It does not frost here
(39 votes, 7%)
Red dot

I live in the Southern Hemisphere and it is now summer
(14 votes, 2%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Fayetteville, AR(Zone 7b)

So I had frost last night and the night before that, which is early for us. "this week" or "last week" wasn't an option so I put a couple of weeks ago. ^_^

(Pegi) Norwalk, CA(Zone 10b)

We never get frost, well I shouldn't say never because a few years ago we got so cold here I lost some of my plants. If the weatherman warns of very cold nights again I will be sure to protect my flowers. Still so hot here, wondering if our winter will ever come.

Ellijay, Georgia, United States

First frost here today, 10/30/2008. Early by about a week. Ellijay, Ga (north part of Zone 7, elevation 1800 +/- msl

Welcome trees4me; we are a friendly group of gardeners. Hope you enjoy the journey; DG is addictive. We have many different discussion groups and no end of wonderful topics and wonderful friends you can meet here!

Hornick, IA(Zone 4b)

Right on. Aunt_A!
Listen to her trees4me. Or we will yank your chain until you have to respond. LOL
We have had a couple night where it frosted. The third one was down in the lower 20s. Last night was in the 40s. and today we were in the upper 60s
My veggie garden is done for the year but that is alright as I was giving away plenty more than we could use.
Now I have some cannas and EEs to dig up and store the bulbs for the winter.
Now just pay some bills and take a trip, or two, Sounds like work Huh?
Russ.

Cramlington, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Just after I'd voted no frost for another month we had frost the next day..!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

No frost here for me, but my neighbors have got it! What's my secret?

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Lily_love you're probably in a slightly warmer micro climate than your neighbor. This can happen just from having trees or a slight difference in elevation. Any number of small things can affect when things happen in your garden.

MollyD

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

MollyD, bingo. The microclimate makes differences. Plus, I'm located near a lake. The water-vapor buffers the actual temp. by 4-6 degrees, thus we dodged the frost neighboring areas are getting.

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Lily_love do you find the opposite is true in the spring? I'm at a higher altitude than our city. They get frost earlier than I do up here but I have snow later in the spring than they do. Things bloom earlier down there too.

MollyD

McKinney, TX(Zone 8a)

Came Monday night, but thermometer only got down to 34 here. About 6 miles across town at the airport it got down to 28 though. Glad it did not get that cold in my yard. My 2 volunteer roma tomato plants are covered with at least 30 tomatoes, from teeny tiny to over 3 inches. All green except 1 pinkish and one already picked. I am hoping for a few more weeks of mild weather so I can let them ripen on the vine more.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Molly, in the spring this year. I got my spring garden started out on 3rd week of April. So yes, the growing season is extended here with the microclimate we've.

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

You're lucky! Mine was shorten by almost 30 days this year when June stayed cold and wet.

MollyD

(Pegi) Norwalk, CA(Zone 10b)

Still very warm, but last night got a little rain. It was so welcomed, but just not enough to make all the plants happy.

Phoenix, AZ

It seems strange to tell you all that we expect frost/freeze (even). We range from 110 degrees to 25 degrees or less. Makes choosing your plantings a little tough. Late Dec. January is a tough, touchy time. Last two years have been difficult. Cactus seem to do OKAY through these changes. Hibiscus can survive from the root, mature citrus is fine, succulents are iffy at best. We grown plumaria, oh various stuff and plants survive if we have fans, blankets, heat blankets, shade, more shade and water and individual microclimates.

Shangshui, Henan, China(Zone 7b)

Not yet, but very soon.

south central, WI(Zone 5a)

~~~~~~~~~ Waving hi, have voted before, but never checked on look at what folks are saying...glad that I looked.
We had some light frosts and one killing frost. Now a stint of warmer days, much needed as I am more behind than usual. Doing cleanup and then storing the plants. Will try to empty out the garage that has never held a car! We had over 100" of snow last year-record that I don't want to repeat. Would like to be able to squeeze a car in just in case.
Beautiful fall colors still hanging around on the maples and oaks and burning bushes and blackhaw viburnum and...I am grateful that Mother Nature has held back this autumn season. ^_^

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Ma Nature is going crazy here. Last week snow (almost 2 ft in the Catskills) and now they tell us record warmth coming with 70's heading our way!!!!! Sheesh!!!

MollyD

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

It's gonna be another wierd winter. A kiss of a light frost, then warm, then a killing frost, now 70 is in the forecast. All you can do is prepare for the worst. I've got some really confused koi.

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Had a killing frost last night which the weather people didn't warn us about! They were too busy telling us about the warming trend headed this way for this week :-)

MollyD

Thunder Bay Ontario, ON(Zone 3a)

^_^ we're having 'chubby rain here in Northern Canada .. am hoping it doesn't turn into 'chubby' AND 'white' !!!!

~M~

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

LOL I've never heard it called that before but I like it! We usually just say slush!

MollyD

^_^ for some 'odd reason' .. chubby rain works better than slush/sleet LoL

~M~

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Sounds way more appealing! LOL

MollyD

Now we have a temp increase and .. HUMIDITY !! Weather is just such an inexact science !!!

^_^

~M~

This message was edited Nov 2, 2008 9:23 PM

Shepherd, MT

Red Lodge, Mt which is 30 min from me had 45 inches of snow while I got well over a foot

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Well...........we had a cool front come in and it was a beautiful day of only 80 degrees in south texas..........tonight it is getting down to 56 degrees..............ready for some cooler weather.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Here, we haven't got our initial frost yet. Though, neighboring areas did.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I have this to say about that (snort)

Thumbnail by dahlianut
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

DN, ooooh winter arrived so early there! We still haven't got our first frost yet. We'd ever be so lucky to any any snow flurries in Christmas. If ever any would be in Feb. or some years later....

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

dahlianut that's how it looked here this morning! All melted by late afternoon but still....yuk!

MollyD

Fresno, CA(Zone 9b)

Eeeeeek, you Northerners! I cannot even imagine living in such surroundings day in and day out. It's lovely, but so co-o-o-o-o-ld, brrrrrrrr.

Dahlianut, your snort in the face of gessiegail's 80-56 degrees (26.6-13.3 celsius) made me LOL so hard my "main man" (70 pound ie. 5 stone [?] poodle) bolted over here to find out what was going on. What a hoot!

brrrrrrr rrrrr rrr

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Twincol it gets worse before it gets better. This was just a teaser for winter snows. We average 100" each winter.

MollyD

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

and I want your snow MollyD so much. It's too dry here. Still working on the climate transporter. More later on this.

Dahlianut
aka Rocket Scientist

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

dahlianut I would gladly send you 60% of what we get if you can figure out how to do it!

;-)

MollyD

Staten Island, NY(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the welcomes~s'rry took so long to get back. Been frosty on and off. Climate confusion has led to a lot of fog. Put some of that snow on layaway for me please! : ) At least you can catch snowflakes w/o
Worrying about calories!

This message was edited Nov 17, 2008 2:08 PM

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I don't mind the snow, but we rarely get them here. However, I haven't got frost yet. Here is my frost-indicators; my EE as long as these are still waving to the breez. Jack frost arrival isn't here. :-)

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Staten Island, NY(Zone 7a)

Good morning from Staten Island, N.Y.~
Is that part of a watergarden w/ the Elephant Ears? I think I have seen pictures of them in watergardens.
I gave a friend a tuber{?}
and the family was amazed @ the greenery that came up as I gave her a large tuber{?}
They are so beautiful!
Take care,
Carol =^.^=

Thumbnail by trees4me
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Carol, my EE is planted in a well drained soil. They're hardy here in our zone. Some EE will tolerate wet feet. However, with a cool to moderately cold winter, the tubers will be frozen especially if stay wet-feet.

Ahhhh, this weekend will mark my first frost! Though, frost arrived a month sooner than it did last year. :((

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.