SEEDS FOR NEWBIES #2

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

from your "My Preferences" page
http://davesgarden.com/tools/prefs/preferences.php .... in the right had side bar... scroll down to the 6th one, in the Preference Tools.... it says member page. when that page opens,this is where you can add all sorts of info about you... but the very last one is an 'open box' where you can type anything in... that is where you can put it.

the gal shistzumom, who was walking me thru it... this is the way her's is
"If I am missing from Daves you can contact ....... They all have my phone & email address. "

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

I put my info in. More than anyone needs to know. lol Put your name under "Daves Contacts" ^_^

Williamstown, South , Australia

Hi, thankyou for the welcome offer of free seeds but I must decline. Being in Australia there might be quarantine matters which would stop the seeds getting through. My stamps would not be much good for postage from the USA. Might be good for stamp collectors though.

Bellefonte, PA(Zone 5b)

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Did I say Happy New Year!! If not really Happy New Year!!
Robin

Thumbnail by arejay59
Morgantown, WV(Zone 6a)

Happy New Years..............for some reason us Southerns add the 's' on the phrase! :)

I am looking at snow and deciding that all things planted in Spring need to have Winter interest or consideration.

How are yall?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Happy New Year everyone! I just got back home today and found a package of seeds in my box :D Thanks so much to Lorraine and all of the seed donors! I look forward to getting them planted and enjoying them for years to come.

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

Glad your seeds made it. Took a while tho. I sent a couple weeks ago, I think.
I love knowing where all my seeds and plants came from. I try to put little markers by things I get from everyone so I know where they came from. I do that most of the time, but I know some didn't get done.

Happy one day late New Years. Now what's our resolutions? You know the ones we're gonna break after 30 minutes. Mine is that I will actually have my flower beds ready when it's time to plant. !!! Ain't gonna happen!

Cynthia, Dorsey, and Cynthia, got your envy's today. Will get them out to you tomorrow!!!

Hi Heny. This weather thing is just weird. It's almost 80 here today.!!! I agree about the winter interest.! My place is a tropical jungle during spring and summer, but soon as winter comes, I want to move. lol Gotta get enough evergreens in the mix to keep it looking nice in winter.

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Oh Lorraine I love to see new people get seeds it always makes them soooo happy.
Robin
PS I will send you more shortly for the newbies Lorraine I have been so busy recruiting them that I forget to package them up. But I will promise.

Morgantown, WV(Zone 6a)

I GOT MY SEEDS TODAY!!!

Thanks so much yall..........researching now and printing to see what they are gonna look like, how tall, etc........almost like expecting a baby!! :)

Anyway Thanks!!

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Yes Heny girl you are right. Its almost better they do'nt cry or wear diapers.
Robin

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

And don't forget about that feeling that an 18 wheeler went through your stomach. lol Seeds are better. Although sometimes I think they are about as much trouble!! Some of them are mean as snakes and refuse to grow.!!!! But they are proof that it's the little things that make us happy.
Glad yougot your seeds Heny. I hope there are some you will be excited about when you see what they look like. ^_^

Trenton(close to), TX(Zone 8a)

I would like to sneak in as a newbie. I had a 2 month membership about a year ago but I had a problem and couldn't continue. I just paid a yearly membership a week or so ago. The I was a "Good Boy Award. I hate to ask but do I qualify as a newbie member? I guess I didn't hate asking that bad.

(Chris) Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

Wildcat, that's too funny! "I guess I didn't hate asking that bad." You never know unless you ask, right??

I'm betting that Lorraine will let you qualify.
But if she didn't, I'm pretty sure you could get the sympathy thing going amongst the rest of us and we'd overload you with seeds LOL

Welcome to the newbie club :)
Chris

Portland, OR(Zone 8a)

Robin, please return my cat. ^_^

Thumbnail by MichaelZ
Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Hey How did you get my cat?
Robin

Thumbnail by arejay59
Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

Hey Wildcat. I think you 'll qualify just fine. I think you'll find we're pretty easy to get along with!!! Just get your envy in and I'll try and load you down. WE have "lots of generous "oldies" here that have been keeping me supplied with seeds, so I have lots of good stuff right now.
I"ve spent the weekend painting my kitchen cabinets, so haven't been on as mujch as usual. I'll send ya'll an after picture. (That is if I don't have to burn the place down caujse I mess it up so bad) lol

Kerhonkson, NY(Zone 5a)

I am overrun with seeds and not enough time to plant them -- I'm sending them to you for the newbies ... what's the Albania in your address though???

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

Thank you so much !!!! I'll find them good homes. Been getting at least a couple envy's a day, sometimes more. So seeds are always needed.

I don't know what the Albania is there for, but I gotta go fix it. Not sure how, but every one asks me and I intend to take it off, then get sidetracked. I guess I hit a wrong key or something.!!!

Got some neat seeds from Antoinine today. Yah!!!! Thanks girl., already got some in someone's envy's ready to go.!!!

Ya'll please don't kill me if I'm missing for a few hours at a time. I'm here, I'm just PAINTING. I've let the paint monster take over. Started out painting just the cabinets in the kitchen, then that made the walls look bad, so started on them. Now the hallway is looking like it needs paint. And when I went into the bathroom to wash kitchen paint off, I noticed it could use a coat. SOMEONE STOP ME. HELP!!!

Trenton(close to), TX(Zone 8a)

I have quite a few cherokee rose seeds that I gathered in January 08 that I would like to send. Should I just put them the envy in one baggie???? I had great success germinating these seeds last Feburary, 27 out of 40 seeds sprouted. No special seed treatement, of course they were right off the bush, just potting soil in 2 stryo cups from Sonic with the lid on to keep em moist. They started sprouting after three weeks and continued sprouting for 2 or 3 more weeks. The cherry limeaid was great also. I now have a bunch of small Cherokee rose plants needing TLC.

Morgantown, WV(Zone 6a)

Okay I hope all of you that donated seeds arent gonna be mad at me. But here is your seeds 'new' home. I am trying out the winter sowing concept....I did save a few of the seeds, just in case.

I actually have lids that I will place on top for alittle extra protection but my hubby needs to drill the holes first.

So they are all in their individual homes and snuggled together in the tubs.

This message was edited Jan 6, 2009 3:18 PM

Thumbnail by Henygirl
Portland, OR(Zone 8a)

Lorraine, when you run out of surfaces to paint let me know. I'll pay for the plane ticket and even a new paint brush. ^_^ Z

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Lorraine,
When you are are done at Z's house let me know. You can just reroute to do mine. I have a new kitchen coming.

Heck, Lorraine should stop at MY place first, since I'm the closest to her between the 3 of us :)

Heny, good luck with the WS! I'm going to try it also, but will wait another week or two before starting since I'm zone 7. I've already got small leaves on my climbing rose, the silly thing! It's too dang early for that, but I can't convince it otherwise :) Course, this is the same plant that DH has thrown away twice now and it grew in both places and is now thriving in the last spot he put it LOL..

I've got a picture somewhere of it blooming.. I'll find it and upload it in the next couple of days

Chris

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

Gee, a new c areer! Just what I need. Course you better wait till you see my paint job!!!! You'll probably change your mind. But a new paint brush sounds pretty good.! lol I am steadily moving to other places. Picked out paint for the bathroom today.!! Well, my daughter did. She's one of these people that can pick out all the colors I wouldn't think of, but then when it's done, it's great.!!!
Here's a pic of the kitchen so far. Don't look at the mess, just the walls and cabinets. I would never think of that blue, but I love it. Still got another coat of white to do and who knows, I might actually wash dishes and clean off the counters. but don't hold your breath. lol
Wildcat, just send them in one baggy and I'll put them in packets if you like. Maybe send me something telling me what it needs, sun, shade, annual perennial, etc. So I don't have to look it up. lol Yes, lazy is my middle name.
I'm sure the newbies would love some of those. Something different.

Looks great heny. I'm starting to get some winter sowing done. You'll be surprised at how well they will do. You'll probably have tons more than you need.!!!

Thumbnail by LorraineR
Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

Chris,that's too funny about the plant. Isn't that the way it always goes. If you don't need it , it won't die, and if it's one you just gotta have, it kicks the ole bucket.!!

If ya'll haven't found it, you might want to go to Wintersown.org and check them out. (They will also send you6 free packs of seeds for a sase. They have a pretty good list of what will winter sow well in each zone. Tom Clothier.com does too.

Wildomar, CA(Zone 9a)

Hello all!

What a nice welcome I have received! This community looks awesome and I am looking forward to participating as much as my work schedule and family life allows. I have been vegetable gardening for about 25 years now and am eager to get this year's garden started in a couple of weeks here. I am going to try something new this year as I am planning on ordering a few of Bocabob's Grow Bags and see how those work for me. They look pretty cool.

Ok I have to get ready for work now but look forward to hanging out here a lot more as time allows.

Thanks again!
~Rose :)

This message was edited Jan 7, 2009 9:22 AM

This message was edited Jan 7, 2009 9:22 AM

Littleton, CO

Thanks for the warm welcome. I don't have much experience with seeds. I started gardening after an accident forced me to retire, and I got distracted by roses and perennials. I'll be glad to give some a try and will send an envy, etc.

New Milford, CT

Hi, I'm about to send you an envelope for some seeds! As a raw amateur, I'm looking forward to maybe sort of growing some things. :-)

Thanks so much!

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Plant them and they will grow!!:)

Lorraine, that's exactly how it goes!! And after all the seeds you sent me as a newbie, there's NO WAY I need more seeds.. this year at least LOL.. After I see how many I kill off this summer, I may change my mind :)
I've been lurking on the WS thread for awhile and I'm about ready to take the plunge.. I hate putting seeds in the ground and then plucking them cause I think they're weeds :( Yes, I admit it.. I'm a sorry plucker LOL

Robin.. my garden motto is "Grow Or Die".. DH is making me a sign this year of that :)~

Welcome to the new people.. love the name CrabgrassCentrl.. but you need to tell us your real first name.. I can't bring myself to say "hi Crab!" LOL!!!!

gotta run.. have a great evening
Chris

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Your kitchen is looking great Lorraine! I wish I could paint my walls. I am just renting, and the walls are just boring white. There were tons of nail holes in the walls that I fixed, but I would LOVE to paint :)

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks ! I've moved on to the bathroom now. lol Still got more to do in; the kitchen, but i get bored easy, so I'll have all these almost done rooms. !!!

Glad all you "new guys" are here. Welcome and I look forward to getting your envy. Add a little note with some of the things you would like, and other things like sun or shade, etc. I want to get stuff to you that you will be able to use. ^_^

Go ahead and take the winter sowing plunge!!! It's fun and you'll be surprised how much will come up! I sure was. There isn't much you can't wintersow, I found out. I'v e still got lots of stuff to get done, but doesn't look like we're gonna get a winter here. 35 one day 78 the next. Good ole Texas weather! Just like Texas, can't make up it's mind.
I know what you mean about pulling up "weeds" If I had a nickel for every "weed" I pulled up not realizing it was a plant I really wanted. lol Also, can't tell you how many actual weeds I let grow cause I didn't know it was a weed.
Trials and tribulations!
We need to write a book. "All the trials and tribulations of an avid gardener"
Or in my case. "Gardening for dummies"

Mine would be more like "Gardening WITH the dummy" LOL

Washington, IN(Zone 6a)

CC I think your title would work for all of us LOL. Especially me.

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

LOL, I like the gardening with the dummy. Here's the first entry.

When you are winter sowing, and put everything outside for the winter. Be sure to put labels on the containers so you iknow what the heck they are when they start coming up! (Yep did about 10 jugs that way. No name anywhere on them) lol

Morgantown, WV(Zone 6a)

Lorraine, that could be you 'quiz' for us newbies.........Name that Sprig!! :)

BTW, I will keep score for the game! ;)

New Milford, CT

" love the name CrabgrassCentrl.. but you need to tell us your real first name.. I can't bring myself to say "hi Crab!" LOL!!!!"

Well, I'm Mary, but I'm kinda amused by also being Crabby! Call me whatever you want!

Lorraine, I already put the envy in the mail without any note about what I want, it didn't occur to me that I could choose because this is so generous, it seemed to be bad form.

If you get my envy and remember, I guess I'd like a little of everything: Full sun, full shade and sun/shade. I got a lotta beds I want to fill! But if you don't remember this post, it's OK because I'll be grateful no matter what I get. I can always find a spot...

Thanks again everyone!

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

lol I'll work it out. Don't think I'll forget you with your crabby name.!! One good thing about an unusual name. One of my grandson's called me crabby the other day and it wasn't a nice crabby! lol

Hey, name that sprig wouldn't help me. I let them grow into trees before I give up and figure they are a weed. Last year I had this stuff growing in one of the beds and I let it keep growing to see what it was. One day I was out there and it had peppers all over it. Guess hot pepper seeds had gotten "transferred" there. So, growing in my flower garden was hot pepper. lol Course that was the least of my worries. The twins got hold of seeds and I had stuff coming up everywhere. Sunflowers with the brugs, salvia with pumpkins, etc. Good thing they are so cute (the twins)

Washington, IN(Zone 6a)

Lorraine I think your going to have to hide your seed somewhere or your going to have a yard full of stuf you didn't plant LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.