the seeds came in before we got back.

Lorraine glad you were 'only' kidnapped! :)

Hope yall had Merry Christmas and all.

Washington, IN(Zone 6a)

Girl you were scaring the crap out of us But so glad it was only a kidnapping LOL Good to have you back !!!!!!!!!!!!

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

I still can't get over the fact ya'll missed me.!!! I feel loved!!! Or liked anyway. lol
Been working on getting seeds in little packets today. Got over 100 done.!!! So, have some new stuff to send out.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Lorraine .... back to you being 'kidnapped' and all... there is a thread in Parking Lot [i think] about finding 'lost' peeps... that is one place i went to "look for you" and the consensus is.... [lemme get the snippet]

here's the thread http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/828618/

Quoting:
Each person should go to MY TOOLS, on the right side of that page click MEMBER PAGE. If you scroll down you will have a block to put info you would like others to know.

I think everyone should add who has their contact info... just in case.

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

That's a really good idea. Let's do it. I'm headed over to do mine now.!!

Washington, IN(Zone 6a)

I got to where you said but I couldn't get anything to change on mine.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.